Forum

Speeches  

RSS

Sinan
(@sinan)
Estimable Member
13/04/2019 10:04 pm  

You will be allowed one speech per day per party.

“Stalin: Stop sending people to kill me! We’ve already captured five of them, one with a bomb and another with a rifle… If you don’t stop sending killers, I’ll send one to Moscow, and I won’t have to send another” - Tito

Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
14/04/2019 1:40 pm  

Speech - Cardigan launches Buck The Trend campaign in Machynlleth

Bore da Machynlleth, bore da Sir Drefaldwyn. Wych bod yma heddiw. It’s great to be here today, truly, and to see such enthusiasm in the room. Our part of Wales is one which is truly unique, not just politically, but in where we are in the world.

“Corners of Montgomeryshire, like here in Machynlleth, look west, towards Ceredigion, Snowdonia, and our beautiful coastline. Here, unlike in a lot of the county, I have the privilege of being able to use Welsh casually and still be understood. Mae hynny'n wych.

“Looking east, we have a very different scene. Montgomery, my hometown, is very different in a lot of ways. In the south, Newtown and Llanidloes are rural hubs, without which towns like Llanfair Caereinion’s hill farming communities would have no place to sell their produce.

“Whatever first language you may speak, though, whether you live in our towns and villages or at the foot of the Breidden, we are all part of this fantastic county, and the country that I am proud to call my home - Wales.

“What unites Montgomeryshire, really, I think is a sense of defiance. The way of life that many people lead here is not one that is understood in Westminster, or Cardiff Bay for that matter.

“Our communities have never followed the national political trends - why should they? Mont has stood in defiance at extreme politics and governments before. It should do so again.

I know this county better than just about anyone. I grew up here, I have lived here for almost all of my life, and I have done all I can to represent everyone who lives here in Parliament for nearly half a decade.

“This time, though, is different. I’m asking for your support not based on the colour of my rosette, or what the whips office is asking of me, but as an individual. That’s why I’m running, and putting my career at risk to do so, as an Independent.

“Don’t let the mainstream political parties tell you that their way is the only way. We need strong voices in parliament willing to stand up for their constituencies, and willing to put the people they represent above the party they do.

“Dylan MacMillan is a good man, I really believe that. If someone as principled as him can be so corrupted by our partisan system, then I fear for our country immensely. The slimy GBC & their backbenchers will continue to run the show unless their extreme program is voted down.

“Labour are not much better. The moderating influence of the Liberal Democrats is very welcome, but we all know what Ari Suchet believes really, and how extreme her ideal of Britain is. We can’t stand for that, not here in Powys, and especially not here in the only Welsh seat never to have voted Labour.

I will always put the interests of Montgomeryshire first. That is my pledge to everyone here. There is no rosette or whip that can hold me back in speaking up for our county’s interests.

“Friends, I think it’s about time that the sense of defiance that defines Montgomeryshire, and that defines Wales, is made clear once again. Don’t put up with partisan politicians who will sell out their constituents for a shot at a spot in cabinet. Demand better.

“I’ve put my money where my mouth is, and called this by-election to show that Montgomeryshire demands better from politicians than what we’ve been left with across the country in years gone by. I can only hope now that my trust in the public will be repaid at the ballot box.

Let’s Buck The Trend. Diolch!

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
Kandler
(@juliet-manning)
Member A-team
14/04/2019 3:18 pm  

We will give more powers to the Welsh Government, legislating early in the next Parliament to devolve to Wales powers outlined in the cross party Silk Commission, including on policing and elections, energy and transport. And Labour will ensure fair funding for Wales. We will implement a funding floor.

Labour is at one with the people of Wales in wanting a strong set of powers that allow our nation to shape its own destiny, but with the social and economic advantages that the Union still provides. With support for independence at a record low, the Welsh people have rejected narrow nationalism in favour of

reforming government to give more power to people.

Labour’s patriotic vision of Wales is as a powerful and proud country, an integral part of our United Kingdom. We will continue to stand up for Wales’ interests within the Union, and against those that would seek to break us apart or marginalise Welsh voices in the UK Parliament. Sarah Bannantyne, I’m looking at you.

The Welsh Labour Government has shown what can be achieved through devolution, delivering on the priorities of Welsh communities and bringing power closer to people.

Like so many forms of progress, a Wales without devolved government is now unimaginable. It has become a vital and central feature of the United Kingdom’s constitution. So we will recognise this fact by enshrining in legislation the permanence of Welsh devolution, and we will strengthen it.

We will push for legislation on the recommendations from part two of the Silk Commission, and on which there is cross party agreement, and we will go further on policing and the work programme.

It is right that powers should be assumed as devolved to Wales unless specifically reserved to UK government. That is why this Labour-led government will consult on introducing the Reserved Powers model for Wales.

As the National Assembly for Wales has taken on greater powers and responsibility for law making, it is no longer right that Westminster holds total control over the ways in which Welsh elections are conducted. So Labour will again seek to move power closer to people by devolving powers over Welsh Assembly and local government elections, including when these elections are called and the age at which people can vote. Under a future Labour government, it will be for the National Assembly to determine how many members it should have and what its title should be. This will all be subject to safeguards as demanded by the Liberal Democrats; but in broad terms, let me be clear - Wales deserves, and will get, parity with Scotland.

Strengthening devolution must also go beyond the devolved institutions themselves. That is why I want to devolve powers over a range of areas that should be under the control of the Welsh people.

I want to devolve to the Welsh Government the powers to shape the priorities for policing in Wales.

This would give the Welsh people a greater say over how they are policed and improve integration with the other emergency services, which are already devolved to Wales, such as the ambulance and fire service.

Rt Hon. Juliet Manning MP, MSc (UCL)
MP for Luton South
Secretary of State for the Home Department
Minister for Defence
Lord High Chancellor

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
14/04/2019 11:13 pm  

Ladies and Gentlemen hello and welcome.

This by-election is a choice and a very simple one at that, my friends it is within your power to decide whether you want to keep a Conservative Party MP or if you would like a Liberal Democrat to represent you. At the end of the day that is the choice. On the one hand you have a party that enables the Labour-led government, a government that is raising taxes, cutting prison capacity, and reneging on their manifesto commitments. On the other hand you have the Conservative Party, a party committed to proper government responsibility, a party committed to increasing employment sustainably, and a party committed to protecting our public services and ensuring that they are in a position where they can thrive into the next decade and beyond. Alex Cardigan is a good man, he is a man that I respect, but he is not being honest with the people. Look at the Liberal Democrats, he’s their guy, if he isn’t wearing orange this election he will be at the next one. If you want a credible opposition to Labour’s hard left lurch then Wyn is the man for you.

Electing Wyn Rhys-Evans as your Conservative Member for Parliament will take us one step closer to a position where we can provide Conservative Party solutions to the problems facing Wales. Wyn and I recognise that Wales has not thrived in anyway similar to some regions of England but unlike some who want to wallow in that failure for electoral success we are providing solutions that will see Montgomeryshire, and Wales more broadly, strive and succeed over the coming years. It is the Conservative Party that have advocated for the providing of £750mn for regional broadband coverage with particular emphasis going towards more rural regions such as this one. Imagine what economic potential could be unlocked with greater broadband speeds coming as standard? Labour and the Liberal Democrats, either up front or through their unofficial candidate, haven’t even come close to this sort of investment. When the budget was recently tabled they seemed far more interested in not hiring enough medical professionals to staff all their new hospitals. Every vote counts and every vote that can be provided for Wyn is a vote that can be used to provide a voice for policies such as this that help Montgomeryshire and all of Wales find their feet in our digital age.

But a vote for Wyn isn’t just a vote for faster download speeds, as a committed Conservative Wyn will be a champion for employment and education in this great constituency, nowhere is this more apparent than in our party’s apprenticeship policy. In the election this year the Conservative Party committed to providing for 3mn apprentices by the end of the Parliament, in the budget this year the Government provided for just 15,000 new apprentices. My friends I ask you which set of numbers will allow the people of Montgomeryshire to thrive, learn a trade, and build themselves up into the future? Every vote for my good friend Wyn here is a vote for a man who will be a voice for the whole United Kingdom, but especially Wales and Montgomeryshire, to get access to the kind of funding that will allow this constituency to partake in their share of the 3 million apprenticeships target by the end of our next term in office. Alex once stood for that goal, but the company he now keeps have proven themselves to be bad for business, bad for investment, and bad for Wales.

Heading into this by election remember what matters folks. This election is a chance to offer not only a rebuke of the Liberal Democrats and their decision to enable a hard left government waging war on prisons, investment, and even on the concept of fully staffed hospitals, it is a chance to put in place an MP who will tirelessly stand up for conservative values. Wyn Rhys-Evans is a blue-blooded Conservative through and through, he will stand up against the Government’s plans to allow a blanket amnesty for those who have no right to be here, he will fight for apprenticeships and investment in Wales, and he will fight for the services required to allow high-tech start ups in places like here in Montgomeryshire. The Welsh economy has been let down by governments of both colours but the Conservative Party are committed to building a stronger economy for Montgomeryshire and for Wales. My friends you need an MP who will fight for solutions to the problems we have not help enable those who create a whole load of new problems. In this by-election if you want a local candidate who will fight for your interests then the obvious choice is Wyn Rhys-Evans, the Conservative Party candidate for Montgomeryshire.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Unknown (14)
Media Experience: Capable (57)
Policy Experience: Unknown (15)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
15/04/2019 8:15 pm  

After being introduced by Conservative candidate Wyn Rhys-Evans, William takes the stage at a campaign rally in Newtown

Bore da bo-rre dah, Newtown!  I could not be more excited to be with you all today, here in this great town, as we work together to make Wyn Rhys-Evans the next Member of Parliament for Montgomeryshire! 

The people of Newtown, and people across the Montgomeryshire constituency, deserve an MP who's going to put their constituents first. Who will put the good of the people over partisan politicking. And most importantly, who will bring Welsh values to Westminster. I can say with confidence that there's no man more prepared for the job than Wyn Rhys-Evans!

My grandparents are Scottish, and as anyone with Scottish grandparents will tell you, it's all but impossible to avoid inheriting their sense of no-nonsense frankness. With that said, I'm not one for beating around the bush, so let's get straight to the point. I know many in Wales feel like they can no longer trust the Conservative Party. I know that many of you feel let down by us, that your concerns have been ignored. And frankly, you're right. We should have done more to make our commitment to Wales clear. 

So today, I'm not going to tell you why you have "no choice but to vote for the Conservative candidate," or attempt to stoke fear about what will happen if another candidate wins. I think all of you deserve better than that. So instead, I'm going to tell you why I believe Wyn deserves the honor of representing you all in the House of Commons. I'm going to lay out our party's plan for Wales. I'm going to explain why I believe we should earn back your trust, and with that, earn back your vote. 

Over the past couple of weeks Wyn and I have gotten the chance to get to know one another, and everything I learn about him makes me all the more proud that he's our party's candidate in this election. He's passionate about public service, and committed to the belief that government exists to serve the will of the people. He's a man who loves his country; born and raised here in Montgomeryshire, Wyn is a fierce advocate for his community and a strong believer in Wales' potential. As your MP, Wyn's sole focus is to an amplify the voices of the people he represents, ensuring the policies we pursue are ones that work for Wales. 

Now let's talk about those policies, about what the Conservative Party wants to do strengthen Montgomeryshire and the whole of Wales. Today, I want to talk about our vision of Wales future: a future of low taxes, strong local economic growth, and bold ideas to unleash the full potential of Wales. 

A vote for Wyn is a vote for an economic strategy that works for Wales. Britain's economy is still recovering, and as a result far too many in Wales continue to struggle to. Wales deserves an MP who will fight for Parliament to prioritize and support industries that matter to communities here in Wales. That means supporting rural economies and giving local farmers the support they need; reforming the the EU Common Agricultural Policy to eliminate regulations placed on Welsh farmers by unelected bureaucrats, increasing the number of apprenticeships in farming, and investing in modern infrastructure advancements that will better connect Welsh farmers and businessmen to markets across Britain.

A vote for Wyn is a vote for Welsh business. As Labour and the Liberal Democrats have shown, when they have the keys to 10 Downing, taxes on people like you and me are going to go up. They've made it more expensive to invest in Welsh business, more expensive to purchase your first home, and more expensive to take out a loan from your local bank. Wales has some of the most innovative businesses and entrepreneurial minds in our country, and they shouldn't be held back by the regulatory chains imposed by Westminster. With your support, the Conservative Party will make sure you keep more of your hard-earned pay packet. We'll keep taxes low, reduce regulatory burdens on small business, and eliminate the deficit so that our children and grandchildren are free from the burden of insurmountable government debt.

And lastly, a vote for Wyn is a vote for a stronger Welsh Assembly. The more power vested in local government, the easier it is for British citizens to be apart of the decision making process. I am a passionate believer in strengthening the powers of the Welsh Assembly, because it guarantees that more decisions effecting the everyday lives of people here in Wales are actually made by people who live in Wales. With your vote. the Conservative Party will be one step closer to implementing Wales' devolution settlement; giving the Assembly control over its own affairs from size of the body to who is eligible to vote, devolving more power over control of ports and energy consents, and giving the Assembly more authority over business policy by empowering the body to vary corporation tax to meet the needs of the Welsh economy. 

I've been told I can be a little long-winded, so thank you for putting up with me and let me assure you I'm nearly finished. Every candidate in this race has talked about their desire to put the people of Montgomeryshire first. Embracing a budget that will undermine Welsh business isn't putting Montgomeryshire first. Choosing to abandon the Conservative Party manifesto on which you were elected certainly isn't putting Montgomeryshire first. As many have said before me, this election is a choice. This election affords all of you with the opportunity to make clear what putting Montgomeryshire first really means. And electing Wyn Rhys-Evans as your next MP could not send a clearer message that putting Montgomeryshire first means putting duty to country over personal ambition. 

Thank you all so much, especially for putting up with my tendency to run over my allotted time! It is wonderful to be here in Montgomeryshire, and I look forward to working with all of you to elect Wyn  this constituency's next MP! 

ReplyQuote
Margot Winter
(@margot-winter)
15/04/2019 10:43 pm  

Speech: UKIP Parliamentary Leader Margot Winter speaks up at a campaign event alongside UKIP candidate Michelle Brown:

Noswaith dda, good evening all!

Let me start by saying that it is a great pleasure to be here with you today, particularly because of how thrilling it is not only to travel across such a beautiful corner of Wales and also because of how just how important this by-election campaign is.

When it comes down to it, the people of this constituency will face a very important decision soon. You will have the unique and wonderful opportunity to send a clear message that will not only resonate across Wales, but that will reach Westminster directly. It is therefore incredibly important that when you make your choice and when you vote, you do so for what you believe in and not because of any narratives that the old parties would wish to install. I imagine you’ve already seen the outrageous and so typically manipulative leaflets sent by Labour or by the Lib Dems – sorry, by Mr. Cardigan – which seek to portray Labour on the rise despite having come in last on this year’s General Election, or worse, that do not even acknowledge the existence of UKIP in what can only be described as sheer arrogance.

They might find it normal to try and manipulate the electorate like that, to be so casually dismissive of your intelligence as informed, responsible voters so as to think the people of this constituency can be fooled by dodgy, questionable graphics. They may well find it normal, for that is the way in which old politics has worked for years and years as the three main parties trade places in government and fail to deliver after having done such a good job of raising false expectations for the people. And that, ladies and gentlemen, that seems to me the very definition of a wasted vote. A wasted vote, because for all the promises and all the rhetoric you know far better than I do that they all behave quite similarly.

And worse, that there is actual little difference when you consider voting for the Labour candidate may well be to vote for a rubber stamp MP who’ll back the Coalition, when you consider that Mr. Cardigan is basically the Liberal Democrat candidate and therefore another would-be Coalition rubber stamp, and when you also  account for the fact that the Conservative candidate not only belongs to a party that couldn’t care less about Wales, but represents a party led by another Lib-Dem in disguise. Wouldn’t it therefore be a wasted vote if you were to vote for old politics instead of using this great opportunity to send Westminster a clear message that they will be forced to listen to?

I’ve had the privilege of campaigning with Michelle here, and I believe with all my passion and all my heart that she is the right woman to represent Montgomeryshire as your next Member of Parliament. Michelle, a proud native of Wales, is not an old politician who has been there forever. She, like you, is fed up with the way politics has been run over the past few years, fed up with the fact that not only is Wales and the best interests of its people ignored by the metropolitan elites, but that an increasing number of people are left behind. Veterans betrayed by the horrendous record of now both Coalition governments, small businesses hurt by economic recklessness, ordinary people who have suffered the worst part of health cuts or justice and crime mismanagement under the big parties. And Michelle, just like you and me, believes the time is right to make a stand.

By electing her as your MP you will have a young, determined woman of principle and belief standing up for you and your concerns in Westminster. You will have an MP who has experience as a legal advisor, who is an animal lover, who cares deeply about education and particularly about children with special needs. You will have an MP who actually shares the deep concerns of Wales and of areas like Montgomeryshire about unlimited illegal immigration, about Westminster’s soft touch on crime, about the arrogance of politicians denying a referendum and even a debate on the EU and its negative impacts here. You will have an MP that will fight tirelessly to empower you and your community instead of lecturing you about your views as so many career politicians do today. You will have an MP who is just sick and tired of people being ignored and left behind by political parties and politicians who clearly lost the plot years ago.

So why waste this wonderful opportunity to elect a plain speaking, direct and honest MP by voting instead for old politics to carry on as usual? Why not use this opportunity to deliver that powerful message to Westminster, to make it beyond clear how tired you are about being left behind, ignored, or as the Conservatives would wish, left unable to even speak up if you desire? Why not say “enough is enough”? Michelle believes in Montgomeryshire, she believes in Wales and she believes in you. UKIP and myself do so as well. And you have a historic chance to help secure real change in politics. All you have to do, my friends, is vote for it.

Thank you very much!

Margot Winter MP
Member of Parliament for Thurrock (2014 - Present)

ReplyQuote
Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
15/04/2019 11:18 pm  

Cardigan - “I will be a progressive voice for Montgomeryshire and Buck The Trend of rising populism”

“Prynhawn da, good afternoon. Fantastic to be here in Welshpool and to be able to address such an enthusiastic local team of activists. I’ve shaken thousands of hands over the past weeks, and I must say, one thing is clear on the doorstep - this is going to be a very tight race.

Progressives simply have to unite here in MontgomeryshireP. We must, there is no choice. However uncomfortable it may feel for Labour, Plaid, Green, and Lib Dem voters, all four of those parties are either not standing or have zero chance of winning - I am the only progressive candidate who has any chance of winning.

“My voting record speaks for itself. On gay marriage, parliamentary reform, the Welsh language, Europe, rural affairs, immigration, and whole host of progressive issues, I have been a steadfast supporter of social justice.

“Dylan Macmillan is a man I once respected deeply, and campaigned for, and stood up for, when basically no other Tory MPs were willing to. He has changed vastly over the past year, he has abandoned his principles, and his actions raise questions as to what he actually believes in - he was a pro-European moderate prepared to abandon the Tories with me, at one point. He appears to be in the clutch of the GBC now.

The Tories have flooded Montgomeryshire with English MPs who have hardly ever even been to Wales before. They don’t get it. They don’t get that our community isn’t going to be persuaded by xenophobic dog-whistling. They don’t get our language, that much I understand deeply. They don’t get our values, or rural issues, or, really, Wales. I do.

“Montgomeryshire has elected a liberally-minded MP of some sort for every election, bar 1979, since the war. Clement Davies, Emlyn Hooson, Alex Carlile - some real liberal greats. I have no idea where the idea that we are some regressive backwards place comes from, and why that is what the Tory campaign seems to be focusing on.

“You might notice Wyn has been quiet on the building of a new Welsh medium school in Powys, something we desperately need, as the only county lacking one. Wyn and Dylan want to run a campaign on immigration, on hate. I want to run one on the issues really facing our community, not on dividing us based on place of birth.

“I will be a progressive voice for Montgomeryshire and Buck The Trend of rising populism if returned to parliament. Dylan and Wyn, two men I have worked with in years gone by, are running campaigns based on hate and fear-mongering about immigration. He’s going after UKIP voters - I want to win the moderate majority here in Montgomeryshire.

“If the Tories think they can win on a campaign of hate, they’re wrong. I’m convinced of it. This will be a tough fight, and only a few votes will be in it, but we simply have to win. Our community cannot be divided by xenophobic rhetoric like this without a clear progressive opposition. I am Montgomeryshire’s progressive voice and I am convinced that we can unite and Buck The Trend of populism.”

“The choice voters will have is simple. An extreme and radical Tory party in the clutches of the GBC or a progressive local voice prepared to stand up to populism. Only I can beat the extremists, and Buck The Trend. I’ve called this election because I trust the public to choose their representatives wisely - I hope that my trust will be repaid at the ballot box.”

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
15/04/2019 11:56 pm  

It is great to be in Llanidloes, today I am here because of a by-election for the seat of Montgomeryshire or in its Welsh name, Sir Drefaldwyn, hopefully I did not butcher the Welsh name. We are here today because to support our nominee, Jamie Hutchings and to support our government. Our goverment is already delivering our promises. We are investing 7 billion in NHS, we are investing in almost 800 million pounds on public health with half of it going to social care, 750 million in community mental healthcare, 250 million in mental health secondary and long term care. In year one there will be 5000 new beds in NHS, 10000 new nurses for our hospitals and 6000 support staff. Tories gutted our NHS, left it hang out to dry, they have bleed out our NHS and they blaming immigrants for effects of their cuts to NHS. Tories are not only vicious, they are also cowards. For the Party of Personal Responsibility, they are not taking any responsibility for their actions. Only Jamie Hutchings can help us to deliver more to Wales.

We are already delivering 20,000 more police in our streets, we are ending the hostile environment for benefits claimants and disabled individuals, we are increasing the personal allowance to 10,000 pounds. Tories can not and will not deliver that. Anything Dylan Macmillan promises to you, can be unpromised in any given second. Dylan was for Lords reform, then he is against it. Dylan was against EU referendum, now he is for it. Only thing you can count on with Dylan Macmillan is that he will not keep his promises.

Jamie Hutchings will deliver more powers to National Assembly of Wales, so that Welsh can people decide what is best for Wales. Right now National Assembly of Wales is reliant so many of its powers and revenue from the Westminster, we as a Labour government will work with the Welsh government but the previous coalition government clearly showed that Welsh government and National Assembly on Wales can not rely on scraps Westminster gives. Wales needs and deserves real powers and Jamie Hutchings will be the only one who can deliver these powers.

Diolch.

The Rt Hon Ariadne "Ari" Suchet MP
Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras
The Prime Minister
Leader of the Labour Party

Parliamentary: 9
Media: 28 Novice (19 base +1 Media I/ +4 Media IV /+2 for Leader's Debate/+1 for Press Cycle 11/+1 for Press Cycle 12 )
Policy: 9

"TrashPotato Today at 2:11 AM
my friend offered me a bottle of vodka and i sucked the vodka out the bottle like a baby sucking a titty"

ReplyQuote
Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
16/04/2019 2:39 pm  

Cardigan - “I’m the candidate of Carlile, of Hooson, of Davies, of Lloyd-George. Wyn is the candidate of Macmillan. ”

“Over the past weeks on the campaign trail, one thing has become very clear to me. The Conservatives here in Montgomeryshire stand for nothing and have been running a campaign based on that lack of backbone. Wyn has been silent whilst English Tories have ran the show, another failed Welsh campaign like in 2014.

“Dylan Macmillan used to be a leading moderate pro-European moderate in the Tories with me - what has happened? My views haven’t shifted, but his have, for one simple and cynical reason - he reckons he can win votes from UKIP. His tactics won’t work, he’s too flimsy, and UKIP do very well, sadly, because of that.

“We saw UKIP take Shrewsbury & Atcham, a constituency that borders us, and that many in Powys - me included - were born in the hospital of. UKIP can rise up and win these sorts of constituencies unless we vote for progressive candidates, and unless they can be fought. I’m the leading progressive voice in Montgomeryshire and staunchly anti-UKIP.

“We need to stand up against populists of all sort, as progressives. Conservatives have no backbone and will say anything to get elected, whilst UKIP stand for a brand of xenophobia that I find immensely distasteful. I make this appeal quite explicitly, to everyone who voted against me last time - I need your support to defeat these duplicitous right-wingers.

“Moderate conservatives have greeted me with a fine reception throughout the campaign trail, too. I want to appeal to all of you out there who are pro-business, pro-Europe, and miss the coalition - I need your support as well, to teach these dangerous eurosceptics and parachuted campaigners a lesson, and stand up for our community.

“I will be a progressive voice for Montgomeryshire and Buck The Trend of rising populism, if returned as your MP. I have always put Montgomeryshire first, and stood up for my principles before the oppressive colour of my rosette. As an Independent MP, I would be able to be more vociferous in my criticism of both Ari and Dylan, and fight for our country before all else.

“My record speaks for itself. I have been a leading advocate of the Welsh language in parliament, unlike the Tories. I have fought for stronger arts funding in schools and was an early backer of the pupil premium, unlike the Tories. I have stood up for our rural communities, especially their need for EU funding, unlike the Tories.

“Dylan’s record doesn’t say anything at all. He has been pro-Europe and anti-Europe depending on what suited his career. He has fought against UKIP voters and ruthlessly fought for them. He has been a moderate and a radical, a wet and a dry. Wyn has been silent the whole campaign and let Dylan be his voice. We should demand better.

“Tories have never really wanted to win here, it’s inconvenient, and voters are too moderate & sensible for their message to appeal. My victories have not been, as the awful William Croft may suggest, based on our manifesto - never once have I canvassed a voter who has read the Tory manifesto. My support has been based on community politics.

“Montgomeryshire is not a Conservative place. Only one Tory between 1880 and 2010 won here, and he lost immediately. We’re a fundamentally liberal, community focused, progressive part of the world. We need a Welsh medium school, we need our European subsidies protected, we need a strong local voice. Sir Drefaldwyn yn unigryw. Nid Torïaid ddim yn cael hynny.

“As an Independent Liberal, I will be able to represent our unique political tradition in far more apt terms than I could as a Tory, and I will do so with every bit of passion I have. I’m the candidate of Carlile, of Hooson, of Davies, of Lloyd-George. Wyn is the candidate of Macmillan.

“Voters here have a clear choice to make. A progressive voice to Buck The Trend of rising populism with me, or mixed-message populism and no care for Montgomeryshire with the Tories. For progress, for community, and for Wales, back me at the ballot box this Thursday. Diolch yn fawr iawn!

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
Margot Winter
(@margot-winter)
16/04/2019 5:49 pm  

UKIP Parliamentary Leader Margot Winter joins UKIP candidate Michelle Brown for a campaign speech:

Noswaith dda, good evening!

It has been a very enjoyable campaign so far, if perhaps tiresome due to the sheer arrogance of the main parties we’ve been fighting against. Even today Mr. Macmillan and other career politicians continue to lecture the people of Montgomeryshire by saying UKIP can’t win, by trying to force you into voting Conservative – or Labour or Liberal as the others do – via a made-up scenario in which there is no alternative. It’s a grim way of looking at politics, don’t you agree? You’re told you don’t have a choice and can’t vote for what you want and what you believe to be right, and they try to present you the act of voting for the old parties as the only thing you can do. To which I say – to avoid a less courteous term – utter nonsense!

You do have a choice.

On one side, you can vote for the Conservative Macmillan clone, and send his hand-picked minion to Westminster to represent you in the same way Macmillan misrepresents the people: by shifting his views, by changing his principles, by selling down his voters, by promising the moon in order to get elected. And this despite the shameful spectacle of his unprincipled behavior rewarded and his party’s utterly disastrous record on gutting the NHS, being soft on crime, failing to deliver reform and a referendum and keeping immigration under control. Sure, they talk tough and act like they mean what they say, but why elect a clone MP that will mindlessly back whatever Macmillan’s views are at any given hour rather than one that will stand up for Montgomeryshire?

On another side, you can also vote the Liberal Democrat – sorry, independent and progressive liberal – Alex Cardigan as well. A man who almost created his own progressive party with Dylan Macmillan and now pretends to be fundamentally different, a man whose blatant disregard not only for UKIP but its voters and supporters showcases an elitist mindset more suitable for the metropolitan elites rather than the voice more in tune with Montgomeryshire and its people. A Liberal Democrat who is not a Liberal Democrat, a pro-open borders and pro-immigration politician who nonetheless claims not to be represented by the Manning Amnesty, a would-be independent who has the Deputy Prime Minister putting her machine behind him and who, I strongly suspect, will vote with the Coalition most of the time out of agreement with their fundamentally flawed agenda. So why elect a masquerading MP that will become another Coalition foot-soldier rather than one that will stand up for Montgomeryshire?

And yes, there is also the option of voting for the Labour candidate and supporting the Prime Minister and her Coalition government. And what a wonderful time to show support for their stellar start in government, with promises to be soft on drugs, attempts to push amnesty for illegal immigrants, refusal to give the people a chance to vote on the EU, and of course, wonder of wonders, a shambolic, botched budget which betrays pensioners and lets soldiers down while driving up overseas spending. If you can forgive me for expressing this opinion, what I’ve seen and talked about with so many of you on this constituency is miles away from what this reckless Coalition stands up. So why elect another mindless Coalition backer that will empower Suchet’s follies rather than one that will stand up for Montgomeryshire?

These are not choices, they’re flawed, known roads of failures and broken promises which the people know all too well. In essence, they’re more of the same. That is why I believe so deeply the only wasted vote is not the vote you cast out of conviction, but the vote you cast by the old parties and the career politicians knowing that you will only get the same thing you already had. There is a choice to be made, and an alternative you can vote for. There is UKIP and Michelle Brown as our candidate. We believe in a bright future for Montgomeryshire, for Wales and for the United Kingdom outside the European Union. We believe in keeping immigration under control, and standing tough on crime. We believe in a strong, vigorous NHS, so hurt and mistreated by old politics. We believe in the need for real political reform in Westminster. We believe in empowering local communities, and listening to what you have to say.

Is that not precisely what Montgomeryshire has been let down on by the career politicians? They fight hard and talk tough, but the record of all three main parties on immigration, on crime, on the EU, on the NHS, on public services, on farmers and so on is mostly a record of failure and broken promises. So why not vote for a passionate, committed and plain speaking candidate? Why not vote for a candidate who hasn’t spent her life in politics? Why not ignore the self-serving narratives pushed by Macmillan, Suchet and their kind, and actually vote for something different? This is the opportunity to speak up in favor of change, and against how badly the politicians have let you down across the years. The opportunity to make it clear you will not stand for being left behind by a disdainful, arrogant metropolitan elite. The opportunity to vote on conviction and not out of necessity. All you have to do, my friends, all you really have to do is ignore their spin, and vote for that change.

Thank you very much!

Margot Winter MP
Member of Parliament for Thurrock (2014 - Present)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
16/04/2019 9:52 pm  

Hello and welcome to the final day of campaigning my friends, this by-election has been fierce but it has put a great many ideas and policies on the map where previously the likes of Labour and the Liberal Democrats have tried to bury them.

One of the most important campaign issues we have seen since the budget is the Government’s reckless abandon for their coalition agreement commitments, most notably their utter betrayal of over 500,000 pensioners in Wales alone. Now a pension triple lock is not a complicated thing, you take a look at the economy and you see which is highest: Earning growth (2.7% in nominal terms), inflation (1.9%) or the flat figure of 2.5%. This isn’t difficult maths and any five year old can tell you that pensions should have increased by 2.7%, the Government disagreed and thanks to a “clerical error” gave pensioners far less. When I pressed the Prime Minister, a Prime Minister Cardigan and the Lib Dems would be backing up should he win tomorrow, on this issue she didn’t have an answer, instead choosing to attempt lame deflections to avoid talking about this crucial issue for some of the most vulnerable in our society. That is the difference that is starkest in this by-election. If Wyn Rhys-Evans wins then it’s one more Conservative MP who will hold this Government to account, if Alex Cardigan wins then Montgomeryshire will get the services of a man who refuses to rule out joining the government at a later date, a man who’s only standing as an independent liberal because standing as a Liberal Democrat would be an electoral disadvantage under the polling.

But the people of Montgomeryshire don’t just deserve Wyn because he will be a strong opposition to the careless mistakes and the utter incompetence of this Government, they deserve Wyn because as a Conservative Wyn is fully signed up to a series of commitments that will benefit all of Wales. Wyn is fully committed to a five year homebuilding scheme that would see the UK build an additional 200,000 homes a year by the fifth year of the next Parliament. Whilst this Government wants to gut Help to Buy, depriving many young people of the chance to own their own home rather than rent, it is the Conservative Party who stand up for home ownership in Montgomeryshire and in the broader UK. A vote for Wyn Rhys-Evans is a vote for a party that will give first time buyers a chance to own a stake in the land they live on.

Of course it would almost be rude of me to come all this way and not give my political opponents the chance to lie and call me a racist. At the end of the day a vote for Wyn Rhys-Evans is not a vote for the racist fringe of our society, it is a vote for a fair immigration system that works for everyone. The Government’s plan to provide a blanket amnesty for those who are here illegally is not just unfair on local workers who will see the supply of labour increase overnight, suppressing wages, but it is unfair on the thousands upon thousands of immigrants who came here and then remain here legally. If we’re going to go around granting an amnesty and an indefinite right to remain for all those who break the rules and ignore the system then what exactly is the point of having a set of rules or a system? The Government’s plan, fully supported by Labour, the Lib Dems, and Alex Cardigan would see all of that occur, the breakdown of our immigration system and the clear flouting of our rules and the rule of law. This very legislation proved how ineffective the Liberal Democrats are in Government and how effective Conservative MPs are in opposing them when the illegal asylum ban was mooted and it was the Conservative Party which effectively mobilised to see it taken out of the bill altogether.

Finally there’s one of the big issues for Wales. You see whilst the likes of Alex Cardigan, his Lib Dem backers, and the Labour Party sneer indifferently the people of Wales are crying out for a referendum on our membership of the European Union. Fun fact, not three months ago Alex Cardigan stood on a manifesto that explicitly promised an EU referendum, now he runs from it and reviles the manifesto he sold to Montgomeryshire with a straight face to retain his seat. I am pro-EU but I am a democrat, I understand that when the people want to be asked the question in a binding way it is our job as your MPs to deliver you the chance to have your say, not simply stand away and aloof pretending to be above it all. This by-election is a chance to send a message to Westminster that the people of Montgomeryshire want a referendum on the EU and our membership of it, it is a chance to rebuke those who think that you don’t deserve your say. UKIP can’t give you your say, Labour, Cardigan, and his Lib Dem backers won’t give you your say, if you want a say you have to vote for Wyn Rhys-Evans and the Conservative Party.

My friends this by-election is a chance to vote for the kind of Britain you want to live in. This Government are only concerned with protecting their own, the Chancellor and Business Secretary each make major mistakes that see the pension and armed forces triple locks completely abolished and ignored and they are protected by their parties. When confronted with the fact that she has abandoned millions of pensioners, 500,000 of which live in Wales, the Prime Minister and the Government attempt cheap deflections and weak distractions. Wyn Rhys-Evans is a candidate who will stand for everything I fought for when I was exiled to the opposition benches, he will fight for accountability in the halls of power. He will fight for our pensioners, advocating tirelessly to reverse the damaging halving of the pension tax relief. He will fight for a fairer immigration system, overturning the Government’s preferred system that discriminates against those who use the system fairly. And Wyn will fight for your right to have your voices heard on our future in the EU where the likes of Alex and his Government backers would not. This by-election is about standing up to power and holding those who wield it to account, a vote for Wyn Rhys-Evans is a vote for a candidate who will do just that and more, a candidate who is not going to run from his true political allegiance for electoral gain.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Unknown (14)
Media Experience: Capable (57)
Policy Experience: Unknown (15)

ReplyQuote
Share: