Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS: Attack on Israeli Embassy
Good morning, Mr. Speaker.

I rise today to deliver my first ministerial statement to Parliament, with regard to the recent attack on the Israeli embassy in Kensington, London. When one takes on the position of Prime Minister, it is a deep and humbling responsibility. Indeed, as Prime Minister you are ultimately responsible to the people for the safety and security of the realm. It is with this in mind that, within a few days of meeting with the Queen, I had to convene a meeting of COBRA - consisting of my Deputy Prime Minister, the Secretaries of State for Defence, Foreign Affairs, and the Home Department, and myself - to react to the car bomb outside the Israeli Embassy.

Having worked firsthand with them, I can testify to the skills and aptitudes of the members of my Cabinet in these positions. They are diligent, they are skilled in their areas, and they are effective. I would also like to thank the members of our intelligence apparatus for their work to build an ever-tighter circle around the suspect, a middle-aged woman of Middle Eastern heritage.

I would like now to inform this House as to the events that unfolded on July 26th and in the immediate aftermath of the attacks. After the explosion of the car bomb, I gave the order to the Rt. Hon. Member for Stratford-on-Avon, the Defence Secretary, to raise the BIKINI level to Black. The Rt. Hon. Member for Chipping Barnet, the Home Secretary, then proceeded to ensure heightened security at Jewish synagogues, centers, and other sites consistent with the anti-Semitic, anti-Zionist efforts. 

The Home Secretary has also led efforts to apprehend the perpetrator and to prevent the escape of the responsible terrorist. At such time that the suspect is apprehended, I will order a comprehensive review of our intelligence system to ensure no such future attack goes unnoticed and that we are prepared to thwart any future attacks on British soil.

We have identified the responsible terrorists, and they have identified themselves in a Palestinian newspaper, as the Palestinian Resistance Jaffa Group - a nationalist group that opposes the existence of the State of Israel.

I have since called the Prime Minister of Israel, Yitzhak Rabin, and we will be conducting a joint investigation into the bombing and into the terrorists who conducted this heinous attack. As the bombing took place on British soil, we will be leading the domestic investigation directly under MI5 leadership. We will not stop until they are brought to justice for their attacks, and held to full account of their actions under our system of law.

To the hundreds of thousands of British Jews, I stand with you. My Government stands with you. And the United Kingdom stands with you.

In a minute, the floor of Parliament will be open for questions. I welcome this opportunity to showcase what has been done, what steps have been taken, and what can be improved in our intelligence apparatus. But I also caution members not to put the safety of our assets, the security of our civilians, or the success of our operation at risk by asking questions that would compromise our mission of keeping Britain free from terror.

Before that, however, I am reminded of a Psalm of David, the 69th Psalm. The King of Israel wrote, “Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters. [...] Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies. [...] For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in possession. The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell therein” (vv. 14; 18; 35-36).

In times such as this, we should turn to the words of the Psalmists to strengthen our resolve for justice.
Lewis Graves
Conservative MP for Salisbury (1983-present)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1994-present)
Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1994)
(Recks)
Mr. Speaker,

I entirely agree with the remarks made by the Prime Minister on this occasion, and share his, and the Government's, desire to secure our country from further outrages, as well as our support for Britons of the Jewish faith, and for Israel.
Max Power, Labour
MP for Oxford East (1987-present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (1994-present)
I thank the Minister for his statement, the House will now consider other business.