Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Cycle 26 - Russia / Chechnya
Is what it says on the tin.
Today’s atrocious attack in Russia marks a disturbing escalation in the acts of terror that are being waged against that state and its people. Terrorism has no place in modern society and this act, as well as those that have gone before it, are to be condemned outright. We extend our deepest sympathy to the Russian people for the appalling loss of life and injury that this attack has caused.

In light of the fact that the bomb used contained radiological elements, the government is reviewing our own security procedures as a matter of urgency. We have no evidence of a major threat to the United Kingdom at this time, but the use of such devices by terrorist organizations is a major concern and something that the world community must work to prevent.
---
Mrs. Margo Leadbetter
Home Secretary and Secretary of State for DEFRA
Conservative MP for Surbiton
Quote:London - Foreign Affairs Secretary and Minister of Defence William Harris strongly condemned the latest terror attack in Moscow in a brief statement to the press. The 35 story Gazprom building in central Moscow was hit by a suspected bomb, which Russian authorities believe was a radiological dispersal device or "dirty bomb". As many as 1,000 people may have been killed with untold numbers wounded.

"I think I speak for the entire British nation when I say we are grieving and mourning with the citizens of the Russian Federation this morning. The British Government condemns this attack in the strongest terms - [it is not only an act of terror against Russia, but against all of civilisation. The use of an explosive device on a civilian target far away from any battlefield is atrocious itself, the use of a 'dirty bomb' to spread maximum panic makes this attack unparalleled in the annals of history - it is truly a crime against all of humanity," stated Harris.

Harris went on to explain, "The Government is looking at a number of options in the aftermath of the attacks, both here at home and abroad. For now, I would direct you to the statement earlier of my colleague, Home Secretary Leadbetter. I can also say that all British military installations have increased their alert levels. Furthermore, I have directed British intelligence agencies to provide assistance to the Russian Federation. More information about the Government's response will be announced once available."

"We will also be speaking not only to the Russian Government, but to the governments of our allies and partners in the region to see what assistance, if any, the Russian Federation requires for rescue and recovery operations," said Harris. "I am sure these discussions will produce further action by the Government and we will make the appropriate statements to the public once more information is available to share."
Rt. Hon. William A. Harris
MP for Birmingham Hall Green
Conservative and Unionist Party
SOS for Defence 
SOS for Foreign Affairs and Commonwealth Office
I said it when it happened here in Britain, and it applies across the world: no idea, ideology or cause is worth a single innocent death. Nevermind ten. Or one hundred. Or, devastatingly in this case, one thousand. With their actions, Al-Muharirun have proven themselves to be worthy of the utmost contempt. I send my thoughts and condolences to the Russian government and people. Proscribing Al-Muharirun a terrorist organisation is a crucial first step, and this government must take an unflinching approach against terrorism and work with our allies and with the Russian government to ensure justice is delivered.
Labour - Liverpool Riverside.
Shadow Chancellor
The time has come for the civilized world to stand with Russia and work to extirpate the scourge of terrorism from the earth. Recognizing what a grave step this is, I am calling for our government to work with our allies to support Russia militarily against terrorism, for an attack against Moscow can easily be repeated in London or Washington. Let us stand shoulder to shoulder with Russia in her time of need.
Max Power, Labour
MP for Oxford East (1987-present)
Shadow Foreign Secretary (1994-present)
Closed