General Press Cycle

[Sticky] General Press Cycle  

Page 31 / 40
  RSS

Roger De Gruchy
(@roger-de-gruchy)
MP for Chelsea and Fulham
10/07/2019 11:48 am  

The Prime Minister has confirmed that all Syrian refugees who are granted entry into Europe will have the same rights as anyone else, including the right to freedom of movement. This means that the national safety of the United Kingdom is dependent on the security processes in place in countries like Greece where the burden of the refugee crisis is so heavy that border security forces are struggling to cope. Britain's security and safety should never be dependent on other countries' ability to screen migrants. This is especially concerning because the Prime Minister's predecessor was very clear: the Labour government did not work with our allies in Europe one iota to ensure that border security was at a suitable standard. 

Roger De Gruchy

Parliamentary: Unknown (15)
Media: Novice (22)
Policy: Unknown (10)

ReplyQuote
Roger De Gruchy
(@roger-de-gruchy)
10/07/2019 11:53 am  

I am extremely happy to be able to congratulate my new colleagues on their excellent performance in the by-elections. The Conservative Party ran six extremely strong candidates and their performances were a credit both to themselves and to their party. What these by-elections have shown us is that Britons are not happy with the Lib-Lab coalition government and prefer to see something else. The government have had their working majority cut to fewer than 20 votes in the House of Commons and the Labour Party, in particular, saw their majorities slashed even in the seats they retained. Britons are, rightly, frustrated with this government and are looking for a sensible alternative. 

Roger De Gruchy

Parliamentary: Unknown (15)
Policy: Unknown (10)

ReplyQuote
William (Will) Conway
(@will-conway)
MP for Milton Keynes North
10/07/2019 3:43 pm  

We no longer have to guess based on public opinion polls.  We know, based on actual by election results, that this Government has lost the trust and confidence of the people.  When the polls opened, the Government parties held all six of the seats up for a vote.   Labour held two seats in Scotland and three seats in England.  The Liberal Democrats held Watford in England.  

We all know what happened.  The Liberal Democrats lost Watford to the Conservative Party.  Labour's majority in Darlington crashed from over 20 percent over the Conservative Party to literally 8 votes, and that was with UKIP stealing much of our support.  If there were a ten point swing nationally, the Conservative Party would finish 20 points ahead of Labour and win a massive majority in the Commons.  And remember, Darlington was the bright spot for Labour!

The biggest story of the night, however, was in Scotland.  Two held Labour seats swung massively against them, and their candidates ended up in single digits, a poor third and fourth.  Who benefitted?  Not the Liberal Democrats, who are part of a Government that has treated Scotland with contempt.  No, Dumfries and Galloway saw a Conservative victory from third place in the last General Election, while the SNP won Dunfermline and West Fife.  This confirms what we have been saying all along:  the real battle in Scotland is between the SNP and the Conservative Party.  Unionists in Scotland are coalescing behind our party.  The people of Scotland just are not buying the Coalition's lies and excuses anymore.  

The bottom line is this:  Labour's vote collapsed in England AND Scotland.  The Liberal Democrats lost their one seat.  And the swing to the Conservative Party was massive.  The people of Great Britain are calling for a change in Government.

(edited Scotland to add the d)

This post was modified 1 week ago by William (Will) Conway

Will Conway
Conservative
MP for Milton Keynes North (2014- )
Shadow Secretary of State for Energy,
Environment and Climate Change (2016- )

Parliamentary 16
Media 13
Policy 8

ReplyQuote
Caroline Blakesley
(@caroline-blakesley)
Prime Minister & MP for Hammersmith
10/07/2019 7:46 pm  

Immediately upon taking office I spoke with President Obama regarding the situation on the ground in both Iraq and Syria. It was made quite clear that while the efforts of the United Kingdom, United States, and France to halt Daesh's progress towards Baghdad with an aerial campaign were hampering their efforts, it was not enough to diminish or degrade Daesh. With that in mind the Government led the way in establishing an expanded international coalition - a process that began on my first day in office - and now includes nearly 20 nations contributing to the fight against Daesh.

More importantly, we established that a lasting defeat of Daesh would require the deployment of British armed forces, along with other nations of the coalition, on the ground in a series of supporting roles aimed at training, providing logistical support, and delivering operational guidance to Iraqi forces on the ground. Let me be clear - there was absolute evidence that an air only campaign, as was attempted previously, would not have been successful if expanded in the absence of additional ground commitment. We are prepared to commit to such a role.

It is clear that a new strategy, a bold strategy has not been suggested nor generated until now, is necessary to defeat Daesh. We, along with our Coalition allies, are prepared to deliver that strategy. The previous strategies designed to degrade, weaken, and diminish Daesh were insufficient. The United Kingdom will accept nothing less than an enduring, lasting defeat of Daesh and we have the plan to deliver it.

Caroline Blakesley
Prime Minister
MP for Hammersmith

Parliamentary: Unknown (13)
Media: Unknown (17)
Policy: Unknown (16)

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
10/07/2019 10:49 pm  

Off the top - three paragraphs in the GPC is two paragraphs too much. This isn't the Commons and it isn't an address to a group. Short and snippy. Gallacher is an example of what I want to see more of - short and sweet.

Now to the issues. On the change of PMs, indeed it damages Labour. You look shambolic in the eyes of the voters... at least you did until this cycle addressed it pretty effectively. That doesn't take away the fact that the Tories landed body blows on you. A reminder, though: there's no such thing as an unelected PM. In the eyes of the voters, this fact doesn't matter. But political scientists and constitutional experts are not happy with this line, particularly noting the hypocrisy of it coming from a Leader of the Opposition who once inherited the job himself. But, again: in the eyes of the everyday man and woman, the PM merry-go-round needs to end. Macmillan, Croft, Blakesley, Nerina and Gallacher on this issue: +1 media. 

There's a lot of back and forth on devolution issues. Gallacher handles them well, and Croft from the Tories jumps in with some good punchback. Each of you can have another +1 media. 

The LibDems jump in here with some good points as well, and as a one-man show right now, their efforts are noted. Great quality. +1 Adiptuera.

There's a lot here on the Refugee issue as well - on this point, the narrow win goes to the Tories. I've given out a lot of XP so will withhold more, but in the eyes of the public, right now, the Tories are winning. Easily changeable, though!

There's a lot of punches on the by-elections and polling. I'll give +1 to Conway on this with the following warning: see my previous point on paragraphs. Concise moving forward.

There's more content here - we won't let the marking go this long again.

In all, I'm calling this round a Labour/Tory tie, on quality over quantity. But this doesn't undo the damage Labour has done with the revolving door of PMs. You've got a lot of work to do to gain and make up in the voters eyes, and I suggest you get down to it. Standouts this round: Gallacher for Labour and Croft for the Tories. Macmillan is here a lot, and it would be wise for all leaders to give their members more chance to shine like the two mentioned previously (while I also note resources are an issue, so take that advice in the spirit it is given, knowing that I am aware of your respective realities).

Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian AV

ReplyQuote
Roger Brigham
(@roger-brigham)
11/07/2019 3:53 pm  

After days and weeks of tough campaign, we have the results of the by election. As a Conservative I couldn’t be happier for the results, we are the party with the highest net gain in votes and seats, for this reason, I congratulate and I thank our candidates, volunteers and voters for the support we received.

Beginning in Watford, a great city and constituency where Coalition policies damaged the city, the vote of the people was a clear punishment against those that want to destroy wealth creators, workers and the model that brought success to Watford, Conservatives were there with a clear message, it’s the time to take back our business, to relaunch the economy of Watford to stope high taxes for those that employ people, taxes that finally the people of Watford pay. Our message was clear and supported by a great number of people that made possible a Conservative return.

In Dumfries and Galloway, in the good land of Scotland, one message was sent by the people, there is one only party with the capacity to defeat the SNP's secessionist plan, the party that collaborates with Labour, the same Labour party that wanted to rule Britain with the support of those that go against the Union, there is only one clear unionist party in Britan that is called, the Conservative and Unionist Party. Scottish people sent a message to those that broke their promises in the Scottish referendum, to those that opposed devolution, the result is clear in Scotland, from top polling of Labour to the 4th position with a massive lost of votes. Thank you Scotland.

Finally, in Darlington the race was so close, we didn’t take the seat only by 8 votes, one think has been shown, a vote for UKIP is a vote for Labour, if the vote of all the forces that defend a EU referendum had been United, now, the same forces would have more seats in Westminster, it’s a mistake to divide our vote and we shouldn’t repeat the same mistake in the next elections, however we are proud of the result in a great Labour territory, where the ruling party lost 20% of votes.

The best summary of the by elections is a clear reject of the British people towards Coalition policies, and the results are a clear message to Conservatives, a message that we must continue with our job, with a constructive Opposition to prevent this mess and to bring back British pride, because together, we will restore what is failing now.

Roger Brigham
MP for Richmond Park

Parliamentary: Unknown (8)
Policy: Unknown (6)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
11/07/2019 5:20 pm  

The terrorist attack perpetrated by ISIL and resulting in the death of two British citizens is an attack on the whole of Britain, and must be answered by the full might and power of our great nation. My heart and deepest sympathies goes out to the family members of Catherine and Barrett Ellsworth, two British citizens ruthlessly murdered at the hands of ISIL terrorists. But our response cannot, and must not, stop at mere words and condolences. All of us in Parliament have an obligation to ensure our fellow Britons did not die in vain, and that the entire world knows what happens to those who arrogantly assume they can kill British citizens without consequences. I call on all members of Parliament to support Britain's entrance into the international coalition formed against ISIL, and urge the Government to take even further immediate action to ensure the absolute destruction of this terrorist organization. 

This was an attack on all of us, and it must be met by the unified might of all of us. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
11/07/2019 5:26 pm  

Daesh's terrorism has claimed yet more innocent lives, and our hearts and our deepest sympathies go out to the victims of the attack on the Norwegian Escape. The callous murder of Catherine and Barrett Ellsworth is an attack that must not go unanswered. This government is working round the clock to work out how we can stop further attacks of this kind, and our resolve in ensuring the military, political and ideological defeat of Daesh has only been strengthened by this tragedy. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 51
Policy - 46

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
11/07/2019 6:11 pm  

We are, of course, disappointed that we didn’t get the results we hoped for, but the Lib Dem vote share held strong and, in many places, increased. We are now in very strong positions to win Dunfermline and West Fife and Holborn and St Pancras, as well as regain Watford. We actually increased our vote share in all of those places. We do not have the resources or power of the Tories and Labour, yet we still ran spirited campaigns, with excellent candidates and activists, and gained some very positive swings in relation to the earliest polls. When you compare the initial predictions to how well Liberal Democrat candidates fared on polling day, we have a lot to be proud of. We are now, in Scotland, the clear opposition to both the short-sighted nationalism of the SNP and the brutish austerity of the Tories and, in London, are now the second party to Labour. In the Home Counties, we are the opposition to the Tories. Our message is simple: if you want to change politics for the better, vote Lib Dem. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 51
Policy - 46

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
11/07/2019 6:15 pm  

The fact is, painting the Regulatory Reform bill as a u-turn is incredibly dishonest. This government has always been pro-business: that’s why we’ve cut the small business tax rate by 2.5%, that’s why we got rid of distortionary tax loopholes and levelled the playing field for small and medium enterprises, that’s why we established the British Business Bank, a resource efficiency advisory service and new research and development programmes. This government’s record is a pro-business one, and this has happened thanks to delivering on Liberal Democrat manifesto commitments. More specifically, the provisions of this bill were, for the most part, contained in the Lib Dem manifesto and thus the coalition agreement: the Conservative Party can try and take credit, but its thought and its input had zero role. Their willingness to jeopardise our relationship with Europe and their refusal to accept the need for investing in our economy cast doubts on their own pro-business credentials. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 51
Policy - 46

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
11/07/2019 6:15 pm  

The Conservatives have, en masse, been dodging a very important question: why is it that the way Caroline Blakesley came to power was, in the words of Dylan Macmillan, “a scandal and an outrage” and, in the words of William Croft, evidence of an “unelected, untested, self-anointed” leader, when it was completely fine for Dylan Macmillan to ascend to power and try to cling to it in exactly the same circumstances? We have tried asking prominent Conservatives this question time and time again. We have never received an answer. The British people have never received an answer. Perhaps the greatest sin a politician can commit is hypocrisy - demanding others be held to one standard while giving themselves an entirely different rulebook. Dylan Macmillan is guilty of that. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 51
Policy - 46

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
11/07/2019 6:16 pm  

Make no mistake about it - the Nasty Party is back. We see it constantly - the Harold Jameson racism scandal, the Tories lying about pensions and devolution, fearmongering about refugees, now making cruel personal attacks about a good man’s struggle with alcoholism. There is a rot in the Conservative Party. I do not think for a second most Conservative MPs share this sort of destructive attitude or a conviction that those that disagree are all bad people. The culture, ultimately, begins and ends with Dylan Macmillan. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 51
Policy - 46

ReplyQuote
Muireall Fraser
(@glen)
11/07/2019 6:49 pm  

I was very pleased to see the result in my neighboring constituency of Dumfries and Galloway. People here are tired of the SNP's incompetence, costly universal freebies, and their Neverendum, and they're recognizing that the Conservatives are the sensible alternative not just to Blakesley but to Sturgeon as well. Both are in the same boat when it comes to spending the money we don't have, failing to provide incentives for businesses to grow, and hitting people in their pocketbook. We want a better future for Scotland where people can keep more of their money and their economy is allowed to grow.

If I were in the Scottish Labour headquarters, the recent by-elections would have me ringing every alarm in the building. In both contests Labour lost at least 22% in vote share from the previous election. Replicating that drop at the next election in every Scottish seat would mean not a single Labour MP would be reelected; not even the Chancellor. With Labour facing a Scottish wipe-out, it's evident that only the Conservatives are able to carry the mantle of unionism and defeat the SNP.

Muireall Fraser (Conservative and Unionist MP for Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale)

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
11/07/2019 10:45 pm  

My condolences go out to all of the families and friends of the Norwegian Escape attack victims, and my heart breaks hearing that there were two British civilians among the casualties. This government has made it clear not just in words but in actions that it remains committed in eradicating the scourge of Daesh, whose existence poses a fundamental threat to our values and our national security. They will not win.

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
11/07/2019 10:50 pm  

It is now fundamentally clear that the government continues to possess the confidence of the elected House of Commons. We will use that confidence to improve the lives of the British people and have already started to grasp a variety of issues: making zero hours contracts fairer, clean air a human right and water bills cheaper for the families that are struggling most amongst many others. The Opposition has wasted the public’s and Parliament’s time with their political stunt, it is now time they stop scheming so that they can become the effective Opposition the British people need.

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Page 31 / 40
Share: