Business, Transport, and Industry Questions

The most publicly-viewed, and least productive, part of the Parliamentarian's day when Ministers of the Crown are brought in front of the opposition and summarily raked over the coals. Of course, nothing is ever really asked and nothing is ever really answered, but it makes for good theatre.
Ege
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Truro and Falmouth
XP: 5
Trait(s): None
Discord username: Ege#5944

Re: Business, Transport, and Industry Questions

Post by Ege »

Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask the Secretary of State about Superfast Cornwall. Since the minister in charge is as useful as lips on a chicken. Will the government commit to the second phase of Superfast Cornwall is set to cost around 7.6 million and BT is willing to cover 1.23 million of it so the cost should be around 6.4 million to the government?
Locryn Chenoweth MP
Member for Truro and Falmouth (2015-present)
Doreen Henderson
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Hackney North and Stoke Newington
XP: 10
Discord username: Morgan#2072

Post by Doreen Henderson »

Mr Speaker,

The Minister for Technology was quite clear in his first answer that he supports the continued increase of fast broadband in rural communitites. What is happening now is the honourable member is making a mountain out of a molehill and is wasting Parliamentary times in asking the same question over and over again.
Doreen Henderson
Labour MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington (1987-Present)
Secretary of State for Business, Transport and Industry
Secretary of State for Diversity, Equality and Youth
James Whitelaw
Labour MP
Labour MP
XP: 0
Discord username: Kandler

Post by James Whitelaw »

Euan Urquhart wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:40 pm
James Whitelaw wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:11 pm
Euan Urquhart wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:04 pm Mr Speaker,

I find the answer that the Minister has referred to, to be entirely unsatisfactory. And his refusal to offer the most basic answers to the most basic of questions makes me question whether he is fit to sit on the frontbench at all. If the Government cannot be bothered to take its reserved powers seriously, then I am quite confident that my friend the First Minister of Scotland would be very happy to be given control of those powers.

I will try again Mr Speaker, and this time, I hope he will stop treating me, and other Members of Parliament from the Celtic nations with such rank discourtesy.

When will the Minister of State for Technology appear before the House of Commons to offer a statement on the roll out of superfast broadband to Scotland? It's a very simple question, and only requires him to name a rough date.
Mr Speaker,

The honourable gentleman is doing well to have been called so often by you, Mr Speaker, to ask the same question ad nauseam. I refer the member opposite once again to my previous answer.
Mr Speaker,

If I am asking the same question of the Minister, it is because he has as of yet refused to provide me with any answers. Indeed, he seems to hold Members of this elected House with so much contempt that he would rather spend time on a mobile device sending out publicly viewed abusive messages.

I have asked him three times about when he will come to the House to unveil plans for the roll out of superfast broadband in Scotland, each time he has refused, vacillated and acted contemptuously - I note his refusal to engage with the Hon. Member for Truro and Falmouth too.

So I shall change tack Mr Speaker, does he agree with me that it is the duty of Ministers of the Crown to treat Opposition MPs -at the very least- with some basic courtesy and good manners?
Mr Speaker, I am slightly confused by the honourable gentleman’s tack. In 2011, the SNP administration at Holyrood published a strategy document promising that “significant progress” towards next-generation broadband in Scotland would be made by 2015. The Scottish Government itself quoted a figure of £200 million to roll-out next generation broadband across Scotland completely by 2020, nearly 10% of which was funded directly by the UK Government. When the SNP’s former First Minister spends half a million pounds on a trip to see the Ryder Cup, it’s difficult to have any sympathy for the Nationalists if they’re now claiming they need more money.

As for respect and courtesy, yes I do agree with the honourable gentleman opposite. Respect and courtesy would ordinarily extend to refraining from making libellous allegations that a Minister is leaking from the Cabinet, as a vague example.
Rt Hon. James Whitelaw MP
Member of Parliament for Oxford East 1987-Present

Secretary of State for Defence 2007-2010
Brown
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Calder Valley
XP: 8
Discord username: Brown#6350

Post by Brown »

Mr. Speaker,

Will either the Minister or the Government be unveiling plans to nationalize industries outside of the manifesto that this Government won its mandate for?
Hildegard “Hilda” Brown
MP for Calder Valley (2010-) | Conservative
Host of Under the Hood with Hilda on Local Radio
Biography
Doreen Henderson
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Hackney North and Stoke Newington
XP: 10
Discord username: Morgan#2072

Post by Doreen Henderson »

Mr Speaker,

This will be last question for this department and I will state once again what members fail to actually listen to. Plans will be laid before the house when finalised.
Doreen Henderson
Labour MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington (1987-Present)
Secretary of State for Business, Transport and Industry
Secretary of State for Diversity, Equality and Youth