The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 573 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 573 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $can_access_moderationqueue - Line: 749 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 749 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 889 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 889 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 889 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 889 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 34 - File: global.php(956) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(956) : eval()'d code 34 errorHandler->error
/global.php 956 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 1021 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 1021 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 5196 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5196 errorHandler->error
/global.php 1021 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1449 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1449 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1404 fetch_forum_permissions
/printthread.php 76 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Politics UK: Culloden
General Press Cycle - Printable Version

+- Politics UK: Culloden (https://politicsuk.net/culloden)
+-- Forum: Fleet Street (https://politicsuk.net/culloden/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Press Cycles (https://politicsuk.net/culloden/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: General Press Cycle (/thread-96.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: General Press Cycle - Victor Wolfe - 11-21-2020

I'm honoured and privileged to introduce legislation that would give HM Treasury, the Bank of England, and financial services regulators the ability- and duty- to begin working on promoting financial inclusion in the UK. Too many people are left out of our financial system for various reasons, and making sure they have the right to participate in our economy, that they have the ability to save and access credit, is a way to help improve lives of many. It's not the only answer, but this is an important first step that this Government will absolutely build on. When we make it easier for everyone to participate in our economy, we can only improve the lives of those who are looking for and striving for more. Policies like these will help single-parent households. Low-income families. Recent immigrants. Those with an inability to access affordable credit. I look forward to bringing our regulatory decisions to the Parliament, but more importantly helping to expand access to banking and financial education for those that need it.

RE: General Press Cycle - John Shade - 11-21-2020

When I heard the news that Rook had kicked a pigeon I thought it was an overblown report from a nature program. I did not think it was the Education Secretary. I thought I’d do a little parody: 

Oompa loompa doompety doo
What did that pigeon do to you?
Oompa Loompa doompety dee
You should not kill an animal unless you eat it for tea
The Tories don't care
For they find fox hunting fair.
The Lib Dems have joined them in a new found passion
Dr Viv believes that kicking pigeons is the new fashion!

RE: General Press Cycle - Scott Webster - 11-21-2020

The Welsh Language is a integral part of the culture of Wales and should be given the same legal status as English. Welsh is still a commonly spoken language in Wales and court proceedings and government documents should be allowed to be spoken in Welsh. For people who don't speak English or have a better grasp of Welsh than English. Welsh is a commonly used language in Wales especially in the Home. I hope that all parties will be joining me in supporting my legislation to give official status to the Welsh Language and to promote is teaching in Wales. 

RE: General Press Cycle - Ruan Preston - 11-22-2020

The Macmillan incident was an unfortunate reminder of the necessity of strong reform of the Security Services. The abuses committed under the previous Conservative government have shaken the trust of the British people in our politicians and in our Security Services to its core. That's why I have only one message to the government on their Security Service Act: the British people are watching. We need to get this right. The bill is surely a step forward, but there's improvements to be made in accountability, sanctions and a more independent watchdog. I hope the government will take its responsibility seriously not to let the British people down and accept the amendments we offered. There's a lot of work to do in this area before we've regained your trust, and we need it to be done well.

RE: General Press Cycle - Ruth Murphy - 11-22-2020

As I have said in Parliament, the Chancellor's first statement on the Green Book shows he does not understand the deep rooted problems of communities outside of the City of London and the South East. Where we need deep rooted reform, he is patting himself on the back for doodling over fundamentally flawed investment guidelines. His failure to tackle this lets down workers and businesses alike. 

But this has exposed the flawed approach not just of the Chancellor, but of his predecessor. Instead of providing a stable economy for the present and preparing Britain to be a dynamic economy in the future, the Chancellor is focused on cleaning up the mistakes this government has made in the past decade. 

RE: General Press Cycle - Griff Rhys Morrison - 11-22-2020

Today, the Labour Party launched the Welsh Language Bill as an official Opposition Day motion in the House of Commons. That will ensure this key legislation gets the debate in Parliament that it deserves.

Labour's Welsh Language Bill sets about correcting an historical wrong; that Welsh has not been recognised properly as one of the official languages of Wales. It is wholly appropriate for Welsh-speaking citizens of this country to expect that they can freely conduct themselves in their own tongue. Access to the justice system and equal treatment under the law should not be prohibited by a lack of understanding, nor restricted to only one of the two equal languages used in Wales. 

The Welsh Language Board established in this Bill will serve a vital public function to ensure that Welsh-speaking British citizens can expect fair and equal treatment. We hope that the Government will join in by supporting and voting for this important legislation.

RE: General Press Cycle - Griff Rhys Morrison - 11-23-2020

Today, I rose in the House of Commons to make a motion calling for a Parliamentary Inquiry into the death of former Tory Foreign Secretary Dylan Macmillan. Mr Macmillan is of huge public interest on the basis of national security, police integrity and transparency and it is essential that Parliament, members democratically elected to represent the public, maintain their freedom in pursuing justice in the public's interests. 

The Government of the UK has been too ridden with scandal and criminal activity and espionage over the last few years to allow them to self-evaluate their own performance. 

I urge Members of Parliament to back an inquiry to demonstrate their commitment to their constituents that they will back transparency and accountability and I strongly suspect most will do so. If you, the public, feel as passionately about this issue of transparency as I do, I hope you will write to your MP to let them know. 

I urge the Government to submit to Parliamentary oversight on this matter and make that commitment to transparency and accountability they've promised. I trust the Prime Minister will now put her money where her mouth is and back our call. 

RE: General Press Cycle - Amelia Lockhart - 11-23-2020

The Secretary of State for the Environment may be new to his position, but he’s already making it clear what kind of minister he’ll be: one who isn’t on the side of vulnerable and sick people.

The Humber Bridge tolls are a clear barrier to people accessing vital healthcare, including emergency medical treatment. This is particularly true for cancer patients who have to make numerous trips to hospital to save their life. Paying tolls can add up to a significant expense, and be unaffordable for many - especially low income individuals.

The Government claims that forcing cancer patients to choose between paying the tolls or adding 50 miles to a journey is “a very British thing”. Nothing could be further from the truth. My constituents don’t see a tax on cancer patients to be a British thing.

So I call on the Government: abolish this Humber tax on vulnerable people - and let them get access to healthcare. Standing on the side of access to medical treatment is the right thing to do.

RE: General Press Cycle - Ruth Murphy - 11-25-2020

Thanks to some rather relentless backbench campaigning, there's been a lot of discussion on the role of tolls. 

As Shadow Chancellor, I can't promise to just make one bridge or road exempt from tolls at the expense of any others, and it is absolutely vital that a sense of fiscal responsibility is maintained on these issues so that the upkeep of such bridges or tunnels. However, it is absolutely shameful that the government would still want to place a cancer tax on those who face an extra charge and more barriers so they can seek urgent medical appointments. I'll tell the government this: being ill is not a 'choice' as some have suggested. 

It costs very little to place a subsidy to have those seeking to cross bridges or tunnels in seek of medical treatment or our fantastic NHS and care workers going to work to save lives to be exempt from those charges. That will be Labour's policy, whether you're travelling the Humber Bridge, the Severn Bridge or the Dartford tunnel. I call on the government to do the same.

RE: General Press Cycle - Andrew Craven - 11-25-2020

Labour plans would create a heirachy of workers. A low paid worker outside the NHS or in private industry would pay full price while high paid consultants and doctors would get subsidised tolls. It would also create a heirachy of illness, many diseases requite a lifetime of treatment that are not cancer we should be looking at ways we can help everyone who has long term costs arising form seeking medical treatment not just resort to politicising cancer.