Press Office | Conservative Party

Your opportunity to communicate with your adoring public.
Sir Arthur S. Stanley (CON)
Constituency: Altrincham and Sale West
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: BarclayCalhoun#5933

Press Office | Conservative Party

Post by Sir Arthur S. Stanley (CON) »

Conservative and Unionist Party Press Office

Rt. Hon. Sir Arthur Stanley | Altrincham and Sale West
Prime Minister & First Lord of the Treasury

Re: Press Office | Conservative Party

The Conservative and Unionist Party
FAO: All Newsdesks
Embargo: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STANLEY IS PRIME MINISTER
WESTMINSTER -- After being unanimously selected among his peers and colleagues in the Conservative Party, Sir Arthur Stanley, a former school teacher and long-time parliamentarian, has been asked by Her Majesty the Queen to form a Government in her name. The Altrincham and Sale West MP addressed the press outside of his residence, Number 10 Downing Street, briefly before getting to work on forming the Government that will take Britain forward into a new era.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to hear me address you this afternoon, for the first time, as the Prime Minister. It is the honour of my life and a tremendously humbling experience to have been selected from and by my colleagues in the Conservative Party to lead our party and our country into this hugely exciting future. Since our party took over the reigns of Government, we have guided the economy through a worldwide recession; we have spurred on growth; we have given the Scottish people a choice as to remaining or leaving the Union; and, of course, we have honoured the democratic will of the British people and left the European Union with a withdrawal agreement which sets the stage for further partnership. It has not always been easy, but we have proven beyond a doubt that the Conservative Party is the party of action which gets results in the end. This is important as we run headlong into an incredibly vital stage in the re-establishment of Britain as a preeminent world leader.

"The opportunity which our country has now is exciting. For the first time in four decades, Britain is her own master and we have a tremendous chance, now, to set our own laws, make our own deals, and chart our own course. Abroad, we will look to deepen our relations with the Commonwealth of Nation, in particular with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand; we will look to Africa and other emerging markets to use Britain's significant soft power and economic influence to help them build and, ultimately, benefit from free-flowing trade; we will, of course, look across the Atlantic to that special relation of ours in America, and secure an agreement between our two peoples which will see economic and social benefits for all of our people. And that's not all. We will look to build on our relationship with Europe, finally as equal partners, and move forward in a spirit of friendship and mutual enrichment by securing a free trade agreement without quotas or tariffs. All of this and much more will be accomplished by our Government and we will get immediately to work.

"Domestically, we will look to empower and support communities to make the real and concrete changes that are necessary not simply to combat climate change, but also to become a world leader in environmental conservation efforts. This empowering must carry with it thorough support in the form of funding and coordination from the national Government and it is my intention to provide that. By the year 2030, Britain will be the world's preeminent country in terms of green technology and green energy production. We will introduce our own worker's rights legislation that makes sense in a British context, for British business and British workers. We have, once again, control over our own immigration regulations and we will introduce an Australia-like points based immigration programme. And, moreover, we will ensure that your communities are safer, by funding and recruiting 20,000 more police officers across the country.

"These are but some of the exciting domestic and international policies that this Conservative government will pursue for as long as we enjoy the confidence of the House. I believe that my vision for Britain, one which enthusiastically and unapologetically believes in the genius of the British people, will help us move beyond the division and rankour which has characterized political discourse since, at least, 2016. We have no way to move now but forward; we cannot go back, we cannot stand our ground. We must move forward. To me, forward is towards a country which is more prosperous, safer, more environmentally-friendly, and which makes use of its significant soft power to have more influence internationally. It is a country where local people can help shape their own communities in concrete, real ways. It is a country where poorer communities receive investment and belief. And it is, ultimately, a country where small boys and girls are proud and hopeful to grow up in such a country as this. Together, we can realize this vision for Britain. Together, we can accomplish a great deal more. I thank you for your confidence, I thank you for your cooperation, and I thank you for your time. I, however, must be off to form a government and begin the business which awaits. Good afternoon."

The new Prime Minister is expected to announce his Cabinet choices within the next day.

ENDS

GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES MAJOR TRANSPORT POLICY
WESTMINSTER -- The Conservative Government led by Sir Arthur Stanley has, today, announced an overhaul of London-based air traffic. In a statement to the House of Commons, Transport Secretary and First Minister of State Sir James MacCrimmon announced that the Government approved a proposal for a major expansion of Gatwick Airport, adding a third terminal and second runway. This expansion is privately funded and will significantly decrease the burden of London's major Heathrow Airport, currently operating over capacity. In addition to the expansion at Gatwick, the Government will be investing 6.5 billion pounds into a new high speed rail system between three of southern England's main airports: Gatwick, Luton, and Heathrow. The high speed rail connection will operate a secure connection between the three airports, meaning that travelers can catch flights between the airports without going through multiple security checks. The result will be a more even distribution of air traffic between the three air ports, allowing each airport to specialize, with Heathrow being the primary long-haul, international air port, Gatwick being the medium- and short-haul air port, and Luton being the primary destination for low-cost air lines, and a reduced environmental impact compared to the effects of the previously-proposed Heathrow expansion.

"When I first addressed the country some days ago as Prime Minister, I promised that my government would put forward bold, progressive policies that would open Britain up for business and protect and conserve our environment," said Sir Arthur Stanley. "This is an excellent indicator of that intention. The Transport Secretary's announcement today shows just how much ingenuity and creativity this government has at its disposal. For years, politicians and local residents have been debating the need for an expansion to Heathrow airport, which is a major international airport which is, currently, operating well above its capacity. Sir James took command of the issue from day one and has come up with a solution that will both reduce the amount of traffic Heathrow experiences and reduce the environmental impact of a much-needed expansion to London's airport capacity. And by partnering with industry leaders, we have been able to do all of this at a fraction of the cost to the British taxpayer."

The high speed rail connection between the three major airports will help to transform Heathrow into an exclusively long-haul, international air port, while the newly-expanded Gatwick and Luton airports will deal with all short- and medium-haul flights out of London. This removes the need to expand Heathrow which would have been more expensive, more environmentally deleterious, and more detrimental to the local community than the Government's proposal. "Having heard from the locals, having considered the economic and environmental impact, and having really considered the question, this was the obvious solution," said Sir James MacCrimmon. "I am very proud to have been able to play my bringing it to fruition, and I look forward to seeing the results of this investment pay dividends for decades to come, as Britain opens itself up to more convenient international and domestic travel."

MacCrimmon also told the press that high speed rail was something the Government was keen to press on with. "Having spoken many times to the Prime Minister these last days, he was of one mind with me that we have got to look to press on with high speed rail to connect the rest of the country as well," he said. "We will be studying the feasibility of connecting other major metropolitan areas to smaller communities as a second phase to the HSR investment scheme very closely in the coming months."

By making air travel easier for both international and domestic fliers, Britain's Government is investing in the future of British business.

ENDS

YOUR GOVERNMENT: MAKING COMMUNITIES SAFER
WESTMINSTER -- The Home Secretary, today, announced a new recruitment scheme that will see 25,000 new police officers hired and trained within five years. The new scheme, called "A Force for Good," will see the Government invest one billion pounds to recruit, train and hire officers, all of whom will work directly with the public to keep communities safe.

Home Secretary William Croft called the scheme a "Government-wide commitment to safety, law and order, and always backing the police," in a statement before the House of Commons where he announced the scheme. Following necessary but difficult funding cuts to the Home Office in 2010, the number of police officers was reduced. With criminal activity increasing across the country, the Home Secretary has taken swift action to ensure that the number of officers available to local communities will be above the pre-2010 levels by 2024 and to ensure that communities who are most affected by crime will be better served.

In his statement upon assuming office at Number 10, the Prime Minister, Sir Arthur Stanley, committed to increasing police numbers and said that he was proud of this government's ability to act quickly and decisively on the matter. "Local Communities are the heart and soul of this government and it was imperative to me that among the first actions we take as a government is to ensure that those communities are safer and more secure," said the Prime Minister. "This scheme, 'A Force for Good,' will do just that, with more bobbies on the beat than there have been in a decade, it will be easier both for the police to catch criminals and for locals to report crimes and get the help they need."

Additionally, the Home Secretary made another major announcement that will see Section 60 expanded. This will mean that stop and search for offensive weapons will be easier and more common, allowing the increased police presence to take quicker, more decisive action to find and confiscate offensive weaponry and arrest those who offend. "It is imperative that, with the increased number of police officers that will be on our streets, police are backed up fully; the expansion of Section 60 will make it easier for police officers across the country to identify the carriers of dangerous and illegal weapons and take them off our streets," said the Prime Minister.

"This Government is working to make British communities the safest in the world," said Sir Arthur. "With this announcement, I am confident that British streets will begin to quickly become safer and more comfortable which will, in turn, make these communities feel like home for those who live in them."

ENDS
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP
Constituency: Tatton
XP: 6
Discord username: Croft

Post by Will Frost »

"TIME TO FORGE A NEW PATH" - PM DECLARES OUTSIDE NUMBER 10
WESTMINSTER -- Standing on the steps of Number 10 with his wife and children, William Croft addresses the nation for the first time as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and declares that the country needs a new direction.

"I have just been to see Her Majesty the Queen, and I have accepted her request to form a Government on her behalf," the Prime Minister said, adding that the thoughts and prayers of the nation were with his predecessor as he recovers from his illness. "In accomplishing Brexit, the Government I now lead has delivered upon the first half of its central commitment to the British people. Now, we must deliver on the second: using the opportunities that come from being a independent country to forge a new path forward."

The Prime Minister explained that his party was not just given a mandate to accomplish Brexit, but to also begin reshaping the United Kingdom into the country those who voted in favor of leaving the EU know it can be when unshackled from Brussels. "Now is the time in our history where all of us are called to reshape our nation from the inside out. We have to do more than just chart a new course outside of the EU, we need to use our newfound independence to build Britain into the country it was meant to be. More confident abroad, more secure at home, and more fair for all who live here. A Bigger Britain, representative of the spirit and power of the people who call it home.

The Prime Minister laid out a little of what his "Bigger Britain," vision would entail. The Prime Minister called for a more robust welfare state, providing for a strong social safety net that would guarantee every person a second chance at success, and that would ensure dignity in old age. The Prime Minister said that there was an urgent crisis in the education system, and said he would be meeting with the new Cabinet to quickly put together a plan to give every child a quality education. He insisted that Parliament must take full control of the new powers taken back from Brussels to reform the country's immigration system in line with the expectations of the British people, and strip back regulations that have burdened small and medium sized businesses for decades. And he made clear his belief that Britain needed to rapidly expand it's military in order to meet the new and growing threats posed by actors around the world.

"My belief in a Bigger Britain strikes at the core of what I believe the British experience to be about," the Prime Minister said as he concluded his remarks. "Defying expectations, beating the odds, and working together to achieve something bigger than oneself. That is what a Bigger Britain means to me."
Will Frost MP
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Will Frost »

PM ORDERS INQUIRY INTO CIVIL SERVICE CORRUPTION

NUMBER 10 -- This evening, the Prime Minister has written to the Cabinet Secretary to serve formal notice that he is ordering a full and independent inquiry into potential corruption within the Civil Service, following concerns that civil servants working for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) deliberately misadvised the Government.

"It is of critical importance that Britain's civil servants, individuals whose salaries are paid for by the taxpayer and who serve the public interest, are putting the British people first," the Prime Minister said. "I have grave concerns that civil servants may have acted improperly, and deliberately mislead and misadvised the former Secretary for the Department of Work and Pensions during the creation of the Government's reforms to the Winter Fuel Payment.

The inquiry will seek to determine whether or not civil servants deliberately mislead the Government and withheld information in order to to sabotage the Winter Fuel Payment reforms. Mr. Croft's concerns stem from the ongoing debate as to whether or not the Government knew that additional paperwork would be required of pensioners if the scheme was adopted, with the Prime Minister telling reporters that the civil service had originally made it clear that additional paper work would not be needed. The Prime Minister has also announced that the reforms are being halted until the conclusion of the inquiry, and that the scope of the inquiry may expand to civil servants in other departments if wrong doing is found within the DWP.

"The civil service exists to assist the government, it does not exist to make policy or dissuade - or worse, mislead- the government into abandoning policy," the Prime Minister said. "I am very concerned that the civil service appears to have taken it upon themselves to jettison a policy intended to widen a scheme giving cars to disabled people because they personally did not agree with the nature of the policy."

The Prime Minister concluded by tying the inquiry order to his Bigger Britain agenda, suggesting that cleaning up Whitehall sleaze and corruption is vital if the United Kingdom is to realize it's full potential as an independent world power.
Will Frost MP
Will Frost
Conservative MP
Conservative MP

Post by Will Frost »

PM APPEALS TO "BRITISH SENSE OF EQUALITY" IN SPEECH TO NATION

NUMBER 10 -- Speaking live from Number 10, Prime Minister William Croft delivered a televised speech to the nation following the violent riots that broke out across London this evening. The following is a transcript of the Prime Ministers remarks:

Good evening,

I join the whole of the nation in expressing my profound sadness and disappointment over the events that transpired across London this evening. There is no place for violence in the United Kingdom, and no tolerance for individuals who seek to achieve their aims through violence and criminal activity. Before I continue, allow me to take this opportunity to commend the incredibly brave police officers who, as a result of their hard work, were able to quickly get the situation in London under control and arrest those individuals who violated the law. On behalf of the British people, may I say tonight that a grateful nation thanks you for your service.

Like many of you, I watched the violence that unfolded in London this evening with shock and grave concern for our nation. The images of the Cenotaph being vandalized, swastikas spray painted onto the ground, and police officers being screamed at by hostile protestors evoked a sense of national shame. I know that we are better than this. I know that we are a country that respects our war heroes, that is tolerant towards people of all faiths, and that rejects violence in all forms. This was a sad day, but it is not one that will define our national story.

From the perspective of your Government, I can tell you that there are two issues that we have watched unfold: the first is the break down of the rule of law, and the second is an insidious rise in hate crimes perpetuated against minority communities. Let me tell you now how we plan to address both crises.

The foundation of our country is built upon our belief in the rule of law, and the understanding that we are a democratic nation built upon laws. Over the past few years in London, and in other major cities, we have seen a disconcerting trend of lawlessness. Politicians have waffled in their responsibilities to enforce the law, looked to point the finger elsewhere, and avoided accountability when innocent people were harmed as a result of their inaction. From the moment I became Prime Minister, that complacency towards lawlessness ended. The decision I made today to order police officers to temporarily hold those involved in the protests ensured that law enforcement was able to contain the situation, mitigate the violence, and arrest those known to have committed crimes. I have encouraged London's mayor and the Metropolitan Police to continue to follow up on leads until all those who defaced our cities memorials and spread symbols of hate have been arrested. With the thousands of new police officers being hired across the United Kingdom, it is my intention to see actions like this one becoming the norm.

The second, and equally important concern, is the rise in hate crimes that the violent protests this evening serve to highlight. The anti-Semitic symbols displayed across London today remind us of the ongoing epidemic of hate crimes targeted at Jewish Britons. The rhetoric we heard today from certain MPs that sough to delegitimize and vilify Israel, rhetoric that I vehemently reject on behalf of the whole Government, serves only to amplify these tensions. At the same time, the Government recognizes that there is a disturbing increase of identity based hate crimes of all kinds, targeting multiple religious, gender, ethnic, and sex-based minorities. As a result, I am announcing this evening the creation of the Government's Independent Inquiry into Identity Based Hate Crimes in the United Kingdom. We have commissioned this formal independent inquiry, which will have the full backing of the Government and report its findings and recommendations to Parliament within 6 months, in order to assist the Government in devising a comprehensive strategy to combat hate crimes of all kinds. There is no time to waste, and that is why we are acting now.

So tonight, let me be very clear: violence and hatred of any kind will not be tolerated by this Government. If you disagree with my decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel, you are wholly entitled to make your opinion known to me and the country in a myriad of peaceful ways. Indeed you are more than welcome to voice your opposition to me in any way you please. You are not, however, permitted to violate the laws of our country, laws that are made by the people and must be respected by the people. The moment we allow our system of law and order to collapse is the moment that we have lost our country as we know it forever. As your Prime Minister I will not watch as our democracy deteriorates before our eyes.

Whether my time as Prime Minister lasts 5 month or 5 years, I will use every day I have in this position to fight for a Britain that is more just and more tolerant. It is true to the character of our nation, to who we are as British people, to work towards a country where the law protects everyone, honors every identity, and gives all an equal shot at success. The British example of tolerance, of understanding, and of genuine care for one's neighbor has made us a force for good around the world. It is the characteristic of our country that makes me most proud to be your Prime Minister. So tonight, I call on all of us to remember who we are, to rise to our greatest potential, and to refuse to allow the light of British democracy to be extinguished.

Will Frost MP

Return to “Press Office”