22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
Andy
 Andy
(@adminandy)
Member Registered
Topic starter  

With migration figures hitting an all-time record, is immigration to Britain too high, too low or about right? What should be done about it?

Closes at 23:59 on 28th June

General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

The mistake previous governments - of all stripes - have made is to view immigration simply as a fact of numbers, of lower figures being better. Thankfully, this government has a more mature approach to immigration and we are proud of our record here. We are fully funding and properly investing in the services and border security infrastructure that keeps us safe, investing more in infrastructure and communities to better deal with new arrivals, and ensuring the undeniable economic gains that result from immigration are fairly distributed. Immigration is a good thing and this government recognises that. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
General Goose
(@general-goose)
Member Registered

Another thing to consider from these figures is that, ultimately, it puts the fearmongering about refugees in perspective. Though there may be isolated incidents, as a nation we are more than able to welcome considerable numbers while still increasing standards in public services and improving infrastructure. 

Graham Adiputera (Lib Dem - Sutton and Cheam)
Deputy Prime Minister
Liberal Democrat Leader
Foreign Secretary
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Climate Change
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Technology

Parliamentary - 36
Media - 53
Policy - 48

ReplyQuote
(@steven-andrews)

The question isn't just one of numbers, but of who is coming and going and what control we have over the situation also matters.  Obviously our ability to regulate migration within the EU is limited, but the Government's decision to voluntarily add another 100,000 net migrants to the mix from outside the EU is not helping the situation, putting us on course to potentially break half a million in the next year.  The Government's decision threatens to add extra stress to resources already stressed by organic migration trends within the European Union.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire Registered

As net migration rises higher and higher the Government are not taking the perfectly legitimate views of many millions of people up and down the country into account. The Government's decision to take in another 100,000 refugees, who under their plan will become economic migrants as well with indefinite leave to remain, will only further exacerbate the societal and political tensions that give rise to extremism. The Government's "plan" for refugees will exacerbate tensions, their plan to give them preferential access to jobs and apprenticeships will be taken by many as a direct slap in the face. We need to manage migration to ensure that we take in the most skilled workers who will directly improve our economy and we need to ensure that we have a plan for returning refugees to the countries they came from when it is safe for them to return rather than letting them remain here permanently as economic migrants.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
Douglas Byrne
(@douglas-byrne)

Levels of immigration are too high. People have been telling us that for more than a decade, and they’re fed up with being ignored.

I want to cut immigration from outside the EU whilst negotiating an emergency brake on immigration from within the EU, allowing us to restrict access to welfare in times of high net migration.

It’s time to bring immigration down to sustainable levels, and it’s time to finally do what the public are asking us to.

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
Member Registered

Today's figures on net immigration confirm what the British public have known for a very long time: immigration into our country is growing unchecked, and the Government's refusal to respond has only led to exacerbate the issue. 

Let me be very clear: I and my colleagues in the Conservative Party believe immigration is good for Britain, and provides inherent value to our country. No one who wants to work hard, contribute to our community and be apart of our great country should be turned away. 

But our ability to do that becomes next to impossible when hundreds of thousands of new migrants come into our country every year, unchecked and unvetted by a border control system left to rot by a Government comfortable with unlimited immigration. The Government has an obligation to the citizens they serve, and the public services they protect, to ensure our country can handle the strain placed upon it by record levels of immigration.

They are not doing that, and their reckless policy making will make life worse for all those who call the United Kingdom home. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
Dogslife
(@dogslife)
Member Registered

I think our current immigration numbers are fine. We shouldn’t give into this Tory fear mongering about immigration. Truth is they commit less crime and help grow out country to make it even better. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. If anyone does say immigrants are something to be feared or that they hurt this country, they are lying to get political points. Thank you.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Dogslife

Erick Travere
Labour - Derby South

ReplyQuote
William (Will) Conway
(@will-conway)
MP for Milton Keynes North

The United Kingdom has just recorded a record level of net migration.  The Government would have you believe this is an unalloyed good, but a more critical assessment is appropriate. 

While the Government characteristically dismisses concerns from Middle England about immigration's potentially bad side effects, remember that we already spend nearly one billion pounds annually dealing with foreign convicts in our penal system.  And we have had to deal with failures in our criminal justice system, with foreign convicts not being deported as they should be, which has caused real harm to real people. 

And now this Government seeks to increase net migration by 250,000 persons who claim refugee status.  This is simply not a sensible policy.  All of the Government's virtue-signalling on immigration and refugees does a disservice to our citizens who want to live safely and securely.

A sensible policy on immigration will consist of our country advocating for responsible and controllable flows of people within the European Union.  In addition, to the extent that we accept increases in migration from other EU countries, we will have to balance those increases by reducing numbers from outside the EU.

Immigration can be a good thing for the United Kingdom, but we should not support immigration for immigration's sake, as this Government does.  Instead, we need to consider both the benefits and drawbacks of large levels of immigration and strive to find the right balance.  It must not be taboo to consider our national interest.

Will Conway
Conservative
MP for Milton Keynes North (2014- )
Shadow Secretary of State for Energy,
Environment and Climate Change (2016)

Parliamentary 16
Media 14
Policy 8

ReplyQuote
John Knox
(@jknox)
Member Registered

It’s delightful to watch the Tories tell us that they’re not against immigration or immigrants, but what’s going is unacceptable. I wish they’d just pick one

Calvin Ward Conservative MP for Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale

Parliamentary- 7
Media- 13
Policy- 6

ReplyQuote
John Knox
(@jknox)
Member Registered

Isn’t it amazing. William Croft said, and I want to get this right “Let me be very clear: I and my colleagues in the Conservative Party believe immigration is good for Britain, and provides inherent value to our country.”

But releases today a cross party movement that says they eschew “anti immigrant and nationalistic which has defined campaigning against the EU”

To the press he believes its good but to his anti Immigrant friends another. It’s the same old Two faces Tories

Parliamentary- 7
Media- 13
Policy- 6

ReplyQuote
Macmillan
(@dylan-macmillan)
MP for North East Bedfordshire Registered

Frankly I think it is bizarre, complacent, and stupid to try and tar everyone who believes in Brexit as a racist little Englander, the Prime Minister should show more restraint and stop using such intellectually bankrupt arguments. The Prime Minister does himself, his country, and the millions of people who voted for pro-referendum parties a great disservice when he reduces the argument to calling the other side racist. We will not win the hearts and minds of the nation for remaining in the EU if we call the other side racist bigots.

Conservative MP for North East Bedfordshire
Leader of the Opposition (2014-16)

Prime Minister (2014)

Parliamentary Experience: Novice (25)
Media Experience: Experienced (62)
Policy Experience: Novice (29)

ReplyQuote
John Knox
(@jknox)
Member Registered

The Leader of the Opposition can win £40 if he shows me where I called any member of the Tories a racist. I’d like for him to show me where I said it. I didn’t. I called Mr. Croft a hypocrite, which he is. 

Parliamentary- 7
Media- 13
Policy- 6

ReplyQuote
(@steven-andrews)

Calvin Ward seems at pains to tell the difference between opposing a clumsily-drafted bill handed over to the Commons in an attempt by his predecessor to drop the mic and opposition to immigration.  I think we have made it very clear that we're worried about how to handle the inevitable messy situations that will come up with vetting hundreds of thousands of potential refugee admittees as well as the fact that the former PM seems to have dropped this policy on the House without talking to her Cabinet first.  But Mr. Ward clearly wants to ignore all nuance so he can shamefully demagogue the migrant issue instead of working towards solutions.

Steven Andrews, MP for Croydon South

34 Policy/18 Media/23 Parliamentary

ReplyQuote
William Croft
(@william-croft)
Member Registered

I've come back from a working lunch with my colleagues to see that the Prime Minister has decided to spend the day attacking me rather than getting on with the business of Government. I know matters like the European Union and immigration are complex, so I'll say this slowly so that even Mr. Ward can understand: like the Prime Minister I believe we should open our borders to immigrants, unlike the Prime Minister I'm not comfortable surrendering control of those borders to bureaucrats in Brussels. 

The Prime Minister can call me all the names he wants, I frankly don't care. What I do care about, and what I won't stand for, is the Prime Minister arrogantly labeling the hardworking Britons who wish to leave the EU as stupid and hateful. The Prime Minister can attempt to cast those who want our country to leave the EU as anti-immigration or nationalistic all he wants, the people simply aren't buying it. If wanting to give every person in this country the chance to voice their position on our membership of the EU is "radical," than so be it, I'm a radical. 

Now please, Prime Minister, get back to work. 

William Croft
Member of Parliament for Bracknell
Shadow Foreign Secretary
Chairman of the Conservative Party
Chief Whip of the Conservative party

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: