PC 9: Pre-Budget Revelations

Andy Edwards
Constituency: Ellesmere Port and Neston
XP: 6
Trait(s): None
Discord username: aboltik

Re: PC 9: Pre-Budget Revelations

Post by Andy Edwards »

Considering that the Liberal Democrats were saying that it's completely unfair to the people of Britain to leak budget details to the press, we're getting a lot of specific proposals from them through that very outlet.

I won't deny that the budget is among one of the most important things that any Government will put forward, and we should ensure that the proposals are given full transparency and fair debate. This Government will do that. This Government will continue its record of fiscal responsibility and competence that Britain depends on. But statements here, comments to the press about the Government's budget proposal, have made one thing clear: we are committed to fulfilling our promises to the British people. While both the Tories and Liberal Democrats want to try to attack, the public knows from the past and from our platform that we will be the ones making record investments in the NHS, in education, in criminal justice, that we need. People don't need leaks to know that we stand for them. Workers don't need leaks to know we won't be raising taxes on them like you might find from the others
Andrew Edwards MP
MP for Ellesmere Port and Neston (1992-) | Labour
Secretary of State for the Home Office (2001-)
David Malkin
XP: 1

Post by David Malkin »

The Home Secretary has just stated that, "workers don't know leaks to know we won't be raising taxes on them." If that is the case, I would urge the Chancellor to publicly commit that the budget he plans to introduce will not raise taxes, directly or indirectly, by one penny on individuals or the businesses that employ them. This Government has a track record for breaking the promises they make to the British people, which is why voters punished them heavily during the last general election. If the Government genuinely has no intention to raise taxes in their upcoming budget, or to engage in the practice of imposing stealth taxes that are equally as damaging, than I call on the Chancellor to plainly say just that.
David Malkin
Conservative MP for Windsor
David Malkin
XP: 1

Post by David Malkin »

The difference between this Government and the Conservative Party is that my party seeks to increase spending in public services in a way that actually solves the problems our country faces. The simple reality is that increasing investment in public services means nothing if it's not paired with a commitment to combat wasteful government bureaucracy. To date, while Government spending on areas like the NHS, schools, and crime has risen, we're not seeing the positive results one would expect from higher investment. Attainment levels in schools are stagnant, hospitals aren't receiving the financial support to take on more patients, and violent crime is rising. Empty promises about new spending won't do any one any good if that spending doesn't reach the people it is intended to serve.
David Malkin
Conservative MP for Windsor
Elizabeth Tanner
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Westminster North
XP: 10
Discord username: Morgan#2072

Post by Elizabeth Tanner »

Four years ago Labour came into power after 18 years of Tory economic mismanagement - the ERM, Black Wednesday, recession and a flatlining economic - but thanks to the economic prudence of Labour Governments we now find our country in a much stronger position with growth up, unemployment falling and wages growing. Labour has been able to keep the economy strong and stable, avoiding a global recession, and now with a budget surplus we have the freedom to invest into our public services, in infrastructure and in our economy. This investment is only possible because of the Labour party's sound economic polices.
Elizabeth Tanner
MP for Westminster North

First Secretary of State
Secretary of State for Foreign, Defence and Commonwealth Affairs
Clarice Ashbridge
Constituency: Eastwood
XP: 3
Discord username: LegolasRedbard

Post by Clarice Ashbridge »

Selective leaks to the press, no doubt done to try and build up hype for this budget without having anyone look at the small print, does not come close to addressing the concerns of the British people when it comes to their daily lives, and I only hope that the Chancellor does so when he presents his budget to the House. Somehow, I doubt it. This is a government that has has spent the last five years blaming the last Conservative government for their failures, whilst taking full credit for the healthy economic situation we left for the in 1997. A government which preaches "responsible spending," but is more than happy to turn on the taps whenever they find themselves in a crisis of their own making. And this is a government which has waged a war on the family, abolishing the Marriage Tax Allowance and making it harder for traditional families to get by. They cannot have their cake and eat it too, and a time is coming in which Jack Anderson and the rest will be judged harshly on their record in government, not anyone else's

The Conservatives too, after the budget, will reveal out positive alternative to yet another New Labour budget. In May, we took our vision for the British economy to the British people, promising lower taxes, better and targeted investment in our public services, and a better quality of living for all the people of Britain. We saw huge gains as Labour's majority was decimated, and exit polls showed that we were the most trusted party on the issue of tax. Building on that success, we will build a Shadow Budget that would put more money in the pockets of ordinary Brits, and give those with aspiration the tools needed to make a success of themselves.
The Hon. Clarice Ashbridge MP, Lady Ashbridge
Scottish Conservative and Unionist
Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department (October 2001 - present)
Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities (June 2001 - present)
MP for Eastwood (2001 - present)
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Rebecca Flair »

News that the Conservative Party are going to cut taxes will mean nothing to the vast majority of Britons because the Tories aren't going to cut their taxes. Abolishing the Tory Donor Inheritance Tax will be of little benefit to the vast majority of people, cutting Capital Gains Tax further will help only the very rich few, and cutting the top rate of Income Tax shows that Tory priorities are in the wrong place. Only the Liberal Democrats will deliver hundreds of pounds worth of tax cuts for everyone in this country. Our plan to abolish the bottom rate of Income Tax will be worth over £200 per person every year, our plan to cut VAT will make everyone's money go further, and our plans to reject the Tory Carbon Tax will allow us to build a green future without destroying our businesses today. The Tories talk about tax cuts, but only the Liberal Democrats can deliver real change for real people.
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Tatton
Discord username: Croft

Post by Will Frost »

Based on what Rebecca is telling us, the Liberal Democratic tax plan sounds a lot like ours: lower taxes, less regulation, and rejecting the carbon tax.

The British people could back that plan, or they could get the real thing by voting Conservative.
Will Frost MP
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Rebecca Flair »

The Conservative plan includes the abolition of the Inheritance Tax, slashing of Capital Gains Tax, and the vast reduction of the top rate of Income Tax. The Tory tax cuts will not be felt by the vast majority of the people of the United Kingdom and will instead funnel rather neatly into the pockets of Mr Croft's backers, like him and his party they are inherently regressive, nonsensical, and wasteful. The Liberal Democrat plan, not all of which has been published, would provide tax cuts for every man and woman in this country. Abolishing the lowest rate of Income Tax cuts taxes for all taxpayers, cutting VAT to 15% provides a tax cut to every living person in the United Kingdom, and freezing Council Tax cuts the annual upkeep of the family home in a way that a CGT cut never will. The Tories are not interested in helping the people, as with everything in their bizarre little World they only want to help their people. The Liberal Democrats stand up for tax cuts for all, not Cowboy Croft's dodgy deals.
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Will Frost »

When I won the leadership of the Conservative Party I said that our party and our country needed to change, and I meant it. Tonight I have begun my campaign for bringing about that change by announcing my party's intent to abolish university tuition fees. As the product of a working class single mother I know all too well the realties that face struggling families who are forced to make incredibly difficult decisions every day. In my speech to the Tory Reform Group this evening I made it clear that abolition of tuition fees is both the conservative and the compassionate thing to do. Most importantly, it is the right thing for our country. No one should be forced to decide whether or not they can afford to send their child to university, and under the Conservative Government I will lead they won't have to.

Our proposal removes the upfront financial barrier that is deterring far too many incredibly gifted young people from pursuing a university degree. If you want to go to university, you will be able to. It should be just that simple, and with a Conservative Government it will be.
Will Frost MP
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Will Frost »

The British people deserve a Government that is committed to ensuring they keep more of what they earn, and the Shadow Chancellor has made clear his commitment to do just that. A central aspect of our party's new comprehensive policy, the Right Way Forward, is the belief that money is spent better by entrepreneurial individuals than it is by the bureaucratic, lumbering state. Our Shadow Budget will act on that core principle of the Right Way Forward by delivering an unprecedented tax cut that will amount to billions of pounds being returned to the British people. Mr. Mountstuart has made clear he intends to deliver the sort of Shadow Budget that puts more money into the hands of the British people, makes it easier for businesses to grow and employ more people, and that uses the tax system to encourage and support the British family. Our Shadow Budget will show what is possible when Britain is led by a Government that believes in the power and innovative spirit of the British people.
Will Frost MP

Return to “Marked Press Cycles & Speeches”