Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Press Cycle
General topics can be discussed here if there is no press cycle for an event.

BOLD YOUR TAGLINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread will be marked regularly. A "mark" post will be placed at random intervals with no prior warning to indicate that any content before that post will be marked.
Statement on the Economy from Laura Delaney, Member for Stratford-on-Avon:

"The news this quarter that Britain's economy has grown by a full one percent at the same time that unemployment has fallen to its lowest rate in several years is welcome indeed, and is clear evidence that Conservative policies are working. Rejecting the policies of Labour, we have slashed taxes and reformed our monetary policy with a recognition that the best people to decide how to spend Britain's money are the people of Britain themselves, not faceless Whitehall mandarins. This latest news marks the one year anniversary of our emergence from a recession brought on by wider, global economic trends and represents the payoff for our willingness to stay the course and enact our core Conservative values.

Looking forward, it must be full-steam ahead, and we must continue to support the Chancellor's call for lower rates of taxation. A Conservative government will ensure the money you earn stays in your pocket--not the coffers of the Exchequer, and we will continue to be a good shepherd of the economy. My congratulations to Mr Clarke on the news of this economic course paying dividends for the British taxpayer."
Rt Hon Laura Delaney MP
Secretary of State for Defence (1994-)

Secretary of State for the Union (1994-)
Member for Stratford-on-Avon (1983-)
With the Conservative leadership contest coming up, Dr. Macmillan has already promised to once again raise VAT again. In 92, the Tory government said, “no need, no plans, and no proposals to raise or expand the scope of VAT. That was a lie. Now they are coming at the people again. The government on one hand tout their economic record, but at the same time will tax the middle and lower classes the hardest.
With Labour already attacking Conservatives for the proposed u-turns by Dylan Macmillan, it is more important now than ever that we embrace our true values and keep fighting for a government that cuts taxes, reduces waste and bureaucracy, and encourage economic growth. Labour, having been out of power for a decade-and-a-half by now, is a party without ideas and without the ability to implement policy. They may attack us for our bold, pro-British agenda, but I will never give them ammunition to attack us for u-turning on the successes of the past 15 years.
Lewis Graves
Conservative MP for Salisbury (1983-present)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1994-present)
Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1994)
(Recks)
I am delighted to congratulate Mr Lewis Graves on his election to the leadership of the Conservative Party. Mr Graves was not my choice for the role, but he has secured the overwhelming backing of the party at large and deserves the full support of all MPs. I am excited to see him take up the mantle as he ascends to the office of Prime Minister, and am confident that his successful stewardship of a growing, ever-more open economy and a free, ever-more open society will deliver for the Conservatives a fifth consecutive election victory in 1997.

Whether asked to serve again in Cabinet or asked to serve the country from the backbenches, I will continue to fight hard for the ambitious, real reforms that our country badly needs. In my short-lived leadership campaign I set out a plan for education which would see all schools given the opportunity to covert to grant-maintained status, which would expand the assisted places scheme ad which would invest to an unprecedented degree in apprenticeships; I set out a plan for healthcare which would deliver a patient-centred healthcare system, dynamising the provider sector. Those are proposals which I continue to believe in, and will continue to advocate.

Now that the leadership election is behind us, it is time to get back to business and back to work: this new Government has a lot to achieve, and must set out with a single-minded determination to achieve it.
Rt Hon. Sir James Whitelaw Bt QC MP
Member of Parliament for Witney 1983-Present

Secretary of State for Trade & Industry 1990-1992
Minister of State for Europe 1987-1990
Now that the Conservative Leadership campaign has concluded, let us consider what that party offers to the people of the United Kingdom: A "doubling down" on Thatcherism. While we in Labour have various concerns with such a prospect, one area I will focus on concerns taxation. Both Conservative leadership contenders have boasted of their commitment to "low tax." But the question arises, "low tax for whom?" Certainly, they cannot claim that they want low taxes for the low earners, as Conservative governments have drastically raised the Value Added Tax and may raise it some more. That naturally impacts those who have less discretionary income and must spend what they make for the necessities of life.And then consider the abortive attempt to impose a poll tax on every single person; the same amount of tax payable regardless of wealth. That means that the Lord in his massive Georgian palace pays the same as the maid in the kitchen or the mechanic in the garage. The Labour Party will stand on this principle: if we are to have lower taxes, let us lower them on those who can least afford them.
Max Power, Labour
MP for Oxford East (1987-present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (1994-present)
The conservatives have encouraged the vicious circle of economic failure, unemployment, more taxes to as a result of their failures,
The conservatives have become a mouth piece for Unfair taxation

the Conservatives dogma privatises prisons and takes police off the beat to sit at desks filling in forms, they only offer costly and unnecessary committees and privatisations that appear to benefit only firms with strong Tory connections,

. What we have seen over these last 15 years is nothing less than the systematic degradation of our public services in the narrowest of Conservative private interests. Unjustifiable privilege, unwarranted patronage and quango after quango, ever-increasing abuse of power. it is time to call a halt to the sliding scale of Tory morality in politics. You know what I mean. The Torys lied in 1993 right before the election making promises of decreasing taxes, so you could imagine my surprise when i heard they where planning on increasing the VAT on the electric and gas bills. From my perspective it would certainly seem like the Conservatives have a vendatta against the hard working Britons that work tirelessly to provide for their families only to have have their wallets empty before they even think of getting a whiskey and however they justify expanding these taxes, if they had put any thought into this, they would have realised that taxing heavily after a recession would not only be unwise ,it would be catastrophic to the everyday citizens they claim to care about. I think it's high time the Conservatives where brought back to reality and be reminded that not every one has trust funds to fall back on.Labour will re-write these tax rules. The Tory's are enemies of opportunity in our country
I was surprised to hear of media reports that I had been 'vetted' to succeed Mr Heseltine as Deputy Prime Minister.

I can confirm that I have had some discussions with the Prime Minister, and that those discussions have surrounded a prospective Cabinet appointment, but I cannot divulge the content of those conversations. It is for Mr Graves - and him alone - to appoint his Government team, and I would be happy to serve in whatever capacity asked of me. I do not believe any firm decisions have been made as yet.
Rt Hon. Sir James Whitelaw Bt QC MP
Member of Parliament for Witney 1983-Present

Secretary of State for Trade & Industry 1990-1992
Minister of State for Europe 1987-1990
It is a great privilege to have been elected to serve as the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. I was honored by an audience with Her Majesty, the Queen earlier today, and have since released my cabinet. I am proud that this Conservative government, my government, will be one with extensive experience and expertise in the fields of government: ready to govern from day one. From my Deputy Prime Minister, Sir James Whitelaw, to Dame Elizabeth Cabot as First Secretary of State and at the FCO, we have a great team representative of our party at the helm of government.

I am also proud to announce that we will be setting a couple of firsts, with Dame Elizabeth and Laura Delaney at Defence both being the first ever women to hold their respective offices.
Lewis Graves
Conservative MP for Salisbury (1983-present)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1994-present)
Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1994)
(Recks)
I am tremendously honoured and thankful to the Prime Minister for his having asked me to serve as Secretary of State for Transport, Energy, and the Environment. I look forward to carrying on the necessary reforms of our rail system, as we move to create a truly world-class, twenty-first century rail travel system.
[Image: Reigate-Sig.png]
Secretary of State for Transport, Energy, and the Environment