Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Westminster North
XP: 10
Trait(s): None
Discord username: Morgan#2072

Lab Sp: Extending the benefits of prosperity to all

Post by Elizabeth Tanner »

Prime Minister Dr Mary MacAndrews attended an event hosted by Tribune where she delivered a speech entitiled "Extending the benefits of prosperity to all"

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to thank Tribune for hosting tonight’s speech titled “Extending the benefits of prosperity to all” and for inviting me to speak. As Prime Minister my overarching goal has been to continue to build greater and wider prosperity for all. That task has not been without difficulties, and over the last four years the Labour Government has had to take very difficult decisions to protect and grow that prosperity. But with careful management of the economy and public spending we have delivered the much needed change from Conservative boom and bust economics to prudent and responsible economics that enables us to deliver stronger public services and a secure economy for all.

Four years ago our movement was swept into power with a mandate like no other Labour Government, bar Atlee, has ever seen. After 18 years of Conservative mismanagement and 18 years of political wilderness for the Labour Party we were entrusted to deliver the change millions of British people were crying out for. Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, John Prescott and many others provided the leadership our party and our country needed at a pivotal juncture in British history. They realised that if we were ever to return to Government and end Conservative rule we had to modernise, change and bring together a coalition of voters that went beyond our traditional support. And it worked.

Many in our movement have very strong opinions when it comes to Tony Blair. Even Tony and I had our disagreements but his impact on the Labour party can never be diminished, he brought us out of the political wilderness and back into Government. And he did so by going out beyond the already converted and listened to what they wanted to say, what their hopes are and what they were concerned about. It was this that enabled our party to reclaim the centre ground, to reclaim our place as the party of government, to reclaim our place as the party of strong public services and responsible economics.

I have been incredibly proud of the work we have done in government over the last four years. Landmark legislation that has delivered prosperity for millions of working people instead of just the wealthy. The national minimum wage that gave millions of workers a pay rise and security in their pay. We put in place new regulations for Maternity and Parental leave that provided peace of mind for mothers-to-be and new mothers on their rights and privileges. We implemented the sure start programme that is a vital resource for families up and down the country. And as Education Secretary I was so proud that we reversed the years of neglect our schools endured under Conservative governments. We did all of these while following incredibly strict fiscal rules, and that is something we as a movement should be incredibly proud of. We showed the British people that it is possible to invest in our society, in our public services and in our futures while maintaining prudent and responsible spending. Yes, it was hard at times, but we are now all the stronger for it.

When Labour came to power in 1997 Britain was a country that was teetering on the edge of ruin after multiple Conservative recessions and their boom and bust economics. Unemployment was at an unacceptable rate of 7%. Interest rates were soaring. We had to get to work to steady the ship. And now, we have an economy that is growing. Interest rates are stable. Unemployment is falling. And wages are growing. We are expanding the prosperity of the UK to everyone, not just those at the top with our economic prudence.

I know that many were hoping for a blow out budget, and despite our economy being in a much stronger position thanks to our careful management, it is still too precarious to throw it all away. I am resolute in my commitment that I will not allow this Government to follow in the footsteps of its Conservative predecessors that threw every opportunity for growth away to satisfy their ideological desire to cut taxes for the wealthy. I will never allow such recklessness to happen while I am Prime Minister. Careful and prudent spending is essential as the global economy around us is engulfed in recession. I’m sure that may not be what many of you want to hear, but I am confident that the Government’s prudence is what will ensure prosperity continues to grow and the benefits of that prosperity will be shared across the entire country.

However, prudent and responsible spending by no means we are hoarding onto money. In the last budget we saw historic increases in spending to the NHS and education, to regional development and research, in pay rises for doctors, nurses, teachers and other essential workers. And on top of all that we cut taxes for millions of hard working people, not the wealthy elites, but for working class people across the UK.

Now it would be easy for me to rattle off figures and statistics from the budget, but what I want to make clear is how this budget increases prosperity and how that prosperity is shared equally. With a stable and secure economy Britain remains a place where investment is not only encouraged but welcomed. Not just by the British people, but by businesses that have the benefit of utilising a workforce that is supported and protected by the State, where investment into infrastructure takes places, where they know their workforce will be well-trained. This is what it means to have a prosperous Britain. Where businesses want to invest, where workers are protected and supported, and where everyone benefits. We see this prosperity expanded with wages growing and unemployment falling. Britain is open for business and boy is she working hard.

Across all Government departments widening and expanding prosperity is key. Our Future Classrooms programme will see a massive investment into schools buildings meaning that children will benefit from the very best opportunities to enhance their learning potential - and opportunities that will prepare them to be active members of the workforce of tomorrow. With new technologies being invented almost every day our workforce will need to be prepared for that future.

Our commitment to a skilled and well-trained workforce does not end when a child leaves school, but must be a whole-life process to always provide the training and skills needed. This is evident in the Deputy Prime Minister’s Adult Literacy Programme that will get to work in eliminating the scourge that is adult illiteracy. In a modern, developed country like Britain it is unacceptable that anyone should leave schooling with poor literacy skills. In fact it must be the very minimum standard that every child leaving school is at adequate standards for reading and writing. However, with those that have so unfortunately slipped through the cracks we have a plan to ensure that they are not left out in the cold, but can gain access to training that will equip them with the skills needed to benefit from Britain’s shared prosperity.

Our commitment to cutting the 7 million adults that lack functional literacy skills is one that I will uphold while I am Prime Minister. It is essential that we tackle this moral and economic problem. Through direct investment and new training programmes we are already getting to work, and as millions of adults take advantage of this programme we will see millions more reaping the rewards of Britain’s growing prosperity.

The New Deal Apprenticeship programme will revolutionise training and education for young people. For eighteen to twenty five year olds we are investing historic spending. This programme is not just a short-term fix but will deliver serious, long-term solutions to youth unemployment. A well rounded approach to training and employment is essential to widening access to the benefits of prosperity. As I mentioned earlier that it would be incredibly easy for me to stand here and cite the budget and statistics and claim a job well done, but I recognise that unless we are equipping our children, young people, adults, the entire workforce with the skills needed then we will never truly deliver the benefits of a strong and prosperous nation.

While I accept that Labour had to take very difficult decisions in its first four years in office I also accept that with our economy stronger and more secure it provides the Treasury with the chance to ease the purse-strings. The Chancellor made this very clear in his budget speech, that while we will continue to be prudent with a purpose when it comes to our spending it does not mean we are unable to invest to make life easier for millions of hard working people. Our income tax cut is putting more money back into the pockets of millions of families. A shift to a fairer taxation of wealth that makes sure that work pays, which we have begun with a much more progressive approach to stamp duty where people buying an average priced house will pay a penny and only on houses that are well above average will there be a modest increase. This modest increase will raise much needed funds for our public services all the while keeping our economic position strong.

We have also listened to the millions of motorists and abolished the Fuel Duty Escalator and placed a freeze of vehicle excise duty. This will be much needed relief for millions of people who rely on their car day in day out. And we have only been able to do this thanks to the sensible management of our finances.

As I bring my remarks to a close I want to take us back to the beginning of my speech. Where I said that as Prime Minister it has been my overarching goal has been to continue to build greater and wider prosperity for all. Being Prime Minister is the greatest honour in my life. To not only lead our movement but to lead our country is a job that many aspire to hold, and I take the responsibility placed on me very seriously. While some of my contemporaries in party leadership positions have many opinions on me and my leadership, I know that our movement is more than just one person but we all come together to deliver what Britain needs - competent and progressive government in the national interest. That is how we deliver greater prosperity for our country, and that is how we expand that prosperity for all to benefit from. As Prime Minister I have to take the tough decisions but I know that behind me I have an entire movement that has my back.

Together we will continue to extend and open up prosperity across our country for all to benefit from. Thank you.
Elizabeth Tanner
MP for Westminster North

First Secretary of State
Secretary of State for Foreign, Defence and Commonwealth Affairs
Marty
XP: 18
Trait(s): Technical Mastery
Discord username: Martinulus#9514

Re: Lab Sp: Extending the benefits of prosperity to all

Post by Marty »

In our genre of sending leaders to places where they've got to defend their own policy while also speaking to an audience that would've preferred another faction in charge: a New Labourite at the bastion of the soft left. Now this is definitely better than Croft did. It's not as good as your Home Secretary did in front of an audience wanting to hear a tough on crime speech.

I got the feeling at times that you were a bit defensive. Obviously, you weren't going to tell them exactly what they wanted to hear (which is the economy is good and that means we can finally open the taps and be Labour, huzzah). And actually, you did adopt a good strategy towards that, by being upfront about not doing so. Sometimes, of course, it bordered on the defensive. But in essence, your approach was a good one, with the added plus that the public watching through the media get sold your credibility. That's defenitely something.

The second part of your strategy - outlining that your government is actually doing a lot the left would like - was also well-executed. Maybe I'd have put a even more focus on that, but in the end, I understand the choices you made.

A solid performance from the PM altogether. Good job.

Labour +7
Dr. Marty of the A-team
Technical Wizard
Education and Children, Health and Social Security, Environment and Energy, Constitutional Affairs
Scenarios
Conservative Party advisor

Return to “Marked Press Cycles & Speeches”