Tulip Siddiq Press Office [London Mayoral Multi]

Your opportunity to communicate with your adoring public.
Sam Berman
Labour MP
Labour MP
XP: 0
Trait(s): None
Discord username: JunkyardCat

Tulip Siddiq Press Office [London Mayoral Multi]

Post by Sam Berman »

BERMAN: TULIP SIDDIQ “UNIQUELY PLACED” TO DEFEAT RACISM IN LONDON

FINCHLEY -

Sam Berman, Shadow Foreign Secretary, and the Jewish MP for Hampstead and Kilburn, today announced her endorsement of Tulip Siddiq in the London Labour Mayoral primary. Speaking at an event hosted specifically for BAME party members, Berman tore into the government for their failure to bring about a nationwide inquiry into racism.

The event also served as an opportunity to pitch Tulip Siddiq’s pledge to initiate a Londonwide inquiry into the matter.

“As the Prime Minister continues to drag his feet - despite having promised to deliver an immediate inquiry into anti-semitism, islamophobia, and all other forms of racism - I am immensly pleased that Tulip will lead calls for a specific Londonwide inquiry into the matter, and will initiate one on her first day in office. Every day that an inquiry is delayed is another day on which our communities are brutalised simply for being proud of who we are. Enough is enough.”

Berman went on to note Siddiq’s own experiences as a victim of Islamophobia, as well as her particularly long standing commitment to eradicating anti-Semitism.

“I have held Seder with Tulip, and we have both spoken at Limmud events. She understands the cause and difficulties of the Jewish community as they were her own. She has been long ahead of this issue in a way that few others in our party can claim. That is in part because of the disgusting racism that she has experienced as a BAME woman, and I am ever grateful to her for picking up the Jewish cause alongside her own.”

In 2015, Tulip Siddiq became a Vice-Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group against Antisemitism, and was applauded by Jewish activists as a “a leading light in this area”, many of whom attended the event.

“Tulip is somebody that has been firmly at the side of the Jewish community during our fight against anti-Semitism, both within our party and the nation at large. She is uniquely placed - because of her own experiences, her sense of duty, and her bold plans for change - to lead the fight against all forms of racism in our city.”
Sam Berman
Labour MP
Labour MP

Re: Tulip Siddiq Press Office [London Mayoral Multi]

Post by Sam Berman »

SIDDIQ: “STOPPING KNIFE CRIME WILL BE MY TOP PRIORITY”

Whilst an MP for Hampstead and Kilburn, Tulip Siddiq helped to pioneer Camden’s Youth Safety Taskforce, which put a particular premium on developing anti-knife crime strategies that relied on methods other than simply increasing the police presence. At an event in South London, she reiterated this view.

“One of the primary issues is that young knife carriers feel deeply alienated from the mainstream of society. In a society that doesn’t offer prospects, opportunity, or a good shot at a decent life to the next generation, it is no surprise that carriers turn to knives as a way to not only assert their own authority, but also protect themselves in communities that have been left destitute by central government. We must therefore back up frontline spending on police - which is absolutely essential - with real investment into community centres, job training programmes, and youth activities.”

Siddiq has long called for these new strategies to extend into community relations, and has repeatedly asked that the police do more to engage with youngsters.

“We need to create Youth Officers as part of every Neighbourhood Safety Team, allowing for frank and open liaison between today’s youth and the police force at large. We will not defeat the knife crime epidemic without cooperation between those who are at risk of, or are already, carrying, and those that are doing their best to keep our streets safe.”

Siddiq also noted the importance of turning back the tide on Tory cuts to the Metropolitan Police Force. The latest figures show that the Westminster government has cut funding for London police by 20% per head - greater than in any other part of the country. This has resulted in 25% fewer officers per 1,000 Londoners.

“Don’t tell me that knife crime hasn’t boomed because of Tory cuts. Our city, our youths, are living in desperate conditions because central government hasn’t taken our pleas seriously. Instead of clearing up the problem - instead of saving lives - they have chosen to let the problem roll on because it is electorally favourable to them. It is despicable. Stopping knife crime will be my top priority should I be elected Mayor. I will put an end to the epedemic on our streets.”
Sam Berman
Labour MP
Labour MP

Post by Sam Berman »

SIDDIQ: RADICAL SOLUTIONS NEEDED TO SOLVE LONDON HOUSING CRISIS

KILBURN –

Tulip Siddiq today called for the implementation of “radical solutions” to fix London’s existing housing crisis, at an event in Kilburn attended by Labour Housing Group members, amongst others.

The latest figures show that the average property price – an average of flats and houses – show that London properties now cost more than £460,000.

“It is a travesty that home ownership is now out of reach for the vast majority of people in our city. Hard working Londoners are being let down by a consistent failure by central government to take their situation seriously. It is unacceptable that families are consistently priced out of the neighbourhoods that they have known their whole life. We need radical solutions to solve the London housing crisis. I am committed to the principles of the Labour Housing Group – that housing is a right of all, that nobody should live in unsafe lodgings, and that nobody should be one paycheck away from losing their home. I pledge to create record numbers of houses – both social and private – to increase and improve housing stock throughout the city. But to make such a programme a success, we must also ensure that transport, industry, jobs and green spaces are all there, to provide a web of social structures that will make new builds a success.”

Siddiq also noted the need to protect existing private renters, who account for more than a third of homes in the Hampstead and Kilburn area, and roughly 650,000 households across London.

“I will work with the London Assembly to start a commission to explore rent caps, the banning of unfair letting fees, the creation of a citywide landlord database – allowing for proper sanctions against landlords that break the law – amongst other measures. Our analysis shows that such changes would result in vastly stronger rights for tenants – who are presently lacking many essential protections under the law – as well as saving new tenants roughly £350.”

A particular section of the event was dedicated to discussing the Grenfell disaster, which claimed 72 lives. A number of high rise towers near Swiss Cottage – to the West of the constituency area – were covered in the same cladding at the time of the fire.

“Grenfell was the canary in the coal mine – being poor in this country can mean a death sentence. We can never allow there to be a repeat of that night. The next Mayor of London must fight back against criminal corporate negligence, and the widespread skimping on welfare by landlords seeking to line their pockets with a few extra pounds. Because at the end of the day, that’s what Grenfell was about – money. Putting the desires of the rich far ahead of the needs of the poorest. Regardless of the results of our Primary, I will work to secure emergency funding for the immediate replacement of all dangerous cladding in our city. My heart continues to go out to the victims, their families, and every person that is being forced to continue living in dangerous high rise buildings.”

A minute’s silence was held for the 72 victims of the fire.
Sam Berman
Labour MP
Labour MP

Post by Sam Berman »

KENSINGTON MP: TULIP SIDDIQ WILL MAKE A “GREAT MAYOR”

KENSINGTON –

Ashton Edwards, the Labour MP for Kensington, has today endorsed Tulip Siddiq for London Mayor. Edwards has been a major figure in the aftermath of the Grenfell fire, and has been heavily involved in campaigns against classist house building and cost-cutting of essential health and safety measures.

In a statement, Edwards thanked Siddiq for “remembering Grenfell and the lessons that we should learn from it… I completely support her desire to see change for the benefit of all.”

Tulip Siddiq has called for the next Mayor of London to “fight back against criminal corporate negligence, and the widespread skimping on welfare by landlords seeking to line their pockets with a few extra pounds”. She has also committed to seeking emergency extra funding for the immediate replacement of all dangerous and unlawful cladding on London buildings.

Edwards wholeheartedly endorsed the proposals, “I support what Tulip’s looking to do, and think she’ll make a great Mayor.”
Sam Berman
Labour MP
Labour MP

Post by Sam Berman »

SIDDIQ: IT ISN’T ACCEPTABLE TO SAY THAT WE’VE ‘DONE ENOUGH’ TO FIX AIR POLLUTION

LAMBETH –

Tulip Siddiq held an event in Lambeth, where she called for urgent action to clean up London’s air. The borough has the highest level of air pollution anywhere in the city.

Siddiq took the opportunity to praise the work of Sadiq Khan, who has made huge steps to tackle this problem during his term in office. The number of people living in areas with illegal levels of nitrogen oxide has fallen by 94% in the last four years.

“Sadiq has done an unparalleled amount to rid our city – and lungs – of polluted air. Measures like the Ultra Low Emission Zone has massively cut the amount of heavy pollution vehicles here in the centre of London, leading to a 20% cut in air pollution in Lambeth and the surrounding boroughs. But there is still more to do. More than 100,000 Londoners continue to breathe air that breaks legal limits on pollution. It simply won’t be acceptable to sit on our hands and say that we’ve ‘done enough’ by reducing the pollution of most Londoner’s airspace. If elected Mayor I will continue the push for tighter restrictions on excessive pollution producing vehicles, support the ULEZ expansion, the pedestrianisation of Oxford Street, and the funding of new electric vehicle subsidies and charging hot spots.”

Polluted air also has serious effects on children, including reduced levels of neurodevelopment. It has also been linked to an increased likelihood of developing health problems including asthma and childhood cancer. Data shows that 14 schools continue to be forced to operate in air that breaches legal limits on pollution.

“We need to get children out of polluted zones as a particular matter of urgency. Not only does air pollution do major damage to cognitive development, but it has been linked to a massive spike in asthma and childhood cancer rates. We don’t do nearly enough to protect our children from its deeply hazardous effects, and so as Mayor I would declare a ‘pollution emergency’ and seek to immediately stop all pollution heavy vehicles from operating near schools. I will work with the London Assembly to craft a long term solution for making all areas of our city safe to breathe for our children.”
Dr. James Webster
Constituency: Aberavon
Discord username: Blake#4431

Post by Dr. James Webster »

SIDDIQ: KEEP THE TFL FREEZE
HARROW – Speaking to a crowd of supporters London Mayoral candidate pledged to keep the TfL fares frozen in London. Stating: "If elected, I am committed to keep the Freeze in TfL prices during my four year term. It's the right choice for the people. As it lowers costs for Londoners. It's the right choice for our environment. Because it encourages people to use public transportation.

If we are going to tackle air pollution then we need to make sure that people are encouraged to use alternative transportation options including public transport and cycling. We need to continue to improve and expand the number of cycling lanes throughout London. We have to work with local communities to get it done right and safely.

Return to “Press Office”