Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle 16 - The Minimum Wage
Does the UK need a minimum wage?

Deadline is 23:59 on the 19th of October
Labour is very pleased to see cross-party, front-bench support for instituting a minimum wage, specifically from the Secretary of State for Defense and the former Home Secretary. It is a shame that the Prime Minister does not have the same interest in lifting up the working class. But Labour, from top to bottom, believes in making work really pay. We do not want people to languish in poverty if they are willing to work. It is far better for our society if people work than if they are idle and collect welfare benefits. Labour would put people to work.
Max Power, Labour
MP for Oxford East (1987-present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (1994-present)
While I have concerns that a minimum wage must not be set too high as to damage jobs, I am not opposed to it in principle. 

I believe in an honest day's pay for an honest day's work and want to see everyone get reasonable rewards for their efforts.

Furthermore, I think that a reasonable wage level will be helpful in encouraging some people into work and that it will prevent welfare having to subsidize employers that pay miserly wages.

I look forward to debating this further in Parliament.
---
Mrs. Margo Leadbetter
Home Secretary and Secretary of State for DEFRA
Conservative MP for Surbiton
The minimum wage will be one of Labour's flagship policies going into the election and we're proud of that fact. There are lots of economic and logistical cases to be made for the minimum wage, but we must be clear that the main driving force behind the minimum wage is that it is the right thing to do. In the Tories' broken Britain, we hear tales of working people getting paid just £1 an hour for the hard work they're doing. That is unacceptable and must be stomped out with the full force of the law.
Labour - Liverpool Riverside.
Shadow Chancellor
Quite Simply, Yes.

A minimum wage would guarantee workers rights and hopefully make sure working families are above the poverty line, a minimum wage in the future would hopefully increase as well.

Some workers are earning very little money and hopefully this could change that and in the future, no workers rights shall be abused and all workers can live in prosperity while getting a fair deal at work and not being taken advantage of by employers.
Nathon Cowley
Labour MP for Liverpool West Derby (1992-)
Labour Chief Whip (1995-)
Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and the Environment (1995-)
Of course it does! This is a question of human dignity: when you work, you deserve to be paid a fair price for your efforts that is enough to support your family. Nobody who works deserves to see themselves and their family struggle to make ends meet, and it's a far too common occurrence in the broken society Margaret Thatcher left us with. That's why we need a minimum wage.
Emily Greenwood MP | Labour MP for Workington (1992-present)
Shadow SoS for Education and Employment, Health and Social Security (1994-present)
Alongside the benefits of the minimum wage - both economic and moral - as Chancellor I think it's absolutely crucial we address some of the potential costs. 

The Conservatives - except the ones who came out in support of a minimum wage in Cabinet before being silenced by their Prime Minister anyway - will inevitably fearmonger and say that the minimum wage will cost jobs and livelihoods. But studies have consistently shown that as long as a minimum wage is moderate and well regulated, it will have minimal impact: meaning it will strengthen existing jobs, not have them lost. We must ignore scare stories and address the positive evidence. 

A Labour government will champion the minimum wage and ensure it can be strengthened over time to address poverty, but it will also ensure we consult with businesses and economists to ensure the minimum wage is well tempered so that it does not cost jobs. That is my promise as Shadow Chancellor.
Labour - Liverpool Riverside.
Shadow Chancellor
The minimum wage is yet another Labour-proposed price control which certainly brings back memories of the dire economic straits that Labour governments created, and that Conservatives have fought tirelessly over the past decade-and-a-half to end. I am all for higher wages, but the way we do that is by investing in the future: like our Conservative budget has done; and then getting out of the way of small business: as this Government continues to do. The market can be a dynamic force for good in our society. To that end, I would rather see a dynamic economy that promotes hard work than a static one where the hands of innovators and entrepreneurs are tied behind their backs. After all, the last thing we need as a nation is unemployment caused by government sticking its nose in where it isn't needed.
Lewis Graves
Conservative MP for Salisbury (1983-present)
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (1994-present)
Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1994)
(Recks)
No surprise, this is a Labour win. Didn't see any opposition to it until Graves slamed it. The government would be wise to use rescources to go after high profile policy like this. XP to Edwards and Graves.