{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}

Election of the Speaker  

RSS

Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
10/07/2019 8:28 pm  

Sir Gerald Kaufman: Honourable Members, the Speaker has indicated his decision to resign. As such, we are required to elect a speaker. 

Nominations will now be taken from the floor. If there is only one candidate nominated, he or she will be duly elected speaker. Should there be more than one nominations, voting will take place until one candidate has received a majority of votes. 

I will now call for nominations.

(Rules: Nominations may be made from the floor. A nomination requires a seconder - you may use an IC or OOC seconder. If you choose an OOC seconder, you will be required to speak to the A-Team for permission. A note that your nominations of an NPC may or may not be accepted and we advise you to keep that in mind. Nominations will close at 11:59 p.m. BST on July 11. The correct way to address the Chair is Mr. Kaufman).

This topic was modified 5 months ago by Richard

Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian AV

Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@mhc)
10/07/2019 9:08 pm  

Sir Gerald,

I propose that the Right Honourable member for Camberwell and Peckham, Harriet Harman, be elected as speaker of the House of Commons.

Meredith Hansen-Charles
Cambridge
Secretary of State for Education
Minister for Women and Equalities

"Meredith Hansen-Charles...is a deity" - Kandler/The Times

ReplyQuote
Samantha Ryan
(@junkyardcat)
Green
10/07/2019 9:13 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I second the nomination of Harriet Harman as Speaker.

MP for Brighton Pavilion (2014-Present)

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
10/07/2019 9:16 pm  

Mr. Williams, seconded by Ms. Ryan, have moved that Ms. Harman, Member for Camberwell and Peckham do take the chair as Speaker. Does the Honourable Lady accept the nomination?

Harriet Harman

I accept, Sir Gerald.

ReplyQuote
Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
11/07/2019 9:27 pm  

Dennis Skinner (Bolsover, LAB)
Sir Gerald, I propose that the Honourable member for Huddersfield, Barry Sheerman, be elected as Speaker of the House of Commons.

Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North, LAB)
Sir Gerald, I second the nomination of Barry Sheerman to be elected Speaker of the House of Commons.

Sir Gerald Kaufman (Father of the House)
Mr. Skinner, seconded by Mr. Corbyn, have moved that Mr. Sheerman, Member for Huddersfield do take the chair as Speaker. Does the Honourable Gentleman accept the nomination?

Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield, LAB)
I accept, Sir Gerald.

Rick the Admin - The Resident Psephologist
Admin for Cabinet, PM's Office, DPM's Office, Defence, Energy, Regions, Environment, Transport, Communities, Elections, and Advisor to Labour and the Lib Dems

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
15/07/2019 6:46 pm  

Sir Gerald Kaufman

Seeing no further nominations, the House will now proceed to the election of the Speaker.

(OOC: for ease, instead of a secret ballot, we will have two separate motions. Members will vote for their preferred choice. We will presume to have done this in secret for IC purposes - meaning the new speaker will not be harsh on those who voted for the other).

The motions before the House are as follows:

THAT THIS HOUSE chooses Ms. Harriet Harman as Speaker

or

THAT THIS HOUSE chooses Mr. Barry Sheerman as Speaker

ReplyQuote
Share: