M-1: Motion of No Confidence in Her Majesty's Government

Failed bill and motions live here for eternity.
Grant Kingston
Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
Constituency: Finchley and Golders Green
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: GrantK#5604

Re: M-1: Motion of No Confidence in Her Majesty's Government

Post by Grant Kingston »

Thank you, Mr Speaker!

I want to take this opportunity to appeal to the House today. I won't stand here and wax lyrical about all the good this party has done for the past nine years, and weigh that up against the opposition we have received in said time. We must get straight to the point and look at what we are really considering here today.

The deadline for a Brexit trade deal is hanging over this House, Her Majesty's Government, and the good people of the United Kingdom, and soon the hammer will fall. While the people up and down Britain, the workers, businesses, wait anxiously to find out what sort of deal, and exit our great nation will take from the European Union, we are wasting precious time in nothing more than opportunism and stalling.

Mr Speaker, if this vote passes we will further eat up the little time we have left to negotiate our trade deal with Europe. We will be forced to go back to the polls, run a month long campaign, then have to go through all the procedure of reopening Parliament, settling in new MPs, and getting organised for the new Parliament for the next five years after. On top of that, if the polls are anything to go by, we will see another Hung Parliament, which will eat even more time as parties try to reach coalition deals to prop up a Government. This is a major waste of time, all in the name of political opportunism by the outgoing Leader of the Opposition, and it is sad to see the candidates to replace him support this time killer motion. One candidate, the Member for Southampton Test, is right that there are issues outside of Brexit we do need to focus on, however the future of this country, and all issues currently ride on how our exit from the EU results, as it is the dominating issue of the political sphere today. We must solve it before we can return to normal business. Meanwhile the other candidate, the Member for Workington, has went for a puzzling tactic of saying these debates are just soundbiting, and then presented a speech of soundbites. I struggle to decided if this is opportunism, or sabotage.

We are wasting time Mr Speaker! This country hinges on the Brexit trade deal we achieve, and this opportunism is holding us back, a potential election from this vote will just hold us back even further. The public want Brexit sorted once and for all, and this is not helping. The public, workers, and businesses do not have the time, and their patience is running out with this entire House.

I beg that every Member of this House sees sense, and doesn't vote with their feet. We must put aside party politics, and work together to get the right deal here for the UK. We need to sort the giant European matter at hand, and then come back to discussions like this – it is our duty to our constituents. This motion is nothing more than a hindrance, rather than a help. Time is ticking on!
Rt. Hon. Grant Kingston MP
Prime Minister for the United Kingdom (April 2020-Present)
Member of Parliament for Finchley and Golders Green (May 2010-Present)

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets (September 2012-May 2015)
Minister of State for Small Business, Industry and Enterprise (May 2015-July 2016)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (July 2016-January 2018)
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (January 2018-April 2019)
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (January 2020-April 2020)
Eva Phillips
Constituency: Barking

Post by Eva Phillips »

Mr Speaker,

Is the Right Honourable Member for Finchley and Golders Green really suggesting that this House be held hostage and that we do not have the right to hold debates on any issue until the Withdrawal Agreement is passed? This is symptomatic of the attitude of the government Mr Speaker and clear evidence why this motion must pass. For the past nine years, the people of this country have been subjected to austerity that has culminated in some of the most appalling shortfalls in education, public health and in particular, social care. Britain needs swift resolutions to the crises inflicted upon it by the Conservative Party and yet it can't even get a commitment to approach the issues because Brexit must take priority in all things.

In this debate, members from these benches have raised problems our constituents face on a daily basis which for many are now so dire and so severe that they simply cannot manage any longer. I am sure we are all familiar with letters from constituents asking why schools are now so poorly funded that teachers are begging parents to contribute basics such as pencils and toilet paper. I know for a fact we are all familiar with constituents who cannot get social care funding for their elderly relatives who are stuck in limbo waiting for an urgently needed care plan to be agreed. And I am positive that we have all seen the shocking stories of our disabled constituents forced to grovel to the DWP for financial assistance unfairly cut and so desperately needed.

The Right Honourable Gentleman makes no mention of any of these problems in his contribution today. Indeed, we have yet another diatribe on Brexit which is now nothing more than a smokescreen for Tory disinterest. If the government is incapable of dealing with more than one issue at a time, then it is high time they made way for a party that can. The Withdrawal Agreement is not the end of the Brexit saga Mr Speaker, it is only the beginning of a process that even the most hardline of Brexiteers agree could take as long as a decade to stabilise. Is the Right Honourable Member for Finchley and Golders Green asking my constituents to wait a decade before this government will even begin to address their urgent concerns? Surely Mr Speaker, this is yet another example of Tory incompetence and one more reason to support this motion?
Eva Phillips MP
Member of Parliament for Barking (1997 - )
Shadow Cabinet Minister for Mental Health and Social Care (2010 - 2015)
Grant Kingston
Constituency: Finchley and Golders Green
Discord username: GrantK#5604

Post by Grant Kingston »

Mr Speaker, I feel the Member for Barking is trying to warp the overall meaning of my speech I made to the House. I never once suggested that this House be held hostage, rather quite the opposite. I'm saying we must get over this European hurdle, so we can get back to other pressing issues. The people of the UK are sick to the back teeth of hearing about Brexit, an issue that has utterly dominated our media and political sphere since 2016 and beyond - an issue that has dominated like no other in recent times.

As for speaking for the Government, she should know I no longer hold a seat in Cabinet, I speak as a backbencher, and as a servant to the people of Finchley and Golders Green now. And I share her concern for the issues of constituents that lie beyond Brussels; my constituents have come to me with such problems and I would dare any Member of this House to stand before us and say I don't take them into consideration because I'm too occupied with Brexit. Likewise I don't think this party, as my colleagues in this House have pointed out today, while in Government has sat around talking about the EU for nine years, it has worked hard to achieve economic recovery, and a stronger Britain.

While she has a go at me for producing more "diatribe", she is blinded in political point scoring and doing the same - much like the speech earlier from the Member for Workington. It's the typical Labour diatribe of "The Evil Tories", and we can sit here and argue who's Punch, and who's Judy all day, but the public are bored of it. We need to get on with it. And my question back to her is that does she really think that another election, another Hung Parliament will solve anything for the issues she has raised, and her constituents? Or will it just be more status quo? Let's get on with it Mr Speaker!
Rt. Hon. Grant Kingston MP
Prime Minister for the United Kingdom (April 2020-Present)
Member of Parliament for Finchley and Golders Green (May 2010-Present)

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets (September 2012-May 2015)
Minister of State for Small Business, Industry and Enterprise (May 2015-July 2016)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (July 2016-January 2018)
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (January 2018-April 2019)
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (January 2020-April 2020)
Eva Phillips
Constituency: Barking

Post by Eva Phillips »

Mr Speaker,

I do not need to warp the meaning of the Right Honourable Gentleman's speech, he not only made his intention clear in this House but then issued a statement to the press in which he repeated his mantra that Brexit is the only issue he feels is a priority and that any motion or debate which isn't related to delivering Brexit is, in his words, a waste of time. I am suggesting that the Right Honourable Gentleman ask his constituents who are waiting for real solutions to the problems they didn't have nine years ago - but have today - whether they feel that is the attitude a government, or indeed an MP, should have? He dares me to stand and say I believe that the Tory pre-occupation with Brexit is inflicting damage on the people of this country; I am happy to do so.

Now I shall agree with him, the Government did not sit around talking about the EU for nine years. They spent the first five years inflicting the most brutal of cuts on the poor and vulnerable, they spent another year debating how best to steal back UKIP votes, they spent a year tearing the country apart with divisive disinformation about the European Union and they have spent the years since arguing among themselves how best to implement something they once said would be easy as pie. A stronger Britain Mr Speaker? Is Britain stronger with 165,000 disabled people subjected to inhumane cuts to their benefit? Is Britain stronger with 16% of pensioners now living in poverty who were not living in poverty when this government took office? Is Britain stronger with 2.8 million children living in absolute poverty? This isn't a stronger Britain Mr Speaker, it's a broken Britain ruled by a party more concerned with polls and headlines than it is the real problems affecting the working people of this country.

The Right Honourable Gentleman asks me if I believe another election is worthwhile. He asks me I believe another Hung Parliament will solve any of the issues I have raised. It's quite bold of the Right Honourable Gentleman to assume the result of such an election would be a Hung Parliament but I am happy to answer his questions. The people of this country have the right to a government which is competent, which is capable and which is compassionate. The Conservative Party fails all three of these tests. Was the Government competent when it was forced to do backroom deals with the DUP to stay in power? Was the Government capable when the only issue they wanted to talk about was Brexit despite rises in poverty? Was the Government compassionate when it was busy creating the hostile environment? To coin a phrase I'm sure they'll understand; No, No, No.

And that's the only time I'll be quoting that woman in this House, I can promise you that.

Mr Speaker, the Right Honourable Gentleman displays a contempt for the British people. They can't have the investment in public services they need until we do as we're told on Brexit. But more than this, they can't be trusted to give the Tories another majority so the Tories run from the challenge of defending their record. As well they might Mr Speaker. If it were my party's record, I should hang my head in shame.
Eva Phillips MP
Member of Parliament for Barking (1997 - )
Shadow Cabinet Minister for Mental Health and Social Care (2010 - 2015)
Sir Dylan Macmillan
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: North East Bedfordshire
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Sir Dylan Macmillan »

Division! Clear the Lobbies.

(For game reasons there will be no division)
Sir Dylan Macmillan
MP for North East Bedfordshire 2001 - Present

Shadow Chancellor 2016
Chancellor 2015
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 2014 - 2015
Leader of the House of Commons 2012 - 2014
Secretary of State for International Development 2010 - 2012
Conservative Party Chairman 2008 - 2010
Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury 2005 - 2008

Return to “Failed Legislation and Motions”