Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS: Early Intervention Audit
Mr Speaker, 

I rise today to give notice regarding a spending audit to be completed prior to the next budget. This will be lead by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

This audit will consider how the principles of early intervention are applied. This government is committed to ensuring that problems are tackled before they arise, or as early as possible. Public investment must be as much about prevention, as it is about cures. This is the prudent approach, saving taxpayers money in the long run and helping everyone have the chance to succeed.

The audit will emphasise the capacity of departments to work together, both in Whitehall and around the country,to deliver change. It is clear the main challenges facing Britain - poverty, health inequality, social exclusion, and homelessness - cross departments and so must the preventative response. 

The results of the audit will be announced in the budget.
Amelia Lockhart
Labour
MP for Hull North (2001 - )
Secretary of State for Economic Security and Local Growth (2020 - )

Traits: media darling, backbench favourite, finite resources 
Mr. Speaker,

I appreciate the Rt. Hon. Gentleman for informing this house about his intention to conduct a spending audit into early intervention. I believe that both sides of this house can agree that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Can the Rt. Hon. Gentleman clarify which public services will be included in his audit, and what other parameters he has set forth for the Chief Secretary to the Treasury to follow?

In addition, can the Rt. Hon. Chancellor speak to whether his audit will result in a request for greater funding, and if so how he intends to pay for these investments? Or will it simply be a call for different parts of Whitehall to get along better in coordinating responses?
Owain Pugh MP
Plaid Cymru for Dwyfor Meirionnydd
Campaigning Guru/Fundraising Extraordinaire/Media Darling/Maverick
Mr Speaker,

We can all appreciate that prevention is better than the cure. Such an observation is central to the notion of evidence-based policymaking that my party so ardently believes in.

I do want further clarity on what sort of measures will be included within this audit, of course. So I repeat the questions put forward by the Shadow Chancellor, but highlight some specific issues that I think are pertinent to this audit's remit. Will it encompass air quality, environmental pollution, mental health, inequalities stemming from race and gender and sexual orientation, addiction rehabilitation, and the role of youth services in promoting exercise and preventing crime?
Grant Smith
Liberal Democrat MP for Leeds North West (2005-present)

Media Unknown, Constituency Appeal, Campaign Organiser, Fundraiser Extraordinaire 
Previously: Sir Lachlan Domnhall Coinneach Duncan MacMahon; Graham Adiputera; I think I played some dull Labour bloke at one point
Mr Speaker,

I thank the Honourable Gentlemen opposite for words on the importance of early intervention. I am glad they both recognise that the benefits of early intervention, both for users of public services and for taxpayers as a whole, are so significant. I hope this can be the beginning of cross-party consensus on the issue.

To answer the question on the scope of the audit, I expect every department and every public service be covered. As the leader of the Liberal Democrats hints with his excellent list, no department should be left out because otherwise we would miss opportunities to create better public services for all. I appreciate for the Department for the Nations, Regions and the Constitution, this may be more difficult but many of the policy changes announced as a result of the audit will have an impact on the funding for devolved administrations.

Mr Speaker, on the specific question by the Shadow Chancellor on funding requests: we will be making some funding available for new programmes. Some of it will be used to encourage and support the coordinating responses he references. We will ensure that this funding will not come at the expense of additional funding for current programmes. Further details, as the Shadow Chancellor no doubt expects, will be announced with the budget.
Amelia Lockhart
Labour
MP for Hull North (2001 - )
Secretary of State for Economic Security and Local Growth (2020 - )

Traits: media darling, backbench favourite, finite resources 
I thank the Minister for his time, the House shall consider other issues now.
This was a very simple Ministerial Statement announcing the Government's vision. People think it's nice that the government is getting proactive in the economy even if the economic news has rather moved on in the last couple of days xD. Good questions were asked by the opposition figures and the response by Lockhart makes him look good personally again. No winner here, everyone gets an XP point (except Dunk who doesn't get them Sad )