Press Office of Grant Kingston

Your opportunity to communicate with your adoring public.
Grant Kingston
Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury
Constituency: Finchley and Golders Green
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: GrantK#5604

Post by Grant Kingston »

Member of Parliament for Finchley and Golders Green
Rt. Hon. Grant Kingston MP
Prime Minister for the United Kingdom (April 2020-Present)
Member of Parliament for Finchley and Golders Green (May 2010-Present)

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets (September 2012-May 2015)
Minister of State for Small Business, Industry and Enterprise (May 2015-July 2016)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (July 2016-January 2018)
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (January 2018-April 2019)
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (January 2020-April 2020)
Grant Kingston

Re: Press Office of Grant Kingston

Post by Grant Kingston »

Kingston: "We Are Wasting Time!"

Westminster - The Conservative MP for Finchley and Golders Green, Grant Kingston, spoke in Parliament today in opposition to the motion of no confidence, put forward by outgoing Labour Leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn. Kingston said the motion was only "[eating] up the little time we have left to negotiate our trade deal with Europe", and that it was "wasting precious time in nothing more than opportunism and stalling."

Kingston continued by say that "[The] country hinges on the Brexit trade deal [achieved]" and that "opportunism is holding us back, a potential election from this vote will just hold us back even further". He stressed, that an election and the fallout of another Hung Parliament would be a further waste of time if the motion was to pass.

The Conservative MP ended by questioning whether this motion was "opportunism, or sabotage" by the Labour Party, in spite of a "public [who] want Brexit sorted, once and for all". He appealed to all MPs, to "put aside party politics, and work together to get the right deal here for the UK.", stating that it was their "duty to [their] constituents".

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets (September 2012-May 2015)
Minister of State for Small Business, Industry and Enterprise (May 2015-July 2016)
Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (July 2016-January 2018)
Grant Kingston

Post by Grant Kingston »

KC1 – Northern Ireland Culture Wars

Today in Parliament, I asked the Secretary of State for the Regions, Rt. Hon. Juliet Manning, a question regarding a return to devolution for Northern Ireland. As the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland from January 2018 to April 2019, and as someone who has familial links to the country, the suspension of the Northern Ireland Assembly is an issue that I hold with great importance. Many outside the country are apathetic to it's problems, however in this delve into the issue, I will look at how we can work towards restoring the Northern Ireland Assembly.

Firstly I want to give thanks to the Regions Secretary, Ms. Manning, for her response and affirmation to restoring devolution in Northern Ireland, and confirming the Government's continued agenda of securing peace and security in the country.

In it's near 100 year history, Northern Ireland has been a place of war and peace, destruction and hope – a tumultuous history in such a short time. With the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998, things started to turn for the better for the country. This agreement promised a future of peace and prosperity, however even today it isn't all smooth sailing. A consociationalist (or power sharing) government is never an easy ride, evident by the fact the NI Assembly has been suspended five times since 1998. When you take two communities who are willing to die for their beliefs, and force them to govern and create a shared future together, it can lead to many an issue. These two communities are the Unionists, who want to remain part of the UK, and on the other side, the Nationalists, who wish to become part of Ireland.

The NI Assembly was suspended in January 2017, due to a major disagreement over the mishandling of the Renewable Heat Scheme, which saw half of a billion Pounds essentially wasted due to the incorrect implementation of the scheme. The scheme was handled by the DUP, and when leader, Arlene Foster, refused to step down over the issue, Sinn Fein refused to nominate a deputy First Minister, and Stormont collapsed. Attempts to restore the Assembly have failed as Nationalists want to implement an Irish Language Act, but Unionists refuse. The Irish Language Act is seen by Nationalists as seen as important to acknowledging the Irish language, and as part of their identity – however Unionists fears over implementing this act, and even issues such as removing the British flag from government buildings, have led to the belief that Nationalists are trying to “de-British” Northern Ireland.

We need to get back to the negotiating table, and quick. We need to work out with the main parties in Northern Ireland, a shared future, that will allow for both communities to feel their culture is both respected and not at risk. I call upon both the British and Irish Governments to come together on this, for too long they have taken a hands off approach to helping a shared peaceful future be achieved in the country – and I hold my hands up and say I could have done better when it was my responsibility.

There is a major crisis in Unionism currently. Historically Unionists have been the majority in the country. With the increase in size of the Nationalist community, the integration of Irish culture, and having to be more accepting of each other, this has led to insecurity for Unionists – the aforementioned “de-Britification”. We need to ensure that Unionists do not feel pushed out or undervalued in this shared society. Both communities are on an equal footing, and we must reassure Unionists of this.

Likewise we need to ensure that Unionists can accept the Nationalist community celebrating their own culture. Nationalists have every right to do so, but we need to show that in doing so, they do not threaten or take away from the Unionist right to be British.

Furthermore, we need to begin building trust between the communities once more. Since 1998, Nationalists and Unionist communities were building strong bridges to remove fears and hatred of “the other side”. The British and Irish Governments must ensure the continuation of cross-community efforts which will help in building peace and a shared future. In turn, this could combat the fears of one side dominating and pushing the other out.

Thirdly, the British Government needs to do more in helping the Northern Irish economy grow. This region of the UK has been ignored for too long. The UK Economic Outlook (UKEO), has shown last year, the Northern Ireland will be once again the poorest region in the UK; Belfast has dropped to the worst city for growth in the UK, and economic growth only managed a 0.8% increase – below the 1% estimate, and below the UK average of 1.3%. How can the people of this country be hopefully, when there is no hope for future prosperity, and when the live in the UK's poorest region? While business has seen the opportunity there is in Northern Ireland, it is not enough, the public sector still vastly outweighs the private sector. More most be done to improve this local economy.

To boil it down, my points are simple. To see a return to devolution in Northern Ireland we need to:
  • ensure both communities feel respected, and feel they are treated equally and fairly,
  • ensure cross-community efforts are supported and continued,
  • ensure more help is given to grow the Northern Irish economy,
  • call upon both the British and Irish Governments to help in these efforts.
Finally, I appeal to my colleagues in the Conservative Party, who are in Government, to work towards these goals. We must work towards the shared future of peace and prosperity, that was promised to the people of Northern Ireland in the Good Friday Agreement just over 20 years ago – and quick.

Grant Kingston

Post by Grant Kingston »

A Strong UK

Today the Prime Minister, Grant Kingston, delivered a speech at 10 Downing Street, outlining his vision for a strong UK.
Thank you all for coming here today. It's great to finally meet, and get talking to some of you. When I was elected as the MP for Finchley and Golders Green in 2010, I did not think ten years later I would become the leader of this great nation. I am honoured to stand here today as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. I promise everybody I will serve with honesty, and with your best interests at heart.

To many, I was a dark horse in this leadership race, so I want to take some time to share who I am. Before anything I am a family man; happily married with three children, who all mean the world to me. Before I was an MP I worked with my father in growing our family entertainment business from a small, one club business, to one of the biggest entertainment businesses in the UK. I attribute my strong family life to making me the man I am today; caring, compassionate, and driven. These are values I now apply to my political career, and in every decision I make in my role. I believe I am caring and compassionate for the UK and it’s citizens, and I am driven to ensure under my leadership we will see a stronger UK that gives the best quality of life to the public.

Today the UK stands at a crossroad. We have the greatest opportunity to set ourselves up socially, economically, and politically for our future. Now is the time to get to work. And today I would like to lay out my vision of how we will begin the journey to a strong UK.

First and foremost, I believe in a strong UK at home. The public has shown increasing concern on social issues, such as health, education and social care, as well as crime, and I want my Government to tackle these concerns head on. We are dedicated to providing well funded and high quality health, education, and social care services. We must strive towards having the best public services, as well as the best, high quality workers in these services. Better funding, better equipped and more workers in these services, is key to a better life for the British public. Furthermore I will be working with the Department of Public Services and Social Affairs to ensure the continuation of supportive social policy, such as the building of new homes is implemented, and building policy to improve the quality of life in the UK at all levels. We must support our public services - a strong NHS, a strong education system, and strong social care are vital to a strong UK. A healthy and educated public is of utmost importance to me.

I am a strong believer in upholding the rights and liberties of the British public. I support the current direction the Government has taken in providing safety for the public, we need more police on the streets, and a better funded police service overall. We must continue to crack down and be tough on the rising knife crime epidemic, which is a high priority issue to me. Entering a new decade, it is important that we look at changing attitudes to issues towards crime. We must look at updating and reforming our crime and punishment system, in regards to sentencing and rehabilitation of criminals. In a strong UK, we must ensure the safety of the public in their everyday lives.

As the UK finishes up the leaving process from the European Union, we must continue to mould a strong British economy. An economy that will be supportive of both the public and business, with benefits being felt by all across the board. We will do this by backing our businesses big and small, and our entrepreneurs to compete on the international stage, with fair tax and support schemes. We must ensure we form strong trade deals that will see British industry as a power house again. Furthermore we will continue to ensure workers keep more of the money they earn, and ensure they stay at work in Britain, with fair taxation, equipping the public with the skills they need, creating more high paying jobs for the public, and continuing support of a strong National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage. We will continue to support fair systems in regards to pensions, National Insurance, and a welfare system that works for those who need it most.

The climate crisis we face as a planet, is a massive part of the modern political agenda, and one we must take very seriously. We must continue to clamp down on carbon emissions, pushing forward with ideas such as banning petrol and diesel cars, promoting green energy, and environmentally friendly living. I am aware that there are fears from the climate crisis over the effect it will have on industries and business. The simple solution is we remedy this by creating green jobs - jobs that will see people move from extracting fossil fuels, to building solar panels. I will continue to support our garden cities plan, and rebuilding the green belt is also an important start to our green policy. The Green Revolution is not to be feared, we can make the transition together. And we must take the steps to ensure our planet's survival, doing our bit as a nation.

Improving transport and infrastructure will play an important part in the future of the UK, economically and for making a strong country. However this will overlap with environmental policy greatly, and thus we must approach it with a green mindset. In regards to new transport links I feel we must revisit plans, and consider a plan that will see better infrastructure linking the major cities of the UK, across all the nations, and a possible link to Northern Ireland. To ensure this is done right, the plan must be efficient and environmentally friendly.

I believe in a strong UK on the international stage. We must plant ourselves as a big player on the international stage once more, working with our allies across the globe, and in our roles in organisations such as NATO, and the UNSC, strengthening our alliances and global influence. As well as this, we must work hard to achieve beneficial trade deals as previously mentioned. Without the constraints of the EU, we will be able to forge new partnerships, economically and politically, that will strengthen the UK to its own needs.

In terms of defence we must continue to look to the future, modernising our military in terms of equipment and training, which will improve overall capability. Tackling the new stage of cyberattacks must also be a key priority in our defensive future. We must also consider dealing with legacy issues, in regards to victims, survivors, and our veterans.

As I previously stated, the Union is of utmost importance to myself and my Government. We ensure that we work harder than ever to keep the Kingdom united, we are better as a unit together. I have a great desire to ensure that the benefits of a strong UK are felt across all the nations that make up the Union. I will be working closely with the devolved governments: the Northern Ireland Assembly, the Scottish Parliament, and the Welsh Senedd, to ensure this. I will also be meeting regularly with the leaders of the devolved legislatures, working together as a team for a stronger UK. We will strive to uphold devolution, and work together, not against each other.

I hope today I have provided some insight into my vision for the United Kingdom. The overall message is care and compassion, and drive to create a stronger UK for all British citizens. Thank you!

Grant Kingston

Post by Grant Kingston »

The Best Deal for a Strong UK

Today the Prime Minister, Grant Kingston, delivered a speech at 10 Downing Street, showing his immense support for the Brexit Deal negotiated, and that is currently before the House of Commons.
"I am pleased that we finally have a Brexit deal that will ultimately work in the best interests of all people in the UK, despite what side they were on in the debate. After a series of long drawn out negotiations - one that has taken many Prime Ministers, and Ministers to work out - we have finally reached an agreement that will see us leave the EU with a promising deal for our nation, instead of a no deal situation that would see us dangerously crash out. As the Foreign Secretary said, it was never going to be easy, and we had to compromise. We had to compromise in ensuring the deal worked, and was in the interests of everybody in the UK. I can assure the British public that this is the first exciting step in our departure from the EU. The benefits of this deal will be felt throughout the UK.

On the 30th September 2020, we will officially leave the EU, and become the leading nation in the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). This will give Britain access to the Single Market - the largest free trading market globally - without the shackles of the EU political institutions, as well as the ability to negotiate our own trade agreements in the future. This allows us to continue working closely with existing trade partners, while forging new trade deals to make a stronger UK politically and financially.

This deal will deliver Brexit, as voted for by the electorate, and has worked within the concerns of those in the same electorate who did not wish to leave the EU. As I said we reached a compromise on many levels, but I have every faith this deal will work for all people.

This deal will ensure a stronger Union within the UK. We will not see any borders up the Irish Sea, cutting us off from Northern Ireland. A deal I believe even separatists in Scotland such as the SNP have put support behind in their own policy. This will bring

The only other option to this deal, was a No Deal Brexit, which would have seen us crash out of Europe, with no trade deals of our own, predictions of our economy shrinking by 10% by 2035, and a weak player on the international stage. This deal we have is realistic and effective, with the only other option being a major threat to the UK.

We once again have better control of our sovereignty, our fishing, and of our agriculture. No more “ever closer union” in Europe. No more tyranny from the European Court of Justice. This is the first steps of a strong sovereign UK, that can forge its own political and economic future, that will be for the benefit of its citizens - not that of continental Europe.

This is the best deal available, and the only other option is to crash out of the EU with no deal. MPs will soon have the choice to choose a deal that will set the UK up for a strong future. Or choose to have the UK crash out and be left weak for decades. I promised a strong UK, politically, economically, and on the international stage - this deal will do just that."

Grant Kingston

Post by Grant Kingston »

Time to Reap the Rewards of Post-Austerity

Today the Prime Minister, Grant Kingston, delivered a speech at 10 Downing Street, backing his Ministry's first Budget. He praised the Budget for its smart and efficient investment, being the first true post-austerity Budget where the British public will feel the benefits of those difficult times, and for being the first step towards a Strong UK
"I am elated with Michael Smythe, and my Ministry’s first Budget presentation. This is a Budget which is pro-investment and pro-UK. This Budget will see significant investment, as I promised when I became Prime Minister, into strengthening our public services, as well as better equipping them, and more staff. £15billion extra into health, £17billion into education - all while remaining a smart and efficient investment.

We completely reviewed our taxation policy, lowering many taxes, freezing others - such as the lower rate of Income Tax, and National Insurance - whilst raising others to balance things out. I know many have questions regarding the rise of Corporation Tax, but we still support business in other ways through this Budget, through new trade deals post-Brexit, and businesses will still enjoy the lowest tax rate in the G7 (minus the US). All we are asking is that businesses who made a success of the back of the British public and their sacrifice during austerity, now give a little back to improve public services to the standard of a country with a high level of growth. This Budget is the first true post-austerity Budget. We promised for many years the people would one day feel the benefit of the sacrifice during those hard times, and now this is the first step towards that.

This Budget has also made huge steps in helping people get on the property ladder, by eliminating Stamp Duty on houses priced at less than £250,000, while lowering it for houses priced between £750,000 and £1,000,000. Furthermore we have set aside the money in this Budget to build more housing.

On top of all that we will see two new aircraft carriers built in Scotland - creating jobs and continuing to modernise our military. Starting our plan to modernise and strengthen infrastructure in the UK, specifically with a tunnel that unites Northern Ireland to the mainland with a tunnel.

And the cherry on top being that we have managed all that whilst lowering the overall deficit as a percentage of our GDP. Our day-to-day spending surplus has also increased by £15.5billion This Budget has put us in a strong position to build as Strong UK, and leaves plenty of room to balance things out in the future. I am excited to say that the Treasury believes we are on track to balance the books over the course of the next ten years.

This Budget is investment heavy yes, but it does so at a smart and efficient rate. As the Chancellor said, this Budget holds the three principles of “preparedness, fairness, and sustainability”. As I have said, the British public will now reap the benefits of those tough years of austerity. I firmly believe that this is the first step into building a Strong UK.
"

Return to “Press Office”