Regional Papers

Also known as the gutter press, the papers present the viewpoints of various segments of society, and give MPs an opportunity to write directly to them.
Blakesley
A-team
A-team
XP: 14
Trait(s): None
Discord username: Blakesley

Regional Papers

Post by Blakesley »

The regional papers of England, including (but not limited to) the Yorkshire Post, Manchester Evening News, Liverpool Echo, and the like.
Sir Dylan Macmillan
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: North East Bedfordshire
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Re: Regional Papers

Post by Sir Dylan Macmillan »

Richmond and Twickenham Times

Heathrow-Area Councils Announce Support of Heathwick Proposal

Cllrs Raymond Puddifoot MBE, Gareth Roberts, Ravi Govindia, and Simon Dudley, leaders of the Borough Councils of Hillingdon, Richmond, Wandsworth, and Windsor and Maidenhead announced their support for the Government's Heathwick proposal in separate statements today.

"It is vital that we have a Government who listens to citizens and local authorities," Puddifoot said in an interview. "For years, both the Cameron and May Governments did not care that the people of Hillingdon were opposed to runway expansion, they did not care that this would be the worst possible option for our environment. I'm thankful that Sirs Arthur and James disagreed with that conclusion and opened this debate back up."

Roberts, a Liberal Democrat, made an additional separate statement writing that "for too long, Governments have felt free to run roughshod over people to bow down at the altar of corporations. The death of the Heathrow proposals are a welcome development for that reason and for the end of the threat of environmental damage that was looming over the region."

"I am proud that this solution is now out there," Govindia stated. "We have been begging for the last Governments to find a way to invest in our boroughs without sacrificing our natural resources. This plan will ensure that jobs are still created, but our environment is not wrecked."
Sir Dylan Macmillan
MP for North East Bedfordshire 2001 - Present

Shadow Chancellor 2016
Chancellor 2015
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 2014 - 2015
Leader of the House of Commons 2012 - 2014
Secretary of State for International Development 2010 - 2012
Conservative Party Chairman 2008 - 2010
Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury 2005 - 2008
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Oxford West & Abingdon
Discord username: comphelphelp

Post by Theresa Major »

THE NORTHERN ECHO
Train In Vain: Let's Fix The Rails Now
By Matty Bradford, MP
City of Durham

"London Calling" by The Clash still ranks as the best album I've ever listened to. I discovered it in a bin at The Record Shed in Durham when I was 12 on the advice of an older boy I looked up to because of his skateboarding prowess. So much of my life has been defined by the words of Joe Strummer and Mick Jones. It was, in fact, also the CD I listened to with my portable speaker (remember those?) the first time I ever hopped onto a train from Durham to go visit friends of mine who had moved down to London. Don't tell my dad, because I was 16 and he still thinks I was about to spend a few night at my mate David's house.

The final track on London Calling was originally a hidden, unnamed song. But it later was revealed to be known as "Train In Vain" and is one of the lasting hits from The Only Band That Mattered. But it has also become a phrase that comes to mind when I -- like all of us up north -- get our pass in line and begin the unthinkable wait to or from.

Is there anymore more maddening than sitting at the station in Durham or Darlington or Newcastle in a December morning, with the gloomy rain turning into ice, as you hear the muffled voice over the loudspeaker announcing yet another unfortunate delay? Or what about those rides back home from London or Birmingham or elsewhere? I promise this will be kept fit to print. But in 2006, me and my mates went down to London to see our beloved Sunderland take on Queens Park Rangers. We had a blast and more than just a few pints. We boarded the train home -- crowded, expensive, barely moving -- and not the type of place you want to be on when you realize you just had a pint or two too many. (I apologize to the old woman who sat across from me for those five hours.)

Passenger rails all across the United Kingdom aren't the best. Of course, of the defining issues of our time is the great divide between North and South. And, like most things in the UK, the trains get worse and worse the more north of London you go. My colleague and good chap Dr. James Webster pointed out earlier this year that it takes a shorter time to fly from London to Lisbon than it does to take a train from Newcastle to Liverpool.

Do you want to end that divide of the many across the UK who feel left behind? Who feel as if this country's essentially London and then everyone else? Getting serious about rails -- really and truly serious -- is the first step. That is why Labour has become so committed to the future of passenger rails in this country. And it is why I intend to make the funding of the Northern Powerhouse Rail Project not just my goal but as a personal priority -- and one that will remain so until it is completed.

It is also why I will be staging surgeries on train rides all throughout the month of November. I'll have my schedule posted on my website. Arrange through there or call the office. I'll save you a seat. We can talk about anything you'd like -- the trains, any issues that you feel that I can help you with, why "Lost In The Supermarket" is the track on the album yet "Clampdown" is somehow The Clash's best song.

After all, we'll have plenty of time together to dig into these issues.
Tabitha Kinsey, MP, Oxford West and Abingdon
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

GUITARS, FORCED IMPROV LESSONS AND LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
What's gotten into City of Durham MP Matty Bradford

Northern Echo
By Jennifer Bryant

Matty Bradford, the Labour MP for the City of Durham, spent the earliest part of his terms as a quiet backbencher focused on constituent services who never broke the party whip.

But over the past few months, Bradford has attempted to raise his profile nationally.

Most notably, this came with an unexpected vote against the Brexit deal followed by a shocking release stating he was now supportive of Leave Means Leave before complimenting UKIP firebrand Cosette Griffith along the way.

Following this headline move, Bradford further explained his reasoning via an article in The Guardian, in which he disclosed that his vote cost him a shadow cabinet seat that had been offered. Following this, he issued a release attempting to arrange a date between a constituent and celebrity host Paul Hollywood, another statement in support of shared paternal leave that mentioned his inability to produce a child along with thoughtful op-ed pieces peppered with references to his favourite albums, references to Channel 4 comedies, and personal anecdotes from his youth.

So, what explains all of this? A series of interviews with current and former staff, in addition to those who have known or worked with Bradford in different capacities, explains not just his sudden outburst but also details a workplace management style some find irritating and inconsistent. But some also mentioned a troubled family history and possible untreated issues with mental health that lurk in his personality.

All spoke on background to speak freely about the aspiring MP.

Bradford loves music, and his mentions and Tweets of his favorite Clash and Britpop songs are no lies, say those interviewed.

This stems from teenage years spent in tribute to Nick Hornby's High Fidelity as well as a discovery of punk music. Bradford, who describes himself as a half-talented guitarist, formed a band with school and university mates at the local university. Known as The Thames, the indie band released a single known as "Sheila Smiles" that received airplay on John Peele's popular BBC show and briefly entered the lower rung of the charts.

The Thames had started to open for nationally known bands before they called it a day -- and the person responsible was actress Kelly Macdonald who briefly dated Bradford before meeting Travis bassist Dougie Payne, whom she separated from in 2017.

"Even calling it briefly dated is a stretch," says one former band member. "It was a quick, drunken thing at one of our shows in London that she stumbled into. Matty at the time was very quick to go overboard with his emotions and feelings. He professed his love for her the next morning, and wrote 'Sheila Smiles' in her honour the same day. Afterwards, she told him that it was a mistake and gave him a harsh send-off. We released the song and had a date opening up for Travis lined up. But then news broke that she started dating Dougie, and Matty quit and we all followed suit. Not the first time he spiraled or acted rashly after a girl broke his heart."

Today, Bradford still plays guitar -- and possibly during inappropriate moments. Staffers state that he will frequently during meetings will stop to pick up an acoustic he keeps in office to serenade them with Oasis and Kinks covers where his staff feel pressured to listen and applaud him for his mostly unwanted interludes.

"He once had a surgery and told a constituent who was going through a local planning issue that it reminded him of Blur's 'Tender.' Matty then tried to figure out the song in front of this poor, poor man, who had to stay there for a 90 minutes before Matty gave up," said a former staff member.

Matty spent some time in the States studying US political economy and mirrored the staff of U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar. Members of her office frequently practiced 'teambuilding' tactics as a means to grow more comfortable with each other.

A noted comedy fan, Bradford has made a mandatory weekly 'improv jam' where staffers are required to perform improvisational comedy in the style of 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' While considered good natured, employees state that it's at times incredibly awkward -- especially when Bradford enthusiastically brings in an 'improvisational acting guru' whose teaching methods more resemble those of a New Age religious sect.

"Matty means well. But he's a huge fan of both ours and the American version of The Office. He has no idea at times how much he comes off like a cross between David Brent and Andy Bernard," another ex-staffer said comparing the MP to the obnoxious characters known for their incredible lack of self-awareness.

His self-awareness and earnestness that many find somewhat off-putting also led to his disclosure about his infertility that raised eyebrows and caused snickers in Westminster as well as with comedians.

"He had found out about his issues just a few days earlier after a visit to the doctor and let us all know about it as he certainly overshares many aspects of his life. He read the article in The Guardian and took it to heart and saw it as an issue he should speak out on. But as he formulated his statement, he kept on insisting to the press secretary that she include his remarks both in the release and in a social media post announcing it," said someone with knowledge of the statement. "She did not suggest to him that it carried with him the risk of embarrassment knowing that the office would get a big kick out of the response to it. It was all done with a bit of a smirk."

But one MP said that Bradford was not one to hold grudges for when his earnestness and management styles get the best of him.

"Plus, he's really embraced his interests as a way to make himself known nationally," the MP said. "It definitely stands out amongst his peers, and he truly does want to connect national issues in a way that regular people can relate to. Maybe it's not for everyone, but it does have a bit of charm to it, and it has resulted in good press and helps decipher some of the issues that we frequently make too complicated."

While those methods are certainly not everyone's cup of tea, everyone interviewed did say that Bradford is both intelligent, intellectually curious and is not afraid to admit to fellow MPs his inexperience but asks pointed questions that lead discussions.

After a few years of quiet to get his 'feet wet,' as he said, Bradford's burst of enthusiasm attracted him attention from Labour Party leader Emily Greenwood and others in the party who thought he had potential for a rise up the career ladder.

"Matty's a bit wide-eyed, but in a good way. We're all ambitious people obviously," says one Labour MP. "But he comes in with a humble approach. He asks a lot of questions -- emphasis on a lot. And while I think that he knows more than he lets on, I also think that him wanting to know our reasoning behind decisions and asking why we don't consider a counter approach makes for informed discussions. It might rub some the wrong way as he's been the most active in meetings and in statements recently, but it does have benefits."

However, Matty's shocking announcement in support of a Hard Brexit and compliments to a UKIP populist cost him the favour of the party, some of whom labelled him as 'mad' in both his decision and his decision to write an op-ed in The Guardian explaining himself.

"He's just by nature a very emotional guy. It's the same with his romantic life in the past -- he gets overly emotional and falls in love immediately or gets into a severe funk when things don't work out. It results in a song sometimes or to take off to Spain for a few weeks and walking out of a plum job opportunity," his former bandmate said. "Brexit's a very passionate topic for us all. Matty's heart got the best of him again, I think."

One in attendance with the meeting said that Bradford continued to appeal for the shadow cabinet slot he sought, and came off as begging when he was told it would be highly unlikely before realizing the writing on the wall.

"He learned a lesson the hard way," this source said. "Emily runs a tight ship, as she should. She'll definitely listen to arguments but she's the boss and going against the whip -- especially without disclosing you would before hand, and doubly if you acted so quickly without any thought behind it -- will cost you. As it should, and Matty seemed to have accepted that fact. He certainly has been shy in his statements about policy. He still has a future if he takes his medicine."

Bradford discussed in his op-ed piece his family's tragic past. His father, esteemed MP Matthew Bradford, had worked behind-the-scenes to help broker the Good Friday Agreement. In fact, Matthew's involvement in the process was not well-known to the public as he took a backseat to the 'bigger egos' involved to ensure the deal would be finalized.

But then, shortly after the agreement, Matthew's wife Eileen, her sister and her sister's two children were tragically killed in the infamous Omagh bombing during a trip to her family home.

This, longtime associates and family friends say, was a hugely devastating blow to Matty and his father.

"Matthew stepped down a little bit after that. And the reasons for doing so was because of his grief, and the thought that despite all of his hard work, he still lost the love of his life," a family friend said. "He never came back from that."

Sources state that Matthew suffers from clinical depression that was triggered by the bombing, and he has been placed under hospitalization several different times since under concerns that he may attempt to harm himself.

Matty, however, rarely -- if ever -- talked about mother's death during his childhood or even adulthood. Some of his staff and colleagues were even unaware of his family's history.

"His writing about the bombing and its effect on his decision making on Brexit was literally the first time he ever made mention of it," said someone who has known Bradford nearly since birth. "I don't agree with the decision, but I do think that it has clearly weighed on his mind for some time, and that it has shaped his views on many issues. But I don't think he's ever processed it, and that's led to some of his behaviour and awkwardness."

"I just really hope that he does actually get through this, because he's smart and wears his heart on his sleeve," the family friend said. "We're not shocked that he's become a MP. And we won't be shocked if this ends with him coming out of it with a broken heart because of how his emotions make his decisions before he's had time to think them through."
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

For The Northern Echo
Playgrounds, First Loves and Every Community Counting
Let's Save Our Play Areas
By Matty Bradford MP
City of Durham

I still remember the first time I saw Jenna McIntyre. It was the summer of 1997. I had just entered my Nick Hornby phase and left The Record Shoppe with a few discs. The stand-out in my eyes was 1997 by Ash, a pop-punk band from Northern Ireland best known for their classic teenage anthem "Girl From Mars." I walked past a local bookshop and stepped inside. And there she was - a year younger than me at the age of 15, her hair recently dyed jet black, the opposite of her pale skin, and devouring a copy of The Bell Jar.

I paused as I had never felt that way about a girl before. I had certainly liked girls, but this was different. She looked up from her book. I smiled. And she asked me - obscenities deleted - why I was staring at her. I stammered something back before telling her that I loved The Bell Jar, which of course I hadn't read. Thankfully she didn't quiz me on that fact, but I managed to convince her to meet me for a walk that evening.

On the walk, she told me her story -- she was from South London and staying for the summer in Durham with her auntie and uncle as her parents negotiated their divorce. By proximity to our nation's centre-of-everything, she was immediately cooler and more knowledgeable than me. But she still laughed at my attempt at jokes. Our walk ended at a Wharton Park. That's where I kissed her -- my first kiss. The next day, we went on the same walk and at the same bench, I gave her a mix tape I had made for her that led off with "Girl From Mars." We had a blast of a summer, which ended with me saying that I loved her, and promised to write when she returned to London. Of course we didn't.

This op-ed is not an attempt for me to rekindle a romance with Jenna. She's doing more-than-fine and lives in London now with her husband, two kids and has a high-ranking position in marketing with a bank I will not name.

Instead, this is an appeal for my fellow MPs and others throughout the nation to really consider the state of our country's parks and play areas. Wharton Park is still a beautiful patch of land. However, years ago, the Durham County Council had to close six playgrounds due to disrepair and a lack of funding available to make the badly needed fixes.

This problem is more severe throughout so much of the UK. A 2019 report from the Association of Play Industries states that a total of 347 playgrounds have been closed by local authorities since 2014. The reason behind the closures is simple -- federal government funding to local councils has dropped by 38% since 2009/2010 (says the Institute for Government). This prompts local governments to make tough choices when balancing budgets. Unfortunately, that results in playgrounds and play areas often getting the axe.

These cuts have consequences. We've made it a point to try and improve children's health in this nation. Running around outside and enjoying the swings or pretending to be the next Marcus Rushford carry so many benefits for a child's physical and mental health. It's how friendships are made. It's where communities are created. It's an integral part of our childhoods.

But when playgrounds are closed and left to rot? This just sets up a big, glowing sign to the criminally minded to set up shop -- a place to sell drugs or, gulp, try to take a knife to a rival's torso. Parents have to now travel a further distance to a play area and, for many, this may not be possible. And the site of rusted play equipment just also leads to a feeling of isolation and a thought that the federal government just does not care.

This is what we in Labour mean when we use the phrase Every Community Counts. It's not a mere slogan to be met with eyerolls by Conservatives. These problems -- playground closures, dodgy train travel, essentially non-existent bus availability -- all add up. Deprivation means more than poverty. It means a lack of access to not just the tangible such as healthcare but to the joys that make our lives so much happier.

Every child in this country deserves to have a play area located within walking distance of their front door. Every child should have the opportunity to meet sit on a bench with their own Girl From Mars and carry with them fond memories that will last forever.

Return to “The Papers”