Second reading

A Team

ReplyQuote
Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
28/04/2019 4:41 pm  
I beg leave to offer the following amendments;

"that in part 2, section 1) subsection e), section 2), and section 2A) are struck from this bill."

"that in part 3, section 7) subsection 1) is amended to read "The powers of the Cornish Assembly shall be equal to those devolved to the National Assembly for Wales after the 1997 referendum."

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
Deborah Carpenter
(@deborah-carpenter)
MP for Hertford & Stortford
28/04/2019 9:09 pm  

Mr Speaker,

Would the Hon Gentleman, the Member for Montgomeryshire, being as I know him to be a proudly independent Member, agree with me that Government's choice of a electoral system for a “Senate” that makes the election of independent candidates practically impossible is detrimental to the work of the proposed alternative to the Other Place?

Deborah Carpenter | Conservative Party
MP for Hertford & Stortford (2001-present)
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer and Shadow Business Secretary (2014-present)
Former Chancellor of the Exchequer (2013-2014)
Parliamentary experience: Unknown (16)
Media experience: Novice (28)
Policy experience: Novice (26)

ReplyQuote
Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
29/04/2019 9:02 pm  

Mr Speaker,

To respond to the point raised by the Member for Hertford & Stortford, I quite disagree. The Senate would in fact improve how many independents are currently elected to the other place - after all, the election of independent candidates to the other place is currently entirely impossible. The other place's work needs to be democratically accountable, just as the work done in the Commons is. Independents of reasonable popularity would not find it too hard to be part of the work of the Senate, I imagine.

In the proposed proportional system, an independent Senator could be elected in Wales by winning around 4.5% of the vote, by my calculation . I should think that is manageable for a popular independently minded candidate. I won in Montgomeryshire, in seats like Blaneau Gwent independents have won, and Wales has a strong local independent tradition. I would argue that this system makes the election of independents even easier, and have no qualms on the point of independent voices in the Senate.

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
29/04/2019 9:05 pm  
 I beg leave to offer the following amendments;

"that in part 2, section 5) is amended to create subsection (5), which shall read "No candidate or party in any Senate region shall receive any Senators unless they win a minimum of 3.5% of the regional vote."

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Member A-team
01/05/2019 9:21 pm  

Order!

The leader of the house?

(OOC: In the absence of the bill author can the PM or the Leader of the House respond)

Dan

A-Team

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
02/05/2019 12:16 am  

Mr.Speaker,

The government accepts Cardigan II and III amendments as friendly. 

The Rt Hon Ariadne "Ari" Suchet MP
Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras
The Prime Minister
Leader of the Labour Party

Parliamentary: 9
Media: 28 Novice (19 base +1 Media I/ +4 Media IV /+2 for Leader's Debate/+1 for Press Cycle 11/+1 for Press Cycle 12 )
Policy: 9

"TrashPotato Today at 2:11 AM
my friend offered me a bottle of vodka and i sucked the vodka out the bottle like a baby sucking a titty"

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
02/05/2019 7:24 pm  

Mr.Speaker,

The government wants to hold debate for another day. 

The Prime Minister

Media: 28 Novice (19 base +1 Media I/ +4 Media IV /+2 for Leader's Debate/+1 for Press Cycle 11/+1 for Press Cycle 12 )

my friend offered me a bottle of vodka and i sucked the vodka out the bottle like a baby sucking a titty"

ReplyQuote
Bertie
(@tonybcwilson)
Anthony B.C. Wilson MP
02/05/2019 9:59 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I beg to leave to offer the following amendments;

Amendment 1 - Part 1; Section 1; Clause 4 be amended to read:

"Constituencies and local authority wards shall elect Members of Parliament and councillors in general/local elections and by-elections by means of the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system if approved by a public referendum"

Amendment 2 - Part 2; Section 2; Clause 1 be amended to read:

"The Lords Temporal shall be henceforth abolished if approved by a public referendum"

Amendment 3 - Part 3; Section 1; Clause 1 be amended to read:

"There shall be an Assembly for Cornwall if approved by a public referendum specifically held for the region to be under the jurisdiction of the Cornish Assembly, to be known as the Cornish Assembly or Senedh Kernow (but referred to in this Act as “the Assembly”)"

Amendment 4 - Part 3; Section 7; Clause 1 be struck and replaced with a more detailed and constrained establishment of devolution.

Anthony Bertram Charles Wilson, MP for Darlington.
Parliamentary: 11
Media: 24
Policy: 6

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
03/05/2019 7:54 pm  

Mr. Speaker,

the government accepts amendment 1. 

The Prime Minister

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
03/05/2019 8:09 pm  

Mr. Speaker,

To the referendum amendment, I’d like add: "to be set out in regulations laid before this house."

The Prime Minister

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
03/05/2019 11:47 pm  

Mr.Speaker,

This Reform Act will be the most important piece of legislation we have seen in this house for quite some time. We are finally reforming our political system, delivering on our promises and doing it so with support from opposition benches as well. 

We are finally abolishing the House of Lords, a House that serves no purposes but being a place for has beens, aristocrats and political donors. House of Lords represents worst excesses of our political system. Cash for Honours was a scandal that has rocked our nation, while it is certainly not the only example of it, it is the most publicised version of it. Another version of this is rewarding former politicians, staffers and else with peerages, yet with so many examples of it. This is a rotten house that needs to be replaced with a house that represents the people. That is why we are replacing the House of Lords with a Senate. This senate will represent each nation of the United Kingdom and it will ensure each nation has proper representation. No nation or sub region of England shall receive less than 5 percent of all seats in this new Senate. This ensures much better representation for North East, Wales and Northern Ireland. 

We are bringing more powers to Cornwall, we recognise that Cornwall has it's own flag, language and culture and we are finally handing powers to Cornwall that it deserves, we also thank Honourable Member from Montgomeryshire for his careful and thoughtful responses to this proposal, it has strengthened this bill all together.

Finally and most importantly, we are proposing a change to the way House of Commons is getting elected. There is clearly a demand for public consultation, specifically in the form of a referendum, with this proposed change on how we are electing the House of Commons and we are providing that as well. This proposed change will ensure every single vote counts, finally every single person in this country, no matter where they live will get a voice, be it a so-called Tory shires or so-called Labour North. I know these proposals are bold and that is exactly what our country needs right now, people are sick and tired of the way politics are conducted in this country.

The Prime Minister

ReplyQuote
Steve
(@steve)
Member A-team
05/05/2019 1:58 pm  

Speaker

ORDER. The question is that the Bill be read a third time. Division!

A Team

ReplyQuote
Steve
(@steve)
Member A-team
05/05/2019 2:01 pm  

The following amendments have been made to the Bill:

• "that in part 3, section 7) subsection 1) is amended to read "The powers of the Cornish Assembly shall be equal to those devolved to the National Assembly for Wales after the 1997 referendum."
  • "that in part 2, section 5) is amended to create subsection (5), which shall read "No candidate or party in any Senate region shall receive any Senators unless they win a minimum of 3.5% of the regional vote."
  • "Part 1; Section 1; Clause 4 is amended to read: Constituencies and local authority wards shall elect Members of Parliament and councillors in general/local elections and by-elections by means of the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system if approved by a public referendum to be set out in regulations laid before the House"

A Team

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: