General Press Cycle

[Sticky] General Press Cycle  

Page 11 / 12
  RSS

Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
10/06/2019 8:37 pm  

Let's examine some of the Government's more spurious budget claims on Twitter, especially regarding their performance since the last election. Here's a fact for you, in the year 2014 unemployment fell exactly as fast as it is now, in other words this unemployment drop is nothing to do with the Government and everything to do with the difficult choices the Conservatives made before the election. Real wage growth has increased, the Conservative Party's tax pledge will give the people an even larger wage increase before their annual pay rise has even happened. Labour have no answer for solid Conservative economics, if they did then we wouldn't have Labour backbenchers wondering aloud who actually runs the Government.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (21)
Media Experience: Capable (57)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
12/06/2019 11:17 pm  

Because the Government are more concerned about a package of constitutional reforms that they have no mandate for than they are about the constitutional reforms they have a mandate for they have ignored the people of Scotland. For months and months there has been pressure building to start a bipartisan process across the Chamber of the House of Commons to find a consensual way forward to deliver on the constitutional reforms promised in the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence, their failure to act has forced the Conservative Party to act for them. Our Scotland Act delivers on the four main policy pledges that the Conservative Party campaigned on in the General Election and the Independence Referendum. Under our plan Scotland shall have complete discretion over Income Tax, the power to vary Corporation Tax by plus or minus 5%, and the power to make serious decisions about the nature of Scottish elections. On top of these powers we have included provisions to entrench the Scottish Parliament as an intrinsic and inseparable part of our United Kingdom and its own constitutional makeup. No British Prime Minister will be able to abolish Holyrood without a majority and a mandate from a referendum of the Scottish people, no Scottish First Minister will be able to abolish the Scottish Parliament without a 2/3rds majority of that same body. The Conservative Party are delivering on the promises we made to the Scottish people in the absence of any kind of leadership from Government, the Tories are now the clear party of Scottish unionism and the strongest force to stand against the insurgent SNP.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
13/06/2019 8:20 pm  

I've just left the floor of the House of Commons, where I was honored to speak in favor of the Conservative Party's legislation to make good on the promises that were made to the Scottish people during the referendum campaign. Over the course of the campaign I made clear how personal this issue is for me; my mother being Scottish, and by extension a good deal of my family being Scottish, taught me early on the value of our Union and how important it is that we protect it. The Scotland Act does just that: protecting our Union by ensuring all three major parties deliver on the commitments we made about Scotland's future role in the United Kingdom. 

The legislation that we have proposed gives the Scottish Parliament full control over income tax, enhanced control over corporate tax, and the institutional legitimacy and independence required for fully functioning legislative body. In doing so we not only ensure that the promises made during the campaign are met, but also guarantee that the Scottish people have a greater say over the decisions effecting their everyday lives. This legislation is a win-win; it's good for Scotland, and it's good for the whole of the United Kingdom. 

It has my full support, as I imagine it will have the full support of all those Labour and Liberal Democrat MPs who joined the Conservative Party in guaranteeing a new place for Scotland in a modern United Kingdom. 

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
14/06/2019 11:47 am  

While the Government has been busy trying to offload a package of Constitutional reforms that lack any mandate, notably including an attempt to create a regional parliament that nobody asked for, the Conservatives have now presented a bill in the Commons to give the people of Scotland the devolution that they both want and were promised.

Scottish independence was only staved off because the Better Together campaign made some very clear promises to the Scottish people, promises which we're delivering on.  Not only has the Government failed to deliver on those promises, they haven't even given a strong hint that such a delivery is in the works.  Instead of engaging in clearly promised and urgently demanded reforms, the Government has dithered and allowed itself to become distracted.  The time for action is now, and as of now the Conservatives are leading the way on devolution.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

25 Policy/14 Media/14 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
15/06/2019 9:44 pm  

The Government's inability to muster a single word in the Commons or the Press on the Tory Party's Scotland Act shows us many things but at the end of the day all it does is fill me with sadness. When I hit the campaign trail and made all the promises that I made, promises on taxes and the constitution, I meant every single one of them. That's why my party's bill includes every single promise I made to the people of Scotland as I ran across the country campaigning to save the union and the country I love so dearly. I urge the Government to engage constructively, or indeed at all, with the Scotland Act so we can start to make good on the promises we made as a united front in the Better Together Campaign. The alternative is the resurgence of talk of independence and the further emboldening of the SNP in the polls and in Westminster which I'm sure all unionists will agree is a bad thing.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
15/06/2019 10:05 pm  

Better Together prevailed because of some very clear promises on improving devolution to Scotland.  To date, the Government has not sought to fulfill those promises while the Conservatives have.  I am very worried that if the Government does not seek to fulfill Britain's part of the Better Together bargain, we may find ourselves facing another referendum call.

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
17/06/2019 3:32 pm  

The Government's silence on the Scotland Act is defeating, and constitutes a massive betrayal both to the Scottish people and to our great Union. The legislation put to the Commons by the Conservative Party delivers on the promises that were made during the referendum campaign, ensuring that Scotland receives the enhanced place in the Union that it was guaranteed. For not a single Government MP to even bother showing up to the debate is a slap in the face to Scotland, and shows how little they care for the future of our Union. It's time for the Government to start governing, to show up for work, and to get on with the job. And if they can't, they must step aside in favor of a party that can. 

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
17/06/2019 3:51 pm  

As debate on the Scotland Act draws to a close and the Speaker calls for a division I can only register my shock absolute disgust that the Government could not muster a single Minister to debate the Scotland Act. The people of Scotland deserve a Prime Minister and a Government who will take their interests seriously, clearly they will not find them in Labour or the Liberal Democrats.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
19/06/2019 11:02 am  

I am pleased to have delivered a ministerial statement to the House this week implementing gender pay gap reporting. We will be requiring all organisations in the UK with 250 or more employees to publish data on their gender pay gaps - including on bonus pay and how many men and women are in each pay quartile. By promoting transparency, we are empowering businesses to do better, empowering employees and customers to demand better, and allowing our society as a whole to work out what sectors and what regions require more effective action in terms of promoting gender equality. This is another manifesto commitment delivered upon, and a victory for transparency, accountability and ensuring equality of opportunity in the workplace. We are also establishing voluntary reporting schemes for race and disability pay gaps, expanding the benefits of transparency into other areas where discrimination and inequality still persist, and implementing measures, such as incentives for government contractors, to promote pay accountability more generally, promoting as standard the publication of information such as how many employees are on good wages and the differences between executive and employee compensation. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Education and Employment
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 22
Media - 42
Policy - 26

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
19/06/2019 11:16 am  

I am tremendously excited that Lord Paddy Ashdown - a stalwart defender of the ideals of working together with our allies, protecting human rights and preserving liberal democracy - has joined the European Commission and will be taking the lead on European policy in the areas of international cooperation and development. Lord Ashdown will be a strong voice in favour of defending and reforming the EU. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 22
Media - 42
Policy - 26

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
19/06/2019 11:44 am  

The government is committed to working on Scottish devolution in a cross-party way, building on the ideas that the Better Together campaign developed - drawing on ideas and contributions from all parties - during the campaign. We support the Scotland Act the Conservatives have put forward because it contains some of the policy ideas that there was cross-party consensus on and because we believe it is essential that we avoid turning this issue into just another opportunity to score party political points. This is only the start of the efforts parliament must make to support decentralisation and devolution, and next year we will be publishing an additional Scotland Act. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 22
Media - 42
Policy - 26

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
19/06/2019 12:07 pm  

This government is committed to the Reform Act - drafted by a Labour minister and honoring manifesto commitments by both parties - and a key part of that is expanding voting rights. Under these provisions, we will be preserving the right to vote of British citizens who live abroad and, for the first time, giving voting rights to 16 and 17 year olds. This will end the unjust denial of voting rights and full democratic participation for millions. The Conservatives are arguing to subject this to a referendum. Not only is there no mandate for doing this - it is not a constitutional change that parties have traditionally called to be subject to referendum - but there is something deeply unsavoury about making the right to vote for some dependent on the approval of others. The right to vote should not be extended only when it is popular to do so - it is a fundamental necessity. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 22
Media - 42
Policy - 26

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
19/06/2019 2:01 pm  

There is never anything unsavory, or even wrong, about putting a change in the electoral system to the voters.  Whether we are talking about how MPs are chosen or who gets to participate, letting the electorate decide acts as a check against Westminster deciding to "go off and do its own thing" either without a mandate or in contravention of the voters' mandate.

ReplyQuote
Alex Cardigan
(@alexcardigan)
Trusted Member
19/06/2019 11:55 pm  

The Conservative Party want to take us out of Europe, risking our economic security and British influence on the global stage. Conservative moderates who value our place in Europe should follow me and join the Liberal Democrats. The Tories have abandoned their centre-ground, moderate, modern values, and given in to UKIP and the hard right. Today's DPMQs showed that perfectly. There is no place for moderates in the current Conservatives, and only Graham Adiputera's Liberal Democrats are standing up for centre-ground voters.

Alex Cardigan
MP for Montgomeryshire
Parliamentary - 5
Media - 16
Policy - 3

ReplyQuote
cward
(@cward)
20/06/2019 4:51 am  

We have seen the true colors of the Conservative party today. The party leadership have shown that their default position top to bottom is Euroskepticism. This is a party that has sold out to UKIP, consequences be damned. It is not simply a matter of reform; a position that is admirable and I sympathize with. Rather Mr. Byrne, speaking for the Conservatives as a whole, has set them on a path that is solely destructive. I can understand that those Conservative backbenchers would be hesitant to join Labour on many issues. But it is imperative that they, as well as the Conservative voters need to think long and hard if this leadership speaks for them. Our relationship with Europe is an important one and it is a monumental decision of unity that can’t be taken lightly. 

Calvin Ward Labour MP for Tottenham

Parliamentary- 12
Media- 9
Policy- 5

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 12
Share: