Business, Transport, and Industry Questions

The most publicly-viewed, and least productive, part of the Parliamentarian's day when Ministers of the Crown are brought in front of the opposition and summarily raked over the coals. Of course, nothing is ever really asked and nothing is ever really answered, but it makes for good theatre.
Tom Levy
Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
Constituency: Manchester Gorton
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: BarclayCalhoun#5933

Re: Business, Transport, and Industry Questions

Post by Tom Levy »

Brown wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:09 pm Mr. Speaker,

The Prime Minister's predecessor, the Rt. Hon. Member for Poplar and Limehouse, responded to a question of mine asking if the Government could give assurances that it would significantly increase investment in flood defenses in the United Kingdom, which are so vital to many businesses, by stating affirmatively that this Government would be making meaningful increases in investment in this vital area. Yet, the budget unveiled by the Government raises the spending for flooding defenses only modestly--an increase to meet inflation and little else. Has the Government yet again abandoned a promise it has made to the British People?
I refer the Hon. Lady to the answer I gave before the House some short time ago.
Rt. Hon. Tom Levy
MP for Manchester Gorton

"By the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone."
Brown
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Calder Valley
XP: 8
Discord username: Brown#6350

Post by Brown »

Tom Levy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:44 am
Brown wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:49 pm Mr. Speaker,

Given the rejection of the Government's deviation of its manifesto at its own party conference not long ago, will the Minister clarify whether or not this Government will stand fast in its desire to deviate not only from its manifesto, but the will of its own party members--or if it will u-turn from the promises made here before Parliament and in Her Majesty's Most Gracious Speech?
This Government is committed to fulfilling its mandate to the fullest and proving to the British people that it deserves a second, more fulsome mandate in a general election, Mr. Speaker.
Mr. Speaker,

I thank the Prime Minister for his answer, and admitting that this Government does not have have a mandate to proceed with nationalizing not in its manifesto and which were rejected by its own party members. With this acceptance in mind, will the Government be abandoning its plans to proceed with nationalizing industries not committed to in its recent manifesto during the life of this Parliament?
Hildegard “Hilda” Brown
MP for Calder Valley (2010-) | Conservative
Host of Under the Hood with Hilda on Local Radio
Biography
Tom Levy
Constituency: Manchester Gorton
XP: 0
Discord username: BarclayCalhoun#5933

Post by Tom Levy »

Mr. Speaker,

I do not intend to proceed with any nationalization which do not have behind them a popular mandate.
Rt. Hon. Tom Levy
MP for Manchester Gorton

"By the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone."