{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}
General Press Cycle

[Sticky] General Press Cycle  

Page 3 / 9
  RSS

General Goose
(@general-goose)
21/02/2019 9:43 pm  

I am honored and privileged to have been asked to serve as Secretary of State of the new Department for Business, Energy and Climate Change, and delighted to confirm that I have accepted. This department has a broad remit, covering responsibilities such as cultivating skills and developing a comprehensive industrial strategy, and I am more than up for the task. I look forward to building on the brilliant achievements of my Lib Dem predecessors in the predecessor departments. BECC is a new department, and us Lib Dems pushed for its establishment. We want to create a culture in government where climate change and sustainability is considered at every step of our economic program, not tacked on at the end. Vince Cable and Ed Davey did great work towards that, but ultimately a departmental restructuring and a change in culture is what is needed. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 20
Media - 36
Policy - 25

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
21/02/2019 11:53 pm  

We fail to hold ourselves to account when we allow the press and the politicians they are supposed to hold to account get too chummy as we saw with Cameron, Blair, and Murdoch. Equally we fail to hold ourselves to account when we allow Government Ministers to threaten newspaper publications with policy changes if they do not drop their lines of inquiry as we allegedly saw in 2012 with Maria Miller. But we fail to hold ourselves to account the most when perfect storms of malice or incompetence result in Members of Parliament actively undermining the integrity of independent journalists like the BBC's Nick Robinson. Politicians must do more to welcome meaningful scrutiny and accountability, including legislative and competitive reforms as well as inquiries to determine facts and culpability for potential electoral wrong-doing.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Unknown (14)
Media Experience: Capable (45)
Policy Experience: Unknown (13)

ReplyQuote
Nathan
(@nathan)
Estimable Member
22/02/2019 2:58 am  

Week 1: Pre-Round, Leadership and the Economy 

Verdict: Conservative win. Quite comfortably. 

The Conservatives, if you've been paying any attention to the game, have been having a much harder time - and the polls are reflecting that. But their press game is currently much, much better, which mitigating a lot of that. The pre-round stuff was nice, and hit the right notes all around (except Labour - more later). But a hard left backbencher made a crass comment on Thatcher. This would give Tories reason to kick off, but it wouldn't mean much except that person happened to end up getting elected Labour leader.

I of all people know Thatcher isn't some usually adored Churchillian figure. Half of the country associated her with poverty and despair, to be blunt. But most people in the country think you should respect the dead, take Deborah Carpenter's line of 'I may not agree with everything she did but...' and expect potential Prime Ministers to be statesman like. This helped the Tories launch a swift, vicious and effective campaign against Labour's new leader. An apology would've been humiliating, but been alright damage control. Labour's radio silence (or not even an attempt to defend the comments!) did not help.

There was also a debate on the economy. It was generic and unlikely to change anyone's minds, but the Conservatives came out of it looking more authoritative and credible. Labour need to prepare to strengthen their economic message and come with a strong rebut of the Conservative mantra - they have a long way to go, too.

I did like how Labour made announcements via the press - it won't build much in polling, but it's better than twitter for profile. Remember the press exists, and unlike twitter is can be your friend because they will help you reach a wider audience than your follow base and they will also help you spin things.

Where are my Lib Dems at? You weren't non-existent, but you can put up a better press fight than that.

+1 Policy xp, Deborah CarpenterA little spammy there at the beginning, but a slew of good press statements that make you look like someone with a decent head and heart. Well done.

+1 Policy xp, Dylan Macmillan. For the strongest contributions in the economc-y debate, and a good leadership assassination. You and Kirton made a good team. It's going to last, right...?

+1 Media xp, Meredith Hansen-CharlesNothing remarkable, but you hit all the right tones in the statements you made. I'd like to see more from you.

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
22/02/2019 4:26 pm  

I'm very pleased with the statement released by the Conservative Party this morning on the matter of the internal policy leak. The Prime Minister was very clear; the matter is serious, an impartial investigation has been opened, and the individual responsible will be held accountable for their actions. I think I speak for many not only in the Conservative Party, but across the country, when I say that now it is time to move on and get to work on the business of government. Endless drama and political intrigue might make a good story for the papers, but they do absolutely nothing to move our country forward. The coalition government has asked the British people to put their confidence in us, and we must continue to earn that confidence. All of us must get back to work, focusing on the commitments we made to the people in the last general election. I'm ready to get going, and I'm confident my colleagues in the party are ready to do the same. 

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
22/02/2019 7:47 pm  

Office of the Leader of the Opposition released the full Shadow Cabinet and a statement regarding it. 

Statement from the Leader of the Opposition: 

I am proud to announce the team that will earn the public's trust back, lead Britain to prosperity and provide a robust government that works for everyone, not just to the Tory donors. Right now Tory government is embattled, divided and simply has no aim. They are backed by a LibDem party that has enabled their worst excesses and led to so much misery within our country. Our country deserves better than what this government provides. Britain deserves a government that will not increase taxes on the poor and the middle class so that they cut taxes on the rich. Britain deserves a government that will ensure stability and affordability in cost of living, not a government that will enable energy companies that will overcharge people to get more profits and cut themselves bigger bonuses. Britain deserves a government that will balance the budget in a reasonable manner, not a government that will balance it on the backs of the neediest. As the Labour Party,  we will fight for every single person in this country, not just for the elites and the donors. As long as the Labour movement exists, the fight goes on.  

• Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer - James Wilson
  • Shadow Home Secretary - Juliet Manning
  • Shadow Foreign Secretary - Charles Trenython
  • Shadow Defence Secretary - Charles Trenython
  • Shadow Justice Secretary - Dorothy "Dot" Wainwright
  • Shadow Health Secretary - Anthony B. 'Bertie' C. Wilson
  • Shadow Education Secretary - Anthony B. 'Bertie' C. Wilson
  • Shadow BECC Secretary (Business, Energy and Climate Change) - Sean Fraser
  • Shadow DEFRA Secretary (Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) - Sean Fraser
  • Shadow Transport Secretary - Jack Woods
  • Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport - Jack Woods
  • Shadow Secretary of State for Regions and Local Government - Jack Woods
  • Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (DWP) - Anthony B. 'Bertie' C. Wilson
  • Shadow Chief Whip - Sean Fraser
  • Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities - Dorothy "Dot" Wainwright
  • Labour Party Chairperson - Juliet Manning

The Rt Hon Ariadne "Ari" Suchet MP
Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras
The Prime Minister
Leader of the Labour Party

Parliamentary: 9
Media: 28 Novice (19 base +1 Media I/ +4 Media IV /+2 for Leader's Debate/+1 for Press Cycle 11/+1 for Press Cycle 12 )
Policy: 9

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
23/02/2019 9:55 pm  

Appointing Rashida Khan to be Minister for Women and Equalities was an unwise move, and a slap in the face to advocates of equality in all parties. I'm happy that, after pressure in both Westminster and beyond, a campaign led by Meredith Hansen-Charles and the Lib Dems, she was promptly replaced. Meredith had argued that a Lib Dem should have been appointed to that position, but had never expected the Prime Minister to instead appoint someone to such an important position that many in the LGBT+ community see as hostile. Now a Lib Dem holds that position - and as we are a party resolutely devoted to equality on the grounds on sex, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, race, age, religion and disability, this is news everyone can welcome. 

----

I am happy to announce that I have already begun talking with several of my Cabinet colleagues about crafting an enduring industrial strategy that places Britain at the forefront of new technological change and takes seriously the environmental and energy changes facing us, chiefly climate change. I believe it is imperative that these issues require long-term thinking and so it is of the utmost importance we do not allow party squabbling or jurisdictional tug of war battles to damage our response. I happily invite those from all parties and none to reach out to BECC to participate in this new strategy. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 20
Media - 36
Policy - 25

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
25/02/2019 3:29 pm  

I for one welcome the latest article written by Calvin Ward, I may not like a lot of the policy prognoses but what it does signify is a Labour backbench unwilling to follow their leadership off the far left diving board and into nationalisation, debt, and economic oblivion. The Labour Leader's plan for our economy means more deficit, more debt, and more uncertainty for everyone, it is patently immoral and economically unjustifiable in an era of tens of billions of pounds worth of overspend every year.

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
25/02/2019 3:33 pm  

The Labour backbenches are calling for lower taxes. Who wants to tell Ms Suchett that she literally can't deliver on that if she wants to keep her failed economic road map?

This post was modified 3 months ago by Macmillan

Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
25/02/2019 8:09 pm  

I'm incredibly pleased with the decision made by my colleague Andrew Summer to formally pardon Alan Turing. Turing is a British hero, a man who did nothing but dedicate his life to the service of his country. All of us in Britain are better off because of him, and the government is right to ensure his legacy is celebrated and to offer this long overdue pardon. Homosexuality is not, and never should have been, a criminal offense. The Coalition must do more to ensure this stain on our nation's history is fully addressed, and I'm sure we can expect just that from Mr. Summer. 

