Clear all

[Sticky] General Press Cycle  

Page 42 / 44
  RSS

Sir Geoffrey Birch
(@sir-geoffrey)
MP for Bexhill & Battle
31/07/2019 10:15 pm  

The Senate elections were an unmitigated disaster for those MPs who advocated change. They have revealed the nakedly partisan thinking behind the efforts and now Britain pays the price. The elected Senate is impossibly divided, increasingly bellicose and a threat to the primacy of the Commons, just as we who opposed it always forewarned. That a separatist party, who want to destroy our Union, can hold the balance of power is unconscionable. That the architects of this failure want to rewrite the rules again exposes the farce of it all. The Senate is constitutional vandalism of the highest order, and it has provably failed.

Sir Geoffrey Birch | Conservative Party
MP for Bexhill & Battle (2001-present)
Former MP for Northampton South (1983-1997)
Parliamentary experience: Novice (28)
Media experience: Novice (22)
Policy experience: Unknown (12)

Formerly: Deborah Carpenter, Conservative, MP for Hertford & Stortford, Former Chancellor of the Exchequer

ReplyQuote
Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@mhc)
31/07/2019 10:50 pm  

The issue with the Senate elections is that far too many politicians have become used to a electoral system that never challenges their pre-conceived notions of how politics should work. Under FPTP the Conservatives and Labour party have enjoyed complete dominance over British politics for nearly a century, it has protected them and now when face with a new electoral system they cower and quake and call for reform without even giving the Senate the chance to even sit and consider it's own work. It is the height of arrogance for politicians to complain about a system that they have not even seen work, they complain from a position of naivety and ignorance and they should give the Senate a chance before they pull it apart in their rabid fear of change.

Meredith Hansen-Charles
Cambridge
Secretary of State for Education
Minister for Women and Equalities

"Meredith Hansen-Charles...is a deity" - Kandler/The Times

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
31/07/2019 10:55 pm  

The news that 100 Libyan migrants, including young children, have died in an attempt tot cross the Mediterranean en route to Europe is deeply devastating. This tragedy is a serious reminder of the ongoing conflict raging across Libyan, and the urgent need for Britain and our partners to take action to stem the conflict and restore stability to the country. The Foreign Office's assurance that the Government is "monitoring" the situation is woefully insufficient, and underscores a clear lack of understanding of the seriousness of the problem. Endless civil war within Libyan dashes the dreams of all Libyans hoping for a better life, and provides fertile ground for terrorist organizations looking to expand their reach and capacity to do harm to people here in Britain. I implore the Prime Minister and her Foreign Secretary to address the House on what the Government plans to do to ensure Britain is taking a leading role on bringing the violence in Libya to an end. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@mhc)
31/07/2019 10:59 pm  

It is a shame that the Houses of Parliament have been left to fall into such disrepair and now are threatened if we do not act to restore them. Parliament is a beautiful building, the Mother of Parliaments but it is failing right now. The fact that we are trying to run a modern Parliament in a Victorian Palace is an irony we should not overlook. The infrastructure is completely out of date and it is not fit for purpose. It is essential that repairs and rennovations take place to secure the future of a World Heritage site but also ensure that the Parliament that is meant to serve us all is actually capable of the task.

Meredith Hansen-Charles
Cambridge
Secretary of State for Education
Minister for Women and Equalities

"Meredith Hansen-Charles...is a deity" - Kandler/The Times

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
02/08/2019 3:03 am  

I've been extremely pleased with the statistics that have come out today. We've had the deficit, inflation and unemployment trending downwards with growth and wages going upwards. Despite Tory scare stories of 'economic ruin', we know that the reality is that under Labour our finances and economy are getting stronger and stronger. I'll be more than proud to continue that legacy of sound finances and investing in the British people to create that strong economy in the upcoming budget.

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
04/08/2019 12:08 am  

When asked about Martin Schulz' comments on a "United States of Europe":
"I don't know what sort of pipe has been getting passed around Brussels, but whatever it is I don't think we've decriminalized it in the UK.  The EU is still a mess of democratic failings and unless those calls for integration also include real reforms to give the people of Europe real control over Brussels, actually empower the Parliament to draft its own legislation. and an end to the 'vote-until-you-get-it-right' approach to democracy, I think we should put a fork in his proposal because it's done."

Asked about the possibility of that causing the UK to leave Europe:
"We're not the one loading that gun, Schulz is.  But if the proposed treaty is as big of a mess as the current system is...that's the same one I said, and I still say, we need to fight to reform...and the Parliament is still unable to draft its own legislation then I think we'd need to start talking with other countries about forming a new bloc."

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
06/08/2019 12:52 am  

Whoever replaces Dylan Macmillan, they need to answer a simple question: do they believe that 53% of the British people are 'bleating urban elites'? The Conservatives have proposed a vision of bridge burning and division for too many years. The British people made it clear they want that politics to end, it's time for the Conservative Party to listen. 

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
06/08/2019 12:54 am  

I am overjoyed to see the British people have called for a fairer system and a new politics for Britain. The STV campaign was positive, strong and most importantly it was fun - a perfect model for our politics going forwards. This ultimately goes down to the people, but I am proud to be part of the government that fought for a fairer, more transparent and more modern form of politics and won against all odds. 

ReplyQuote
Roger Brigham
(@roger-brigham)
06/08/2019 5:11 pm  

Today I decided and announced my candidacy for Leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party. The new challenges that we are facing today obligate us to have a strong and united, because only being united this party can continue its way with hope, as we have seen in the past, a united party with strong Leadership mean a stronger Britain.

I'm running on a platform with an optimistic and clear message, appealing back the support of the British people. The columns of my project are, Defeat the Terrible Coalition by being the largest party in the next General Election, Unite the Party to mobilize again our grassroots preventing the mistakes of the last referendum campaign and Make Britain Stronger with a stable Tory Government. That's why I ask to my fellow MP's and Tories to back my candidacy to take back #OURFUTURE

Roger Brigham
MP for Richmond Park

Parliamentary: Unknown (8)
Media: Novice (22)
Policy: Unknown (6)

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
07/08/2019 5:52 pm  

Today in the House I conveyed the British consensus, delivered to us by the Citizens' Assembly I commissioned: the British people made it clear that nobody should have to pay thousands should they get dementia, whilst getting free treatment should they get cancer - this government is offering the bold solution to end that by establishing a national care service, free at the point of use. It's the sensible and humane path to take, and after years of political timidity on all sides this government will be taking it. 

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
07/08/2019 11:04 pm  

Tonight I am calling on the Prime Minister to immediately convene a meeting of COBRA in order to ensure all necessary resources and emergency services are made available to those impacted by the flash floods taking place across Britain. The Prime Minister's failure to immediately call a meeting of COBRA is deeply concerning, and is an unjustifiable break in previous Government precedent. Every second counts during an ongoing natural disaster, and the 48 hours in which the emergency services have been without proper direction and leadership from the Prime Minister has surely exacerbated this crisis. Someone needs to find the Prime Minister and ask her, please, do your job. 

William Croft
Shadow Foreign Secretary

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
07/08/2019 11:11 pm  

The Conservative Party stands ready to do whatever we can to provide assistance and relief for those impacted by the flooding seen across Britain. While we do not have the power of Government agencies behind us, we cannot and will not sit idly by while our fellow citizens suffer in the midst of this natural disaster. As I confirmed early this week, we will support the authorization of any emergency funding and other resources in order to provide immediate assistance. I have informed all of our party staff currently working at CCHQ that, if deemed appropriate by emergency personnel on the ground, that our offices will be used to house those in need of shelter and that staff will be asked to serve as clean up and assistance volunteers.

A national crisis requires national unity, and the Conservative Party will do everything in our power to help those in London and across Britain suffering from these floods. 

William Croft
Shadow Foreign Secretary

ReplyQuote
Roger De Gruchy
(@roger-de-gruchy)
MP for Chelsea and Fulham
08/08/2019 6:36 pm  

An abiding principle of conservative policy is the commitment to and promotion of regional diversity. The recently-announced coalition government for Wales is underpinned by this principle. By promoting the Welsh language, the Foreward Wales government will reinforce, protect and invigorate the traditional Welsh tongue. This is good for the Welsh people, whose storied culture and history deserves to see a new golden age, and it is good for a dynamic, multicultural, and United Kingdom.

Roger De Gruchy
Shadow Foriegn Secretary
Shadow Leader of the House
MP for Chelsea and Fulham

Parliamentary: Unknown (15)
Media: Novice (22)
Policy: Unknown (10)

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
08/08/2019 10:56 pm  

I am glad to hear that Wales has elected a new government after months of negotiation that left the government worried Wales would be in deadlock. I would also like to send my congratulations to First Minister Leanne Wood - I look forward to working with her for the betterment of Wales in the coming months. 

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
08/08/2019 11:02 pm  

The Conservatives have certainly continued their new tradition, started by Dylan Macmillan, of power over principle at every turn. It's all good to decide on Labour's referendum lock policy as a compromise to push for the betterment of the Welsh people, but after u-turning on policies you used to win over your voters you cannot tell others you will ditch your new policy as soon as it becomes convenient for you. William Croft has taken the Welsh people and the British people for fools - it's frankly offensive and I expect better from our elected politicians. 

ReplyQuote
Page 42 / 44
Share: