Administrator
Labour Party Adviser
Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence Moderator
Media Supremo

Caroline Blakesley
(@caroline-blakesley)
Prime Minister & MP for Hammersmith
08/08/2019 12:02 am  

The Prime Minister met with emergency workers and displaced persons in London during the flooding.

Government is working at all levels to ensure that all impacted by the flooding will receive the support that they require and the investments will be made to ensure compensation for lost property. The message that we have to offer is clear: government, both the central government and local authorities, will be there to support those in need. The emergency services and the armed services are coordinating, following a rapid deployment, to provide the assistance that all those in trouble need. We will recover from this crisis and we will rebuild the lives of those that have seen damage and dislocation as a result of this flooding.

The flooding that has occurred throughout London and the country reveals the work that needs to be done in improving flooding resiliency across our country. We've identified a number of issues, particularly in inner city areas, that has resulted in a greater risk of flooding and actions have been taken for local authorities to take whatever steps necessary to resolve these deficiencies. Moving forward, the deficiencies identified today made clear that there must be a statutory authority that ensures local authorities are maintaining drainage and sewers, and emergency funding when they aren't, in order to prevent flooding before it occurs. This will be addressed in forthcoming flooding legislation.

Caroline Blakesley
Prime Minister
MP for Hammersmith

Parliamentary: Unknown (13)
Media: Unknown (17)
Policy: Unknown (18)

ReplyQuote
Caroline Blakesley
(@caroline-blakesley)
Prime Minister & MP for Hammersmith
08/08/2019 12:29 am  

The Prime Minister visited Gloucestershire, where she met with emergency workers, impacted individuals, and utilities workers involved in restoring electrical power. Afterwards, she made a brief comment to the press.

I've spoken with those impacted by the electrical outages causes as a result of this flooding, as well as those working to repair it. I would like to, first, extend my thoughts to all of those impacted by this flooding. Second, I would like to extend my thanks to the workers who are so diligently working to restore electrical power across Gloucestershire. The government stands committed to working with the utilities to see the necessary repairs to the electric grid completed and restoring power to all of those that lost power as a result of these floods.

The failure of the electrical grid and loss of power throughout Gloucestershire raised issues relating to flooding resilience and responsibility to respond to natural disasters. Currently, there is no statutory responsibility to ensure that critical infrastructure is constructed in such a way as to prevent severe flooding damage. The Coastal and Inland Flooding Agency, when created, must be empowered, not just with a statutory authority to work to prevent flooding, but also to ensure resilience of our infrastructure. We must ensure that critical infrastructure, like our electrical grid, will not fail when confronted with natural disasters of this nature. The government will make the appropriate provision for that. This will not happen again.

Caroline Blakesley
Prime Minister
MP for Hammersmith

Parliamentary: Unknown (13)
Media: Unknown (17)
Policy: Unknown (18)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
08/08/2019 3:17 pm  

My first priority is to ensure that every person impacted by these floods has the financial aid, resources, and support they and their families need to weather this terrible natural disastrous. While our efforts now must be totally focused on this pursuit, it is vital we recognize the failings of this Government to act effectively and the damage their inaction has caused. This is at best a serious failure of leadership on the part of the Prime Minister, and at worse a case of Government negligence that must not go unanswered. For 48 hours the Government was paralyzed in inaction as people across The United Kingdom suffered, and that was 48 hours too long. 

The Conservative Party will continue to do everything in our power to offer the help and assistance those impacted urgently need. I have ordered CCHQ and other party offices around the country to be opened for those seeking refugee from the flooding and potential loss of their homes. I have called on the Prime Minister to immediately convene a COBRA meeting, and am relieved she finally has. I also believe it is critical that we learn more about why the Government was so slow to act, why the promised Government agency on flooding was not delivered, and what could have done to better prepare for this disastrous. The Conservative Party will be prepared to support any effort on the part of the Government to ensure the military and emergency personnel have total access to the resources they need. This is not a time for business as usual: this is a moment where we must act swiftly and confidently to protect the safety of the British people. 

On behalf of the entire Conservative Party my deepest thanks go out to the members of the armed forces, emergency personnel, and other first responders who are on the ground working to keep those effected safe. While the average person is told to run from danger, these men and women are tasked with charging into danger head on. The whole of Britain owes them a great gratitude, and I will do everything I can to ensure they get the support they need. In this time of great national crisis, let us act as one, and be there for our fellow Britons as we have so many times before. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
Brown
(@brown)
MP for Clacton
08/08/2019 7:02 pm  

The tragic flooding in London has reminded us yet again of the dangers of climate change and the need to take direct and decisive action to protect the people of the United Kingdom from its effects. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been impacted by this flooding and I can assure the people of the United Kingdom that we can and will do more to make sure that we are better prepared to respond to and prevent this sort of flooding in the future. While we can't change the past, we can change how we respond to this situation in the future. The Government must learn the painful lessons from its initial response to this incident to ensure that the effect of future disasters are mitigated and that lives and property are protected.

Ensuring that we create and follow processes to better address these crises in future is paramount. My father always taught me that a mistake is only truly a failure if we don't learn from what we did wrong so that we do not repeat the error in future. I hope that the Government will work closely in a cross-party fashion across the House to put together plans and resources to ensure that we can serve and protect our constituents better. I am confident that any such outreach would have the full cooperation of all sides of the House. 

I am most grateful to our brave men and women in the Armed Forces, the Coast Guard, and in the Emergency Services who worked bravely and tirelessly to protect lives and property. I also want to thank the countless number of people in our Great Kingdom who rose up to the task and helped their neighbours during their time of crisis and displayed the finest example of selflessness and humanity. They are an inspiration to us all.

Edwin Brown
Conservative MP for Clacton (2014-Present)
Shadow Minister for Business, Infrastructure, and Transport
Parliamentary Experience: Unknown (16)
Media Experience: Unknown (13)
Policy Experience: Unknown(6)
Extended Bio: https://tinyurl.com/y25geeqc

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
08/08/2019 7:10 pm  

Allow me to first offer my deepest condolences to the family of the man who passed away this morning as a result of the flash floods. I'm sure I speak for the whole nation when I say his family are in our prayers. 

When a national crisis like the flooding seen across Britain hits our country, all of us have a duty and a obligation to act. In my capacity as your Leader of the Opposition, that means executing upon my constitutional duty to hold the Government to account for the way in which they've handled this crisis. That is why tomorrow morning I will be tabling an Opposition Motion before Parliament calling for:

• An inquiry into why the Government's response was so delayed.
  • The establishment of the Government's promised Coastal and Inland Flooding Agency.
  • The convening of a Parliamentary committee tasked with determining why more preventative steps weren't taken and what steps should be done to prepare for floods in the future.

The immediate priority is to do everything we can to provide the aid and relief required by those hit by these flash floods, and to offer our unconditional support to the military and first responders. But if we once again allow ourselves to focus only on the short term, and ignore the reality that these floods will certainly happen again, we are doing the British people a great disservice. As the Leader of your Opposition, I refuse to allow that to happen, and I promise you I will make sure the Government does not repeat the mistakes of the past. 

William Croft
Shadow Foreign Secretary

ReplyQuote
Astrid Vincenti
(@astrid-vincenti)
08/08/2019 7:12 pm  

The serious and very real threat that climate change poses to our country and local communities could not be more apparent. Heartbreaking. The Government's commitment to creating a Coastal and Inland Flooding Agency, with the allocated funding to do so, and their £700m injection of funds into the Environment Agency, are absolutely essential parts of a wider strategy to take substantial action. I welcome these policy commitments from the Government and their deployment of troops rapidly to support communities suffering the cost of the global climate crisis. I was disappointed, though perhaps not surprised, to see so many Tory MPs speaking against the Government's environmental policies in Parliament despite all of the evidence in front of their eyes and the very real cost to families across the UK. It would seem not every party is as committed to protecting Britain's environmental security and tackling global climate change as the Labour Party.

Astrid Vincenti | Labour Co-Op | MP for Tynemouth
Policy (17), Media (12), Parliament (11)

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
08/08/2019 10:12 pm  

Climate change is a critically important issue we must address, it is the reason we are seeing increased rates of flooding, and it's why the 2015 Shadow Budget matched Government's spending the Energy and Climate Change spending down to the last pound. What is not critically important, however, is for Labour MPs to be using a crisis in which British people have literally died as an attempt to score political points against another party. Yes, we should have discussions about to address climate change more seriously. But to utilize this natural disastrous as an opportunity to slander another party is embarrassing and disgraceful. 

The Prime Minister should intrust her MPs to spend more time inquiring into why the Government's response to this crisis was so delayed and why their promises to create an agency dedicated to this went unfulfilled for two years, and less time trying to attack opposition parities. The Conservatives called for unity for the good of the nations, sadly the same can't be said for Labour.  

William Croft
Shadow Foreign Secretary

ReplyQuote
Faye Gallacher
(@faye-gallacher)
08/08/2019 11:16 pm  

I want to send my thoughts to all of those affected, my condolences to the family of the man who passed away and my thanks to the rescue workers. This government has taken the necessary steps to ensure those affected get the necessary assistance and we expect the worst to subside. 

Crucially, this incident has made it clear that there have to be legislative changes put in place to prevent a situation like this to ever happen again and that we step up our effort to tackle climate change. The government will be committed to implementing those changes. 

"[we] would rather die than leave the Labour Party." - Emily Thornberry.

ReplyQuote
Astrid Vincenti
(@astrid-vincenti)
08/08/2019 11:24 pm  

It's a step up from criticising people using Twitter on Twitter, but Mr Croft really is going to have to do better than getting tetchy about what MPs say in the press. Nobody cares what he thinks of me, we care what he thinks about climate change. He is too busy saving face to spend time actually addressing the point I was making about environment policy. That is what people care about. Labour have made it very clear how we want to tackle climate change in the immediate and longer terms and where legislation needs to brought forward, the Government is doing so. The Opposition? Your guess is as good as mine. Labour are taking the action the public need to address the climate crisis, Tory MPs are opposing it in Parliament and Mr Croft is too busy worrying about what I say to journalists.

Astrid Vincenti | Labour Co-Op | MP for Tynemouth
Policy (17), Media (12), Parliament (11)

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 1:25 am  

Graham Adiputera visited the Royal Hope Hospital in Boston:

Ensuring that hospitals have the necessary power, that patient transfers and staffing changes are in place to ease overcrowding, and that we are primed and ready to commence repairs are all priorities of this government. We are continuing to monitor the situation to ensure hospitals and A&E services face as little disruption as possible. I personally have asked in Cobra if any other hospitals are at risk of such power failures - we are optimistic no other hospitals will be affected in this way, which is of course a great help in relieving the pressures here. And, of course, the deepest gratitude must be offered to those doctors, nurses, paramedics, members of the police and fire departments, members of our military, and all those, volunteer or otherwise, who have done so much. The nation is grateful.

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 1:26 am  

Speaking in Oldham, Graham Adiputera said:

My thoughts are with all those affected by these floods, but what has been especially horrific is the tragic death of a man the authorities were tragically unable to save. We all send our utmost condolences to his loved ones. One of my primary concerns in this crisis - and, as we go forward, preparing better for future floods - is taking care of those who have disabilities or otherwise have limited mobility - perhaps due to being very young or very old or are recovering from illness. I think that's necessary to prevent more tragedies, which is why ensuring harnesses, winching equipment, rescue boats and the like get to where they're needed is such a priority. 

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 1:28 am  

Visiting affected areas in his own constituency, Graham Adiputera said:

It's awful what has happened here, and in other places across the country. Some of my neighbours, some of the local businesses I frequent, are among those affected, so I do truly understand just how terrible this is for thousands of people. With Cobra convened and the state's resources focused on helping those in need, it's never too early to start discussing both how we rebuild and how we prepare for future crises. This government is committed to - I am committed to - putting in place strong systems of compensation, increasing support for affected communities, businesses and families and ensuring better coordination of both prevention and response strategies. One shortcoming in existing policy that has been drawn to my attention is how urban areas - where drainage issues are crucial - need an update to flood protection policy especially urgently.

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
09/08/2019 1:29 am  

Speaking in Cheltenham, Graham Adiputera said:

This is a terrible event and we are doing what we can to give our emergency services the resources they need to respond and to help communities and people rebuild. Now, it is impossible to authoritatively track the source of any single weather event, but we can say that these extreme weather events will become more frequent unless we continue fighting climate change. Natural capital, too - peatlands, wetlands, natural drainage systems - must too be preserved. The government is intent on publishing a Nature Act to do just that, and we hope to work on these issues in a cross party manner.

Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
Share: