Press Office of Simon Godwin MP

Your opportunity to communicate with your adoring public.
Elizabeth Tanner
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Westminster North
XP: 10
Trait(s): None
Discord username: Morgan#2072

Press Office of Simon Godwin MP

Post by Elizabeth Tanner »

Any questions or requests for interview should be directed to Jack E. Weaver, Office Manager and Press Officer to Simon Godwin MP.
Elizabeth Tanner
MP for Westminster North

First Secretary of State
Secretary of State for Foreign, Defence and Commonwealth Affairs
Elizabeth Tanner
Labour MP
Labour MP

Re: Press Office of Simon Godwin MP

Simon Godwin MP, former deputy leader of the Labour Party, announced his bid for the leadership of the Labour party at a joint meeting of the Brighton and Hove CLPs

Friends,

Thank you for the invitation to speak here tonight and to launch my leadership campaign - Strong leadership. A real alternative

In 2017 we had a manifesto that was full of policies that the public liked. They liked our commitment to end austerity, to invest in our country, our commitment to economic and social justice but we failed to win. And even with his positive message Jeremy Corbyn was unable to cut through, to convince Britain that Labour was ready for Government again. So this leadership election, after Emily has stood down, is not about upholding the legacy of the 2017 manifesto but it is about electing a Leader that can sell our positive message to Britain and take Labour back into Government at the next election.

Our country has suffered under a decade of Conservative Government. Austerity, spending cuts, the bedroom tax, social security axed, legal aid devastated, the Union on the brink of collapse, a return to selective education, police in schools and a Brexit deal that will bind the hands of Britain future - these are all symptoms of the Conservative dogmatic politics they follow. When presented with the chance to make Britain better they have chosen to make Britain worse. And this last decade is exactly why our country needs a Labour Government.

British progress has always been the most pronounced under Labour Government; the creation of the NHS in the aftermath of the war, the equal pay act in the 70s, and the national minimum wage in the late 90s. At each point in our political history the Labour party has made massive contributions to the development and progress of Britain. And we achieved these great milestones through a united and dedicated Labour party that is resolute in its commitment to implement progressive politics for all.

I am pleased to release my leadership platform this evening that includes my ten pledges. These pledges will guide my leadership of our party and will form the basis of the Government that I will lead as Prime Minister. They focus on economic justice, strengthening unions, protecting the NHS, and investing in industry in the national interest.

We are moving incredibly quickly to the next election and we must be ready to fight that election. We need a leader that will put aside the petty bickering and partisan attacks and focus on the job at hand - winning the next election and kicking the tories out of government.

Thank you.
Elizabeth Tanner
MP for Westminster North

First Secretary of State
Elizabeth Tanner
Labour MP
Labour MP

Re: Press Office of Simon Godwin MP

Simon Godwin, MP for Hove and contender for the Labour party leadership spoke to the TUC about his vision for the party and wider Labour movement.

Comrades,

Two years ago I stood before you all in my aim to become the deputy leader of the Labour party and I am once again asking for your indulgence as I set out what I believe is needed for the Labour party to succeed and to advance the cause of the TUC and workers across this country.

Before coming here today I took a look at that speech I gave two years ago and it is disheartening to see that so much has not changed. Yes the Prime Minister may be different but we are still faced with a Government that is hostile to the workers of the United Kingdom. A government that is hell bent on tearing up the social fabric of this nation to suit their on ideological interests. A government that will carve up the NHS and sell it off to the highest bidder. A government turning back the clock on decades of education progress and reinstating selective education. A government that is soft on crime and does not have your interests at heart.

Britain needs Labour. Britain needs a Labour party that is united and ready to enter government at the next election. Our message in 2017 was overwhelmingly positive and it was a message that resonated across the Country. The British people liked our manifesto, but they had concerns about the man at the front of our movement. They had concerns about how that Government would be led. However, this leadership election is not about who best can serve Jeremy’s or Emily’s legacy as leader but who can deliver our positive message across Britain and convert that support into real, tangible gains securing our return to Government. We need a leader that is ready to govern. We need a leader that is ready to take the fight to the Conservatives. We need a leader that will unite our party under one common goal: electing a Labour government. I am that leader.

Our movement, the largest political party in Europe, came into existence to represent the many in our country. Labour was formed in the white heat of industry where for centuries the worker had been exploited by the rich. Labour was formed to give a voice to the voiceless. The old parties had failed us and they continue to fail us today. And throughout our party’s history we have given a voice to the oppressed and ignored, and we have delivered for Britain against the vested interest of the status quo. The NHS, the welfare state, equal pay, the national minimum wage, paid maternity leave, employee rights - Labour achievements in power. When we unite and come together, like that before us did, we can achieve greatness. And as you leader I will bring our movement together and take us forward to victory.

Once again, we find ourselves besieged by Tories and their liberal enablers. Liberal who in 2017 promised that they would not support the Conservatives jumped into bed for another pittance. Once again their own self-interest has consigned the British people to the austerity and poverty forced on them by this Government. I say this to anyone who has voted Liberal recently and are as disgusted as we all are, you will find a welcome home in the Labour party - a party dedicated to fighting for justice, fairness and equality.

At the launch of my leadership campaign I unveiled my ten key pledges for my leadership. If successful in this election they will be my guiding principles for my tenure as leader of our great party. Economic justice is rightly my first pledge and must be the primary fight for our movement. This is not just increasing wages and protecting employment rights, but it is making the richest in our society pay their fair share of taxes for they did not make they money on their own; they were educated here in this country, their employees were educated here, their employees are kept healthy and secure by the NHS and our public services, their goods and products are transport on our national infrastructure, and their security is guaranteed by the Police and the Armed Forces. If they want to benefit from our public investment, then they must contribute their fair share. The time for loopholes and tax evasion is over.

Comrades, the next election is not far away, and with the Conservatives losing MPs and votes in Parliament their hold on power is weakening. They are dependent and the British people are crying out for change. We must answer that rallying cry. It is time for a leader that will take Labour back into Government and deliver a programme of Government for the British people. Join me in taking back control from this cruel and callous government.

Thank you.
Elizabeth Tanner
MP for Westminster North

First Secretary of State

Return to “Press Office”