{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}
North West England

North West England  

RSS

Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
20/07/2019 9:52 pm  

Campaign here for local elections in the North West and the Senate seats in the North West.

Rick the Admin - The Resident Psephologist
Admin for Cabinet, PM's Office, DPM's Office, Defence, Energy, Regions, Environment, Transport, Communities, Elections, and Advisor to Labour and the Lib Dems

Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
23/07/2019 7:56 pm  

Conservative Party HPE for the Senate - Manifesto Launch
(Both NPCs approved by Josh the Admin)

Manifesto Link - https://www.flipsnack.com/saveourfarm/cup-senate-elections-2016.html

Dylan Macmillan, William Hague, and Boris Johnson travelled to the North West of England to unveil the Conservative Party's Contract with Britain.

Dylan Macmillan

My friends hello and welcome! Today we are making history, never before has the second chamber of Parliament been elected, but I stand here today with two of the very best the Conservative Party have to offer to ask you to help us continue to make history. When I wrote the Bill that led the way in creating the Senate I did not believe in a million years that I would be standing here with two valued and respected colleagues, two close friends of mine, and presenting the good people of this country with our Contract with Britain. This isn’t going to be easy, making history never is and standing on the right side of it is harder still, but with this Government in power we have to make it our mission, our moral imperative, to provide a check on their power to prevent them from bulldozing through ill-conceived legislation that will damage our economy, unstick our nation, and leave us at the mercy of foreign powers and international actors that would do this country harm. The Conservative Party are the natural party of Government, but during this campaign we will not be making that pitch to you because Number 10 remains in the iron grip of Labour backed by the Liberal Democrats, no today and over the coming weeks we shall be making the pitch for Britain to have better. 

The Conservative and Unionist Party have offered constant, sensible, and visionary opposition and policy in the face of the sheer incompetence of three successive Prime Ministers, the Liberal Democrats who keep them on life support, and a cavalcade of Ministers who simply put haven’t been able to do their jobs properly. When Ariadne Suchet took office, backed by Meredith Hansen-Charles she hired a Chancellor of the Exchequer who made it Government policy to abandon the triple lock for pensions, risking millions of pensioners falling back into pension poverty and undoing all the hard work that had been done on that front over the previous four years. Who stopped them? It wasn’t the Liberal Democrats, they signed off on the budget and defended it vociferously, they’re not on the side of pensioners but on the side of power. No! It was the Conservative Party that forced Suchet to sack her Chancellor after only a few months in post, it was the Conservative Party that forced them to pull the budget, and it was the Conservative Party that forced the u-turn under Chancellor Ward. We did this from opposition, we had no power to use, the Government tried to pull a fast one and rob the pensioners of this country and we stopped them. Imagine what we could do if we were the largest party in the Senate. We could hold the Government genuinely accountable for their actions, we could prevent them from bludgeoning through legislation even more effectively, we could hold them to their manifesto commitments such that they have any left standing. A vote for Boris, for William, and for our outstanding field of candidates across the UK is a vote for accountability in high office and a vote for rational policy making rather than the government by diktat of the current and former administrations.

But whilst we have been a terrific opposition, and believe me we have been as effective as we could possibly be as the polls show us, with control of the Senate we could do so much more. The Senate has the power, like the Lords before it, to initiate primary legislation. Now William and Boris will outline our plan in more detail but look at our record on this issue. When Faye Gallagher resigned leaving any talk of devolution well and truly off the table, when Ariadne Suchet refused to even talk to the opposition about a bill, it was the Conservative Party that stepped up to fill the void. It was the Conservative and Unionist Party that stepped in to pass meaningful devolution for the Scottish people when the Government simply wouldn’t. In fact we were so effective at writing and passing our legislation that the Government tried to stop us through a dodgy backroom deal with the SNP. Calvin Ward didn’t amount to much but he will forever be the Chancellor who tried to sell the Union to the SNP for a Tory bloody nose and the man who tried to outsource our national security to the United Nations to secure his predecessor’s legacy. Imagine what we could do with control of the Senate, whilst Labour and the Liberal Democrats politick, trying to kill bills or simply to hijack them, we could build upon the successes of the Scotland Act, the Wales Act, indeed there was a time in this Parliament when the Opposition had passed more legislation than the Government if you discount the budgets. This Government is a coalition of chaos, with a Conservative-led Senate we will rediscover a shining beacon of strength and stability with which we can pass legislation to make a difference to our education system, our chronic housing undersupply, and protect our environment.

My friends this election is unlike any other. Across the country parties are competing to take control of an executive of some kind be that national in Scotland or Wales, regional in Cornwall, city-wide in London, or of any number of council areas across the country, but this election is not about taking control of an executive. A vote for the Conservative Party in this election will not see me installed in Number 10, it will not see a Conservative Government, but it will shake up the status quo. Since the 2014 election the United Kingdom has been in decline, our leaders in Number 10 and the broader government have proven themselves to not be up to the job in hand. A vote for the Conservative Party in this election may not kick them out but it will vastly weaken their grasp on the reins of power, it will give us the chance to hold them to account even more completely than we do now, and it will give us the chance to push legislation that you care about and that will help reverse the decline we have seen over the last couple of years. From pensions, to Scotland, to our national security this Government have dropped the ball, vote Conservative in these elections and let us run with it.

William Hague

This Government has been a disaster, as a member of the House of Lords I cannot remember how many motions of regret we have had to pass, how many times we have had to amend shoddy legislation, the Parliamentary ping pong that accompanied the Reform Act in particular was staggering. Never before have I seen a party so eager to fight for the right to abandon its own manifesto commitments, not with Tony Blair, not with Gordon Brown, not with David Cameron. What we saw was a hitherto unseen willingness to fight, even to the point of nearly invoking the Parliament Act, to avoid a simple line of manifesto text committing to holding a referendum on constitutional matters. But I guess it was always going to happen sooner or later, and with three Prime Ministers in two years it was always going to be difficult to keep track of who made which commitments and where. That is one of the reasons why when Boris offered me the chance to be his deputy in the Senate I leaped at the idea. There may be small disagreements in our party but what unites Conservatives is far greater than that which divides us. Our belief in personal liberty and responsibility, our desire to uphold the big society, our commitment to unlocking the greatest potential out of each individual rather than simply lumping them all together, these are the principles that make us Conservatives and I am proud to fight for them in the newly-created Senate.

Our Contract with Britain is the blueprint of our vision, a vision which can unite the country in a way that this Government simply has not. Dylan has had a saying over the last two years, “the more the people see of Labour the less they like what they see”. This Government have been farcical in their handling of the economy, of our constitution, and of our national security, only a Conservative-led Senate can protect this country from such failure in the future. There are issues in this country that the Government have ignored for too long, or committed to solutions that are akin to forcing round pegs into square holes, a Conservative-led Senate will allow us to rectify these errors and eliminate these oversights. Our Contract with Britain is an ambitious set of proposals for reform that cover every area and competency which the Senate shall have even a modicum of control over. Look for instance at our plan for Housing, a Conservative-led Senate will legislate for a legally binding target of one million homes constructed over five years, of which two hundred thousand shall be council homes helping to solve the issues of under-supply of housing stock, ill-suited accommodation, and homelessness with our vision for the future. We will legislate to deliver 10 new Garden Cities in the UK to help meet this quota, combining housing supply with more jobs in construction and with protecting our environment. We will help young people stepping onto the housing ladder or into renting by legislating to limit unfair leasing practices, toughen regulations on the standard of housebuilding, and extending the Help-to-Buy scheme that this Government have so callously undercut, and we will deliver the world’s first 5G network to ensure that British businesses and citizens are at the cutting edge of technology and the implications it can have on our lives.

This is just a small piece, I’m sure Boris will talk about it further in a minute, but it highlights the difference between the Government and the Conservative Party. This Government wants to govern by diktat, intimidation, and backroom deal. Whether it’s Calvin Ward attempting to sink the Scotland Act with a dodgy SNP deal or Caroline Blakesley attempting to intimidate the Shadow Foreign Secretary into silence for his comments. Whether you agree with what they were trying to prevent or not that is not how we govern in a democracy. We have the discussions in the open, we turn up to debates, and we definitely do not threaten “consequences”, in the words of the Metropolitan Police, to ensure that elected officials stop talking. In contrast the Conservative Party have a fully transparent plan and attitude. When a Conservative MP was found to be racist he had his whip removed in public, he wasn’t bundled into a backroom and told to shut up with threats and intimidation. When the Conservatives see issues being left unchallenged and unchecked like Scottish devolution or like our housing plan we buck up and we pass solutions rather than try and sell our country out to the SNP to give the other side a bloody nose. Where Labour and the Liberal Democrats offer politics let’s send them a message, let’s demand Conservative Party solutions rather than more of the same with this tired old Government.

Boris Johnson

Hello everybody, gather round and welcome, thank you for coming. Everyone else has said it so I guess I’d better engage in a spot of cliche grabbing and tell you all that this is an historic election, an election of unforeseeable importance because just recently the Government has been knocked for six. Three by-election defeats, three Prime Ministers, they come in threes and like a great sneeze in the handkerchief of history this Government has blighted us with an utterly shambolic display. I am eternally grateful to my colleagues in the Senatorial and Parliamentary Conservative Party for being granted the ability and the trust to be the Leader of the Conservative Party in the Senate because it means that I will be front and centre as we prepare to wallop these buffoons and send them a message that they will never forget. This has been a coalition of chaos from the first budget to the third Prime Minister, we can do better, we must do better, the Conservatives are better for the country. Wherever we go, whatever we do, we are showing people that there is an alternative path for the country, be that in Watford, Dumfries, or across the multitude of polls that show a Government in such crisis that for the first time since the FIrst World War we are in real danger of having the Labour Party drop to third party status in UK politics. Our Contract with Britain is the next evolution of this drive, this natural urge that all Conservatives feel, the desire to be in Government and work for the people to make their lives better and freer. We saw it with the most recent budgets, the Conservatives would have cut taxes on working people, businesses, and entrepreneurs, Labour hiked taxes. The “temporary” 50% remains in place, businesses see higher National Insurance bills, entrepreneurs remain choked in the vice-like death grip of Capital Gains Tax. Now the Senate may not have the power to change this but we have the power to do much more besides. This document holds up the manifesto outlines our plan for the first 100 days and beyond.

Now William is a terrific man, the natural first choice for Deputy Leader in the Senate, but if I were him I wouldn’t have left my boss any of this contract to explain because it is all so marvelous. Our Contract with Britain embodies everything that a Conservative-led Senate would be, empowering to the individual, a check on the excesses of this Government and a plan for meaningful reform using the platform you might afford us. Now the Senate will have two functions, passing motions and passing legislation, our plan for Law and Order will exemplify both of these traits. We will pass legislation to improve the targeting of recruitment advertisements to encourage police recruiting from minority ethnic backgrounds and toughen punishments for drug offences and low-level starter crimes. We will pass legislation to empower police to use stop and search powers, a tool used brilliantly by the Metropolitan Police during my time as Mayor of London to reduce knife crime. But where the Senate has no power we will use motions to try and convince the Government to act or to allow the Conservative Opposition to act in their stead. We will propose motions to double the number of special constables and we will pass a motion urging a swift resolution to the unfair funding situation plaguing many of our rural and suburban police departments. The Conservative Party are the party of law and order, with a Conservative-led Senate we will work with the Government to bring that experience and reputation to the fore and build a legacy rather like my own in London where we brought down crime and increased efficiency.

On education we will work tirelessly to ensure that our young rascals get the very best that we can give them. We will propose and pass legislation to implement a National Education Service so the Government can stop complaining about our ideas and actually start implementing some of them. Equally we will pass legislation to permit the creation of new grammar schools to allow academically-inclined youngsters the same opportunities afforded to many a Labour MP before they waged a war to shut them all down. But beyond our plans for the education system we must look at the national curriculum, at present it is pretty good but we want nothing but the best for our nippers which means that we need schooling that will prepare them for life outside of the classroom. As such if we are elected to control the first ever Senate of the United Kingdom we will pass a bill to make citizenship and financial education lessons compulsory for all schools to teach. With 16yr olds being able to vote, children becoming adults in need of learning how to manage their money it’s time that Mrs Thatcher’s excellent educational legacy is updated as it was under Mr Major, we must move with the times before the shifting sands of fate swallow us whole like Jonah and his big fish.

On the environment we have a fully fledged plan outlined by my good friend Will Conway, there are a lot of Wills in the modern Conservative Party one wonders if that may be a by-product of our collective ages. As a party we are committed to the mantra of “Vote Blue to Go Green” and we will continue to live by that mantra as long as Dylan and I are leaders. We will pass into law a provision mandating that all petrol stations be fitted with fast charging electrical stations within five years and we will urge the Government to supplement this with grant funding. We will complement this further with our business plan which will cut taxes on business and entrepreneurs helping to establish the UK as a global leader in electric car technology. We will commit to attempt to be carbon free as an economy by 2050, it’s a tough ask but Britain never backed down from an honest challenge and as a nation we can do it if we commit wholeheartedly and as part of that we will push the Government to commit to invest in nuclear power and renewable energy.

But of course the big thing everyone’s talking about at the moment is our foreign policy, Labour and the Liberal Democrats pour scorn on those who try to deviate from their position but I have news for them, the British people don’t want your scorn and we do not want your pessimism. In our first 100 days we will pass legislation for an in/out referendum on our membership of the European Union, no ifs, no buts, if the Government want to pour scorn on working people then they can but they will always find a voice in the Conservative Party. What does the Government have to fear? Except losing the chance to fulfill their coalition agreement and manifesto pledges to create a European President, a European Senate, and all but establish the European Superstate all whilst handing over more of our sovereignty to Brussels and Strasbourg. We will label China a currency manipulator and work with our allies to curtail their impact on our economy and we shall urge the Government to start using our national leverage in the EU to push for an EU/UK trade agreement and an EU/Commonwealth trade agreement.

It’s time for Britain to take back control from this coalition of chaos, this exercise in failure and futility. We need to send Labour and the Liberal Democrats a message that their usual way of doing things simply will not fly anymore. From pensioners, to Scotland, to national security, to more besides our country has been let down time and time again and only by the power of the effective opposition mustered by the Conservative Party have we averted more pensioner poverty, breaking our commitment to the Scottish people, and outsourcing our national security to the United Nations. By voting for our excellent men and women across the country you are signalling to this Government that they better buck their ideas up and you are giving us the power to make them do so. The Conservatives have spent two years proving that we are effective opposition and that we are effective legislators, give us the chance to prove it again with a Conservative-led Senate. Britain deserves better, Britain demands better, with the Conservative Party Britain will have better.

Following the event they all went their separate ways to campaign for the Conservative Party in the litany of elections that all seem to have happened at the same time...

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Thomas Reynolds
(@isaac)
23/07/2019 8:08 pm  

William Lewington, arriving in Manchester, heads to the old factory Lancaster House to deliver a speech at a party election rally. After meeting with local volunteers and spending time greeting voters and talking to them about the issues they feel are important, he takes the stage and begins speaking. Talking about the need for educational reform, William says: 

For too long, Labour has been complacent with our education system as it exists, throwing money at the problem and crossing their fingers that somehow something will change. Well you know that famous saying, ladies and gentlemen:insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The Conservative Party believes Britain deserves better, and that’s why I’m proud to be here in Manchester today, speaking with concerned parents who agree that something must be done about the state of our country’s schools. Our Shadow Education Secretary, Felicity Moore, has crafted a bold, comprehensive, and common-sense plan that restores choice to the education system and puts parents and students back in the drivers seat. Under our plan, students will be able to go to the school that fits their academic needs regardless of how much money their parents earn. Teachers and school administrators will be empowered to make the best decisions for the schools they love and know, rather than settling for the existing system where unaccountable bureaucrats call the shots while not understanding the needs of the local community. This is a plan to restore academic excellence to Britain, but to implement it, we need your help. With your vote, local Conservative Party candidates and a Conservative-led Senate will be able to turn our proposals into a reality, ensuring that every child has the tools they need to realize their full potential. Socio-economic status should not be the defining factor in whether or not you lead a successful life. The Conservative Party refuses to accept that scenario, and with your vote on election day, we’ll ensure that thinking is relegated to a thing of the past! 

William then heads to Blackpool, visiting the waterfront, and meeting with local vendors and fisherman. Stopping to give a stump speech on the European Union, William says: 

The Conservative Party has established ourselves as the party of choice: we believe that you, the British voter, should be empowered to choose your own destiny. We believe this so passionately because we aren’t fearful of giving you a voice, unlike the Coalition Government that has gone out of their way to guarantee that our future in the European Union will never be a matter that you can have a say on. My message to them is this: time is running out on your agenda to silence the British people. With your vote, a Conservative-led Senate will be able to legislate for an in/out referendum on Britain’s membership to the European Union. That means fisherman here in Blackpool will finally be given a say on the regulations imposed upon them by European bureaucrats in Brussels. It means business owners facing heavy regulations will be able to determine if they want to keep paying those rising costs. And most importantly, it means the promises made by so many Governments to offer a referendum will finally be met. Actions speak louder than words, and the Conservative Party is prepared to act. With your help, we’ll put our words to paper and give the British people the EU referendum they deserve. 

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
23/07/2019 11:19 pm  

Leaflet in lieu of mainstreeting:

The first page of the leaflet is largely taken up by a short letter from Graham Adiputera, though flanked by various pictures of the region’s local and Senate Lib Dem candidates throughout the area’s various communities. 

“Dear Local Resident,

I am writing to you today to urge you to support your Liberal Democrat candidates in upcoming local and Senate elections. We all know that politics is broken - the two-party system has long led to stagnant thinking and millions of voters being taken for granted, and one does not need to look hard to find a recent political story that causes embarrassment. Mary Cambel’s toxic legacy, Calvin Ward’s disastrous premiership, Dylan Macmillan condemning others for things he did himself while in office, William Croft insulting our allies and partners in the War on Terror. 

Throughout this all, though, the Liberal Democrats have been focused on producing sound and ambitious policies. It was our party that pushed for equal marriage, the pension triple lock, the pupil premium, a higher tax-free personal allowance, an anti-tax dodging strategy that saves £15 billion a year, the British Business Bank, billions of pounds of investment in green jobs and innovation, the Homelessness Action Fund, renewed focus on mental health and social care, regulatory relief for small businesses. Even when politics has been at its worst, the Liberal Democrats have been delivering for the British people. We have been fighting, tirelessly, for the rights and opportunities of every man, woman and child. The invaluable and unique contribution the Liberal Democrats make to politics has been proven time and time again. 

We have also been focused on fixing our broken politics. The Liberal Democrats delivered votes at 16, consistently championed replacing the unelected House of Lords with a Senate, are pushing for proportional representation, have been consistent advocates for devolution, have been the architects of a smart and human rights-focused foreign policy, and have rejected toxic politics wherever it arises. We are also the party taking the lead on getting big money out of politics. 

More remains to be done, of course. But with your support, we can continue building on these achievements and adding more to that list, delivering a greener, fairer, freer Britain for all. 

Yours sincerely,

Graham Adiputera

Leader of the Liberal Democrats” 

At the bottom of the first page, there is a box with some handy statistics, accompanied by eye-catching icons, that summarise some of the Liberal Democrat achievements in government: 

• Standing up for civil liberties
  • An open, tolerant Britain
  • Building more homes
  • Investing in the jobs of tomorrow
  • 20,000 extra police officers
  • Extra money for schools and hospitals
  • Taking climate change seriously

The back side of the leaflet, flanked by pictures of candidates for local government and the Senate meeting with voters, continues to talk about Lib Dem achievements and values. Various text boxes, again accompanied by icons, go into detail about what the Lib Dems have achieved or will go on to achieve. 

ENDING AUSTERITY…

Under the Liberal Democrats, the “pupil premium” to support disadvantaged students has more than doubled; the worst austerity cuts are being reversed and then some; NHS and school spending is growing in real terms; and we are investing more in infrastructure and housing. 

...WHILE SUPPORTING BUSINESS AND FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY

Under the Liberal Democrats, access to capital and advisory services for small and medium businesses has expanded, through the British Business Bank, and billions more is being invested in research and innovation to keep our economy on the cutting edge. We have championed a regulatory relief act, helping businesses deal with red tape, and a new strategy to support local enterprise hubs and businesses scale up. We are bringing the deficit down, faster than the Tories would, through fiscal discipline and an aggressive fight against tax dodging. 

PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT

The Liberal Democrats are the leaders on protecting our environment. We have fought for more money for environmental protection, have cut subsidies for fossil fuels, and have invested billions in green jobs and decarbonising our economy. We are currently leading the way on a bill to green our transport sector and implement a National Air Quality Plan. With your support, we will champion a new Nature Act to preserve our natural beauty, continue British leadership in new climate change legislation, and continue moving towards a zero-waste economy. 

TACKLING BURNING INJUSTICES

The Liberal Democrats have taken action on some of the most burning injustices in our society - making up for underinvestment in mental health, supporting those with disabilities in getting the skills and opportunities they need, fighting homelessness and period poverty, repealing the bedroom tax, standing up for the rights of refugees, fighting the gender and race pay gaps. There is more to do - the Liberal Democrats are committed to an equalities agenda, supporting LGBT+ equality, banning upskirting and female genital mutilation, promoting civil liberties by repealing draconian laws.

FIXING OUR BROKEN POLITICS

The Liberal Democrats are the champions of political reform - votes at 16; proportional representation; replacing the House of Lords with the Senate; supporting devolution and localism to empower communities and give power to the people. 

At the bottom of the page there is both the legally required text and a form that can be cut out, allowing the recipient to get in touch with the candidate, either to discuss issues, to request GOTV assistance, or to offer support.

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
Caroline Blakesley
(@caroline-blakesley)
Prime Minister & MP for Hammersmith
24/07/2019 12:00 am  

Leaflet in lieu of mainstreeting:

Caroline Blakesley
Prime Minister
MP for Hammersmith

Parliamentary: Unknown (13)
Media: Unknown (17)
Policy: Unknown (18)

ReplyQuote
Henry Wilson Eino
(@sweet-daddy)
24/07/2019 12:38 am  

William Henry Eino attended a few Labour Party functions in his hometown of Liverpool today where he mingled with voters and Labour Party volunteers. Later in the day, he attended a rally where he delivered the following statements: 

Worker’s Rights:

“The North West and Merseyside in particular has one of the largest percentages of trade union membership in the United Kingdom, with about one in three workers identifying with some organized labor group. Labour stands with trade unions, and will work to increase their rights, freedoms, and ability to fend for their members and improve the economic condition of all Britons.

What has Conservative rule meant in the past for the unions? Less representation, fewer rights, fewer opportunities, and an ardent enemy of equality and liberation in Westminster. The Labour Party in the House of Commons – and soon, the Labour Party in the Senate – has always stood with the working Briton and the working family. We have introduced legislation that would make it easier for unions to function, to organize, to fight for better benefits and better wages, and to help their members rise out of or stay out of poverty. The Conservative Party stands against this, and make no mistake that a Conservative victory in this Senatorial election will be used as justification to harm unions and the working people of this country.

We have worked for decades to protect and support trade unions. We have not always been successful in this task, and victories have been met with defeats and progress has been met with backsliding. This is a moment where we can make a choice: does the cause of worker’s rights advance or does it regress? If the Labour Party leads the Senate, you know where we will stand and that we will fight for you.”

Wages and Poverty:

“The Labour Party remains committed to improving the living standards and powers of the worker. We broke significant ground when we instituted a minimum wage, and we will improve the lives of millions of more Britons when we establish a living wage for all. A Labour-controlled Senate will be critical to guaranteeing a raise in the minimum wage and guaranteeing that the minimum is livable.

Nearly fifty thousand workers in Merseyside make minimum wage, and nearly thirty thousand of our children live in poverty. Four million children, give or take, live in poverty across our nation. We know as a basic, axiomatic point of knowledge that the Conservative Party will not take social welfare seriously, and we know that they will do nothing meaningful to improve wages. Not Labour. Labour will do what it always has done: fight poverty when individuals fall through the safety net and fight wages by making sure that workers get their fair share of company profits and honest pay for honest work.

This has been our basic rallying cry since our inception: care for the poor, empower the worker. This has not ended in 2016, and it will not end. With the state of our world today, it must not end. Our commitment will be as strong as it has always been and a Labour-led Senate will work to bring children out of poverty, increase wages, and keep Britain moving forward.”

Fitness to Lead:

“We have been told that this first Senatorial election is historic – it is historic, and we need to make sure that we begin this new institution on the right foot. The leader of our first senate class should be someone with a long history of public service, a commitment to our union and our people, and a calm, even-handed manner of engaging with the great problems of our day.

When Dylan MacMillan came up here to the North West with ‘two of the very best the conservatives have to offer,’ I have to say that I was shocked. William Hague is fine enough if you’re a fan of outdated policies and politics that the British people rejected time and time again at the poll in landslide elections, but I was shocked to see Boris Johnson brought to the North West as a shining beacon of Conservative leadership.

As editor of The Spectator, Johnson stated that Liverpudlians have ‘an excessive predilection for welfarism,’ ‘a peculiar and deeply unattractive psyche’ and that we see ourselves ‘as victims,’ that we ‘resent [our] victim status;’ yet ‘wallow in it.’ We have, in his own words, ‘a flawed psychological state,’ and then ended his tirade by blaming the people of this city and this region for the Hillsborough Stadium disaster. Can we, as Liverpudlians, trust that Boris Johnson would lead the Senate in a way that addresses our needs in a fair manner, that doesn’t just treat us as individuals with ‘unattractive psyches?’  

That statement and the mentality that informs it bothers me. Boris Johnson’s statements about blacks and women are, in my estimation, far, far worse than what he has said about Liverpudlians, and they are all, to my mind, disqualifying statements. They are beliefs that are outdated, backwards, and harmful to the fabric of society – they come from a mind without empathy, without sympathy, without compassion, and without wisdom. He is not someone that we should look to lead a British Senate, and certainly not the kind of man that we should ask to set the tone and tenure for a new legislative body. We’ve heard about how historic this moment will be, and we have an obligation to determine the nature of that history. Will the history books recall this as a moment where the second elected body of British politics was established as a home for reasoned debate, responsibility, and guidance, or a cesspool for small minds and big mouths?”

Henry Wilson Eino
Labour Party
MP for Liverpool Wavertree
Parliamentary: 10
Media: 10
Policy: 20

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
24/07/2019 9:21 pm  

MAINSTREETING - NORTH WEST - DAY 2

On political reform:

“The Liberal Democrats are the party of political reform. We have been on the forefront, sticking our necks out, calling for an end to big money in politics and for an end to the archaic first-past-the-post voting system that delivers governments rejected by the majority of the country and leaves some voters with more power than others. Liberal Democrat elected officials will be tireless advocates for fixing our broken politics, rejecting the backroom deals and horse-trading that has come to define our outdated two-party system. 

One area where we have had especially great success is protecting the right to vote. We expanded the right to vote to 16 and 17 year olds - forcing politicians to take seriously the views and needs of the next generation. Now the Conservatives are trying to win over young people, but they never mention that they voted against this right at every turn. And they continue this brand of divisive politics, by making Boris Johnson - a man undisguised in his contempt for great British cities such as Liverpool - their designated Senate leader. It's appalling.” 

On equalities and justice:

“The Liberal Democrats have always been a unique voice in British politics, being unequivocal champions of civil liberties, social equality, and opposing discrimination and prejudice. We are the party that delivered same-sex marriage and championed LGBT+ inclusive sex education, have been unwavering champions of the rights of immigrants and caring for refugees and attending thoroughly to concerns surrounding integration, and have established mandatory gender pay gap reporting and set up processes for race pay gap reporting. We’re supporting efforts to help women in Northern Ireland get access to abortion services, supporting a Gender Recognition Act reform consultation, and backed efforts to restore legal aid funding and hire 20,000 new police officers to deliver a justice system that works for all.

Going forward, there’s still so much we want to do, and we are proud of our liberal convictions - that every person should have the freedom, respect and opportunity needed to live the life that they choose and that helps them flourish. We have backed these convictions even when they are unpopular. We are committed to a Digital Bill of Rights, a Freedoms Act to stop violations of privacy, civil liberties-based reviews of existing laws to protect essential freedoms, and new action against scourges such as modern slavery, caste discrimination, female genital mutilation, non-consensual pornography, and conversion therapy.”

On economic investment:

“One of the greatest differences between us and the Conservatives is that we in the Liberal Democrats believe that it is important, even as we bring down the deficit, to grow our economy and increase our capability to tackle challenges and seize opportunities. One of our country’s great competitive disadvantages has long been the lack of inward investment. 

This government has changed that, thanks to Liberal Democrat initiatives. We have invested billions in green stimulus, improving resource and energy efficiency, supporting renewable energy projects, helping communities and local economies move away from fossil fuels. We have invested billions more in science and research, helping support British entrepreneurship, science and technology compete globally. We have invested in providing new finance and advisory services for small and medium businesses. We have invested in a Housing and Infrastructure Development Bank, which is already providing results. 

The Conservatives are talking a good game about rural broadband, electric vehicle charging points, low and zero emission vehicles, and other areas of key infrastructure and investment - but the truth is, they are way behind what the Liberal Democrats are doing in government on these issues.”

Attached leaflet:

The front of the leaflet is a list that reads “12 reasons to vote Liberal Democrat”, flanked by pictures of local candidates and topped off with the Lib Dem logo. The list reads as follows:

1. Political Reform and Ending Broken Two-Party Politics
  2. Devolution Settlements that Give Power to the People
  3. Committed Community Champions
  4. Equal Rights and Civil Liberties
  5. Tackling Burning Injustices
  6. Better Funded Public Services
  7. Higher Police Numbers
  8. Smart and Ethical Foreign Policy
  9. Investment, Not Austerity
  10. An Entrepreneurial and Inclusive Economy
  11. Fiscal Responsibility
  12. Getting Things Done Even When Politics is at its worst

The back page of the leaflet is divided into two halves: the first half, with Lib Dem colours, chronicles some of the Lib Dem achievements in government, with handy icons denoting the subject (such as wedding bells for equal marriage), while the other half, in dark and foreboding blues, covers the recent Conservative record. 

In the Lib Dem side of the page: 

• EQUAL MARRIAGE
  • VOTES AT 16
  • A CLEANER ENVIRONMENT
  • MORE HOMES
  • THE PUPIL PREMIUM
  • TAX-FREE PERSONAL ALLOWANCE
  • SUPPORTING SMALL BUSINESSES
  • PENSION TRIPLE LOCK
  • REDUCING THE DEFICIT
  • MORE MONEY FOR THE NHS
  • OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE

On the Conservative side of the page: 

• CUTTING PUBLIC HEALTH
  • FLIP FLOPPING ON RAIL FARES
  • FLIP FLOPPING ON FOREIGN POLICY
  • OPPOSING POLITICAL REFORM
  • NASTY POLITICS
  • BACKROOM DEALS AND HORSE TRADING
  • DOUBLE STANDARDS
  • WEAK MANIFESTO 
  • NO PLANS ON KEY ISSUES

Beneath this, a by-line, yellow text against a black strip, reads “WHEN POLITICS IS AT ITS WORST, THE LIB DEMS GET STUFF DONE.” 

At the bottom of the page there is both the legally required text and a form that can be cut out, allowing the recipient to get in touch with the candidate, either to discuss issues, to request GOTV assistance, or to offer support.

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
AL2016
(@al2016)
24/07/2019 10:22 pm  

Emma Hollens, Secretary of State for the Environment, joined local activists in Blackpool to campaign for the Senate elections. She spoke on the fracking, the cost of living, and workers rights’.

To one voter, she said:

“Blackpool knows the cost of fracking. It suffered from the first earthquakes caused by extraction in 2011. For no benefit, communities see their landscapes torn apart and the environment polluted. Fracking worsens air quality and hurts all our health. There is no regulation strong enough to make it safe so Labour has proposed legislation to ban it, protecting our green spaces, stopping pollution, and giving relief to communities affected. The Conservatives talk a good game on the environment, but when it comes to banning fracking they are divided and the Leader of the Conservative Party is silent. The communities damaged by fracking, and those who are further risk from the practice, don’t need delays on this issue. They need action, and thanks to Labour it will be delivered. If you vote Labour in the Senate elections, you can guarantee that Blackpool and the surrounding areas will never suffer from fracking again.”  

To another, Emma said:

“Under the Tories, the cost of living skyrocketed. While wages stagnated, bills just went up and up. But we are committed to tackling this First, by ensuring everyone is paid a wage they can live and by cracking down on businesses who flout the law and cheat their workers out of the very bare minimum wage. But we are also also by tackling the big, expensive bills that you have to pay. We are going to encourage competition between the big firms that provide these services, making it easier for you to switch. This will save you hundreds of pounds a year, dramatically reducing the cost of living. But this will only happen if you vote Labour in the forthcoming Senate elections; vote for any other party risks inaction.  

To a third, Ms Hollens said:

“Workers’ rights are vitally important to the success and sustainability of the economy here in Blackpool. An economy that exploits you, and doesn’t pay you a fair wage, and that degrades your working conditions isn’t an economy that works for Britain. We have already abolished tribunal fees that stopped workers like you from getting justice and holding bad bosses to account. The Tories introduced it, and they couldn’t even be bothered to turn up to discuss it. Providing fair justice to workers isn’t something they care about. But we will go further. Trade unions have an important role to play in that, representing working people at all levels of decision making. Workers voice is the voice that the economy needs to listen to. We are committed to rolling back restrictions that stop workers fighting for their rights, for higher pay, and against exploitative bosses. Only by voting Labour in the Senate elections can you guarantee workers’ rights will be extended; a vote for any other party is a vote for dysfunction and delay.”

Emma Hollens
MP for Hull North (2010 - )

Parliamentary - 7
Media - 6
Policy - 13

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
24/07/2019 11:16 pm  

Macmillan travelled to the North West of England where he spoke to voters extensively about the Conservative Party's Senate manifesto.

To one set of voters he spoke at great length about the strength of the Conservative Party's record and how it could be strengthened by a Conservative-led Senate

You know some are calling this Senate irrelevant but the Conservative Party view it as a real opportunity to hold the Government to account. When the Government wanted to abolish the pension triple lock it was the Conservative Party that mustered the opposition to prevent that, when the Government wanted to do a dodgy deal with the SNP to prevent devolution and sell us out to the nationalists the Conservative Party were able to expose them and stop that, and when the Government wanted to bring in 250,000 unvetted refugees and outsource all security to the United Nations the Conservative Party were there to prevent that. Despite having 30 fewer seats than Labour and not being in Government we have been able to force serious u-turns in Government policy due to the strength, unity, and discipline of our opposition, imagine if we had control of the Senate? The next time the Government do something stupid we won't have to rely on them realising their mistake thanks to our opposition, if they want to keep on forcing it through we can tell them that enough is enough and we can stop them, sending the bill back to the House of Commons with amendments to make it actually sane.

But that's not all, during the last Parliament we have been a terrific force for passing legislation, indeed there was a time in this Parliament when the Opposition had passed more legislation than the Government had when you discount budgets. Imagine what we could do if we led an equal chamber of Parliament. The Government laugh at and pour scorn over the millions of decent working people who want a referendum on our membership of the EU, with a Conservative-led Senate we could pass the necessary legislation in the Upper Chamber and force a debate on the issue where the Government previously treated millions with contempt. We could pass legislation to get towards our party's target of one million homes built in 5 years, and we could deliver legislation outlining our plans for the world's first 5G network putting the UK at the forefront of the technical revolution engulfing our planet.

A Conservative Party led Senate will be an activist Senate, a Senate that isn't content to merely rubber stamp this Government's chaos and failure but is instead willing to hold them to account and pass our own legislation to make a real difference to the lives of millions of working men and women across the country. If you're tired of this Government's failure, chaos, and instability then vote to send them a message and vote for the stability of the Conservative Party.

To another set of voters he outlined his message on Education

You know, education has been a watchword of so many different governments that I lose count, so I'm going to level with you. Any government that promises to fix the education system with nothing but cash is trying to buy your vote, plain and simple. The education system in this country needs radical reform that simply shovelling money into a great bonfire won't solve. So what will a Conservative-led Senate do to help education in this country? We will legislate our education plan into law, that's what. We will create the National Education Service in parallel with the NHS to create a rigorous new paradigm for education.

We will bring back the Grammar School, hated and despised by the very Labour politicians they helped grammar schools are terrific tools for social mobility enabling the most academically gifted students to access the very best education in that field without having the pay an arm and a leg for it. To reform the system we will abolish the 11+ exam in favour of a rolling system of assessments that students can take any year after the age of 11 up to twice a year and accompany that with an ambitious plan to return to the days of a grammar school in every town. For those who are not so academically inclined we will create vocational alternatives including a new more vocational form of A-Level qualification where students will learn skills instead of studying academia, crafting them into the perfect workers for to the world of tomorrow and giving them the chance to stand out in a fiercely competitive jobs market. To further help this we will try to force the Government to commit to boosting the number of apprenticeships and we will ensure that all students have a real grounding in the outside world through mandatory citizenship and financial education lessons in secondary, middle, and upper schools.

Education is an issue that has been overlooked by this Government for too long, this Government has been content to rest upon its laurels and manage the system's decline. The Conservative Party are not content to manage the decline of our great nation, we will use a Conservative-led Senate to reform the education system into one of the very best in the World where money is no matter because everyone has access to a fundamentally different education based on their talents with the academics, technical, and vocational students each being encouraged to pursue their own  strengths. If you want meaningful education reform instead of the managed decline offered by Labour and the Liberal Democrats vote for it by voting Conservative today.

Finally he spoke to a set of voters about the Environment

Our environment is changing, climate change is becoming a real issue and we must adapt as a nation to protect ourselves and our planet from the worst of global warming, as such the Conservative Party would use our voice in the Senate to lead the way on green issues as outlined by my good friend William Conway. For instance it is a Conservative Party pledge to ensure that by 2021 all petrol stations shall be provided with fast electric charging facilities for electric cars, making the UK a world leader in electrically powered motor vehicles providing an economic boost through new industry and helping to clean up our little corner of the planet. To promote walking and allow everyone to enjoy our countryside that little bit more we will legislate to extend the right to roam giving people unprecedented access to our countryside and the right to enjoy it in a sustainable way.

But there is so much more to our environmental policy than just those two issues. The Conservative Party would put in law a target of zero net carbon emissions by 2050 forcing the Government to get serious on climate change. To supplement this we will work with the Government to push for greater investment in nuclear and renewable power generation in the United Kingdom as spearheaded again by my good friend Mr Conway. Finally we will work with the Government to convince the international community to establish an international and binding agreement on specific steps to reduce carbon emissions across the planet.

The Conservative Party have stuck to the same mantra now for 11 years, vote blue to go green. I have been a passionate advocate for our environment working with MPs from across the House of Commons to build up our clean and renewable energy systems for the economic and environmental potential that they bring. A Conservative-led Senate will not be able to legislate for greater subsidies and we will not be able to end the Government's punitive taxes on motor vehicles that the average family need to get around but we would be able to use the Senate to legislate in other ways to ensure that our environment can be protected without wrecking our economy.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
24/07/2019 11:44 pm  

Tory Senate Billboard #1