Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campaigning
Costs
Leaflet - 100
Billboard - 200
Speech - 200
Canvass/Mainstreet - 300
High Profile Event - 400 (1 per campaign, chosen by party leader)
Free event (Day One) - mainstreeting

Elaine Ashbury went mainstreeting with local candidate Maurice Golden in Glenrothes. She focused on the following topics:
  • Scotland: "Our belief in a side-by-side society also means a side-by-side union. As I said, there is no one-size-fits-all Britain, and that's a good thing. While Scotland faces many of the same challenges as the rest of the UK - the economic recession, the threat of climate change and public services in need to reform - these problems differ across the country in the approach needed and Scotland is no different. Now that the Scottish Parliament's here, we need it to do the things it does right, and we believe it's only right that we enable the Scottish Parliament to take that leadership. That is why I'm proud that unlike Labour's budget, our Shadow Budget would have increased Scottish funding on par with that of other parts of our United Kingdom."
  • Climate change: "Frankly, I wouldn't blame you if you were disillusioned by Labour's latest climate change 'policy'. They have announced a target of 35% renewable energy, without steps to meet it and proclaimed it as the next great step. Compare that ineffective spin-as-policy approach to the Conservative plan to empower local communities and families to band together to tackle climate change. With our Green Enterprise Zones and Green Deals that help you pay for insulating your home or generating your own energy, we're not just taking the concrete steps Labour lacks - we're helping everyone take concrete steps. And with an environmental champion like Maurice Golden in Parliament, you can send a strong signal for a government that is on your side against climate change."
  • Taxes: "As the economy enters recession, there's a great deal of sense in the approach we took in our Shadow Budget. Where Labour put all its cards on the government with long-running projects that it might not even be able to keep paying for - a tradition it seems to continue if the leaked transport plans are to be trusted -, we have been on your side, protecting the pound in your pocket. Our VAT cut wouldn't just help ordinary hard-working Scots like yourself keep the pound in your pocket, it also helps the entire supply chain from your local store to the businesses that supply it. It bolsters both your spending power and the confidence the economy needs to weather this recession. And with a Conservative government, we will implement that sort of policy to help our economy start growing again as soon as possible and keep it growing."
the Rt Hon. Emily Greenwood MP

Deputy Leader of the Labour Party (2019-)

MP for Barrow & Furness (2010-)
Secretary of State for Education (2019-)
Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Commons (2019-)

Shadow SoS for Public Services (2019)

Traits: Media Darling, Campaigning Guru, Constituency Appeal, Finite Resources
Speech (£200):

Thank you having me here today, it's always a pleasure to come up to Scotland and speak with people including our fantastic candidate Lindsay who has done a fantastic job throughout his career of ensuring high quality education is delivered and I'm sure that will be a priority of his coming into parliament and he and I will be working very closely to ensure that the best results not just for pupils in their exams, but across their lives are achieved.

I know that often it has felt like the Labour Party has felt entitled and hasn't listened to the people of Scotland at times and the people of Scotland have made that clear to us at the ballot box. This government must and will do better to ensure that the people of Glenrothes, Glasgow and all of Scotland feel that their voice is not just heard, but valued as it should be and that they are able to exercise control over their lives. That means that, as much as we may feel like we are on the same page, that we must enable the Scottish parliament in Holyrood to have the powers it needs to deliver on the specific needs of the people of Scotland, complimenting a British government, hopefully a Labour one that will always do its part to ensure Scotland prospers. We are, even if we disagree and bicker, family and we should treat each other as such, with respect and dignity.

This means that as a family of nations, we must become better connected, SuperConnect as a project will bring Scotland as a whole closer to the UK with a project that will not only provide jobs, but will provide access to jobs and opportunities to travel to the rest of the UK. This will be first stage in a series of projections that will transform the face of the UK to not only bring it back to growth, but also to do so in a sustainable and equal way across the country. It begins in places like Glenroth which will have unprecedented access to large swathes of the UK alongside our investment into local bus services that will form a component of our long term infrastructure plan for the whole of the UK ensuring nowhere is disconnect, or left behind as we go further into the 21st century.

We've also announced our renewable energy target to have 35% of our energy produced by renewables, whether it's offshore wind, hydroelectric energy or tidal power, we will bring a new green wave in this country. That will matter in places like Glenrothes, which has a manufacturing industry that will benefit from the new green jobs that will come from our plans to build across the country and locally. That means sustainable, well paying jobs that will rejuvenate the economy across the country, but especially locally. Our plans for public transport will also see improved air quality across the country and a more pleasant environment for all to enjoy. Climate change is one of the great challenges of our time, but we will meet the challenge and ensure that it is met fairly and in a way that brings a new wave of prosperity, helping us back to growth and beyond long into the 21st century.

I've also heard concerns about how our public services, such as the NHS and our education system will be prioritised in these difficult times, I want to assure people here that Scotland will be given the money and the support it needs to ensure a high quality of provision of services to everyone. I know this is a particular passion of Lindsay who will make education a priority of his going into his new role of MP if the people of Glenrothes are willing to see him enter parliament on their behalf. For a long time we've known that the only party that provides for our public services and it's the one that's put in record amounts of investment and will continue to do so, not the one that left so much of our beloved services in ruins.
Labour MP for Nottingham South (2010-)
Shadow Secretary of State for Social Security, Housing, and Employment (2019-)
Campaigning Guru/Fundraising Extraordinaire/Maverick
Beth Hunter Day 2 Free Event: Mainstreet

Beth Hunter joined the Glenrothes candidate, in a mainstreeting session where she spoke to residents about the economy, public services and Scottish devolution:

To a voter concerned about the economy she said: "I understand people's frustration with what has happened and the problems that so many people will face, it wasn't their fault that they're having to suffer to consequences of this. The best thing we can do as a government is lead strategic investment and ensure that we return to a sustainable level of growth as quickly as possible so that people can get back to work.

To another voter concerned about public services she said, "I understand that some people think we cannot have the kinds of investments we've promised and sustained increases in our public services. I promise you this, the Labour party is the party of our NHS and of our education system and will continue to push for record investment and excellent results for everyone across the country, including right here in Glenrothes."

To a final voter who was concerned around devolution, she said "I know that there has been a considerable lag in how people think devolution should have gone and the Scottish Parliament absolutely deserves more power, as do the other devolved assemblies. Decisions around services are best made locally and the freedom needs to be given to do so. That's why we will ensure that the Scottish people feel like they not only have a say at Westminster, but also have a powerful parliament of their own able to take on local challenges that they are more directly in touch with."
Labour MP for Nottingham South (2010-)
Shadow Secretary of State for Social Security, Housing, and Employment (2019-)
Campaigning Guru/Fundraising Extraordinaire/Maverick
Dunk MacMahon Mainstreeting - £300 (Glenrothes)

Sir Dunk MacMahon travelled to Glenrothes with the Lib Dem candidate Harry Wills to speak to voters. 

On devolution, Sir Dunk said “I’m a proud Scot, and I’m a proud Brit, and I firmly believe that Scotland does best - and can achieve even greater things - when part of a proud and equal family of nations. And that requires treating devolution less as some trifling policy experiment and transitioning towards making federalism, devolution, the status quo. That’s why the Lib Dems - alone among the parties - have called for a commission to identify more powers that should be devolved - including greater control over the levers of economic policy and more space to go above and beyond the standards and protections established by Westminster.” 

On Lib Dem chances in Scotland, Sir Dunk said “not only have we already won a recent parliamentary by-election, in nearby Dunfermline and West Fife, but we have also been polling neck and neck with the SNP in recent polls. So Labour’s falling, their assumption that they’ll always be first place in Scotland is looking increasingly strained, and the Lib Dems are emerging as the strongest and most dynamic contender against a divisive SNP.”

On economic investment, Sir Dunk said “what we in the Lib Dems want to do is level up the whole UK economy, to diversify the economy, to make sure that there are engines of economic growth in every part of our union. We have a strong and ambitious vision for investment - both public sector investment but also leveraging private sector investment too.”
Grant Smith
Liberal Democrat MP for Leeds North West (2005-present)

Media Unknown, Constituency Appeal, Campaign Organiser, Fundraiser Extraordinaire 
Previously: Sir Lachlan Domnhall Coinneach Duncan MacMahon; Graham Adiputera; I think I played some dull Labour bloke at one point