[Sticky] General Press Cycle

647 Posts
49 Users
7 Likes
11.4 K Views
General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

Following Harold Jameson's Twitter comments where he referred to my name mockingly as Adiapurta and Adiaphora, a senior Conservative Party figure has contacted me to inform me that the party has rebuked Jameson for the "frankly racist connotations" of his remarks. I welcome this move. Mocking names is part of politics, but context matters: mocking names that are different purely because of their ethnic and linguistic origin is a form of dog-whistle discrimination that has serious impacts. Like many individuals from BAME communities, when growing up I would often endure opportunities denied and respect withheld purely on the basis of my name. This is why we must strive for a kinder, gentler politics. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
William (Will) Conway
(@will-conway)
MP for Milton Keynes North

It's a shame that one's own party would leak internal and I thought informal discussions to another party.  Apparently virtue signalling is not confined to Labour and the Lib Dems.  Thank you, my party's leadership, for not allowing me to speak for myself and going behind my back like this.  In this sense, there is true non-partisanship in politics.

Will Conway
Conservative
MP for Milton Keynes North (2014- )
Shadow Secretary of State for Energy,
Environment and Climate Change (2016)

Parliamentary 16
Media 14
Policy 8

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

Putting aside the fact that Harold Jameson is wrong to characterise what I was told as a leak, the most worrying thing is that he thinks condemning racism and not believing your political opponents are bad people is a form of virtue signalling. That is a deeply worrying ethos to have. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
William (Will) Conway
(@will-conway)

Apparently I live rent-free in the DPM's head.  Maybe he needs to get back to work and stop obsessing about a tweet.

Will Conway
Conservative

Parliamentary 16
Media 14
Policy 8

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

I think it's the sign of someone who's losing an argument to resort to personal attacks. I hope he recognises that his comments, as his party recognised, had "frankly racist connotations", and that he accepts that describing your political opponents as bad people just is not on. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
Member Registered

Harold Jameson's behaviour has been completely unacceptable. We need to be real: would he make fun of my surname, or Dylan Macmillan's, or William Croft's, or a variety of other white politicians' surnames? I think unfortunately we all know the answer, and this kind of mockery of BAME individuals has gone on too long. They deserve more respect and deserve better.

Harold Jameson may strongly disagree, but his party have been right to reprimand him for his unacceptable behaviour. However, if they truly believe it has 'frankly racist connotations' this needs to go much further than a slap on the wrist. 

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
William (Will) Conway
(@will-conway)

This holier-than-thou routine is getting tiring.  What does it say about the second most powerful man in government that he feels he has the time to fuss like a schoolmarm at a backbencher that few people outside of Reading ever heard of before the Deputy Prime Minister elevated this non-issue into a national crisis? 

And the sanctimony of the man, decrying negativity in politics while libelling me for racism and "describing my political opponents as bad people."   I feel like I'm stuck in an episode of "Yes, Minister."

Will Conway
Conservative

Parliamentary 16
Media 14
Policy 8

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

The fact is, it doesn't take long to respond to the MP for Reading West. I've spent about five minutes talking about him in total today. I appreciate the concern for my job, but he should redirect his concern to his own behaviour. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
William (Will) Conway
(@will-conway)

And once again, the ever loquacious Mr. Adiputera grasps for the last word.  Shame on him for trivializing racism.  

Will Conway
Conservative

Parliamentary 16
Media 14
Policy 8

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
Member Registered

Today the Deputy Prime Minister confirmed what many of us suspected for a long time: the Government failed to consult with a single foreign government before making the decision to take in 250,000 refugees. During any international crisis of this magnitude, leading global powers always work together to shoulder the burden and to develop a comprehensive plan that best fits the needs of those requiring help. For decades, politicians from all sides of the political spectrum have warned how dangerous it is for any country to attempt to go it alone when it comes to solving global problems.  

The Coalition Government, however, decided not to heed those warnings. This morning in the House of Commons I pressed the Deputy Prime Minister, three separate times, to provide to Parliament a list of the foreign nations the Government was working with when they made the decision to admit 250,000 refugees into Britain. He couldn't name a single nation, because the Government didn't bother working with any.

Instead, they made a unilateral decision to move hundreds of thousands of people out of a conflict zone and into a foreign land. The Government didn't bother working with our allies in the Middle East, our partners in Europe, or our friends in the United States. They acted alone, as they always do, undermining what could have been a far more effective multinational effort in the process. We have an obligation to the millions of people who have been displaced by ISIL to develop a comprehensive plan that utilizes the resources of multiple nations, an obligation the Government has failed to meet. 

Britain can't solve crises like this on our own, no one nation can. It's not that the Government doesn't know this, they simply don't care. It is now overwhelmingly clear that the decision to bring in these 250,000 refugees had very little to do with their wellbeing, and everything to do with a Prime Minister desperately clinging to power and hoping that bold action could save her premiership. Well it didn't, and now the Government's self-serving gamble is set to hurt Britain at home and undermine our credibility abroad. 

This is a scandal of international proportions, and I simply do not know how the Government can continue to carry on. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

As someone who has actually experienced racism, I will not abide by Harold Jameson refusing to apologise for his rhetoric that even his own party condemned as racist. His latest defence - that calling out racism somehow counts as 'trivialising' it - shows just how much he has to learn on the issue. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
Member Registered

I'm more than happy to confirm that it was the Shadow Home Secretary and I who reprimanded one of our MPs for his behavior towards the Deputy Prime Minister. Racism and identity-based discrimination in any form has no place in the Conservative and Unionist Party. This individual's repeated attempts to skirt responsibility and double-down on his blatantly offensive comments are a disservice to our responsibility as the Opposition to work hard and hold the Government to account. Appropriate action will be taken. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
John Knox
(@jknox)
Member Registered

I’m not going to say that I called out Mr. Jameson’s racism and bigotry first. But I  will say that I was spot on in my assessment and such attitudes have no place in Parliament

Calvin Ward Conservative MP for Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale

Parliamentary- 7
Media- 13
Policy- 6

ReplyQuote
(@steven-andrews)

Instead of working with Europe to solve the current crisis, the Government has decided to 'go it alone' on handling refugees.  The current refugee crisis, in size and scope, is far greater than any one nation can hope to handle.  Any sort of real and comprehensive solution, rather than a throw-away policy, needs cooperation with our partners or we risk disrupting the EU's refugee admission processes.  Yet the Deputy Prime Minister, in the House, as much as admitted that there was no consultation between the Government and any of our Continental partners.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire Registered

As of today the MP for Reading West Mr Harold Jameson is being expelled from the Conservative and Unionist Party for his racist attacks against Mr Adiputera, the Leader of the Liberal Democrats. The Conservative and Unionist Party has a zero tolerance approach to racism of any kind in its elected officials or its membership and will continue to stand up for a society where people are free whatever their race or colour.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Page 19 / 44
Share: