Conversion Therapy (Ban) Act 2021

Where the bills which wish to become law are first debated and discussed before they head to division.
Liam McMahon
Constituency: Wansbeck
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: TrashPotato

Conversion Therapy (Ban) Act 2021

Post by Liam McMahon »

Key provisions:
  • Conversion therapy is defined as "The practice of trying to change an individual's sexual orientation or gender identity using psychological, physical or intrusively spiritual interventions."
  • It is illegal to make a minor undergo conversion therapy
  • It is illegal to remove a minor from the United Kingdom for the purposes of conversion therapy
  • It is illegal to make someone undergo conversion therapy against their will
  • It is illegal to remove an individual from the United Kingdom for the purposes of conversion therapy against their will
  • It is illegal to advertise conversion therapy
  • It is illegal to profit from conversion therapy
  • Those found to be violating the provisions of the Conversion Therapy (Ban) Act 2021 must pay up to £3000 in compensation to victims and may receive a jail sentence of up to five years
  • The act applies to the United Kingdom and comes into provision on Royal Assent.
Kayla Gray
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Holborn & St Pancras
XP: 2
Discord username: Comrade Nathon

Re: Conversion Therapy (Ban) Act 2021

Post by Kayla Gray »

Mr Speaker,

As today is an Opposition day, time will be granted for debate on this bill
Kayla Gray MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Holborn & St Pancras (2015-)
Dan
A-team
A-team
Discord username: Dan

Post by Dan »

Mr Speaker,

I rise to support the Conversion Therapy Act.

The Lib Dems in 2015 overwelmingly voted to oppose conversion therapy for all LGBT+ people at our conference and we stand in solidarity with the cross party group of MPs who formulated this legislation.

Let me be clear, conversion therapy does nothing to help alleviate gender dysphoria, as evidence as suggested, it just helps to drive people back into the closet. Conversion therapy does nothing but make people psychologically miserable and presents a clear and present serious risk to life.

Alongside this legislation, we call on the health industry who has a part to play to do more against this dangerous and discredited practice. Through educational awareness and public health campaigns alongside this bill we can better educate people that conversion therapy of any form is wrong.

I would like to ask my honourable friend one question on this bill, regarding the provision around those who violate the act; can the member tell the house why the sum of £3000 in compensation and also why the suggested term length of the jail sentence? Of course we fully support that those who violate this act should face the full weight of the law , either at her majesty's pleasure for a long period of time, a large fine or both, but can he tell the house has he consulted with any organisations or charities who may have recommended the suggested time or financial limit in this bill?
Liam McMahon
Constituency: Wansbeck
Discord username: TrashPotato

Post by Liam McMahon »

Mr. Speaker,

I start my speech off more thankful than I have been in my life for this momentous opportunity that the House has. I want to firstly thank the Labour leadership, who have ensured this bill would be debated. I want to thank the Liberal Democrats for their support. And I'd further like to thank the Prime Minister, Chancellor, Home Secretary and Defence Secretary who have all offered support in some capacity. This has truly been a cross party effort and it's made me feel even prouder of my country than I already did - that, I want to assure the House, is an immense achievement in itself.

The drawbacks of conversion therapy have probably been raised to the House multiple times. It is a barbaric practice that has been recognised as torturous and inhumane. Some Members on the government benches have said they "don't see what the fuss is about"n - they must not hear stories of LGBT youth forced to vomit, be forced to undergo electrocution or forced to undergo public exorcisms all because they, to many, love the wrong person. It sounds so extreme as to be a fiction, but government statistics make it clear it doesn't just exist: it is not a rarity, with up to 5% of LGBT people having been offered the practice. It is time they too follow in the lead of their leaders in recognising this practice is wrong, and that the state therefore must act to prevent it.

While we've come so far in this country on the front of LGBT rights thanks to the hard work of equalities Ministers in this country of many parties, but too many people still do not understand the weight being LGBT carries on your mind, your heart and your soul in modern Britain. They do not understand the hesitance to hold your partners' hands in public. They do not understand the playground jeers. They do not understand the constant monitoring of your own behaviour, lest the wrong person in the room who hates you for your sexuality be in the room.

I am not speaking as an ally, Mr. Speaker, but as somebody who understands that on a personal level and has carried my sexuality too often like it is a burden when it should be a source of pride. Today, as we creep ever closer to pride month, I want to make it clear that changes for myself.

But even when I come from a party that has championed LGBT rights, with constituents who I know would support me for being who I am, we know too many people in modern Britain see being LGBT as a source of shame. I have often felt that. Because of that vocal minority, while open to family friends, I too often found myself guarded with my constituents and countrymen about my private life. It is hard not to internalise that shame as I have. But I am here to let anyone LGBT watching, especially young people, that this is not the case. You are valued and valid, and today this House wants to make it clear that those who wish to say otherwise - even if they seek to disguise it under medical, psychiatric or even spiritual pretences, that this is not the case.

Conversion therapy is widely recognised as barbaric. It is a practice condemned by our NHS, by the BPS, by the BMA and by every respected expert. There is no such thing as 'harmless' conversion therapy: it has long term and deep rooted psychological effects on those forced to undergo it. The medical community has united against it. It is time this House and country do too.

However, I wish to stress to people of faith watching today that this bill is not designed to prevent them from praying in the way they have always done. The wording is specifically designed to avoid such unwanted consequences. So too will it ensure the those who are questioning are able to seek council and have open and frank discussions with those offering pastoral support. Under this legislation, only spiritual or medical interventions that are clearly designed to be harmful and demeaning to LGBT youth will be criminalised.

I want to stress that ensuring such provisions were in place was the result of much cross party work. That includes the criminal provisions, which were put to the at the time Liberal Democrat representative. So to the Honourable Lady, I'd stress that while LGBT sources such as Stonewall have been vital sources of information in the formation of this bill, a lot of the bill was also drafted together with the virtues of compromise and grit. The penalties are no different. We have set punishments which are primarily victim centred, but given judges the leniency to look at scenarios on a case by case basis and I trust the justice system to do so effectively.

Mr. Speaker, after years of relentless campaigning from LGBT activists, I truly feel a day that we can be proud of is right in front of us. It is a day where we'll make clear every Briton, regardless of where they come from and who they love, will be treated as valid by this country and its government. It is a bare minimum, but it is one hard fought for and - with the input of all parties - it is one that I know will come. I present this bill to this House as a very proud Briton and a proud gay man, and commend it to the House.
Grant Kingston
Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
Constituency: Finchley and Golders Green
Discord username: GrantK#5604

Post by Grant Kingston »

Thank you Mr. Speaker,

I will rise briefly to weigh in on this debate. I just want to say that I fully support this bill, and it's purpose. A fantastic speech from the bill's proposer, the Member for Wansbeck, and I can't add much more myself that he hasn't already said. The medical community are against conversion therapy, there is virtually no credible evidence to suggest it works, and as a firm believer in ridding our society of what is essentially pseudoscience, I will be joining the Honourable Gentleman in the lobby to support this bill's passage through this House.
Rt. Hon. Grant Kingston MP
Prime Minister for the United Kingdom (April 2020-Present)
Member of Parliament for Finchley and Golders Green (May 2010-Present)

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets (September 2012-May 2015)
Minister of State for Small Business, Industry and Enterprise (May 2015-July 2016)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (July 2016-January 2018)
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (January 2018-April 2019)
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (January 2020-April 2020)
Kayla Gray
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Holborn & St Pancras
XP: 2
Discord username: Comrade Nathon

Post by Kayla Gray »

Thank you Mr Speaker,

Firstly, I would like to thank my friend the Member for Wansbeck for bringing this bill before the house. He is absolutely right in saying that conversion therapy is a barbaric practice and is right to recognise that we, as a country, have come a long way on the rights of LGBT people, including the repealing of Section 28 in 2003 and the legalisation of same-sex marriage in England and Wales which came into effect in 2014. We can be proud of our country’s record on LGBT rights in recent decades, but we do have some way to go, and this bill is a massive step in the right direction.

Conversion therapy is an abhorrent practice and one that must be banned, as this bill sets out. The accounts recited by my honourable friend of what young members of the LGBT community have experienced in this despicable practice are a source of shame that many still, unfortunately, believe this is an acceptable response to someone expressing themselves for who they are and loving who they naturally love. I hope those who “don’t see what the fuss is about” reconsider their position and what they have said and replicate the position of their party leader, the Prime Minister, in pledging their support to this bill.

Homosexuality is natural, that is something that we all must make clear. Homophobia, along with all other forms of discrimination, is something that cannot be condoned by our country as a tolerant 21st-century society. I hope that members across this house will echo the point that we must ensure inclusivity to people no matter who they love, where they come from, what faith they believe in or what the colour of their skin is. We must ensure that our society is accepting of all, and discriminates against no one.

I urge all members of this house, as representatives of the people of Britain, to demonstrate the inclusiveness and accepting nature of our country by voting for this bill and ending this abhorrent practice.
Kayla Gray MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Holborn & St Pancras (2015-)

Return to “Second & Third Reading”