{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}

Tyres (Buses and Coaches) Act 2015  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

AL2016
(@al2016)
02/07/2019 8:37 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I rise today to present to the House, the Tyres (Buses and Coaches) Act 2015. This legislation would make it unlawful to operate a public service transport vehicle, a bus or coach, with tyres that are over 10 years old, and ensure that the annual MOT of such a vehicle checks and records the age of tyres.

There is widespread acceptance that old tyres kill, and there are too many examples of people dying – families being torn apart – because of tyres that had been, under current law, legal but which had deteriorated due to age.

On 10th September 2012, Michael Molloy died as he returned home as a passenger on a coach from a musical festival on the Isle of Wight. Two others, Kerry Ogden and Colin Daulby, also lost their lives, with others being injured. The crash, according to a coroner, was caused by a 19.5 year old tyre that had been recently fitted. This tyre was older than Michael and should never have been legal to fit. It had burst catastrophically because of its age, but had no outward sign to show the dangerous condition it was in. The coroner wrote to the Secretary of State for Transport with his concern that: “public service vehicles carrying passengers are able perfectly legally to drive on tyres that have no restriction as to their age and which, by reason of their age may be in a perilously dangerous condition which there is no realistic means of detecting”.

We can save lives by banning these dangerous old tyres from our roads. Despite compelling evidence on the need to act, the Government has merely in the past issued guidance stating that ““strongly recommends that tyres over 10 years old should not be fitted to the front axles of buses and coaches” and that “Such tyres should be fitted only to the rear axles of vehicles as part of a twin tyre combination.” It is time that we send a clear signal that public safety comes first regarding coach and bus travel.  

Bill: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QHiwZGUjAaaLtpCGTWx6IBOBJrNfGkDXb97T7dRj_8c/edit?usp=sharing

Emma Hollens
MP for Hull North (2010 - )

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@mhc)
02/07/2019 11:00 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I beg this bill move to it's second reading.

Meredith Hansen-Charles
Cambridge
Secretary of State for Education
Minister for Women and Equalities

ReplyQuote
Andy
 Andy
(@adminandy)
Member A-team
05/07/2019 9:15 pm  

Mr Speaker

Second Reading!

ReplyQuote
Caroline Blakesley
(@caroline-blakesley)
Prime Minister & MP for Hammersmith
09/07/2019 2:23 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I rise to thank my Rt Hon Friend, the Transport Secretary, for introducing this legislation today. In her opening statement before the House she provided but a glimpse of the tragedies that poor regulation of vehicle safety can cause. It is our duty, as a Government, to ensure that these sorts of tragedies do not occur again in our nation.

Sadly, the need to prevent such occurrences were lost to previous governments. However, one must pick up the slack where they can. And this bill will do just that.

Tyre maintenance may seem like a mundane topic - however it is one critical to the maintenance of our buses and coaches. In areas of the country that depend on bus transport, these regulations will have a multitude of impacts. First, Mr Speaker, they will prevent tragedies like the one outlined by my Rt Hon Friend from occurring. Second, Mr Speaker, it is near universally acknowledged that younger tyres, for lack of a better term, hold air pressure better. This is part of the reason why they are less likely to burst. However, holding air pressure better also allows the vehicle on which the tyres are placed to achieve better fuel efficiency. Not only is this a matter of public safety, Mr Speaker, this is a matter of going green.

I will be happy to support this legislation going forward, Mr Speaker. And I join with my Rt Hon Friend in commending it to the House!

Caroline Blakesley
Prime Minister
MP for Hammersmith

Parliamentary: Unknown (13)
Media: Unknown (17)
Policy: Unknown (16)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
09/07/2019 5:06 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I would like to thank the Right Honourable Lady for an advanced copy of her statement.

I doubt we will find many in this House, Mr Speaker, who do not approve of the intention, method, or delivery of this legislation however I will query one aspect of it. Mr Speaker at present this legislation does not include a penalty for driving with tires over the age of ten years old in it. I therefore suggest the following amendment for consideration:

6. Offences under this Act

a. It shall be an offence, punishable by a £60 spot fine and 3 points on your license to be found in control of a vehicle described by this act with tyres over ten years old
         i) Should an individual be found to be continuing to drive with tyres over the age of ten years old then the courts may issue a fine of no more than £500 per subsequent offence

b. It shall be an offence for a company to send out a driver in a vehicle covered by this act with tyres over the age of ten years punishable by a fine not exceeding £500 for each tyre for each vehicle in breach

c. The offences covered by this section shall be treated as strict liability offences

Mr Speaker, I urge the Government to accept this amendment as a deterrent to those who would seek to attempt to circumvent the rules and safety procedures put in place by this act.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
10/07/2019 1:48 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I welcome the spirit of the Opposition in engaging with this legislation and I hope it will continue while I ask a question:  

The vast majority of people who drive buses and coaches do so on behalf of a company. Is the intention of the Right Honourable Gentleman to criminalise employees for the failings of employers? 

Emma Hollens

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
10/07/2019 3:08 pm  

Mr Speaker,

It is a principle of contract law that a contract cannot be used to enforce illegal behaviour, perhaps the amendment may itself be amended to provide more explicit protections for employed drivers.

6. Offences under this Act

a. It shall be an offence, punishable by a £60 spot fine, 3 points on your license to be found in control of a vehicle described by this act with tyres over ten years old, and if judged to be necessary by the attending officer the confiscation of the vehicle
         i) Should an individual be found to be continuing to drive with tyres over the age of ten years old then the courts may issue a fine of no more than £500 per subsequent offence
        ii) Should an individual be driving the vehicle covered by this act in the service of an employer and they cannot reasonably be expected to know the tyres are over the age specified by this act then the employer shall be liable for the fines in sections 6(a) and 6(a)(i) and the points specified in section 6(a) shall be waived

b. It shall be an offence for a company to send out a driver in a vehicle covered by this act with tyres over the age of ten years punishable by a fine not exceeding £500 for each tyre for each vehicle in breach

c. The offences covered by this section shall be treated as strict liability offences

I believe that the new amendment will more adequately and explicitly protect employees allowing us to move forward in a manner befitting a cross-party consensus

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
10/07/2019 4:14 pm  

Division, clear the lobbies!

Rick the Admin - The Resident Psephologist
Admin for Cabinet, PM's Office, DPM's Office, Defence, Energy, Regions, Environment, Transport, Communities, Elections, and Advisor to Labour and the Lib Dems

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
10/07/2019 8:52 pm  

Aye (What are we doing with the amendment?)

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Holson
(@holson)
11/07/2019 3:55 am  

Aye

Samuel Holson
Labour MP for Bishop Auckland (2005-Present)
Parliamentary Experience: Unknown (9)
Media Experience: Unknown (4)
Policy Experience: Unknown(4)

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
11/07/2019 4:52 pm  

Aye

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 51
Policy - 46

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
11/07/2019 9:35 pm  

Aye.

Emma Hollens

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
11/07/2019 11:58 pm  

Aye.

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Noah Murray
(@recks)
12/07/2019 6:22 am  

Aye.

Noah Murray (LAB-West Ham)
Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
Parliamentary: Unknown (12)
Media: Unknown (19)
Policy: Unknown (8)

ReplyQuote
Samantha Ryan