What does it mean for Britain?

Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence Moderator
Media Supremo

General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 9:49 pm  

The British people have voted, convincingly, to reject the broken status quo and usher in a new era of politics. They have voted for more accountable representatives, stronger links between local communities and parliament, a more collaborative and inclusive form of government at both national and local level. Now, every vote - no matter where it is, no matter what candidate or party it goes to - will matter. We have rectified a glaring injustice, and paved the way for a fairer politics. And never forget it was the Liberal Democrats who put this issue on the agenda, who put it into the mainstream, who exposed the defects of the old system.

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 9:49 pm  

I am excited to see the changes STV will bring to local government. Many councils are one party states, are covered in safe wards that mean some areas are ignored while others prosper, see election results even more distorted and with even more wasted votes than national elections. The Liberal Democrats believe in effective and accountable local government - our successful campaign for STV will help deliver that.

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 10:16 pm  

The 'No' campaign, sadly, engaged in the worst kind of negative campaigning - fearmongering about communists and fascists, creating this Project Fear about instability and extremism, saying that the millions of people with real concerns about FPTP were "bleating urban liberals" or whatever who were incapable of rational discourse, all but saying the British people were incapable of being trusted with fair and meaningful and equal votes. But the British people proved Project Fear wrong. I am happy to see some politicians who opposed STV - such as William Croft - graciously accepting defeat and accepting the will of the people. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@mhc)
10/08/2019 12:58 am  

I am so proud of the Yes campaign and the British people for giving clear support for STV in the referendum. As a country we have said yes to a fairer politics, a politics that doesn't waste votes or system that protects the political status quo. Fighting the status quo has been the driving force behind the Liberal Democrats and it has been from our leadership and drive that STV and other recent reforms have been passed at all. It is true that we entering a new era of British politics, one that is new to all of us, but I am confident that we will meet the challenge head on and deliver a new politics for our country.

Meredith Hansen-Charles
Cambridge
Secretary of State for Education
Minister for Women and Equalities

"Meredith Hansen-Charles...is a deity" - Kandler/The Times

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
11/08/2019 4:33 am  

The STV campaign was fun, engaging and inspiring - everything that politics should be that we've been sorely lacking. I am glad the British people have voted for the new politics this government has presented to them and I hope we can all carry that new politics, where we build instead of burn bridges, with us enthusiastically. 

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Sir Geoffrey Birch
(@sir-geoffrey)
MP for Bexhill & Battle
12/08/2019 8:19 pm  

The mess in which our new upper chamber now finds itself proves that opponents of an elected Senate were right to be worried for our constitution. I fear that we will be right again. As STV takes effect and shifts control of government away from the voters and into Westminster back-rooms, and prevents an electorate from removing an MP they oppose, public trust in our democratic processes will erode. That is to the detriment of us all. I hope that sense will prevail before it is too late.

Sir Geoffrey Birch | Conservative Party
MP for Bexhill & Battle (2001-present)
Former MP for Northampton South (1983-1997)
Parliamentary experience: Novice (28)
Media experience: Novice (22)
Policy experience: Unknown (12)

Formerly: Deborah Carpenter, Conservative, MP for Hertford & Stortford, Former Chancellor of the Exchequer

ReplyQuote
Share: