Press cycle 22 - Sh...

Press cycle 22 - Shadow Budget  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
12/06/2019 11:10 pm  

The Prime Minister's assertions are pretty much entirely dishonest, she could give her Chancellor a lesson in lying to the public. Due to the reforms we are instituting as part of our plan to merge National Insurance and Income Tax into a single streamlined tax, making the lives of every working man and woman in this country easier, we eliminated the 2% top rate of NIC. Taxpayers who earn more than £60,000 a year will be paying more tax under our plans than they will under either Labour's plan or the current tax system. We are simplifying and rebalancing the tax system so that it is fair for the working and the just about managing people in our economy, Labour are only chasing cheap gimmicks and political point scoring. Labour's increase in the personal allowance is a decent start, but it reeks of political opportunism and doesn't come close to delivering the benefits of the Shadow Budget's ambitious new plan.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (21)
Media Experience: Capable (57)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Ariadne "Ari" Suchet
(@ege)
12/06/2019 11:46 pm  

Tories are freezing Jobseekers allowance, this means those who need our help the most will lose their spending power by £46.76 (or 2%), puts them £102.86 (or 4.4%) behind pay rises for working people but Tories are giving their big business friends a 1.4 billion tax break. Poor and most vulnerable in our society suffers more under the Tory budget while the richest will be getting billions of pounds in tax cuts. This is the hypocrisy of the Tory Party, they will always be their donors and buddies but not for you. 

The Rt Hon Ariadne "Ari" Suchet MP
Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras
The Prime Minister
Leader of the Labour Party

Parliamentary: 9
Media: 28 Novice (19 base +1 Media I/ +4 Media IV /+2 for Leader's Debate/+1 for Press Cycle 11/+1 for Press Cycle 12 )
Policy: 9

"TrashPotato Today at 2:11 AM
my friend offered me a bottle of vodka and i sucked the vodka out the bottle like a baby sucking a titty"

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
13/06/2019 7:06 am  

Under the Shadow Budget, all working individuals earning between £10,000 and £56,000 see a substantial tax cut.  Under our plan, the average worker sees £800/year and those earning closer to £40,000 will see a cut approaching £1500.  Under Labour's budget, those same individuals see a cut of exactly £200.  Millions of working class families will benefit from our proposals who will not benefit under Labours.  Whether those millions will miss out because Labour intended to not give them a tax cut or because Labour couldn't be arsed to do simple arithmetic is beside the point: Under the government's proposed budget, they will not benefit in either case.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

25 Policy/14 Media/14 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Steven Andrews
(@steven-andrews)
13/06/2019 10:24 am  

I have noticed that Mr. Adiputera has decided to attack the Conservative Party for, according to him, 'breaking manifesto pledges'. This has to be the richest attack I have heard in some time:

First and foremost, as the main Opposition party, our manifesto at the last election was not taken up by the voters. If we have had a manifesto rejected by the voters, it stands to reason that we would work to figure out why it was rejected...and then we would change course accordingly. Mr. Adipuerta may not like how we change course, but it is our right and our duty to work out a new course.

Second, let us talk about the party whose manifesto was taken up by the voters: Labour. Labour won the last election. Then the Liberal Democrats went into coalition with Labour, and as a result the Reform Bill threw out numerous Labour pledges regarding referendums on Constitutional reform and devolution at the Liberal Democrats' behest.

Graham Adipuerta is a rank hypocrite who clearly believes that parties' manifesto pledges should only be upheld when he isn't the one trying to get them to break them. If he cared about parties upholding their manifestoes, he would have called Labour out months ago for failing to uphold theirs while in government. Instead he is taking cheap, disingenuous shots at the opposition for failing to do that which he has pushed the government to do.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

25 Policy/14 Media/14 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
13/06/2019 10:28 am  

The best way to get people out of poverty is to get them into work, the best way to get them into work is to allow business to flourish, the best way to get business to flourish is to follow the Conservative Party's Shadow Budget plan. Whilst Labour are putting our recovery at risk with major tax hikes on lenders, investors, and business the Conservatives are putting the needs of business second, right behind the needs of the average worker. Getting people out of poverty, off benefits, and into work is the single most important thrust of our budget which is why we're cutting taxes for the in-work poor and generating business confidence and investment with our Corporation Tax regime.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (21)
Media Experience: Capable (57)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
13/06/2019 3:19 pm  

Couple of technical things first:

1. Bold your taglines. I'll let it slide this time, but moving forward, I'll likely be less inclined to be nice.
  2. Remember - the press doesn't want a long statement. You need to be quick and snippy, while getting your point across.

Now, to the point: this is a narrow Tory win on this. But let me stress: it's narrow. It's narrow because the junior coalition partners, the Liberal Democrats, do a good job of pointing out differences in the shadow budget from the Tory manifesto. Labour lands a few attacks - Calvin Ward and Anthony Wilson stand out in particular, which is surprising because they overshadow their own leader on this issue. 

A note - quality is always better than quantity. The Tories win on quantity and on quality. But the LibDems made this a close fight - and they almost swung the momentum. More efforts like this will help mute the Tory press effectiveness.

+1 Media to Macmillan, Wilson, Ward and Adiputera

Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian AV

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: