Latest News
{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}
Horncastle Speech -...

Horncastle Speech - London  

RSS

Sir Jonathan Horncastle
(@sir-jonathan-horncastle)
17/02/2019 11:50 pm  

Sir Jonathan Horncastle gives a speech to supporters, colleagues, and friends at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London.

A year and a few months ago, the world gathered here for our biannual celebration of the importance of sport and culture in our lives - the 2012 Summer Olympics. For many of us, it was a grand celebration and a time to show off the great things that we have here in Britain with the rest of the world. But for me, it was maybe the longest month of my life.

I knew, coming into the Government, that I was going to be asked to serve as the lead Government minister for the Olympics. But it took a lot of hard work over my first two years in the Government to set it up. You don't really think about it just watching the games on the telly or the Internet, but there's transportation, housing, security, the torch relay, environmental concerns, and the Cultural Olympiad to work on - and that's only the start!

One of the things that stands out to me from my Olympic experience was probably something that most people didn't see - the opening ceremony for the Paralympic games. During the ceremony, a large lampshade divided and gloriously rose to a place of prominence in the stadium. And as it rose, Elin Thomas sang one of my favorite pieces of music - Handel's "Eternal Source of Light Divine." What struck me at that moment was a sense of amazement about what our nation can be. Written by a German immigrant, set to words by an Englishman, written for a Queen, sung by a Welsh soprano, and in a show designed to share the intellectual tradition of this nation and featuring those of all abilities and disabilities, it struck me that this is what being British is all about.

We are a diverse nation comprised of many different people from many different walks of life. For me, being British means reveling in the possibilities that we are offered - the possibility to receive a world-class education. The possibility to take in some of the best cultural items and events this world has to offer. I am running for Party Leader because I believe that these possibilities need to be open to everyone in this country. We need to boost our economy by cutting taxes and red tape. We need to keep jobs open and create new ones through our work in the EU. We need a Prime Minister who believes in the value of hard work and that there is so much good waiting for this nation if we put the time and effort in. The Olympics have prepared me - being Party Leader should be a piece of cake after that.

The Rt. Hon. Sir Jonathan Horncastle
Chief Whip (2014-Present)
Secretary of State for Transport and Infrastructure (2013-2014)
MP for Cities of London and Westminster (2001-Present)

Parliamentary Experience: Unknown (11)
Media Experience: Novice (22)
Policy Experience: Unknown (11)

Nathan
(@nathan)
Estimable Member
21/02/2019 7:47 pm  

I know it's repetitive but disclaimer this speech has been glossed over so people can have a general idea how effective their campaigns were by looking at the result of their leadership races and combing through the analysis. This speech was much better, and took an angle not many of your opponents took - your experience and personal qualities and why that takes you above. This would've been brilliant and xp point worthy had you just expanded it a little more - this speech could've hit a good high, but it finished before it really started.

ReplyQuote
Share: