Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle 10: Anglo-Argentine Relations
As a Navy man, I've learned not to rush to judgments--which is why I've kept silent on this issue for awhile. I assumed that the Government must have been acting to address an immediate threat or concern and would notify the House promptly as to what that issue was or, if it was sensitive in nature, that the opposition would be informed through the usual channels on Privy Terms. I've waited and waited to see the reason why this move was necessary. Countless members of the Opposition have pushed the Government to explain exactly what happened and why--and yet we are met with no answers, only bluster.

In the absence of suitable reasoning and with active resistance from the Government to provide any meaningful information, I am forced to conclude that this action at best was a rash decision and, at worst, was a political stunt. We must strongly support and protect the Falklands, but sending a large naval presence there for no serious reason only serves to escalate tensions in the region which only harms the people of the Falklands. If the Government had a good reason to send those ships, it must end its stonewalling and be fully transparent with the House and the people of the United Kingdom about why so that we can recognize and address and assess these threats in future.
Closed
I don't have an outstanding quote to pull out, but Labour's questioning over government consultation of the Clinton administration is a very good one. Presents the opposition as the adults in the room, taking the argument on a very effective sidestreet. I'm giving xp to Gorge Brown for, "In the absence of suitable reasoning and with active resistance from the Government to provide any meaningful information, I am forced to conclude that this action at best was a rash decision and, at worst, was a political stunt". 

The Lib Dems looked decent as well.

The Tory absence makes this an opposition win.

"As someone who cherishes our special relationship with the United States, and who recognizes that we needed their help to win the Falklands War..." - every part of me wants to die.