PC14: Regional development policy

The home of press cycles.
Marty
XP: 18
Trait(s): Technical Mastery
Discord username: Martinulus#9514

PC14: Regional development policy

Post by Marty »

Is the approach the Deputy Prime Minister outlined in Manchester the best approach to levelling up the country? Or are there better ways to spur regional development?
Dr. Marty of the A-team
Technical Wizard
Education and Children, Health and Social Security, Environment and Energy, Constitutional Affairs
Scenarios
Conservative Party advisor
Alex Cardigan
Constituency: Kensington
XP: 8
Trait(s): None
Discord username: Cardigan

Re: PC14: Regional development policy

Post by Alex Cardigan »

We don't need to be partisan about everything - this is a good, long overdue policy. You will not find a more passionate local campaigner than I am, nor a party more passionate about local government than the Liberal Democrats, and as a result of that, we have campaigned for proper local & regional investment for years. Under the Conservatives, Thatcher and Major alike, our communities were starved of investment in public transport. Over the last few years we have seen little improvement, too, it is worth adding. That's why I was so happy to hear news of the DPM's speech - this policy addresses a concern which local people up and down Britain have, from Saddleworth to Southwark to Shetland, and I will be supporting it.
The Rt Hon. Alexander Simon "Alex" Cardigan MP
Deputy Leader of the Opposition (2015 to present)
MP for Kensington (1974 to present)
Secretary of State for International Development (2010 to 2015) | Shadow Secretary of State for International Development (2005 to 2010) | Shadow Secretary of State for Trade (1997 to 1999) | Chief Secretary to the Treasury (1995 to 1997) | Secretary of State for National Heritage (1992 to 1995) | Minister for Schools (1990 to 1992) | Minister for Foreign Affairs (1979 to 1981)
Bright Blue | Vote Blue Go Green!
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Tatton
XP: 6
Discord username: Croft

Post by Will Frost »

I'm never going to oppose more targeted funding for transport that connects the peoples and businesses of our regions together, nor will I ever oppose commonsense regulation aimed at keeping the British people safe. What I do take issue with, however, is the Government's consistent reluctance to utilize the private sector as an effective means to bring about real reform and change in this country. For all the Deputy Prime Minister's talk of wanting to craft long term solutions, throwing more money at the transport budget in order to purchase more buses and trains is nothing close to a long term plan to reinvigorate Britain's transportation system. The Deputy Prime Minister mistakes purchasing more things with modernization - the two are not the same, at all. Making our railways more competitive for example, and using legislative power to break up the train monopolies and to make it easier for new companies to compete and enter the market, would be a remarkably successful way to improve transportation right across the country. I am willing to admit that us Conservatives didn't get rail privatization entirely right when we first made it happen under Major, but more burdensome regulations and a couple more trains in use aren't going to solve the problem.

With new funding must come reform, and that second piece of the equation is consistently missed by New Labour. Reliable, safe, and cost effective transportation that can truly connect all four corners of our country will require a radical rethink of how our transportation policies, laws, and regulations work. If this Government is incapable of providing it, the Conservatives will.
Will Frost MP
Amelia Lockhart
Constituency: Great Grimsby
XP: 7
Discord username: Croslandfan

Post by Amelia Lockhart »

A core part of our plan to fire up our regional economies is to create a world-class and accessible public transport system. When people can travel and businesses can move goods across our country easily, our regional economies win.
So this Government will invest in our infrastructure, building new railway lines and roads, and regulate our public transport system in the public interest again. And we’ll stop private bus companies from holding up our towns and city centres, slowing down our economies. Labour has the plan to get all parts of our country feeling the benefits of regional development.
Amelia Lockhart
Labour Party
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party (2001 - )
MP for Great Grimsby (1992 - )

Deputy Prime Minister (2001 - )
Secretary of State for Business, Transport and Social Mobility (2001 - )

Secretary of State for Health (1999 - 2001)
Minister of State for Public Health (1997 - 1999)
Sir Jack Anderson
Constituency: Southampton Test
Discord username: TrashPotato#4034

Post by Sir Jack Anderson »

A structural weakness of the UK economy is that it is fundamentally divided in a way other developed countries are not, with wealth mostly concentrated in affluent parts of London and the South East. This division is stark between countries, between regions and even within cities - with some parts of London having among the highest poverty rates while other areas amass billions and billions.

This holds back the potential, innovation and talent of millions across our country who could contribute to our national story but are held back. Such division created over decades by the Conservative Party will not be resolved overnight, but the government is absolutely determined to ensure we lay the foundations.

We've done that with infrastructure investment, with the establishment of a world leading New Deal apprenticeship scheme backed by unprecedented investment and with the fiscal action to create a prudent economy and well invested public services. But as the Deputy Prime Minister said, we intend to go further and ensure everyone in Britain can contribute to its success and its story.

The Tories care nothing for those outside their wealthy constituencies in parts of the South East. When we talk about making a Britain that works for all whether you're in Broxtowe or Bolton, they berate us and demand we continue to cut taxes for their donors instead. They're out of touch and out of ideas, and this government will continue taking the bold but necessary action to ensure aspiration and wealth creation aren't just buzzwords for communities across the United Kingdom but can be realities.
Sir Jack Anderson
Labour Party.
Member of Parliament for Southampton Test
Chair of the Treasury Select Committee. (2000-2001)
Chancellor of the Exchequer. (2001-)
First Secretary of State. (2001-)
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Rebecca Flair »

It is true that the United Kingdom needs more investment and that is an aim that I am sure that we can all support, but this unfettered need to hold onto a £16bn surplus at all costs can only hold back the ambition of our desire to devolve funding and develop the nations and regions of our United Kingdom. The Liberal Democrats' plan would have invested nearly £250mn into Regional Development Agencies, £70mn into localised flood defences, and £2.75bn into local councils were it enacted by the Government. This money would have been able to rebalance our nation, protect our flood-vulnerable areas, and give councils real capacity to make a difference in local affairs. I hope that the commitment to developing local communities and investing in the under-represented regions of our nation will lead to a commitment to greater investment, but judging by the Government's comments I cannot say that I am holding out much hope.
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Rebecca Flair »

Whilst I am happy that the Government is getting serious on regional development and local government I cannot say that I share the same optimism about the Conservative Party. Their new leader orchestrated a budget which would not only have been devastating for the poorest in our society, and the communities which have had to make do with less investment for decades, but would also have somehow managed to be disastrous for London, the South, and the East. The Tories' desire to cut cut cut the taxes of the Top 1%, of investors, and of their donors meant that there was no money left over for investment in our communities. Countryside regeneration, frozen. Flood defences, frozen. Local business and regional development, frozen. This is not how you develop the left behind regions of our United Kingdom Mr Mountstuart, it is time for the Conservative Party to apologise not only for 18yrs of neglect but for a Shadow Budget that would have compounded that neglect and left our rural and suburban communities abandoned by the Government.
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
Sir Jack Anderson
Constituency: Southampton Test
Discord username: TrashPotato#4034

Post by Sir Jack Anderson »

With respect to Rebecca Flair, if she thinks that the way to rebalance our economy is to invest in flood defences, to give more money to councils and RDA's, she does not understand the scale of the problem. The solutions to rebalancing our economy require bolder thinking than just spending more, especially when you consider that however much you spend it is unequally distributed across the UK.

It requires effective investment, but also restructuring how we invest. And, crucially, it must be supported by a strong economy and by strong finances in the process. That is the crux of the Deputy Prime Minister's speech, and this government intends not just to deliver on those proposals but to introduce a bold package of reforms in the coming year.
Sir Jack Anderson
Labour Party.
Member of Parliament for Southampton Test
Chair of the Treasury Select Committee. (2000-2001)
Chancellor of the Exchequer. (2001-)
First Secretary of State. (2001-)
Andy Edwards
Constituency: Ellesmere Port and Neston
XP: 6
Discord username: aboltik

Post by Andy Edwards »

I can say having grown up in the north that this Government's plans are a fantastic start for dealing with long-standing regional economic inequalities. These inequalities- and particularly the lack of investment- can't be solved by the Lib Dem problems of just tossing money at the issue; I suppose that might explain why their plans to just "throw money at it" works so well for them electorally up north.

This Government's plans for investing and developing long-ignored regions starts with building a strong base for growth. But we won't stop until we do more for regions long ignored. The goals on transportation investment and development are the first things that we could use when you get out on The Wirral which already feels so disconnected from the rest of England. But continuing to support employment growth, educational investment, the apprenticeships funded by the New Deal is going to be how we create meaningful and lasting economic growth and opportunities for those who really need it most. I'm proud that Labour is focusing on meaningful investment and meaningful programs that will provide meaningful results- far more than we'd get from Tory gut and cut or just throwing money at an issue.
Andrew Edwards MP
MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston (1992-) | Labour
Secretary of State for the Home Office (2001-)

Return to “Press Office”