{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}

Police and Crime Commissioners (Elections) Act 2016  

RSS

Eleanor Nerina
(@eleanor-nerina)
07/07/2019 9:26 pm  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zMMrbC2KRKdr1CKXpSB_OZ__rKWk0T_8rhlbPGqqCyc

Mr Speaker,

This Bill is a simple one, and precedes and allows a more substantive debate that I will bring forward to the House soon.

Police and Crime Commissioners were a noble idea, Mr Speaker, and I support fully the principle of proper accountability of local policing. However, it is quite clear that they are not working. They were elected by a tiny proportion of the population, have in some cases demonstrated staggering largesse, and have not brought about a material improvement in the democratic or technocratic accountability of our police forces.

It is right we consider carefully how to make the accountability of our police work better, but in the meantime I think it would be inappropriate for us to hold and spend funds on elections for a new round of Police and Crime Commissioners. That does not mean that we are ruling out further elections in the future as part of a reformed system. However, holding elections this year and encouraging people to vote would - even if we replicated the 2012 elections and their dismal turnout - cost £75 million. I would rather spend that on frontline policing than on a set of elections the people clearly do not want, for a system the government has made very clear its intention to reform.

This Bill would delay the planned elections by a year, a delay we would be able to extend by up to November next year if necessary - up to the point at which the existing Commissioners would have been in place for five years. That delay will give sufficient time to bring forward new proposals and for this House to consider them in the appropriate time and way, while not prejudging what that debate and what our review of the system might suggest as an alternative. I hope the House will consider this a common sense approach, and I commend this Bill to the House.

Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department
Labour MP for Brent North (2005 - )

Meredith Hansen-Charles
(@mhc)
08/07/2019 10:07 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I beg this bill be read a second time.

Meredith Hansen-Charles
Cambridge
Secretary of State for Education
Minister for Women and Equalities

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire
10/07/2019 12:49 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I welcome the spirit of this legislation, it is sound policy to review any new institution after a period of time to ensure that it is fit for purpose and I would like to thank the Secretary of State for her action to attempt to ensure that this Government actually engages in good governance for a change. It makes me genuinely glad to see that the Government are attempting to move passed the "clerical errors" of previous budgets and legislation in favour of review and results-based policy prescription. With that in mind the Conservative Party shall support this bill.

That being said the Right Honourable Lady declared her desire to reform the system, she has my support in looking into that course of action as well. The Police and Crime Commissioners are on paper an excellent idea to drive up community involvement in the police and police accountability to the public, in my own constituency the PCC recently held a public referendum on the issue of a Council Tax hike for more police funding showing how effective PCCs can be when they are being properly utilised. I would urge the Right Honourable Lady not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, it is essential that we ensure that the spirit, intentions, and aims of the Police and Crime Commissioners are maintained even if we decide to change the execution after this review. I hope the Right Honourable Lady will see the wisdom in this viewpoint and will work with the Conservative Party to ensure the police are accountable to the public they serve and that the public are engaged with the police who protect them.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Eleanor Nerina
(@eleanor-nerina)
12/07/2019 3:19 pm  

Mr Speaker,

I fully agree with the Leader of the Opposition that improving the public accountability of our police is a thoroughly important objective, and I assure him that as we undertake this review and publish proposals we will have that aim at the forefront of our mind and I am happy to engage him and the Shadow Home Secretary on those areas.

Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Home Department
Labour MP for Brent North (2005 - )

ReplyQuote
Share: