Press Office of Matty Bradford

Your opportunity to communicate with your adoring public.
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Oxford West & Abingdon
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: comphelphelp

Press Office of Matty Bradford

Post by Theresa Major »

Press Office of Matty Bradford, Member of Parliament for City of Durham

For all media inquiries, contact my Press Secretary Rebecca Jameson
Tabitha Kinsey, MP, Oxford West and Abingdon
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Re: Press Office of Matty Bradford

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD VISITS LOCAL RECORD SHOP TO RAISE AWARENESS OF STRUGGLES OF HIGH STREETS

MP Matty Bradford today visited "The Record Shed" in Durham and made the following remarks about the status of High Streets throughout the UK.

"I have nothing but fond memories of The Record Shed as it was here as a youngster where I learned my love of music. It was here where I bought 'London Calling' by The Clash and The Who poster that adorned my bedroom wall and, I must admit, still does so to this day. And it was here where I also bought a copy of one of my favorite albums, 'The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society.'

There was nothing quite like coming to The Record Shed with my mates and finding our favorite records and then getting takeaway from The Spice Lounge right across the street and sitting on a bench discussing what girls we had crushes on and what girls we would make mix tapes for and what girls would eventually break our hearts. But I am not here today to reveal my own personal version of 'High Fidelity' and discuss my Top 5 heartbreaks, although I am proud to report that my number three Victoria Duckworth stated she considered voting for me last election but did not confirm she did so.

Instead, I am here today to raise awareness to the plight of High Streets throughout our great nation. Stores like The Record Shed must compete against Spotify and chain stores and a myriad of economics issues that make it difficult for a niche industry geared for sad sack music fans such as myself to continue. I am certainly guilty of enjoying a PERi-PERi sandwich from Nando's, but each time I do so I remind myself that comes at the expense of small restaurants like The Spice Grill, which already have small margins and struggle to compete against large chains and their economies of scale.

I am not here to further adjudicate Brexit. But I am here to stress that our locally owned shops already struggle enough in the modern economy. Now they must also face an unclear future in a globalized economy where people and goods are all interconnected. Case in point: The owners of The Record Shed may have sourced an original copy of the debut Kraftwerk album located in Frankfurt, a record they could have no doubt found any willing number of buyers for who would be willing to pay a steep price for album of such great importance to the history of electronic music. Not being in the EU now means there will be different trade rules in place, and these rules can make it harder for The Record Shed or The Spice Grill to compete in this ever changing world.

We must do more to protect our High Streets to help them retain the character that makes our nation so special and so unique. I and the rest of Labour intend to study ways we can help our local shoppes as part of the excellent plan for a new economy detailed by my good friend Dr. James Webster. As Ray Davies so eloquently wrote in the lead track on the aforementioned Kinks album, and that I knowingly am misquoting a bit: We must preserve the old ways from being abused to protect the new ways for me and for you."
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD EXPLAINS NO VOTE ON LATEST BREXIT DEAL AND ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR HARD BREXIT

Today, I voted against the latest Brexit deal. I had intended up until the debate began to vote in favour of it. However, the explanation that came from a certain MP against it swayed my mind. It pains me to say who as a proud member of Labour and a strident Remainer. I will share this person's identity now, knowing that it will raise eyebrows and give me some risk amongst certain voters.

But this person's identity is Cosette Griffith, the UKIP MP from Boston & Skegness as her arguments clearly laid out the reasoning as to why this bill should be strongly voted down.

Now, first, I wish to state -- to CLEARLY state -- that I am far opposed from UKIP and Ms. Griffith's views on immigration. And I am especially appalled at the tone and language and ugly attitudes that party espouses towards Britons who were born elsewhere. The cultural and economic benefits of immigration to the United Kingdom are infinite and immeasurable.

Second, I also will fess up that I have an advanced degree from the London School of Economics and spent a large part of my professional career working as a researcher and writer for various think tanks. I love the subject of economics. However, I do know that many -- if not most, if not nearly everyone alive -- find the subject matter incredibly confusing and frustrating. I have written at length about EU fisheries policies and have even bored myself to death in doing so.

That is why the immigration debate has become the talking point it has become. It is something that everyone can understand.

The arguments at the heart of the Brexit debate was about how a majority of UK voters decided that they wanted us to determine our policies on immigration to the UK -- that they wanted their elected officials to make these determinations independent of Brussels or elsewhere. As this bill currently stands, we will not have that right to determine our own immigration policies. We will adhere to the set migration policies of the EFTA and the Single Market, which allows for the free movement of residents of its member countries.

This is flatly not what the majority of the UK population voted for.

You can thus extrapolate that into the dismal science of similar economics policies. We adhere to already set rules in place. Now, I believe in the benefits of free movement of goods. But, again, the majority of the voters did not want this. They, rightly or wrongly, voted to separate ourselves from the political body of the EU. But, unfortunately, you cannot separate politics from trade -- as the course of history has entirely shown. We chose to no longer have a voice in the politics that shape European trade, but in our attempt to stay in the single market, we will have that voice dictated to us.

I thoroughly understand the ramifications of a hard Brexit. It will sew chaos. It will hurt the value of our currency and instill volatility and opens up a Pandorra's box for other imaginable possibilities. It will be incredibly painful both economically and existentially knowing we are undoing much good.

But we must keep in mind that the United Kingdom has been a gloriously successful country for literally thousands of years. The European Union did not get its official start until 1993. Great Britain has shown throughout the course of its history - via our stiff upper lip and our foresight and ambition and respect for the citizens of the globe - that we know how to do things ourselves.

As stated before, I abhor UKIP's attitude towards immigration. That aforementioned clean state gives us a chance to write immigration on our terms, and I believe strongly that I and those that agree with me will make an argument on immigration and trade and elsewhere that voters will endorse and we will shout down those that have the ugliest of views.

But I greatly admire Ms. Griffith's ability to connect with the Brits in the pubs and the women in the shoppes as to why they should have voted for Brexit, and why a hard Brexit is the best course of action. Those of us who voted to Remain and those that want some convoluted backdoor "some of column A, some of column B" solution to this) have not been able to communicate this to the people we represent. They see this bill and similar options as a confusing mess that leaves us not where they wanted to go.

That is why I voted no.

And that is why I owe Cosette Griffith a public apology. I wish that I had not dismissed her and UKIP's arguments on how we should make policies - not their hoped for policies, but how they are decided. Because, if this bill does get passed, my words will carry no weight.

But I, a Labour Remainer, have come to believe that Leave Means Leave and we should have a hard Brexit.

Thank you.

God Save The Queen
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

AN APPEAL FROM MATTY BRADFORD TO THE GREAT BRITISH BAKEOFF HOST PAUL HOLLYWOOD ON BEHALF OF CONSTITUENT GRETCHEN ANDERSON

"Dear Mr. Hollywood:

I, like most, if not all right-thinking individuals, am a big fan of the wildly popular Great British Bakeoff, as well as 2017's Big Continental Road Trip. Many congratulations on your well-deserved success.

At a recent surgery, I was approached by a constituent named Gretchen Anderson. As you know, at most surgeries constituents address issues of importance to their lives, and we go about ways to try and fix these problems. But Ms. Anderson attended the surgery to ask me if I knew you, how well I knew you, and if I could put in a good word with you as she is single and, quote-unquote, could have your shoes at the foot of her bed anytime you desired.

Ms. Anderson is a lovely woman. She's 49-years-old and owns a retail shoppe in Durham that sells clothing and other products made in Tibet. Her hobbies include teaching yoga, Peloton, cooking Indian food and visiting her younger sister who moves to a new country ever two years and refuses to settle down already.

Aside from your work, her favorite programs are Briderton, Luther, Friends and Friday Night Dinner, which is one of my favorites. She's also a football fan and partial to Sunderland.

Sadly, she's been widowed for some time as her husband passed away from leukemia around 10 years ago. But this prompted her to start volunteering at the local hospital here in the oncology ward, where she devotes much of her time. In fact, her closest friend was a patient at the hospital whom she tended to. After her recovery, they became best friends and incredibly close.

Ms. Anderson is a delightful woman with a magnetic charm who lights up every room she walks into. It's probably not proper for me to comment on her appearance, but she's objectively quite striking and could be Jennifer Garner's long-lost twin sister.

I am issuing this statement on her behalf and with not just her permission but with eagerness as she is literally watching me and my press secretary draft this release. Please reach out to my office if you'd like me to arrange a chat or meeting with one of your most devoted and lovelist of fans.

Sincerely,
Matty Bradford MP
City of Durham
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

MATTY BRADFORD ADDRESSES THE FUTURE OF CHANNEL FOUR

"I still remember staying at home the one night in college with my mates. I won't divulge what we did beforehand, but we were sitting on a couch in our crowded Durham apartment with a lot of snack food at the ready when we put on Channel Four. It was the debut episode of something called Da Ali G show, and we fell over in laughter in tears after Borat took his lesson about the details about English culture.

In the recent broadcast bill, the Conservatives intended to hawk off Channel Four via an IPO. Thankfully, my good friend Ashton Edwards managed to have that stricken from the bill. But as we know, nothing is ever off the table in politics.

Channel Four is an indelible part of British culture and our way of life. It makes us a better people. No show informs or influences more than Dispatches. Comedies like Ali G reflect a mirror about our nation and its pretentions while others like the delightful Friday Night Dinner show the importance of family, especially in the attempt to move a couch with the assistance of a stranger.

All of these are made possible because of the unique structure of Channel Four which, as pointed out, manages its finances without expense to anyone. But an IPO would require it to meet the demands of shareholders -- large financial entities bent on profitability at all costs or perhaps a sovereign wealth fund of a nation with image problems. The pressures of the alleged "free market" would take away so much of what we've come to love about Channel Four and its role in shaping our lives, and for the better.

Example: Would there be any way in hell that a TV executive whose career depends on short-term financial success would take a risk and hiring the production company behind Father Ted? (Although a show about a TV executive whose career depends on the short-term financial success demanded by a soulless hedge fund having to make a determination about an edgy comedy would in itself be a great edgy comedy, if anyone wants to take a pitch meeting!)

Channel Four must always remain as is!
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD TO HOST SURGERIES ON TRAIN RIDES TO HIGHLIGHT NEED FOR RAIL IMPROVEMENTS

Today, Matty Bradford announced that he will host surgeries with constituencies on train rides throughout the month of November as a way to both discuss the issues impacting locals as well as to highlight the desperate need to invest in railways throughout the UK.

"I frequently take the train back and forth from Durham to London. And, as anyone who has taken that journey knows, the alleged three-hour ride oftentimes takes longer or faces major delays. The east-west routes are also more inconsistent. None of these even considers the expenses of taking trips on our rails. Since I spend so much time on the rails -- and unplanned time -- I will be conducting surgeries with constituencies during my rides during November. I'll be posting the times of my rides on my website and will gladly encourage any and all constituents on these trips to sign up ahead of time so we can talk about the issues of importance to you.

But one issue that I frequently do discuss is the terrible condition of our rail system. It's a major drain on our economy and also furthers the north-south divide. Human capital is the most important type of capital. Improved passenger rail service can make it possible for, say, a citizen of Durham or Sunderland to take a flight out of Manchester airport to meet with a potential business partner in Madrid.

Plus, it's also just bloody annoying, as any grandparents awaiting their grandkids to who are away to uni in London to come home for the holidays knows as they constantly check the trains for rides that may never arrive.

Our Shadow Budget showed Labour's commitment in investing in rail -- a huge increase that would improve not just the rails but the lives of Britons everywhere. It's something that's badly needed, and when we hopefully have a new government in place will come to fruition.

In the meantime, please find me sitting in my seat awaiting to hear your thoughts on the trains and whatever is on your mind."
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD RELEASES STATEMENT ON STRUGGLES WITH SHARED PARENTAL LEAVE REPORT

"I rejoice at the news anytime any of my friends gives birth to a child. Sadly, I will likely never be able to do so as my seed is not potent enough. But the birth of a child is always a blessed event that brings both a tear to my eye and sunshine to my heart, and it's one that I'll never be verile enough to understand on my own.

The benefits of having both parents be able to spend the earliest days of their child's life together are immeasurable. That is why the alarming report from Maternity Action about the disturbingly low amount of couples applying to use Shared Paternal Leave is something that must be addressed immediately.

We must increase the statutory minimum pay for both parties in a couple to reduce the pay gap in order to entice more couples to take this option that can help newborn children get off to the start that they deserve. Further, the burdens of caring for a child under the current system are unfairly shifted solely onto the shoulders of women. These outdated gender norms limit the ability of women to thrive in today's modern economy. An improved Shared Parental Leave scheme allows women, if they choose, to reenter the workforce more quickly.

I congratulate the wonderful people at both Maternity Action and Working Families in casting this issue to the light it deserves. It's something I'll ensure gets looked at for the benefits it will provide all Britons."
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD ISSUES REMARKS ON POOR BUS TRAVEL THROUGHOUT MUCH OF THE UK

My favorite comedy of the past few years, and maybe ever, is This Country. It's a mockumentary about the life of cousings Kerry and Kurtain Mucklowe, two residents of The Cotswolds and their misadventures. They are not wealthy tourists with guest cottages. They have sparse employment and are somehow both perfect and exaggerated examples of the isolation that many across the UK endure -- and a perfect example of the true meaning behind the meaning of Every Community Counts.

One of my favorite episodes is the Season 2 classic "Minor Injuries." In one half of the story, Kurtain plans to head to Swindon to go to TK Maxx to "get the bargains he deserves." He has no car, which requires him to take a bus. But this proves impossible and leaves him only able to get clothing he deems second-tier at a later date.

While a great bit of comedy, the frustrations Kurtain feels are all-too-real to people throughout much of the UK -- especially for those of us who live far from London. Many communities only have a handful of routes, and buses only arrive infrequently with timetables more of an educated guess instead of a firm schedule. Costs are also a factor, as fares are expensive in many regions. It's also nearly impossible to change routes between separate operators.

The reasons for our horrid bus system is simple. Decades ago, Maggie Thatcher (of course) decided to privatize the system. Private enterprise naturally have flocked to own routes that were the most profitable -- cities and large urban centres. Local councils in underserved and rural areas are responsible for subsidizing these routes. Local councils throughout the UK have suffered from austerity and face significant budgeting challenges, with funding for bus routes getting the axe.

We've suffered through this here in the Northeast. According to the Campaign for Better Transport, local council funding for bus routes in my home region dropped by around 50% from 2009-2010 to 2018-2019. While we are leading the pack (a category we do not wish to lead), these cuts are seen all throughout the country.

This has dire results for so many throughout the UK. Our current bus system limits employment opportunities for those without cars. It prevents people from having access to healthcare or an enjoyable day at a High Street. And it just leads to a sense of malaise and isolation -- a paralyzing fear for many that they'll always remain distant to the rest of the UK, which can also lead to resentment and a divide between our population.

Plus, there are also environmental harms caused by our terrible bus system as the current cure for the above listed problems is for rural and underserved residents to purchase cars. This comes right at a time when we're allegedly doing all we can to achieve net zero emissions. A shoddy bus system that moves people into using cars in order to travel long distances runs counter to that purpose.

This is what we mean when we state that Every Community Counts. These issues aren't as sexy as bigger picture topics. They don't get the same level of attention. However, nod addressing these issues tells the many people who do not live in densely population areas that they do not matter -- that where they chose to live is not worth it to private enterprise, and that already stretched local councils must foot the bill to try and make ends meet.

Every Community Counts is far more than a slogan. Taking it seriously as opposed to dismissing it leads to a better UK for all, as opposed to a better UK for the already thriving.

Also, for those curious, I will NOT be holding surgeries on bus routes as riding buses tends to make me car sick. I'll spare you the details.
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD COMMENTS ON UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM'S 'CONNECTING DOTS' OUTREACH TO NEARBY DEPRIVED AREAS

One of the great songs in the British pantheon is Pulp's "Common People." This details the journey of a tourist who wants to see what to see the lives of struggling working-class Brits. I myself in many times have felt like this kind of tourist, having grown up the son of a MP who also doubled as a professor at the University of Durham. And I came from enough privilege to attend the same university before going on to study at the London School of Economics. However, I've tried in my professional career to be more than some tourist who thinks it's all a laugh when finding out about how people struggle to pay their bills. I understand that at an elected official I have some degree of power to make change for people who face barriers to improving their lives.

I know that many of the students at the University of Durham, as well as faculty, feel the same as I do. Students there are committed to bettering the world. Volunteering and outreach programs do make a difference. But there's so much more that goes to making a difference in helping the people who want it - not just need it, but truly want it -- the most.

We often hear about the need to develop skills in a workforce. This, too often, is coded language that means, "the poor are that way for a reason." But we never consider that those who are fortunate enough, like myself, to attend universities need to develop their skills to learn how to use businesses or NGOs and act as responsible managers that can find ways to employ and work with those in need.

That is why I'm pleased to announce that I am chairing the University of Durham's new 'Connecting Dots' program that will first link faculty and administrators with leaders in deprived areas throughout the NorthEast consisting of elected local council members, economic development officials, clergy, managers of local programmes, and business owners. These meetings will help the faculty and administration develop an action plan that will help develop coursework and opportunities for students and researchers to not just develop their skills in their chosen disciplines, but to develop their skills that they can use to help improve the lives of people in nearby communities.

Consider this: We as a society tout 'green jobs' and the 'green economy.' But what does that mean to people who live in formerly coal producing areas and now face unemployment, reduced incomes and a lack of opportunities leading to social isolation? This Connecting Dots program will lead to engineering and earth sciences and geography students leaving their academic programs not just knowing how to develop efficient wind turbines and solar panels, but to know how to incorporate people with blue-collar skills for their jobs. It will lead to arts students to learn how their passions as painters or actors or musicians to beautify blighted areas, to bring artistic joys to residents of struggling council estates considered 'no-go' areas by many people and to help people in need to develop their artistic voices. These are just some of the ideas and concepts we are working with.

This will also NOT be some one-off meeting where the Ivory Tower gets together once with locals and write a few things on paper and then forget about it. This action plan will be drafted and finalized within six months.

And there will ALSO be accountability. We have also reached out to the editors of the Northern Echo and other local news organisations to not write fluffy fell-good features about this program. We have asked them to report on our meetings and action plans to make sure we adhere to the deadlines we set. The press will also be given free access to openly discuss this with those involved with the University of Durham, our community partners and -- especially -- the people we want to help to see if what we are building towards is working or not. If I fail to live up to the task chairing this program, I want my feet held to the fire as a way to ensure that I am holding up to my end of the bargain.

This is not about positive PR spin. It's about refining the skills that those of us with opportunities have to match well with people who do not come from the same backgrounds and find ways to work together in ways that will permanently better struggling areas.

As we all know, Emily Greenwood has stepped down from her seat. But she conceived of the Every Community Counts mantra. It's not just a slogan, despite what others say. It's a way of thinking how to use the immense power of the government to help everyone across the fabric of our nation. The Connecting Dots programme at the University of Durham and nearby struggling areas is an example of what we all can do together to indeed make sure every community does count.
Theresa Major
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Theresa Major »

BRADFORD APOLOGIZES FOR PARKOUR IN WESTMINSTER/PESTERING STAFF WITH BILLY JOEL SINGALONG/SUPPORT FOR ADHD AWARENESS
"First, I would like to apologize to all of my fellow MPs, the great staff of Westminster and all citizens of the United Kingdom and the world at large for my actions earlier this day. I had spent a few hours on YouTube learning about the form of exercise and discipline known as parkour. I had gotten over excited about what I had learned and should have immediately known it was highly inappropriate for me to begin leaping about the halls of Westminster while yelping like a mad man. I am greatly embarrassed by my actions.

This also comes two days after I had received a complain from staff about behaviour during a meeting while discussing a potential plan to rid the UK NHS hospital system of parking fees. Earlier in the day, I had heard Billy Joel's classic 'Scenes From An Italian Restaurant' on the radio and attempted to force my staff into reenacting the heartbreaking relationship between Brenda and Eddie depicted in that song. I apologize for these actions, as well, as well-intended as they were.

For some time, I have battled issues with both focus, attention to detail and impulsive behaviour. Being forced to confront that I had subjected my staffers to try to take an in-depth look at lyrics from Bill Joel's 1977 album The Stranger prompted me to seek the help of a psychiatrist. After a brief discussion and testing, I was given a diagnosis of Adult ADHD and given immediate treatment via medication, an improved diet along with the assistance of a specialist to help me learn how to best manage my condition. As I have come to quickly learn -- ADHD comes with it the downside such as trailing off during budget meetings or a hyperfocus on Channel Four comedies when work needs to be done. But it also comes with it unique gifts such as the excitement and energy I bring to each day and an ability to -- I hope -- find connections that others may miss.

Supporting those throughout the UK with ADHD -- or those who do not know they have it -- has become a new cause that I will champion. It's never too late to get tested and it's never too late to take steps to better your life. And, once again, I apologize for my inappropriate parkour and forced attempt to make people sing Billy Joel lyrics."

Return to “Press Office”