Drought Act 1976

(1/6) > >>

Ian:

Drought Act 1976

An Act to respond to water shortages and droughts in the United Kingdom.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1. Powers afforded to the Secretary of State for Home Affairs

(1) Four categories will be created which will allow the Secretary of State for Home Affairs to;

(a) Determine the severity of water consumption at any given time,
(b) Lay out restrictions on the consumption of water to ensure the country is adequately supplied with water.

(2) These four categories will be referred to as;

(a) Category One,
(b) Category Two,
(c) Category Three,
(d) Category A

(3) (i) If the Secretary of State for Home Affairs determines that a Category One situation applies, at the discretion of the Secretary of State for Home Affairs, the following measures will be put into effect;

(a) A ban on the use of hose-pipes, and or;
(b) A ban on the use of water for recreational activities, and or;
(c) A ban on the use of water for private gardening purposes.

(ii) It will be deemed an offence to use water in the manner introduced by the Secretary of State for Home Affairs through the implementation of Category One, and will be punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of no more than '£500' and no less than '£25'.

(4) (i) If the Secretary of State for Home Affairs determines that a Category Two situation applies, at the discretion of the Secretary of State for Home Affairs, the only permitted use of water will be for;

(a) Drinking, and or;
(b) The washing of clothes or of the body, and or;
(c) Both public and private toilets.

(ii) It will be deemed an offence to use water in a manner not permitted by the Secretary of State for Home Affairs through the implementation of Category Two, and will be punishable by a fine of no more than '£500' and no less than '£100'.

(5) (i) If the Secretary of State for Home Affairs determines that a Category Three situation applies, water shall be rationed by the relevant local water authorities.

(ii) It will be deemed an offence to 'steal' water with the implementation of Category One, and will be punishable by a fine of no more than '£1500' and no less than '£500'.

(iii) To 'steal' water is defined as the taking of water from someone or somewhere without their permission.

(6) With the implementation of Category Three, the relevant local water authorities must ensure the public have access to replenish their water needs at least once per day from a location within one mile of their home.

(7) (i) If the Secretary of State determines that a Category A situation applies, water shall be stockpiled by the relevant local water authorities.

(i) Local water authorities may ask permission from the Secretary of State to determine that a Category A situation applies within a particular water authority boundary.

(8 ) The Secretary of State for Home Affairs will be afforded the right to amend any one of the four categories providing he delivers written notice of any amendments with 48 hours of enactment.

(9) The Secretary of State for Home Affairs will be afforded the right to request the support of Her Majesty's Armed Forces in helping civilian authorities. Civilian authorities are hereby defined as including firemen, medical personnel and police officers.

2. Extra

(1) In the case that any of the four Categories are determined to be necessary by the Secretary of State for Home Affairs, the Home Secretary will be afforded the authority,

(i) To exclude specific activities from the responsibilities of this legislation,
(ii) To include specific activities in the responsibilities of this legislation

(2) Local water authorities shall be permitted to apply in writing to the Home Secretary to advise him of specific activities which can be included or excluded as referred to in section 2(1).

(3) Local water authorities shall be permitted, at the discretion of the Home Secretary, to organise the recreational use of water at local events.

3. Repeal

(1) This act shall come under Parliamentary review in six months unless in that time the Secretary of State for the Home Department feels it is no longer necessary and he repeals it.

4. Short title, commencement, application and extent

1) This act may be cited as the Drought Act 1976
2) This act shall come into force upon accession.
3) This act extends to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Robert Noble-Gordon (Con):
Aye.

Ben Walker (Con):
Aye

James McDougall (Con):
aye

David Keenan Berk (Con):
Aye

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page