Forum

General Press Cycle

[Sticky] General Press Cycle  

Page 10 / 12
  RSS

cward
(@cward)
21/05/2019 10:14 pm  

What we have seen tonight is that the Leader of the Opposition has accused me of corruption. I want to be absolutely clear. I have never used this office to give patronage to any friends or political supporters. I have never given “cushy civil service jobs” to friends or relatives. What he has said can be taken in no other way than to imply that I have given favours to my friends. His statements tonight on public television are false. He must apologize publicly for his shameful looseness of words.

Calvin Ward Labour MP for Tottenham

Parliamentary- 12
Media- 9
Policy- 5

ReplyQuote
Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
28/05/2019 8:06 pm  

Week 12: Devolution and Corruption

Outcome: slight Labour win

Even output for this "week" of press - Ward's statement gets more airtime for being the only thing on the topic, whereas Mac's is part of a number of statements on Scotland.

+1 Media XP to Macmillan and Ward

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
30/05/2019 10:49 am  

I welcome the House of Lords' interjection on the issue of constitutional reform. The voters overwhelmingly rejected the Liberal Democrats' vision of the UK by having three votes against them for every one vote for them. The fact that Labour are so weakened by the election results that they would have to throw out their own manifesto commitment to holding referenda on any constitutional reform is exactly why the Salisbury Convention is so important, to hold Labour to their promises rather than simply let them run roughshod over their own covenant with the British people. The House of Lords has done this nation a great service by blocking the Government's heavy handed and frankly disastrous legislation, the Government would be well advised to listen and accept all amendments without opposition to save their own manifesto commitments and the value of their word.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (21)
Media Experience: Capable (57)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
30/05/2019 10:59 am  

The Government's inability to pass meaningful legislation has been proven again by their unwillingness to even propose legislation now. The fact that they are so scared of more defeats in the Upper House for their ill-thought out legislation is actively harming the country on issues such as social care, the post-referendum Scottish question, and even the fate of their own landmark constitutional reform. If this Government are afraid to legislate to the point where they're ignoring the House of Commons then they should stand aside and make way for people, like the Conservative Party, who can lead.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Bertie
(@tonybcwilson)
Anthony B.C. Wilson MP
30/05/2019 11:31 am  

The Reform Bill must be tempered, and the amendments put forward by the House of Lords make it sensibly more democratic. The desperation of the Liberal Democrats to force deform upon the people whom have rejected it already is rather pathetic, the STV reform is unnecessary and seizes power from the people and hands it to themselves. In a hung parliament the Liberal Democrats are almost always the Coalition maker, STV guarantees them always to be at the final arbiters of any Government despite their poor performance. STV is a power grab dressed up in reform that I cannot be a part of passing this reform.

The manifesto I stood on and abide promised no further constitutional change without a referendum. I ask, why we have abandoned this? It seems the Liberal Democrats lead in the Coalition rather than the senior partner and it is important that we do not accept the moves of fringe neo-separatists to establish Cornish devolution. Nor accept that reform should be the focus of this Government, it is a distraction from the continued recovery under this government from the world financial crash.  I advise strongly that the Government accepts all the amendments and abandons the plans to appease neo-separatists in who wish to cede from our Country and put ideological priorities over economic and cultural common-sense.

Anthony Bertram Charles Wilson, MP for Darlington.
Parliamentary: 11
Media: 24
Policy: 6

Macmillan liked
ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
30/05/2019 12:01 pm  

On every measurable issue of note of the day this Government are failing our nation and their constituents. The Government pledged cross-party talks on the future of Scottish Devolution, they have failed, the Government pledged more powers to Wales, they have failed, the Government pledged to cut the deficit, they have failed. Every single pledge that the Government have made to the British people has been broken and now they are so terrified to move that the Government leaves questions in the House unanswered and has not presented a single piece of legislation since their attempt at constitutional vandalism which has since been rejected sensibly by the House of Lords. This is a Government of failure and of broken promises, they have done nothing that they said they'd do and they have no mandate for the things that they have done. The Government needs to sort itself out and lead the country or they need to get out of the way for those of us who can.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
01/06/2019 8:27 am  

Again the Leader of the Opposition is just factually inaccurate. This government has made progress on dozens of its first year commitments and delivered tangible improvements to the quality of life and opportunities of millions of Britons. We have abolished the bedroom tax and ended some of the burning injustices in our welfare system; we have increased the tax-free allowance and more than doubled the pupil premium; we have delivered billions of dollars worth of investment in infrastructure, housing, and the green economy. We have reduced the day-to-day deficit by more than previous plans would have entailed. When Dylan Macmillan says we haven't done a single thing, he's just lying. The Leader of the Opposition's job is to provide scrutiny, but if he can't get his facts straight, he should get out of the way for those who can. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Education and Employment
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 22
Media - 42
Policy - 26

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
01/06/2019 2:58 pm  

The Government need to stop lying to the people. No new legislation in seven months, more borrowing, more debt, and a higher deficit. This Government has rejected its own mandate, thrown out its own deficit forecasts, and neglected the House of Commons. Rather than attempting desperate spin they should focus on trying to actually do something that benefits this country rather than simply running up more debt and running away from Parliament.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
03/06/2019 10:03 pm  

This Government are more concerned about keeping the Liberal Democrats on board than they are about dealing with the crises that have risen up during their months of inaction. Since the reform bill was first proposed we have seen radical Islam taught in British schools, the National Audit Office say we don't deport enough foreign born criminals, and the future of our country mortgaged through higher deficits that will have to be paid back by their generation. The Government can try and pretend that they have a plan but this Prime Minister is doing nothing but living day to day at the beck and call of her Lib Dem "allies". The Government are committed to wasting time on vanity issues to allow themselves to keep trudging along but the Conservatives will not let them get away with it. We will continue to oppose their wrecking reform bill and hold them to account over their numerous failings due to seven whole months of next to no policy or even appearances in the House of Commons.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
03/06/2019 10:20 pm  

The Chancellor is many things but I would not for one second believe that he would protect the freedoms of betting shops over people with life-destroying gambling addictions. Our reforms would lift the exemption betting shops currently enjoy from VAT allowing us to better protect those who suffer from these addictions, the Chancellor would rather protect the people trying to take advantage of these poor souls to make a quick score. The Conservative Party has always been the party looking out for the freedoms of the little guy including their freedoms from addiction and exploitation, the fact that the Chancellor would leave addicts to the people who simply want to use them for profit shows just how beholden to the gambling lobby he really is. It's time we put people first and stopped their exploitation by those who simply want to make a profit from their addictions.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
cward
(@cward)
04/06/2019 2:18 pm  

Now that the Leader of the Opposition has attacked my character without apology, he has gone on to move to characterizing my policy positions. The reason I'm not wanting to make any changes to VAT is because we don't believe increasing VAT is actually looking out for the "little guy" as Mr. Macmillan has so called the working people of this country. We have a long history of the Conservatives promising not to touch VAT. David Cameron said two elections ago, "We have absolutely no plans to raise VAT." and then they did. Time and again they promise to not make changes, and I know he says it's a structure in form not in increase. But doesn't removing an exemption just another clandestine rise? Here we are again, and they will do it again. He can spin it how he wants to, but it's not just bad form, it's blatantly dishonest

Calvin Ward Labour MP for Tottenham

Parliamentary- 12
Media- 9
Policy- 5

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
07/06/2019 3:37 am  

As always, my office remains open - as do I personally - to discussing Bertie Wilson's concerns in an honest and constructive way. Instead, however, he seems intent on spinning false narratives and mounting bogus personal attacks in the media, sowing a narrative of disunity and inequality in a government that works well together and is delivering the most bold and progressive agenda for decades. The coalition agreement implements the vast majority of both party's manifestos, but Mr Wilson needs accept that that requires give and take from both sides - as I and Ari have both done.

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Education and Employment
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 22
Media - 42
Policy - 26

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
10/06/2019 7:49 pm  

The Government are still ignoring the people of Scotland and Wales to push through their anti-democratic reform agenda. At the moment the House of Commons is debating, for the second time, a bill that would give Cornwall an assembly they didn't ask for and a majority of their constituencies rejected at the last general election. The Prime Minister made a list of promises to the people of Scotland, she promised more powers and a cross-party process to build a consensus, she needs to uphold these promises or the Conservative Party will uphold them for her. The people of Scotland, deserve better than a Prime Minister who will promise them good things and not get around to it because Scotland is inconvenient for her agenda. We won the independence referendum on the back of promises, I intend to ensure that those promises are kept, if we don't then the nationalists will come back stronger than ever and it'll all be fault of this Prime Minister.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
10/06/2019 7:49 pm  

Cut off for marking to be done on June 10, 2019

Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian AV

Macmillan liked
ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
10/06/2019 8:18 pm  

Week 13 - infighting, devolution and the Leader of the Opposition all over the press

If you want press, you've gotta talk to the press. And Labour frontbenchers are almost nowhere to be found. As Labour backbencher Anthony Wilson said, "It seems the Liberal Democrats lead in the Coalition rather than the senior partner..." The press loves a maverick. Speaking out against his own party earns attention. +1 Media to Anthony Wilson.

The response from Calvin Ward starts off a bit "whiny". You're in politics - you're going to get attacked. Complaining won't change it. When he pivots, he pivots well and lays out the historical case, and he lands a blow on the Tories. +1 Media to Calvin Ward.

And, of course, the Leader of the Opposition leads a pile-on on devolution, on the Lords and on other topics. There's a weak attempt to stomp down his message, but it doesn't really work. By virtue of nobody running defense against him, his message resonates. +1 Media to Macmillan.

The Deputy PM tries to tamp down Wilson's criticism. It's an okay attempt. But it's muted, and doesn't have the same oomph of the initial attack. No XP awarded.

Overall, the Conservatives romp to victory this week - though a note of caution that it's quantity, not quality that won it. Labour has shown they can craft a good line - they should do more of that, because they can quickly turn the tide on the one-man band that is, so far, the Conservative effort. 

This post was modified 1 week ago by Josh

Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian AV

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 12
Share: