{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}

London  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
20/07/2019 9:56 pm  

Campaign here for Mayor of London, London Assembly, and the Senate seats in London.

Rick the Admin - The Resident Psephologist
Admin for Cabinet, PM's Office, DPM's Office, Defence, Energy, Regions, Environment, Transport, Communities, Elections, and Advisor to Labour and the Lib Dems

Kandler
(@kandler)
Member A-team
23/07/2019 8:12 am  

London mayoral billboard one

Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence Moderator
Media Supremo

ReplyQuote
Kandler
(@kandler)
Member A-team
23/07/2019 9:25 am  

Conservative HPE Day 1 - Manifesto Launch

FELICITY MOORE:

“For eight years, a Conservative mayor in City Hall has delivered for London.

Boris Johnson delivered 500,000 new jobs, 100,000 new affordable homes, and an expansion of the London Living Wage. Boris cut knife crime by 17%, slashed the murder rate in half, planted 20,000 new trees and created over 200,000 new apprenticeships. Council tax fell by 10%, and improved air quality across London has made our capital greener.

With a Conservative Mayor in office, London has thrived. Just a few years ago the Olympics came to our great city, and dazzled the world with the heat of Britain’s flame.

After eight years in City Hall, Boris is moving on - it’s time for fresh blood, a fresh vision and a fresh leader. But it’s also time for someone who will continue the Conservative legacy of success in London: someone who will build on what we have achieved to date, and go on to achieve much, much more.

London needs a leader, not Labour. It needs a leader who believes optimistically and totally in this city’s future: and it needs a visionary who can forge that future, making the greatest city on Earth the freest, fairest, most open and most green. World-leading, not following; world-beating. London needs a man with the character, the conviction and the credentials to build a London in which opportunity exists for all, in which everyone has security - security in housing, security from crime, security in good public services - and in which our critical infrastructure drives forward investment from businesses, creating jobs and growing the economy.

In short, London a quiet revolution. The man to deliver it, our quiet revolutionary, joins me here today. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome James Cleverly.”

JAMES CLEVERLY:

“Thank you, Felicity, and thank you everyone.

I believe that Boris has done a fantastic job as Mayor of London. He has made our great city stand taller, feel stronger and lead more convincingly. Among his many accomplishments are the instilling of a real sense of community amongst Londoners once; a sense that this a place where, wherever you come from, whatever the colour of your skin or the number of noughts on your payslip, every man and woman can aspire, achieve and thrive.

London needs a Mayor who will continue the good work of Boris in building a London that works for everyone, continuing to champion the investment in infrastructure and public services that are his legacy. The murder rate has fallen by 50%; we need to keep it low. We have built 100,000 new homes; I want to build 200,000 more. We have cut council tax across the board and raised wages: I want to go further, and ensure that Londoners keep more of their own money than ever before.

So I will be a Mayor who is true to the legacy of Boris Johnson’s eight fantastic years in office.

But I will also be a new leader with a new and ambitious vision. If elected, I will become the most senior directly elected man of black or minority ethnic origin in Britain’s history. I am someone who looks different, sounds different and who can offer something new: more reflective of London’s rich diversity, and more representative of all its communities.

I want to be a leader for all Londoners, not just those who vote for me. So whilst my job in this campaign is to win your trust, my job should I be elected over a four year term will be to win your faith. Wherever you come from, I want you to know that I am your representative in Britain and the world: I want you to know that I will stand up always for your individual freedoms, fighting hard for a freer, fairer, more open London. I believe passionately in the maximisation of opportunity, and that comes only with the liberation of the economy and of society from the whims of politicians, and with the liberation of the disadvantaged from despair. I want to build One London, an undisputed global capital of opportunity, of chance, of hard work paying off - of everyone getting a fair bite of the apple.

I want One London to be a city in which we have more and better houses, and more affordable houses, with a commitment to build 200,000 in four years. I want One London to be a city which embraces technology and which leads the world in its application rather than following, with a commitment to deliver free 4G service throughout the tube network and a pledge to push hard for the first 5G trials to happen here in our capital city.

I want One London to be a city where young people are optimistic about their future, full of hope and aspiration, and able to fulfil their dreams: when the next generation can expect to do better than any before it, and where every fresh start is a certain success. That’s why I will offer free tube, bus and rail travel to all under-18s, as well as students and apprentices.

I want One London to be a city where we prepare for the future rather than looking to the past, and where we embrace the need to invest in our critical infrastructure to create not only a more prosperous and modern city, but a more green and sustainable one too. That is why I will commit to building new cycle superhighways, as well as the garden bridge, and to completing the CrossRail project.

I want One London to be a safe city, where we build on the work of the past eight years in bringing crime down to historic lows. I want One London to be a London in which people are secure in their homes, secure on their streets, and secure during their commutes. So I will recruit 10,000 additional special constables to augment the Metropolitan Police Service, and fully support the creation of a single police force coterminous with the boundaries of London. I will invest in visible neighbourhood policing and support the use of stop and search, whilst communicating clearly - from my own unique perspective as a black man - the need to engage with marginalised communities and bring them onboard in the knowledge that we are working for them too.

I want One London to be a city where you keep more of your own money. Council tax will continue to fall under my mayoralty, and I will support Conservative national proposals to cut income tax to 15%, slash corporation tax, dramatically reduce business rates, cut the beer duty to support our pubs and eliminate capital gains tax.

Finally, I want One London to be the best place on Earth to be born, to grow up, to learn and to start a career. That is why, with a renewed focus on education and lifelong learning, I will deliver an Opportunity Agenda which transforms aspiration into achievement and which delivers, from the potential and the possibility, the pioneering and the proud. I will deliver world-leading and world-beating public services alongside comprehensive investment in public services; and I will be an honest, forthright and tireless advocate for London and her people.

If you believe in London’s future, vote for a candidate who does too. Lend me your vote and I will give you my most committed and humbled service: lend me your faith, and together we can transform your lives, and build One London of which we can all be proud.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to unveil my manifesto for London’s future.”

MANIFESTO:

One London with James Cleverly

Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Media Supremo

ReplyQuote
Kandler
(@kandler)
Member A-team
23/07/2019 1:36 pm  

London mayoral billboard 2

Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Media Supremo

ReplyQuote
Kandler
(@kandler)
Member A-team
23/07/2019 2:17 pm  

Mainstreeting

Felicity Moore went canvassing throughout London with James Cleverly. She handed out leaflets (attached) and spoke to voters about a number of key issues.

Felicity was particularly keen to talk about housing, illustrating James’s commitment to build 200,000 new homes and speaking about the need to bring prices down for working class Londoners. She also spoke about how a Conservative mayor would be able to lobby the government, and throw his weight behind Conservative housing policies, which she illustrated in detail.

The United Kingdom’s housing costs are now amongst the highest on earth, the economic and social impacts severe. Since 1970, the average price of a house has risen four and a half-fold after inflation. No other OECD country has experienced a price increase of this magnitude over this period. London is virtually the most expensive major city in the world for renting or buying a home per square foot. People often avoid moving to work in productive sectors because nearby housing is too expensive. The proportion of Britons who need financial support for housing is almost unique.

The 1947 Town and Country Planning Act put land use under unprecedented statutory control, and the resulting regulation has caused at least half the rise in house prices over the last generation. The ‘green belts’ the Act created have grown far beyond what was planned, more than doubling in size since the 1970s, taking in derelict and already developed land, leading to building on more attractive areas. The complex and bureaucratic planning system has favoured big housebuilding corporations over small builders. The resulting identikit estates have helped drive Nimbyism.

Since the war, government has also centralised taxation. With 95 per cent of tax collected centrally, local authorities have little incentive to allow housebuilding in order to gain additional revenue from new residents.

National-level taxes drive house prices higher: Stamp Duty hinders downsizing, and tax on buy-to-let landlords increases rents.

Central government control over the housing market was intended to provide homes, preserve an attractive environment, and enhance our cities. It has failed on every count. Radical action is needed to lower housing costs. This means allowing more homes to be built by removing fiscal and regulatory barriers that hinder supply.

Tax distortions at a national level should be reversed; then government can begin the process of tax devolution. For example, Stamp Duty could be cut, simplified, and then devolved to local government; non-property Inheritance Tax should be cut to the level of property, and Capital Gains Tax abolished. Discrimination against buy-to-let landlords should be ended.

More government land can be used for housing. Reverse Compulsory Purchase Orders – effectively a new Right to Buy – would allow the private sector to demand its sale. In addition, a cabinet minister could be given responsibility for identifying and releasing state land.

Where green belt land achieves none of its official purposes, it can be selectively re-classified, with a presumed right to development. Most green belt land should remain, however. This proposal should apply in particular to derelict or already-developed sites. Green belt land near transport hubs should be a declassification priority, including Metropolitan Green Belt land within realistic walking distance of a railway station. The amount of green belt land needed is very small: freeing up just 3.9 per cent of London’s green belt could create one million new homes.

Felicity also spoke extensively about law and order, illustrating the success of Boris Johnson in cutting the murder rate by 50% and slashing the rate of violent crime.

Boris delivered for London; he halved the murder rate, slashed violent crime and put more bobbies on the streets. That’s how you know a new Conservative mayor will continue to deliver; giving you security in your homes, your communities, on your streets and at work.

James will recruit an additional 10,000 special constables to augment London’s policing, and will be an ardent supporter of stop and search whilst supporting marginalised communities to ensure that the policy is applied evenly and driven by intelligence. James will seek to develop a single police service for the whole of London, and will invest heavily in visible neighbourhood policing to ensure that our most vulnerable communities feel safe.

James will have a zero tolerance approach to hate crime of any kind, and will increase the police presence on public transport to identify and act on instances of discriminative behaviour in public.

James is a reservist in the armed forces, and knows the role of discipline in young people’s lives. By driving up standards in education and engaging with a comprehensive Opportunity Agenda for lifelong learning, James will eliminate underemployment and deprivation in London, abolishing in-work poverty and upskilling the disenfranchised and the disillusioned to target the causes of crime as well as its symptoms. 

Finally, Felicity talked about the environment, speaking of the need to protect London’s green spaces and clean up its air.

Boris has delivered cleaner air in London; James Cleverly will make it cleaner still. By investing in public transport, introducing free 4G on all tube services, offering free tube, bus and rail travel to under-18s, students and apprentices, building new cycle superhighways and introducing a New Electric Cab for London - as well as completing the rollout of the New Routemaster - James will work to ease road congestion and reduce air pollution.

The revived ringways project will reduce traffic pressures in the inner cities, and the completion of Crossrail - fought for by Boris - will deliver faster east-west journey times.

To go green in this election, there is only one choice: to vote blue.

Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Media Supremo

ReplyQuote
Samantha Ryan
(@junkyardcat)
Green
23/07/2019 4:21 pm  

Samantha Ryan, leader of the Green party and MP for Brighton Pavillion, hit the streets of London with Senate candidate Sian Berry and a number of Green volunteers, talking to voters about the upcoming elections.

She opened dialogues by asking voters about their top election priorities. A variety of responses are provided below.

To those that mentioned the environment, she said;

“I am absolutely with you in terms of concern for the environment. I’m sure you’ll know, for example, about the enormous health risks posed by the poisonous air that’s being breathed in, in the city. We are now similarly experiencing rocketing temperatures, in what is expected to be on the hottest Summers in human history. And both of those are because of the damage that we, as a nation and a species, are inflicting on a planet that just can’t fight back. But I think the environment, particularly in London, is a two factor issue. There is real and legitimate concern about how we help to stave off climate change - and I think we need to be doing a lot more to tackle it - but there is also concern for the social environment that Londers exist in. I’m increasingly aware that it’s not just about air pollution here, it’s also about how it feels to live on a main road, how it feels to be without sizeable green spaces in more residential areas of the city. I think the elections that are coming up here - for the Assembly, for the Mayoralty, and for the Senate, can begin to provide the answers to some of these issues. I’m out here with Sian Berry, who’s our Mayoral candidate, and a Senate candidate for the city, she’s just over there and i’ll bring her over so you can chat to her in a minute if you’d like. And in two of the three elections, for the Assembly and the Senate, we have a real opportunity to retain seats on the former, and break into the later, allowing us that chance to deliver what this city greatly needs in terms of environmental action. I’ve been really pleased that Labour, the Conservatives, and the Lib Dems have all started to get their heads together on this issue - in Parliament, for example, I proposed an amendment to a good Conservative motion on hydro energy generation, and had that tweaked by the Labour minister responsible for the sector. It’s that kind of cooperation that can help bring about action in this area. And whilst all three are now highlighting the environment as a key issue, I'm not content to sit on my laurels and just hope that they keep it going. We’ve yet to see admissions about the real threat environmental damage poses to life on our planet, nor a truly realistic approach to climate change - so voting Green means that the pressure stays on them. The more votes we get, the harder they have to work on the environment to get them next time. The major parties have always been preoccupied with ‘winning’ votes. Make it harder for them to do so - and get action. It’s as simple as that.”

To those that mentioned poverty, she said;

“Poverty is undoubtedly one of the key issues that befalls our nation, particularly here in London, which suffers from some of the worst adult and child poverty, rates anywhere in the United Kingdom. It is not acceptable that in modern Britain, parents are forced to go hungry for the simple sake of feeding their kids during school holidays. It is despicable that single mothers are have to resort to sex work to suplement benefits. And yet our nation and our governments have allowed for these occurrences to develop into widespread injustices. For the Senate and London Assembly elections, the Greens are projected to hold enough seats to play a significant role in affecting and enacting policy to defeat poverty once and for all. I do not think, for one moment, that any other party disagrees with my assessment of poverty, but they’ve had enough time to deal with it, and haven’t got far enough. I champion Labour’s record in its last government for focusing hard on bringing child and pensioner poverty down significantly, but the job needs to be finished, not pushed down the national order paper of importance. Green AMs and Senators will aid in that process, and put defeating poverty on the agenda as one of our top priorities.”

To those that mentioned the state of politics, she said;

“I think we have reached a point with our politics that can no longer go on. It has become an endless cycle of infighting amongst politicians, which is drawing vital attention away from the issues that this country rapidly needs to tackle. That’s not the fault of any one politicians, or any one political party - it’s part of the culture that has developed and engulfed Westminster. I believe that this needs to end. I want to replace political brinkmanship, with love. It’s an odd statement for someone in my job to make - but isn't it wrong that politics causes us to despise one another? We’re calling for a radical rethink of how politics exists, and who it works for. At its core, politics should be about delivering on the needs of voters. In our failure to do so, we are disregarding our very purpose. We are not going to form the next government - we know that. But we can begin to change the toxic climate that is tearing Britain apart for the sake of political games. That begins - I firmly believe - with a no tolerance approach to party politics. It serves no purpose to wildly and blindly attack anyone that does things differently, even if you disagree with them. We must all, as politicians, commend each other when we do things right. I am not a Tory, but I commend them for picking up tidal energy as a cause for progress. I am not a Labour member, but I commend them for the resilience they have shown in turbulent times for their party. I am not a Liberal Democrat, but I commend them for getting political reform through the Houses of Parliament. But I am one MP, we need 649 more - and a Senate full - to follow this same path.”

To those she spoke to, and any passersby, she handed this leaflet. The details are changed to fit the constituency. The three circles on the second page are peelable stickers that can be worn.

OOC: I don't have time to do a second mainstreeting, so I guess passersby can just have this second leaflet.

MP for Brighton Pavilion (2014-Present)

ReplyQuote
Samantha Ryan
(@junkyardcat)
Green
23/07/2019 4:22 pm  

NATIONWIDE SENATE BILLBOARDS x2

MP for Brighton Pavilion (2014-Present)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
23/07/2019 9:01 pm  

William Croft Main Street - Day 1/MS 2

Arriving in London, William heads to a town hall event open to all voters. Before speaking he makes his rounds amongst the crowd, meeting with voters, answering their questions, and talking about the pressing issues facing London. Speaking about the upcoming London Assembly, William said:

As the Opposition in the London Assembly, the Conservative Party has been able to hold Labour to account and stop their attempt to frustrate the progress brought about by our phenomenal mayor, Boris Johnson. There is so much more to be done, however, and that means securing a majority in the Assembly and ensuring the Conservative Party is able to deliver for the people of London and for all those who rely on the City as an engine of economic growth. With your help, we'll be able to keep taxes low, continue to attract foreign investment that will create jobs and new opportunity, and continue to pursue our green energy agenda. In Westminster, the Labour-led Coalition Government has gone out of their way to make it harder to do business here, to allow the EU to impose regulations that hurt London, and to make it more expensive for local banks to invest capitol back into job creators. A Conservative majority will be empowered to push back against a Coalition Government woefully unable to manage our economy, and ensure London has the forward momentum needed to promote economic growth for all. 

As William concludes his speech, the floor is opened for attendees to ask questions. One woman asks William how the Conservative Party will continue to move London forward after Boris Johnson's term ends. William replies: 

Under Boris Johnson's leadership, London became safer, greener, and a better place to do business. That is why it's so critical we elect James Cleverly the next mayor of London, because he's the only candidate in a position to continue the work Boris started. James is running on a pro-growth, pro-worker, pro-environment agenda. He has an optimistic vision for London, underscored by his long career of fighting for Britain, both as a solider in Her Majesty's Armed Forces and as a dedicated public servant passionate about doing right by Londoners. Jame's is a running on a platform aimed at making London the greatest city in the world to live in, work in, and raise a family in. He'll build 200,000 more council homes, put thousands of more police on the streets, and cut taxes for hardworking Londoners. His One London Agenda is precisely how we'll move London forward, and I'm thrilled to be supporting it. 

Answering the final question for the evening, William responds to a gentlemen saying he's not whether to vote Conservative or UKIP in the upcoming Senate elections. In answering, William says: 

To those who remain unsure about who they will vote for in our country's first-ever Senate election, I say this: imagine the damage the Coalition Government would have been able to do to our country if it were not for the strong Opposition the Conservative Party has been able to provide. The Government wanted to bring 250,000 refugees into our country as tools for economic growth with literally no plan. They tried to break the pension triple lock, and the armed forces triple lock. They attempted to torpedo the Scotland Act solely out of political motivation. The Coalition Government has made it clear that they need to be checked and held accountable at every turn, and the best way to do that is a Conservative-controlled Senate. No other vote, for any other party, will provide the oversight and accountability needed to keep this Government in line. We must restore transparency to Parliament, accountability to the Government, and trust in our legal institutions. That can only happen with a Conservative majority in the Senate. If you're still not convinced, see me after tonight's event, I'm happy to talk your ear off about it. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
Kandler
(@kandler)
Member A-team
23/07/2019 10:18 pm  

Mainstreeting 2

Flyer attached

Felicity Moore went mainstreeting with James Cleverly and Boris Johnson, the incoming and outgoing Mayors of London.

She spoke in detail about the Conservative commitment to young people and supporting education and lifelong learning, highlighting James Cleverly’s proposal to offer free tube, rail and bus travel to under-18s, students and apprentices, and about the Conservative commitment to make student loans more generous so that young people can afford the basis necessities for their education.

She also spoke about the Conservative nationwide policy to create a £500 training pot for every person in the UK every year, to be used for accredited training courses, and plans to require employers to grant five days of special leave per year for training.

The Conservatives’ Opportunity Agenda, she said, would help to transform aspiration into achievement and deliver for every Briton the chance to strive, succeed and fulfil their destiny. For the sake of their children and for the future more broadly, Felicity encouraged people to vote Conservative: if they believe in London’s future, and Britain’s future, they should vote for it.

Felicity also spoke extensively about the need to hold the government to account, warning that government control of the senate, London assembly and mayoralty would leave almost no checks and balances in place on the power of the Prime Minister. She elucidated the government’s failures over the past two years, including the omnishambles budget and Wardgate, and said that on many occasions the Conservatives had provided the strong opposition to right the coalition’s wrongs.

She said that the Conservatives were now a government in waiting, and that putting Conservative senators, Conservative assembly members and a Conservative mayor in office would send a sharp message to the government to stop playing games and start serving the people.

Felicity highlighted the mayoral pledges of new cycle superhighways, 200,000 extra homes, 10,000 extra special constables, free 4G on all tube services and comprehensive plans to ease inner-city congestion and pollution. She said that the Conservatives would forge the future, and that with people like James Cleverly, Boris Johnson and William Hague in office, Britain could lead - and beat - the world.

Finally, Felicity spoke about the need to address the housing crisis worldwide and spoke of Conservative plans which could create millions of homes in London alone simply by allowing greenbelt development on less than 4% of registered land in London - areas within 15 minutes of a railway station. She said that housing was fast turning into a crisis which future generations would have to deal with unless we acted now: the Conservatives are ready to act, she said, and with your vote, we can deliver the real, visionary leadership that all our communities so badly need.

Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Media Supremo

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
23/07/2019 11:13 pm  

Graham Adiputera went mainstreeting throughout London to support Liberal Democrat candidates, both for the special Senate elections and the London Mayoral/Assembly elections. 

On the candidates:

“Caroline Pidgeon is an excellent candidate for London Mayor and I urge every Londoner to give her their first preference vote - she will deliver a safer and more prosperous London, a more vibrant and more welcoming city, a cleaner and greener city. Her history as a campaigner - on issues from childcare to knife crime - is a sterling one. She’s been a terrific Assembly member, standing up for liberal values for every Londoner, and will make a terrific executive. 

But at every level of the ballot we have truly phenomenal candidates, for both the Assembly and London’s Senate seats. For example, Meral Hussein-Ece, who has worked tirelessly for racial equality and to help the survivors of domestic violence throughout her career. Pauline Pearce, the Heroine of Hackney, who courageously stood up to rioters and has led the way on fighting knife crime and easing community tensions. Brian Paddick, once the UK’s most senior openly gay police officer, an advocate of radical and evidence-based drugs law reform, a long-time champion of London. Claire Tyler, committed campaigner on mental health, on families, on social mobility and well-being, long driving policy conversations here. These are just some of the amazing candidates that are standing to be Liberal Democrat Senators - they’re all proven champions in their communities and represent London’s diversity and openness.” 

On the Conservative campaign:

“As flashy as the Conservative manifesto for London may be, on the key issues, it is either miles behind where the other parties are - especially on critical issues such as public transport and the environment - or they’re just showing, again, how out of touch they are with ordinary Londoners. We see more evidence of their catastrophic u-turns - don’t forget that they’ve flip-flopped not once but twice on Crossrail, and now we can add rail and bus fares to the issues where they’ve pulled not just a u-turn but a roundabout. They’re immensely unreliable. 

We also see the flaws in their education strategy. Not content with proposing real-terms cuts to the pupil premium that helps the most disadvantaged students, they now want to impose one-size-fits-all forced academisation on our city’s schools.

On the issues where they are right, they’re way behind the government. While the Conservatives talk about issues such as faster broadband, more support for electric vehicles, fighting homelessness, hiring more police officers, and investing more in buses and trains, we have been tackling these issues head-on. It was the Conservatives, after all, who voted against giving more money to support electric vehicle charge point infrastructure. The Conservatives voted against the Homelessness Action Fund. The Conservatives voted against the budget that hired 20,000 more police officers. The Conservatives voted against much of our plan to support small businesses gain access to capital and advisory services. The Conservatives voted against our investments in public transport. On the issues where the Conservative manifesto promises leadership for London, they are years behind what the Liberal Democrats in government are doing.”

On local London issues:

“We were the only party in the last general election to commit to vetoing Heathrow expansion and we - unlike the Conservatives, who still dodge that question - have made sure that Heathrow expansion will never happen in this parliament. We have put air quality on the agenda, championing greener fuels, greener vehicles and greener jobs, creating new powers to implement Ultra Low Emission Zones. We have championed safer streets, hiring thousands more police officers. We have championed more investment in public transport - spending more on buses and trains, keeping fares low, championing the Night Tube, Crossrail and services such as the Croydon Tramlink. 

We also know what needs to be done to make London’s economy tick. We have been delivering, through increased investment and a pro-entrepreneurship environment of capital and regulation, on supporting the industries and businesses that matter most to London’s future, such as tech startups, finance and the creative sector. We are the only party with a comprehensive plan to save the city’s nightlife - reforming licencing and planning laws - and to preserve the pubs that are vital to so many communities - by protecting independent pubs.” 

ACCOMPANYING LEAFLET: 

On the front side of the leaflet, a large landscape picture of the London skyline, with amber text reading “THE LIBERAL DEMOCRATS: STANDING UP FOR LONDON” and the following text underneath it:

“While the Tories retreat to insular and divisive politics, the Liberal Democrats share London’s values: entrepreneurial, concerned about the environment and the world that we live in, eager to respect each other’s differences and help out those in need. We have championed policies that support London’s growth - from supporting innovation to fighting air pollution, from opposing Heathrow to standing up for immigrants - at every turn.” 

The back side of the leaflet, flanked by pictures of candidates for local government and the Senate meeting with voters, continues to talk about Lib Dem achievements and values. Various text boxes, again accompanied by icons, go into detail about what the Lib Dems have achieved or will go on to achieve. 

ENDING AUSTERITY…

Under the Liberal Democrats, the “pupil premium” to support disadvantaged students has more than doubled; the worst austerity cuts are being reversed and then some; NHS and school spending is growing in real terms; and we are investing more in infrastructure and housing. 

...WHILE SUPPORTING BUSINESS AND FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY

Under the Liberal Democrats, access to capital and advisory services for small and medium businesses has expanded, through the British Business Bank, and billions more is being invested in research and innovation to keep our economy on the cutting edge. We have championed a regulatory relief act, helping businesses deal with red tape, and a new strategy to support local enterprise hubs and businesses scale up. We are bringing the deficit down, faster than the Tories would, through fiscal discipline and an aggressive fight against tax dodging. 

PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT

The Liberal Democrats are the leaders on protecting our environment. We have fought for more money for environmental protection, have cut subsidies for fossil fuels, and have invested billions in green jobs and decarbonising our economy. We are currently leading the way on a bill to green our transport sector and implement a National Air Quality Plan. With your support, we will champion a new Nature Act to preserve our natural beauty, continue British leadership in new climate change legislation, and continue moving towards a zero-waste economy. 

TACKLING BURNING INJUSTICES

The Liberal Democrats have taken action on some of the most burning injustices in our society - making up for underinvestment in mental health, supporting those with disabilities in getting the skills and opportunities they need, fighting homelessness and period poverty, repealing the bedroom tax, standing up for the rights of refugees, fighting the gender and race pay gaps. There is more to do - the Liberal Democrats are committed to an equalities agenda, supporting LGBT+ equality, banning upskirting and female genital mutilation, promoting civil liberties by repealing draconian laws.

FIXING OUR BROKEN POLITICS

The Liberal Democrats are the champions of political reform - votes at 16; proportional representation; replacing the House of Lords with the Senate; supporting devolution and localism to empower communities and give power to the people. 

At the bottom of the page there is both the legally required text and a form that can be cut out, allowing the recipient to get in touch with the candidate, either to discuss issues, to request GOTV assistance, or to offer support.

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
23/07/2019 11:14 pm  

ADMIN NOTE: ALTHOUGH THIS IS BLOODY OBVIOUS, THIS IS A HPE

Emma Hollens joined Tom Copley's and London Labour's manifesto launch - Our Plan for Our London. Emma spoke first.

Friends,

It is so great to be here in London. I was so glad when Tom asked me to introduce him today at the launch of his plan for London. After eight years of Conservative failure, Tom is going to be fresh air after a stale administration.

Tom has been leading the way on the Greater London Assembly in holding the disastrous Conservative Mayor to account. He’s been standing up for working people, supporting communities to prosper, and fight for a London economy that works for everyone, not just the City. And it is to his credit, that Tom managed – despite all the odds – to persuade a Conservative Mayor to introduce support for small theatres.   

You’ll hear the Conservatives boast about all the good they have supposedly done for London, but remember three fundamental facts: rents have outpaced incomes; thousands still die because of air pollution; and fares are taking an ever-larger slice of peoples incomes. That’s not a record to be proud of.

And what have the Conservatives being doing? Pursuing vanity projects that just work for the richest few, and not for all of London. Routemasters, cable car, and the Garden Bridge: three failures, three wastes of money, and three distractions from the policies London needs.

I am proud that Tom is putting homes, public transport, and clean air at the heart of his campaign for London Mayor – and at the heart of his term in office. As Mayor, he can deliver real action that will benefit millions, rather than the Tory vanity projects.

Tom is the candidate in this race that you can trust to deliver. For four years of delivery, four years of improvement, and four years of working together to build a better London, there is only one choice: Tom. I can’t wait to see what he will do.

Let’s welcome the next Mayor of London: Tom Copley.  

Tom Copley walks on stage.

Thank you, Emma for that introduction and for all the work you are doing in government to promote public transport, tackling a failing private rented sector, and clean our air. It is a pleasure to call you a friend and colleague.

Ladies and gentleman,

The past eight years have been eight years of failure: eight years of failure to get to grips with the biggest challenges facing our city; eight years of failure to tackle the biggest problems which threaten our prosperity; and eight years of failure to prepare our community for what may lie ahead in the future.

We cannot afford another four years of failure, inaction, and missed opportunity. We can’t afford four more years of failure to tackle air pollution, spread prosperity, and ensure a housing market that works for all. Let us be clear what the Conservatives’ record is:

• Homelessness up, and rents skyrocketing;
  • More unaffordable homes built;
  • Thousands die a year due to air pollution;
  • Millions wasted on a garden bridge that has gone nowhere;

Indeed the past eight years have been white elephant after white elephant, vanity project after vanity project when what London really needed was infrastructure that works for all, an economy that works for all, and a housing market that works for all.  Whatever the Conservatives promise in this election, remember we can never trust them. Remember when they first supported Crossrail, then opposed it, and then support it again after the pressure we all put on them. London can’t afford Tory u-turns, it needs a long-term plan: a Labour plan. 

That is why I am releasing Our Plan for Our London: a radical set of policies, designed to tackle the biggest challenges facing our communities. From giving every child the best start in life to providing everyone with the skills and opportunity people need, from affordable homes for all Londoners to protecting the things that make our communities strong, Labour has the plan to make London a better place to live.

I am proud to place two key ideas at the heart of my campaign. They are both very important to me – indeed, they were why I came into elected politics – and I know they are very important to Emma too: housing and clean air.

I supported the government when they declared clean air to be a human right. It is such an important issue for this city, where our air is so dirty that it is actually illegal. Too many people die, too many people see their lives shortened, and too many people suffer from ill-health because of air pollution.

This is such a critical issue of social justice too. Many of the people most at risk from air pollution are the poorest, the disabled, and children. Isn’t it obscene that often the areas with the worst air pollution are where our schools are? 50 years after the passage of the Clean Air Act, which came about before of the London Smog, and we still haven’t got clean air.  

Tackling air pollution will require effort right across our nation. But as the place where it is the worst, there is so much we can do for ourselves. Under the last Labour Mayor, we made massive strides in tackling air pollution, showing that we don’t have to wait for national government action. It is my determination that we lead the way again. Only with a Labour Mayor can this happen. By bringing forward the Ultra Low Emission Zone, by requiring Transport for London to purchase only clean buses, and by introduce Clean Walking Routes. The test of whether or not I have succeeded by 2020 is simple. In 2020, ask yourself this: can my child walk to school and not see their health harmed by air pollution? That is what I intend. Yes, we have to be radical; yes, we have to be bold. But after 8 years of inaction, I do not believe we can be anything else.

And on grappling with skyrocketing housing costs, we also have to be radical. With rent increases outpacing income growth, home ownership fading as a dream for Londoners, and rapidly increasing homelessness, London faces a crisis. It isn’t just working people who suffer by being unable to rent or own affordably, businesses and our economy suffers too. If high housing costs put off the best workers from living here, we all suffer.

The Mayor of London is in charge of one of the biggest cities in the world. Yet, unlike their counterparts in Europe and North America, they lack the ability to introduce any form of regulation over the housing market. I think that is wrong, and I am determined to campaign to give the London Mayor and the London Assembly these powers. Then we can start to get to grip with the crisis in our housing market, especially the private rented sector.

We aren’t going to build more affordable homes by fiddling the statistics so that actually unaffordable homes count as the Conservatives. We are going to build more affordable homes by building more genuinely affordable homes. I am committed to using all of the powers of the Mayor’s office, and a lot of the unused land owned by the Greater London Authority and Transport for London, to build more homes. They will be genuinely affordable, and available for Londoners first of all. Getting to grips with housing costs is a sensible pro-business, pro-worker, pro-community policy that I am proud to champion, and will be proud to implement as Mayor.

I am also committed to not just making renting or owning a home more affordable, but London a better place to live. That means protecting and promoting our green spaces and our cultural heritage. As Emma mentioned, I did succeed in securing support for smaller theatres but we need to go even further. It is time we provide funding to create new green and common spaces, and protect them from temporary privatisation every time a company wants to hold a festival or event on it. Our common land is for public benefit, not private benefit. And it is time we celebrate every Borough’s contribution to our cultural life, but this requires us to open up opportunities to every Londoner.

We offer London a radical plan: an end to 8 years of failure, an end to 8 years of vanity projects, and an end to 8 years of policies for the few, not the many.

We offer an economy for all, infrastructure for all, green spaces for all, a housing market for all. It offers fares frozen, air pollution tackled, homeownership affordable. This is all in reach of us, if we are bold. Let us work together to make London the best place to live, the best place to start a business, the best place to work. We can do this, but it requires all of us working together for Our London.

Thank you. 

Manifesto:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dv3JIKP4-slRIGc5PAdf_hzB0TATRADKzilcSgWD7Ac/edit?usp=sharing

This post was modified 5 months ago by Dan

Emma Hollens
MP for Hull North (2010 - )

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
23/07/2019 11:16 pm  

Emma Hollens, Secretary of State for Transport, joined Tom Copley, Labour’s candidate for Mayor of London, in Lewisham to speak to voters. She spoke about Tom’s plan on fares, housing, and air pollution.

To one voter, Emma said:

“For many people, the cost of travelling to work and around London is becoming ever more expensive. Fares are eating up an ever larger slice of a person’s income. As Mayor, Tom will introduce a hopper fare for buses so that you can make as many changes as you need within an hour. Tom has also committed to ensuring that fares will not rise by a single penny under his mayoralty. If they do, he will not stand for re-election because he is that serious about reducing the cost of travelling for Londoners.”

To a second voter, the Secretary of State said:

“London faces a housing crisis with private rents increasing faster than wages, homeownership declining, and skyrocketing homelessness. The next Mayor has to get to grips on this, fast. Tom has a plan to use all the powers of the Mayor to deliver thousands of genuinely affordable homes, not the statistically affordable but in reality not homes that the Tories promise. He will free up land to build more homes to buy or rent, and give you the first opportunity to buy them rather than rich foreigners who will leave them empty. Tom also wants London to have powers to regulate its own private rented sector, providing security of tenure and fair rents. London is the only major European or North American city that does not have these powers. I want to deliver these powers to the Mayor of London, and hopefully Tom’s election will give the campaign the boost it needs to convince people in other parties to support this. But only by voting Labour can this happen.”

To a third voter, Ms Hollens said:

“I think it is a national scandal that thousands of people die prematurely in London because of air pollution. That is why I declared clean air to be a human right in Parliament. In London, Labour has previously led the way on tackling air pollution and promoting a green environment. But 8 years of Tory rule has seen us go backwards. Tom isn’t content with the status quo, and has a radical plan to ensure London is leading the way. After delays, he will finally introduce the emissions zone covering central London so the most polluting cars are blocked from entering. But he also wants to ensure that public transport doesn’t contribute by requiring every bus to be clean by 2020, and clean walking paths to be introduced around our schools. By 2020, Tom wants every child to be able to go to school without being at risk of worsening health due to air pollution. That is a simple aim to make London a better place to live, but it can only be achieved by us working together and a Labour Mayor.”

Emma Hollens

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
23/07/2019 11:32 pm  

Emma Hollens, Secretary of State for Transport, joined Tom Copley, Labour’s candidate for Mayor of London, in New Cross to speak to voters. She spoke about Tom’s plan on infrastructure, green spaces, and community safety.

To one voter, Emma said:

“Over the past 8 years, we have had vanity project and white elephant after vanity project and white elephant thanks to the Conservatives. Thanks to the Tories we have Routemaster buses that are too hot, a cable car that no commuter uses, and a Garden Bridge that has cost taxpayers millions but currently goes nowhere. Tom is focused on delivering infrastructure that works for all: he supports Crossrail, more bike lanes, and a bigger London Overground network. Let’s use taxpayers’ money sensible, and in a way that prepares our economy for future economic growth is Tom’s argument. Only under a Labour Mayor can that be assured.”

To a second voter, the Secretary of State said:

“We have so many green spaces in London, and it is part of what makes London a great place to live despite all the challenges we face after 8 years of Tory rule. Tom will provide new funding to protect and extend the amount of green spaces available to everyone across London. This is a vital part of making good communities to live.

Tom is also committed to ending the temporary privatisation of our commonly owned spaces to allow corporations to hold events on them. Our common spaces should be for public benefit only.”

To a third voter, Ms Hollens said:

“Knife and gang crime in London is still far too high, and it places many of our young people in danger. We have to treat it seriously with a comprehensive plan. Thanks to Labour investment, we can turn a page on Tory cuts that saw police stations closed and police taken off our streets. Real neighbourhood policy has to be a priority for the Met; no longer should communities feel like they don’t see any police presence. Tom is also committed to cracking down on shops illegally selling knives and ensuring that those who possess knives are dealt with appropriately and effectively.”

Emma Hollens

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
23/07/2019 11:33 pm  

London Mainstreeting, Day 1

After catching the overnight train back to London from Cornwall, Shadow Chancellor Steven Andrews met with voters in Croydon, answering their questions.

On transport:
"The Tories are convinced that public transport should be both accessible to all and convenient for all. To that end, we will freeze all public transport fares within Greater London for the next four years and make all public transport free for under-18s, students, and apprentices. We will also roll out an automatic compensation scheme, along the lines of "delay repay" that we have on the railways, for the Tube. Finally, we will make that ride just a bit more pleasant and productive by working to ensure that all services have stable 4G connectivity since I know from experience that nothing stinks more than being stuck in a late Tube and not even being able to call people to tell them you're running late."

On education:
"The Tories are committed to improving both opportunities in education and accountability for our schools. We'll fight to improve access to post-secondary education in all forms, whether it is increasing the number of technical colleges available in London, making more apprenticeships available, adding funding for job training, or working with Westminster to ensure that university places are available to those who want them and are suited to them. We will also work to ensure that within London, we have an Education Commissioner's Office which is empowered to examine schools both for quality of education and to make sure that radicalism, in all its forms, does not seep in while we're not looking."

On tax:
"In Westminster, the Tories are committed to the policies we rolled out in our Shadow Budget last year, something that will set the stage for aggressive economic growth. In London, we will fight both to reduce council tax bills across London and to acquire tax-varying powers for the Assembly so we can vary corporation tax by 1% in either direction. We'll also impose a fixed £8 city tax for tourists, raising £240m/year for public services without sticking our residents with the bill."

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
23/07/2019 11:39 pm  

London Billboard (1): 

London Billboard (2)

Emma Hollens

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6