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
25/02/2019 11:46 pm  

Ariadne Suchet's speech to the Fire Brigades Union made one thing very clear: Labour is prepared to promise everything to everyone, while remaining totally incapable of making the hard decisions needed to get Britain moving again. It's easy for politicians to tell an audience what they want to hear, and Ms. Suchet is certainly skilled at doing just that. Our country is in no short supply of politicians; what we need now more than ever is real leaders. Real leaders don't fixate on every opinion poll, they make the right decisions whether or not they're popular. The truth of the matter is simple: this country cannot financially support the previous pension system if we want to guarantee that future generations of firefighters will be able to have a quality pension. Ms. Suchet isn't in government, so she may have the luxury of ignoring the facts in favor of political rhetoric. The Conservatives, on the other hand, are always going to be straight with the British people and tell it like it is. 

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
26/02/2019 3:32 pm  

It was my distinct privilege to speak in favor of the government's Historical Sexual Offenses Pardon Act. This legislation is long overdue, and is a critical step forward in righting the historic wrong of criminalizing homosexuality. Today, the government has made our position very clear: we want to build a Britain where every person, no matter who you are, where you come from, or who you choose to love has an equal shot at success. There is no place for homophobia in Britain. There is no room for hatred or bigotry in a modern Britain where equal opportunity must be extended to all. The LGBTQ community in this country have deserved better for a long time, and this is just the beginning of our work to regain their trust. I'm particularly proud to be a member of the government today, and I look forward to this legislation's swift passage. 

ReplyQuote
Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Member A-team
26/02/2019 8:35 pm  

Statement from the Chief Whips Office:

The Conservative Party can confirm that Michael Kirton MP has completed his investigation into the leak which occurred during the Conservative leadership contest.

The investigation has reported back as inconclusive.

Based on the investigation reporting back as inconclusive, the Conservative Party will now appoint an external organisation to continue the investigation into the leak.

Dan

A-Team

ReplyQuote
Andrew Summer
(@andrew-summer)
27/02/2019 6:32 pm  

It was a privilege to start my term as Justice Secretary by requesting a royal pardon for Dr. Alan Turing and presenting the Historical Sexual Offences Pardon Act before Parliament. Whilst legal and based on the societal attitudes of the past few decades the charge and conviction of thousands of homosexual Britons for the sole “crime” of having a single-sex relationship is a historical injustice of great magnitude, and it is very important to ensure at least some of those injustices are corrected. What was done to Dr. Turing and to dozens of thousands of Britons over their sexual orientation was wrong, and we must continue to work hard so our justice system does not let Britons down.

Rt. Hon. Andrew Summer MP
First Secretary of State (2013 - 2014)
Justice Secretary (2013 - 2014, 2014 - Present)
Nations, Regions, and Local Government Secretary (2014 - Present)
Member of Parliament for Ashford (2001 - Present)

Parliamentary experience: Unknown (19)
Media experience: Unknown (22)
Policy experience: Unknown (13)

ReplyQuote
Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@meredith-hansen-charles)
28/02/2019 8:23 pm  

The decision for the Conservative Party to appoint an external investigator into the leak during the Conservative leadership election is welcome. Only with a truly independent investigation can the truth of how the leak occurred can resolve this issue. The culture of leaking in Westminster has long plagued British politics, and it is time that all political parties get serious on tackling this issue to ensure that the way out nation's politics works is open and transparent in order for the British people to have confidence in all of us as politicians.

-----------------------

The Liberal Democrats are opposed to the proposed amendments to the Recall of MPs bill from Calum Douglas Wilson. His amendments would place an unprecedented level of power into the hands of political party leadership over Members of Parliament, enabling Party Leaders to effectively force out MPs they have disagreements with. The recent suspension of Dylan Macmillan is a prime example of this, under these amendments the Conservative Party leadership would have forced a by-election in a seat where the sitting MP delivered a speech the leadership did not like. That is not the politics I want in this country, where power is concentrated in a few select people and where MPs are too concerned with appealing to their party's leadership instead of representing their constituents' best interests.

Meredith Hansen-Charles QC MP
Cambridge (2005-Present)
Leader of the Liberal Democrats

Parliamentary experience: Novice (20)
Media experience: Novice (24)
Policy experience: Unknown (9)

ReplyQuote
Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@meredith-hansen-charles)
28/02/2019 8:28 pm  

I would like to congratulate Andrew Summer on his recent legislation and pursuit of a posthumous pardon of Alan Turing. The Coalition Government has made great strides in advancing the rights of LGBT people and this recent action is the next step in advancing those rights. Pardoning those committed of offences no longer on the statute books is the right thing to do, and the Coalition will continue to ensure that the Justice system in our country will always be based on protecting all British people.

Meredith Hansen-Charles QC MP
Cambridge (2005-Present)
Leader of the Liberal Democrats

Parliamentary experience: Novice (20)
Media experience: Novice (24)
Policy experience: Unknown (9)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9
Share: