Page 4 / 4
  RSS

Josh
 Josh
(@michael-kirton)
Canadian AV A-team
10/07/2019 6:11 pm  

Speaker John Bercow resigns, returning to backbench

After seven years as Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow announced today that he will be stepping down. In an unusual move, Bercow will return to the backbenches and leave the Commons at the next election. In a first for some time, Bercow will not join the House of Lords upon his exit from the Commons.

In a statement issued a few moments ago, Bercow expressed his gratitude to MPs of all stripes.

"For seven years, I have had the high honour to serve as Speaker," Bercow said. "As I reflect on my time in office, I believe the time is right for a new speaker to guide the Commons. I remain, now as ever, committed to service and will remain in the House of Commons until the next election."

MPs of all stripes have praised Bercow for his tenure as speaker, with Conservative MP William Croft tweeting "I'd like to offer my deepest thanks to John Bercow for his exemplary service to both the House of Commons and the nation. He's a true public servant and will be sorely missed."

Attention now turns to his successor. With the government already holding a slim majority in the Commons, the parliamentary math becomes complicated. Conservative sources, however, tell the BBC that the party "looks forward to nominating a candidate for the speakership." The Commons will shortly turn its attention to the election of a successor.

Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian AV

ReplyQuote
Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
10/07/2019 8:23 pm  

Tories gain in by-elections

In six by-elections held concurrently on January 19, the Conservative Party gained two seats, one from the Liberal Democrats and one from Labour, erasing the gain that the Lib Dems received upon the defection of Alex Cardigan to their party. The results were as follows:

Darlington
LAB - 29.1%
CON - 29.1%
UKIP - 27.2%
LIB - 12.0%
GRN - 2.0%
TUSC - 0.6%

Dumfries and Galloway
CON - 39.2%
SNP - 39.1%
LAB - 9.1%
LIB - 7.2%
GRN - 2.7%
UKIP - 2.6%
SSP - 0.1%

Dunfermline and West Fife
SNP - 38.9%
LIB - 35.5%
CON - 10.2%
LAB - 8.9%
GRN - 3.7%
UKIP - 2.5%
SSP - 0.3%

Holborn and St. Pancras
LAB - 40.3%
LIB - 29.1%
CON - 19.2%
GRN - 8.7%
UKIP - 1.1%
BNP - 0.6%
CISTA - 0.5%
AWP - 0.4%
SEP - 0.1%

Tottenham
LAB - 49.6%
GRN - 16.4%
LIB - 15.5%
CON - 15.0%
UKIP - 3.4%
TUSC - 0.4%

Watford
CON - 38.1%
LIB - 37.7%
LAB - 10.7%
GRN - 6.4%
UKIP - 3.3%
TUSC - 3.2%
BNP - 0.6%

Rick the Admin - The Resident Psephologist
Admin for Cabinet, PM's Office, DPM's Office, Defence, Energy, Regions, Environment, Transport, Communities, Elections, and Advisor to Labour and the Lib Dems

ReplyQuote
Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
11/07/2019 4:55 pm  

Six civilians perish in Norwegian Escape disaster

Norwegian Cruise Lines has released the identities of the six civilians that died in the explosion on the Norwegian Escape.

Franca Alberici; Milan, Italy

Henrik Solberg; Trondheim, Norway

Bertha and Hartwin Brandle; Leipzig, Germany

Catherine and Barrett Ellsworth; Exeter, UK

Admin for Cabinet, PM's Office, DPM's Office, Defence, Energy, Regions, Environment, Transport, Communities, Elections, and Advisor to Labour and the Lib Dems

ReplyQuote
Richard
(@richard)
Member A-team
18/07/2019 2:52 pm  

Electoral Commission announces Cornish Assembly seats

The Electoral Commission today announced the seats in the new Cornish Assembly. Comprising a total of 30 seats, 15 seats will be elected via First Past the Post and 15 seats will be elected in three regions.

The First Past the Post seats are: Bodmin and Blue Anchor, Camborne and Pool, Channel Coast, East Ryslegh, Falmouth, Kerrier, Launceston and Stratton, Liskeard and St Cleer, Newquay and Wadebridge, Penzance, Probus and Carland, Redruth, St Austell, St Ives, and Truro.

The three electoral regions are South West Cornwall, Mid Cornwall, and North East Cornwall. South West Cornwall comprises the seats of Camborne and Pool, Falmouth, Kerrier, Penzance, and St Ives. Mid Cornwall comprises Bodmin and Blue Anchor, Probus and Carland, Redruth, St Austell, and Truro. North East Cornwall comprises Channel Coast, East Ryslegh, Launceston and Stratton, Liskeard and St Cleer, and Newquay and Wadebridge.

Based on the 2014 General Election results by ward shared by the Electoral Commission, the results would be: 13 Liberal Democrat seats, 12 Conservative seats, 3 UKIP seats, and 2 Labour seats.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: