Press Cycle 11 - Co...

Press Cycle 11 - Coalition Agreement  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Anita Redmond
(@anita-redmond)
MP for North Somerset
31/03/2019 9:41 pm  

There is a saying in the construction industry; The Architect is the dreamer - the structural engineer is the realist.

The coalition are the architects of masses of dreams; dreams which require an in-depth plan and a functional budget to maintain. The Conservatives are the engineers offering the reality that to balance the books and deliver for Britain, Government must be forward thinking, flexible, and honest with the electorate. The Coalition may not be deliberately misleading, but this is only because they cannot see their own failures in the making. We will work to try and ensure their ineptness does not hurt the British people.

Rt. Hon. Anita Redmond MP
Conservative Member of Parliament for North Somerset
Shadow Education Secretary
Shadow Minister for Women & Equalities

Former Home Secretary (2014)
Total Experience: 65
Parliamentary: Novice (25)
Media: Novice (29)
Policy: Unknown (11)

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
31/03/2019 9:51 pm  

The Conservative Party is providing very eloquent and colourful criticisms, but they simply have no connection to the reality. They are attacking us for decisions that have not yet been made and ignoring that the coalition agreement contains tens of billions in deficit and debt reduction measures. They are abdicating their duty to scrutinise, by instead deciding they would rather attack us with this ludicrous hyperbole rather than engage constructively with our proposals. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
31/03/2019 10:02 pm  

The Secretary of State for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy says that we are attacking them for decisions that have not yet been taken, so does that mean that the Chancellor was lying to the House when he confirmed that taxes would not rise above 50% at the top rate, taking out £24bn in revenue for the Exchequer? Was the Coalition Agreement mistaken when it ruled out the Lib Dems' flagship basic rate income tax increase costing £6bn? The Government may try and spin their u-turns any which way they want but at the end of the day they will have to explain which spending pledges they are dropping to pay for this lost income.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Joseph Allen
(@joseph-allen)
01/04/2019 9:27 am  

The coalition agreement is a new start for Britain. It offers hope for a fairer kinder government that looks after the 99% rather than the 1%. I think both parties benefit from the agreement, politics it not always a zero sum gain, the media like to look for winners and losers to play people off against each other,in my opinion we both win but more importantly the British people win. The Labour led government will ensure that social and economic justice is at the heart of government, that the crisis facing Britain climate change, inequality and ailing public services are tackled head on.

Member of Parliament for Blaenau Gwent
Total Experience: 29
Parliamentary: (5)
Media: (15)
Policy: (9)

ReplyQuote
Sylviane Jaubert
(@ege)
01/04/2019 4:04 pm  

I am proud of this coalition agreement, Labour Party is proud of this coalition agreement, Trade unions are proud of this coalition agreement. The fact to the matter is this, era of austerity is over. The era of political backstabbing is over. The era of lies, deceit and flip flops is over. As Labour Party, we recognise the parliamentary arithmetic, and we have acted according to it. This coalition agreement delivers on core Labour promises and compliments our values. We will abolish tuition fees, we will restore Tory cuts, we will deliver a fairer Britain, we will provide a more progressive Britain, we will turn Britain into a country that works for all, not just the select few, we will repeal the abominable bedroom tax and make welfare work for everyone in this country. 

Sylviane Jaubert MP
MP for Cynon Valley

Formerly as The Rt Hon Ariadne "Ari" Suchet MP
Former Prime Minister and Leader of the Labour Party

"TrashPotato Today at 2:11 AM
my friend offered me a bottle of vodka and i sucked the vodka out the bottle like a baby sucking a titty"

ReplyQuote
Sylviane Jaubert
(@ege)
01/04/2019 4:10 pm  

I feel like mudslinging towards each other is not enough for Tories, they also feel need to sling mud at the Government. They are criticising a budget that is not out there, they are criticising so many thing that are not simply out there. Tories clearly learned nothing from this election so let's remember why we are here once again, Tory lies, sleaze and stubbornness. Tories act like that person everyone single one of us knows, never admits mistakes, wrongs and always blames others for their own shortfallings. Tories need to do a lot of self reflection and a friendly advice from me, this is not how you do it.

Sylviane Jaubert MP
MP for Cynon Valley

my friend offered me a bottle of vodka and i sucked the vodka out the bottle like a baby sucking a titty"

ReplyQuote
Sylviane Jaubert
(@ege)
01/04/2019 4:28 pm  

Dylan Macmillan, of all people out there should not preach about u-turns. Dylan Macmillan supported Lords reform, before he opposed it. Dylan Macmillan opposed a EU referendum before he supported it. Nothing has changed about EU or House of Lords, only thing that has changed is Dylan Macmillan. Dylan Macmillan abandoned so many promises because he is scared of GBC. Sarah Bannantyne made it very clear that GBC will only support Dylan Macmillan as long as he capitulates on EU referendum. 

Now Sarah Bannantyne and GBC sent a warning shot on election night, give us more or we will take you down. After the election Sarah wrote an editorial on the Telegraph and listed her grievances and her demands. Dylan listened it and gave them whatever they want behind close door and now GBC is supporting Dylan. Dylan Macmillan has turned into a puppet that Sarah Bannantyne and her rag tag team controls and everyone can see through their act. 

Sylviane Jaubert MP
MP for Cynon Valley

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
02/04/2019 11:11 pm  

Attempts to downplay criticism of the government's black hole of finances by branding it "project fear" is disingenuous in the extreme and speaks to the government's lack of faith in their own "plan". The Government's collective u-turns on tax policies have left a £32bn shortfall in their income projections that needs to be filled with other taxes, spending cuts, or more borrowing. This is only the first test of the Government's commitment to fiscal responsibility, but the fact that it's come in the first Parliamentary debate of the session sets a rather worrying tone.

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
02/04/2019 11:13 pm  

This Government is determined to ignore the people at every turn. First they refuse to give you a say on our membership of the European Union, now they want to re-run or simply ignore the 2011 referendum with a slightly different system because they didn't get their way the first time. If this Government spent as much time grappling with the issues that actually matter rather than simply running roughshod over the British people they might actually have devised an answer to the £32bn black hole in their income plans.

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
02/04/2019 11:23 pm  

This Government is running scared of the big and difficult decisions, when they vetoed each other's income tax plan that was the time to fill in the £32bn hole they left behind but instead they are scrambling to try and find a fudge before the budget. Leadership is about taking the tough decisions when they arise instead of kicking the can down the road, Spineless Suchet has shown the world that she is no leader with her actions in this agenda.

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
02/04/2019 11:23 pm  

This Government is running scared of the big and difficult decisions, when they vetoed each other's income tax plan that was the time to fill in the £32bn hole they left behind but instead they are scrambling to try and find a fudge before the budget. Leadership is about taking the tough decisions when they arise instead of kicking the can down the road, Spineless Suchet has shown the world that she is no leader with her actions in this agenda.

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Nathan
(@nathan)
Estimable Member
03/04/2019 5:45 pm  

Press cycle closed. 

ReplyQuote
Nathan
(@nathan)
Estimable Member
04/04/2019 11:40 pm  

Hi loves.

Remember to only bold one tagline in your press cycle comment.

Verdict: Tory win, just.

I think the Tories came out of this as the press winners. They didn't big themselves up enough though, so they've just left a lot more people looking at the coalition with a bit more scepticism - though they're going to need another take before they see the Tories to vote for.

Labour's press operation got significantly better, but there's still room for improvement: had it been a rehash of some previous press cycles this could've spelled much worse news. Suchet weirdly is coming across as quite Prime Ministerial at moments, and her ability to both attack (the Macmillan-GBC rebuff was effective) whilst appearing to stand above the attacks (from 'who cares?' to 'stop mudslinging we're better than this' is... the transition). 

The Lib Dems this round have done what they've avoided for most of the round - and is, in my opinion if my AV hat slips a bit, fell into a mistake liberals have had recently in PR/culture wars: very good on facts, but not good as good at rhetoric; you appeared too defensive and seemed to think the facts immediately elated you above criticism. Acting besieged can work well with populism, sometimes, maybe, but you're not populists. Still, some good press comments.

Tories had an impressive press game as usual, but were up against tougher opposition. The personal attacks on Suchet were a bit of a dud (in fact, maybe you even ease the concerns of worried voters - slating Suchet for no longer pressing ahead with the things you've spent an election cycle saying was scary doesn't really win votes!). But the scrutiny of the coalition agreement, especially the economics, was really masterfully done. People really don't know what the LD-Labour agreement offers them in terms of their wallets going forward, and as I said going forwards: people can be willing to pay more tax, sure, but you need to be honest about what tax they're paying is... when you let the opposition tell them what those taxes could be - or worse, what fiscally irresponsible actions could potentially be taken are - then you're in a much bigger muddle. 

+ 1 media xp Ariadne Suchet.

+ 1 policy xp Deborah Carpenter.

+1 policy xp Anita Redmond.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Nathan

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: