[Sticky] General Press Cycle  

Page 24 / 44
  RSS

Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Member A-team
29/06/2019 10:59 am  

Marker (anything beyond this won’t be marked)

Dan

A-Team

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
29/06/2019 8:58 pm  

Today the Prime Minister was asked multiple times to confirm who the Government spoke to when drawing up its refugee plan, he couldn't name a single country or NGO. He was asked about where we would get the refugees from, he couldn't answer that question. He was asked about vetting procedures and he could answer that one, telling everyone that we were outsourcing the vetting of refugees coming to the UK to the United Nations. The Government have no plan for refugees, no idea how to manage the implementation of their vision, and have abdicated their ability to vet those who would come to this country. It. Is. A. Disgrace.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
29/06/2019 9:16 pm  

At what point will the Lib Dems do what is in the national interest and cut their ties with a PM who doesn't even know his own mind? Let alone have a plan for the country.

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
29/06/2019 10:46 pm  

A new Prime Minister that the public didn't vote for is a joke, two new Prime Ministers that the public didn't vote for would be an outrage. If Labour get rid of Ward, within a month of him assuming office no less, then they simply must call a General Election to renew their mandate with the British people.

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
29/06/2019 10:58 pm  

The PM's performance at Prime Minister's Questions was rather a shambles.  One of my colleagues said it best when we were talking in the halls afterwards: This Government isn't pulling U-Turns, they're doing doughnuts in the Palace lawn.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
29/06/2019 11:05 pm  

The fact that we are hearing credible rumours of an attempt to knife Ward within weeks of him taking office is quite stunning. Labour needs to seriously reflect on themselves if they're already looking to dump their Prime Minister right after he took office.  Given how quickly the plotting broke out and how close the result was, you can't help but wonder if this is down to Faye Gallacher having a bad case of being a sore loser.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Member A-team
30/06/2019 11:34 am  

Christ can you lot talk......

First things first, BOLD YOUR TAGLINES. BOLD YOUR TAGLINES. BOLD YOUR TAGLINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a few where there were some great entries but no bold, please do so in future so they are included.

Labour

Some good contributions here. I was screaming within myself at the fact it was essentially all Gallacher from Labour's side until the contributions from Blakesley and Williams came in with Ward. You guys were a bit absent at the start of this cycle (aware you had a few sign ups mid way through which is great 🙂 ) but I felt your messaging was strong after you had sorted yourselves out.

1 + XP Gallacher, 1 + XP Blakesley.

Conservatives

You worked as a team, yay!!!

The tories felt on point in the press this round and actually dominated, smacking the government over Scotland, over the new PM and making the case for the EU referendum (probably the longest running storyline in PolUK, it's competing with the "Who Killed Lucy" storyline in Eastenders). Good contributions from all but special mention to Andrews and Croft who had some stunning lines.

1 + XP Croft, 1 + XP Andrews.

Lib Dems -

Adiputera does a good job here defending the government and smacking back at the opposition. On point and well delivered.

1 + Adpituera

Summary:

The Tories dominated this debate , so a Tory Win.

Play on....

Dan

A-Team

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
30/06/2019 3:23 pm  

Last week my colleagues and I told the Government that it was in their interest to secure a public mandate, because Government's that do so tend to last longer - this morning we were proven right. The Coalition has lost any shred of credibility they once held, with the sudden departure of Calvin Ward a clear indicator that Labour is no longer fit to lead Britain. We need leaders, not politicians that will go weak in the knees at the first sign of a challenge. For the good of the country, we need an election now.

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
Thomas Reynolds
(@isaac)
30/06/2019 3:23 pm  

The fact the Prime Minister has gone is shocking. 3 PMs in a month, Prime Minister Ward lasted a week. This government has lost all of its legitimacy. The government don't know where they stand, and don't known what they are doing. A general election must be called.

Let the British people decide their leader, as the Labour Party clearly cannot do so.

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
30/06/2019 3:29 pm  

If the Liberal Democrats care for Britain's future, and to be frank their own future, they will leave the Coalition and stop Labour from doing even more damage to our country. I have absolutely zero faith that Labour MPs will do the right thing and call an election; they have proven time and time again that they are desperate to cling to power, and will put political gain over the British people every time.  The Liberal Democrats, however, are a different story. The Deputy Prime Minister and I may disagree heavily on policy, but he's a good man with a good heart. If he cares for Britain like I believe he does, he will pull the plug on a Coalition that is clearly on its last leg, and let the British people choose their next Prime Minister. 

William Croft
Shadow Foreign Secretary

ReplyQuote
Anita Redmond
(@anita-redmond)
MP for North Somerset
30/06/2019 8:42 pm  

I have always enjoyed a good, strong relationship with Graham Adpituera - he is intelligent, capable, and he and I share much in common, particulary on social issues. In this instance, I urge him to also use the common sense he also holds in abundance to stop this charade of a Labour Party from causing further damage to our country, and back a Vote of No Confidence.

This entire situation is playing out like a Jane Austin novel - I am certain that Graham will make it 'Sense & Sensibility', rather than 'Pride & Prejudice'

Rt. Hon. Anita Redmond MP
Conservative Member of Parliament for North Somerset
Shadow Education Secretary
Shadow Minister for Women & Equalities

Former Home Secretary (2014)
Total Experience: 65
Parliamentary: Novice (25)
Media: Novice (29)
Policy: Unknown (11)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
30/06/2019 9:21 pm  

The Conservative Party's intentions behind calling the VONC are quite clear: we believe the Coalition Government is wrecking our country, we believe Britain deserves better, and we are prepared to deliver just that. During the debate in Parliament, a number of Labour MPs have tried to attack our party by saying the VONC is an attempt to hit the Government when they're weak. Well, they're right. We don't believe the Coalition is fit to govern, we don't believe they're taking our country in the right direction, and we're going to fight as hard as we can to give the British people the opportunity to choose their next leader in a general election. 

This is the Government that tried to torpedo Scottish devolution for political gain, that wants to bring in 250,000 refugees with literally no plan and no international cooperation, and that's just had a Prime Minister resign within a weak of entering office. Put simply, they're not fit to govern our country. The Conservatives know it, the British people know it, and we're going to make sure the Government knows it by the time this debate is over. 

William Croft
Shadow Foreign Secretary

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
30/06/2019 11:33 pm  

The Shadow Chancellor, much like his leader, prefers to engage in political gossip that serious political debate. He wonders what would happen if I 'didn't have my way.' 

My way is what it's always been: ensuring that we have a strong United Kingdom with an intact Union. If I didn't get that, I would continue to fight, fight and fight again. That is why I will oppose this cynical ploy by an Opposition that have consistently used Scotland a piece on their political chessboard and would push policies that will compromise that Union. 

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
30/06/2019 11:40 pm  

We've already seen the Leader of the Opposition have a stint at Prime Minister. What we have to remember first is that it didn't end well, but what we must remember second is that he fought to stay Prime Minister.

The Leader of the Opposition still is unable to answer: why was it okay for him to be the third Prime Minister in a single term, but it isn't okay for any other party? Personal ambition, perhaps?

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
30/06/2019 11:43 pm  

What this country needs is stability and an end to a politically toxic atmosphere almost all of us on both sides of the political debate have contributed to: a General Election wouldn't fix either, and risks making them worse. 

ReplyQuote
Page 24 / 44
Share: