Press Office of Major General Hilda Harrington

Your opportunity to communicate with your adoring public.
Hilda Harrington
Constituency: Southampton Test
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: dylanhm

Press Office of Major General Hilda Harrington

Post by Hilda Harrington »

Major General Hilda Harrington MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Southampton Test [2005 - present]

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack."
Hilda Harrington

Re: Press Office of Major General Hilda Harrington

LAB PR: Hilda Harrington Makes Views Clear on Corbyn

WESTMINSTER: Major General Hilda Harrington, the Member of Parliament for Southampton Test, has made her views on the current Leader of the Labour Party and the recent furore over anti-Semitism abundantly clear in recent statements. Her comments came after a bust-up between the Leader of the Opposition and the current Shadow Chancellor, John McDonnell.

"It's clear that this issue is coming to a head," said the Major General, "and it's time to choose a side. You can either be on the side that has fought against anti-Semitism in the Labour Party and wider society, or you can be on the side that has remained entirely silent on the issue until it became clear that their leadership was threatened. Jeremy Corbyn's record on this issue is bleak, and in recent days it's clear that he shows no signs of changing his ways. We need an apology and a solemn promise to do better or, failing that, an immediate resignation."

"The time for silence has passed," she added. "Jewish people in my constituency and across the country don't feel safe with him in charge of our party, and that's a crying shame. They can't vote Labour because they're scared of what that might mean for them and their families. I'm grateful to the Shadow Chancellor for finally standing up and being counted, but Jewish communities have been sounding these alarms for some time now and have received very close to radio silence from the leadership - Mr McDonnell included. The Labour Party can and must do better, and that starts at the very top."

Hilda Harrington

LAB PR: Hilda Harrington on the Leadership Election and her Future Plans

Former Labour Leadership contender Hilda Harrington has released a statement following her narrow defeat to Emily Greenwood. The Major General, a left-wing firebrand who turned the leadership race on its head, lost by a handful of votes to the new Leader of the Opposition.

"Well, I entered this race because I wanted to give a voice to workers across this country who desperately need a Labour government. I wanted to ensure that people that feel forgotten by our politicians and by our party could trust us again and put the Tories back into opposition. I mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say that Emily has my full support as our new Leader. Unfortunately, the race took a somewhat bitter turn, and for my part in that I unreservedly apologise as I have already done in private to Emily.

"It's now my belief that Emily should get on with the job of Leader and deliver upon her promises. It's odd, in party politics, that you are often put in diametric opposition to someone with whom you, for the most part, agree. There is no reason why my personal decision to serve on the backbenches for the time being means I won't be wholeheartedly on board with Emily's programme for opposition and, in time, government.

"Finally, to those that supported me, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. This race was a fierce battle of ideas, but now we must put down our swords and pledge to take the fight to the Tories. Our mission, as a united party of the left, must be to redouble and refocus on our main goal: get the Tories out of Downing Street, and bring compassion back to the heart of government.

"Also congrats to Simon."

--ENDS--

Hilda Harrington

LAB PR: Labour MP Calls for Renewed Focus on Drug Deaths

Hilda Harrington, Labour MP for Southampton Test, has called for a renewed focus on drug deaths in the House of Commons. Speaking during Justice Questions, the former leadership contender advised the House that more than 4,000 people had died in England and Wales over the last year from drug use.

"One drug death is one drug death too many, and every drug death is completely preventable. Numerous charities across the country have called for the introduction of drug consumption rooms in areas where drug deaths are most prevalent, and I believe this is a long-overdue chance to address this issue head-on. Drug consumption rooms allow for drug users to use controlled substances in controlled environments, supervised by a medical professional. Following that, drug users can experience their highs and lows under medical supervision, and if any overdose symptoms arise then they can be treated there and then.

"In Canada, there are 39 drug consumption rooms - there called supervised injection sites - and as with all legislation that provides for a safer, cleaner environment for drug consumption we have seen a fall in mortality, and a fall in the need for overdose reversal. In addition to this, in areas in which drug consumption rooms have been introduced, we have seen a dramatic fall in the number of HIV transmissions. There are several considerable upsides to this proposal, and there are very few downsides.

"If the government is serious about cutting drug deaths then they will pay this proposal heed and will amend the Misuse of Drug Acts 1971 to ensure local authorities have a chance to take ahold of this issue."

Return to “Press Office”