Charles Trenython
Constituency: Burton
XP: 3
Trait(s): None
Discord username: axocja#6492

MS05 - Deployment of Troops in Macedonia

Post by Charles Trenython »

Madam Speaker,

I rise today in my capacity as the Secretary of State for Defence to inform the house about the deployment of British troops in Macedonia.

Following discussions at the latest NATO Summit, Madam Speaker, we discussed and outlined a new NATO mission codenamed Operation Essential Harvest. The purpose of this mission, Madam Speaker, is to assist the Republic of Macedonia in a law-enforcement and peacekeeping mission. In March of this year, Madam Speaker, Ethnic Albanian groups associated with the National Liberation Army in Macedonia opened fire on Macedonian police during a nationalist rally in the town of Tetovo, later using mortars and snipers on Macedonian forces. Sustained and targeted attacks on Macedonian forces have continued since the outbreak of the conflict, which has spread to surrounding areas. In June, Madam Speaker, Albanian mortar fire wounded 20 civilians in the town. I am sad to report that 12 civilians were killed during this mortal attack, the youngest of which was a 12-year-old girl who was mortally wounded during this mortar fire, and sadly lost her life. Our thoughts are with all those civilians who lost their lives.

In addition to these attacks, Madam Speaker, the NLA has been keeping civilians, hostage, in villages in the surrounding area with Macedonian security forces often powerless due to their strategic locations or their lack of manpower.

Madam Speaker, the North Atlantic Council has decided that the best course of action is to assist the Macedonian forces in disarming the rebels, operating under the National Liberation Army, and stop any further insurgency, with the aim of pursuing a political solution. The position, Madam Speaker, of NATO is clear: we must have the objective of a political solution and a cease-fire as our top priority. The deployment of troops is a very clear signal that we would like this conflict to end as soon as possible, with an unconditional cease-fire from both sides the ideal option.

The troops will as I said previously, Madam Speaker, be focused on disarming the NLA and collecting weapons, munitions, military vehicles and other equipment used by the NLA against Macedonian forces. We anticipate regular updates on the volume of weaponry seized from the region, and I will endeavour to keep the House updated at appropriate junctures. During this process, we must protect the lives of civilians and uphold the terms of any localised cease-fires for the purposes of disarming the NLA and other rebel fighters.

Based upon this mission objective, Madam Speaker, up to 1,000 troops from the 16 Air Assault Brigade, led by Brigadier White-Spunner. This Brigade is specifically designed to act as a rapid response force. Support from UK special forces will be available if deemed necessary.

Madam Speaker, having served in the military for 31 years prior to joining Parliament, I never take the decision to deploy the military abroad lightly, but it is in solidarity with our NATO allies and the innocent civilians hurt in the Republic of Macedonia that Britain will stand up for those who cannot. We must ensure that peace in the region is sustained and NATO and the British Government see this as the best pathway to peace.
CHARLES TRENYTHON MP | Labour MP for Burton
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (2000-present)
Secretary of State for Defence (2000-present)
Owain Jones
Constituency: Monmouth
XP: 4
Discord username: Redstorm

Re: MS05 - Deployment of Troops in Macedonia

Post by Owain Jones »

Madame Speaker

Does the government not see the irony in intervening as the airforce in favour of the NLA sister movement the KLA in Kosovo who they are indistinguishable from and acting against them in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
Owain Jones
Conservative MP for Monmouth 1997 - Present
Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs
Tory Reform Group
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Rebecca Flair »

Madam Speaker,

I rise cautiously today. No Government, indeed no elected politician, should rise joyfully to declare their support for deploying troops, it is a necessary evil we must undergo to create a more just World. Madam Speaker it is clear from the Foreign and Defence Secretary's words that there has been an escalation on the ground in the Balkans which presents a real and present danger to the local civilians and citizenry. That being said I have a couple of questions for the Right Honourable Gentleman which I do hope he is able to answer definitively and simpley.

Madam Speaker I would like to ask the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Defence what steps have been undertaken at the United Nations to secure an internationally legal mandate for this operation. Whilst I agree that this is a necessary operation it is only right that we do things properly, by the book, and through the necessary channels. I would urge the Defence Secretary to declare the legal basis for these actions so that we may support them on a cross-party basis. Secondly Madam Speaker I would like to ask the Secretary of State what the anticipated end time for this operation is. Will this be a short engagement or a longer term operation? Is there an end-date in mind and what steps have been undertaken to avoid mission creep? These are essential questions to ensure that our soldiers have the full knowledge of the operation and so that Parliament can properly hold the Government to account on this issue.

Madam Speaker I will bring my remarks to a close by reiterating that the Liberal Democrats support this operation but urge the Government to take every step necessary to ensure both its legality and a sense of finality so that we may judge the actions by the valour, skill, and dedication to duty of our troops on the ground not the potential missteps of our politicians back in London.
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
Charles Trenython
Constituency: Burton
XP: 3
Discord username: axocja#6492

Post by Charles Trenython »

Rebecca Flair wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:57 pm Madam Speaker,

I rise cautiously today. No Government, indeed no elected politician, should rise joyfully to declare their support for deploying troops, it is a necessary evil we must undergo to create a more just World. Madam Speaker it is clear from the Foreign and Defence Secretary's words that there has been an escalation on the ground in the Balkans which presents a real and present danger to the local civilians and citizenry. That being said I have a couple of questions for the Right Honourable Gentleman which I do hope he is able to answer definitively and simpley.

Madam Speaker I would like to ask the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Defence what steps have been undertaken at the United Nations to secure an internationally legal mandate for this operation. Whilst I agree that this is a necessary operation it is only right that we do things properly, by the book, and through the necessary channels. I would urge the Defence Secretary to declare the legal basis for these actions so that we may support them on a cross-party basis. Secondly Madam Speaker I would like to ask the Secretary of State what the anticipated end time for this operation is. Will this be a short engagement or a longer term operation? Is there an end-date in mind and what steps have been undertaken to avoid mission creep? These are essential questions to ensure that our soldiers have the full knowledge of the operation and so that Parliament can properly hold the Government to account on this issue.

Madam Speaker I will bring my remarks to a close by reiterating that the Liberal Democrats support this operation but urge the Government to take every step necessary to ensure both its legality and a sense of finality so that we may judge the actions by the valour, skill, and dedication to duty of our troops on the ground not the potential missteps of our politicians back in London.
Madam Speaker,

I thank the Honourable Lady for her questions on this important issue and can indeed answer her questions in a simple manner. I also would like to associate myself with her closing remarks.

Madam Speaker, the deployment of troops is at the request of the Government of Macedonia. Additionally, United Nations Resolution 1371 was the stated legal basis with NATO, which was a successor to intentions outlined in UN Resolution 1345 and 1244 before that. Madam Speaker, it is the wishes of everyone in NATO for this to be a swift operation with troops deployed for the shortest duration of time to meet the mission objective.
CHARLES TRENYTHON MP | Labour MP for Burton
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (2000-present)
Secretary of State for Defence (2000-present)
Blakesley
A-team
A-team
XP: 14
Discord username: Blakesley

Post by Blakesley »

I thank the minister for this statement. The House will now move on to other matters.
Blakesley
Treasury | Labour
Blakesley
A-team
A-team
XP: 14
Discord username: Blakesley

Post by Blakesley »

MS-05 - Deployment of Troops in Macedonia

To be brief, the Defence Secretary lays out an intervention in Macedonia and the logic behind it. The Liberal Democrats burnish their military restraint credentials. The Tories are absent.

Labour: +1
Liberal Democrat: +1
Blakesley
Treasury | Labour

Return to “Hansard”