Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle 18 - The IRA
I want to express my condolences to those who have lost loved ones in this senseless crime and I hope others affected have a speedy recovery. I also want to send my gratitude to the emergency services, who as always show courage and determination - they are the best of Britain.

But the best of Britain cannot mask over the worst of humanity we saw today. Twelve lives were lost. That's twelve grieving families, twelve dreams, hopes, plans and aspirations all gone in a split second. It is a tragedy beyond comprehension, and it only serves to let us know that there is no justification for terrorism. No ideology, idea or cause is worth a single innocent life - let alone twelve. 

We must stand firm in our resolve for peace while the terrorists strive for war. But we must also make it known that in a strong democracy such as Britain's, there is no political room for violence. I stand firm with the government and send my solidarity to them as we try to make sense of this brutal attack.
Labour - Liverpool Riverside.
Shadow Chancellor
My deepest sympathies go out to the 12 innocent lives who were slain in this horrific attack. This was a clear and direct attack against our government and our people - both breaking the ceasefire and lashing out at the prospects of peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland. We cannot allow terrorists to call the shots, and in light of this tragic incident I stress that weapons decommissioning must be essential component in the peace-process. Removing this threat would establish greater trust and understanding in negotiations and advance our goal of a lasting peace in Northern Ireland. Anything less runs the risk of more senseless acts of violence.
Prime Minister John Kenneth Masters, MP for Torbay
This terror attack was a grim reminder that peace is fragile, and progress is not guaranteed. While I am grateful that Mr. Sackville-Bagg is recovering from his injuries, I share the sorrow of millions of Britons at the senseless deaths of twelve other individuals. The IRA has to learn that it will never gain an advantage through terrorism! Britain will always be ready to work with unionists and nationalists for peace in Northern Ireland, and we value our relationship with the Republic of Ireland as well. As others have stated, we will not react to this attack in a spirit of vengeance, but of firmness. We will help all people of goodwill in Northern Ireland move forward, while pursuing the criminal leadership of the Irish Republican Army so that they will face justice.
Max Power, Labour
MP for Oxford East (1987-present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (1994-present)
The attack on the Home Office was a callous and barbaric attack on our way of life. My thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost their lives , their families and those who have been affected by this callous act.

When there are those who try to intimidate us, we will not be intimidated. When they try to change our country or our way of life by these methods, we will not be changed.
Sir Harold Saxon MP

Acting Prime Minister

Chancellor of the Exchequer (1994 - )
MP for Aylesbury
This is the sort of press cycle where it's hard to "win" but you can certainly shoot yourself in the foot and "lose" tremendously if one is seen to be taking advantage of a tragedy to score political points or to forward a political agenda. Fortunately, all but one of you managed to avoid that, and several of you got out some really good quotes that make their way on the front pages (or at least near the front page) of your local/regional rags and may have even gotten a nod in the national media.

The highlight of this cycle was the dramatic statement by Frederick Sackville-Bagg who delivered a statement that was both moving and instrumental in helping to ensure that level heads won the day in the Government--and in public sentiment at large. Mr. Sackville-Bagg's speech endears him to the House and the people of the UK--and thus he gets 1 XP.

Another excellent speech was offered by Dayton Highland who had many quotable quotes in his speech which served as a clarion call against rash action. It's always hard to put together a speech that powerfully proclaims the need to act deliberately and make it a call to action to not act quickly--but this speech does it and he gets 1 XP.

The only speech that didn't go down well in the media was that of Philipp Coburg and while his speech received significant media attention, virtually all of it was negative and the bits that were positive were from the sorts of sources that you don't want to have positive responses to your comments. Also, the optics of trying to promote yourself in a speech when one of your colleagues was nearly killed aren't good.

Given the topic of this presser, there isn't a party win here and positive and negative views come down to individuals. All participants other than Mr. Coburg had their remarks get positive press which can only be a good thing at home.