Foreign Office Questions

The most publicly-viewed, and least productive, part of the Parliamentarian's day when Ministers of the Crown are brought in front of the opposition and summarily raked over the coals. Of course, nothing is ever really asked and nothing is ever really answered, but it makes for good theatre.
Alexander 'Alec' Dundas
Constituency: Ochil and South Perthshire
XP: 0
Trait(s): None

Foreign Office Questions

Post by Alexander 'Alec' Dundas »

Order! Questions to the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
Rt Hon. Alexander 'Alec' Dundas QC MP
Secretary of State for the Union (2019-Present)
Member of Parliament for Ochil and South Perthshire (2017-Present)
Kayla Gray
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Holborn & St Pancras
XP: 2
Discord username: Comrade Nathon

Re: Foreign Office Questions

Post by Kayla Gray »

Thank You Madame Speaker,

Given that the government doesn’t believe political change should come from ‘Bullet or Bomb’, will they condemn the United States for their interventions in South America?
Kayla Gray MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Holborn & St Pancras (2015-)
Charles Trenython
Constituency: Burton
XP: 3
Discord username: axocja#6492

Post by Charles Trenython »

James Doherty wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 pm Thank You Madame Speaker,

Given that the government doesn’t believe political change should come from ‘Bullet or Bomb’, will they condemn the United States for their interventions in South America?
Madam Speaker,

The Government remains a staunch ally of the United States, and we are often party to exchanging our views, but I'm afraid the Honourable Member must be more specific in his question.
CHARLES TRENYTHON MP | Labour MP for Burton
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (2000-present)
Secretary of State for Defence (2000-present)
Kayla Gray
Labour MP
Labour MP
Constituency: Holborn & St Pancras
XP: 2
Discord username: Comrade Nathon

Post by Kayla Gray »

Madame Speaker,

I will specify for the Right Honourable Gentleman as he has requested.

The United States is the world’s largest empire as well as being an economic superpower and since the collapse of the USSR in the 1990s has had free reign to pursue colonial policies across the world, including many activities in Latin America.

As one does study the Foreign Policy history of the United States, it is only natural to become disgusted by their track record such as dropping 32,557 tons of napalm on the DPRK. But intervention in Korea is just one example of US imperialism over the years. There is much more information on other interventions, such as Vietnam, which is easily accessible to the Foreign Secretary.

The United States, during the Cold War, also backed and funded Mujahideen in Afghanistan, who fought against the Soviet backed government coming to power in Afghanistan, a government which, may I just add, abolished arranged marriages, promoted mass literacy and reformed land ownership. The US gave the Mujahideen billions of dollars of funding from 1979-89, as well as allowing them to purchase weapons from the US military before the US eventually sent paramilitary forces to work with them under Ronald Reagan’s presidency, and built anti-aircraft missiles for them.

There are also the CIA backed coups in Latin America, such as the overthrow of Allende to replace him with Pinochet and his brutal regime in Chile. America also funded the Contras, a far-right paramilitary death squad in Nicaragua which terrorised the people and fought against the left wing Sandinistas.

No matter what excuse the US uses for their military interventions or under the table funding and supplying of far right groups, there is always a common goal to inflict policies which will aid multinational corporations and promote free market capitalism at the expense of many of the inhabitants of the countries. This is not to mention the economic warfare of embargoes that the United States has inflicted on Venezuela for taking control of Oil company PDVSA.

The imperialism and the disgraceful track record of the United States on the world stage goes against the government spokespersons recent comments in the press who said that ‘violence must never be the way to achieve political outcomes and we are opposed to those who seek to achieve political change through bullet or bomb’. Therefore, does this government condemn the United States for using ‘bullets and bombs’ to achieve outcomes that they see as favourable for their business interests in foreign countries?
Kayla Gray MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Holborn & St Pancras (2015-)
Charles Trenython

Madam Speaker,

Whilst I acknowledge the anti-American views the quite clearly Honourable Member has, I will not be used as a mechanism for him to gain more exposure with them through this Question time session. I suggest the Member uses other mechanisms, such as motions, to express his opinions.

To address his points more broadly, Madam Speaker, I and this Government are focused on the present and not the past, working for modern-day Britain, and not the Britain of the 1950s.
Clarice Ashbridge
Constituency: Eastwood
Discord username: LegolasRedbard

Post by Clarice Ashbridge »

Madam Speaker,

May I first take this opportunity to welcome the Secretary of State to his new position following his promotion? I am sure that the two of us will have many

Madam Speaker, December 25th is a date that is entrenched each year in our calendars for the majority of the nation as a time of joy and celebration at the birth of Jesus Christ. But in 2001, this date takes on another significance, as we commemorate ten years since the fall of the Soviet Union, and the liberation of the Russian people from communism. I'm sure the majority of the House, with the exception it seems of the member for Birkenhead, will all join with me in celebrating that. In that time the country has seen many struggles on it's path to full democracy, and the election of President Putin, a former KGB agent and head of the Russian intelligence service, has been seen as many as a worrying backslide to the days of state control.

My question to the Foreign Secretary is this: where does the government stand with this new Russia, and what can be done to help her further embrace democratic ideals?
The Hon. Clarice Ashbridge MP, Lady Ashbridge
Scottish Conservative and Unionist
Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department (October 2001 - present)
Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities (June 2001 - present)
MP for Eastwood (2001 - present)
Owain Jones
Constituency: Monmouth
XP: 4
Discord username: Redstorm

Post by Owain Jones »

Madame Speaker

I would like to say that I for one will not celebrate the end of the Soviet Union an act committed against the expressed wishes of the people of the Soviet Union who voted to maintain it.

The United States has signalled its intention to withdraw from the anti-ballistic missile treaty what is the government's position on this matter?
Owain Jones
Conservative MP for Monmouth 1997 - Present
Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs
Tory Reform Group
Charles Trenython

Clarice Ashbridge wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:09 pm Madam Speaker,

May I first take this opportunity to welcome the Secretary of State to his new position following his promotion? I am sure that the two of us will have many

Madam Speaker, December 25th is a date that is entrenched each year in our calendars for the majority of the nation as a time of joy and celebration at the birth of Jesus Christ. But in 2001, this date takes on another significance, as we commemorate ten years since the fall of the Soviet Union, and the liberation of the Russian people from communism. I'm sure the majority of the House, with the exception it seems of the member for Birkenhead, will all join with me in celebrating that. In that time the country has seen many struggles on it's path to full democracy, and the election of President Putin, a former KGB agent and head of the Russian intelligence service, has been seen as many as a worrying backslide to the days of state control.

My question to the Foreign Secretary is this: where does the government stand with this new Russia, and what can be done to help her further embrace democratic ideals?
Madam Speaker,

I thank the Honourable Member for her kind words and look forward to our exchanges.

It is important, Madam Speaker, that nations must be in a position to determine their own fate via democratic processes - Russia is no different. We, of course, will look to work with Russia in supporting their democracy from afar alongside other avenues for cooperation.
Harry Laski wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am Madame Speaker

I would like to say that I for one will not celebrate the end of the Soviet Union an act committed against the expressed wishes of the people of the Soviet Union who voted to maintain it.

The United States has signalled its intention to withdraw from the anti-ballistic missile treaty what is the government's position on this matter?
Madam Speaker,

I will be meeting with Secretary Rumsfeld when he travels to Europe for the NATO summit, and will specifically be meeting him here in London. Without seeing the detail just yet, Madam Speaker, I feel it would be inappropriate to comment at this time.
Clarice Ashbridge
Constituency: Eastwood
Discord username: LegolasRedbard

Post by Clarice Ashbridge »

Madam Speaker,

As the Foreign Secretary will no doubt be aware, the Common Fisheries Policy of the European Union is much maligned by those involved in the fishing industry, and is an issue for fishermen the length and breadth of Britain, particularly those in the north east of Scotland who lose out due to trawlers from countries such as Spain and France taking advantage of the vast wealth of fish that we are blessed with in Scottish waters.

The Foreign Secretary is well placed to stand up for the interests of British fishermen abroad, and lead the charge for either a fundamental reform, or the scrapping of this policy in it's current form. When he next goes to Brussels, will the Foreign Secretary advocate for a resolution to this unfair policy?
The Hon. Clarice Ashbridge MP, Lady Ashbridge
Scottish Conservative and Unionist
Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department (October 2001 - present)
Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities (June 2001 - present)
MP for Eastwood (2001 - present)
Charles Trenython

Clarice Ashbridge wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:07 pm Madam Speaker,

As the Foreign Secretary will no doubt be aware, the Common Fisheries Policy of the European Union is much maligned by those involved in the fishing industry, and is an issue for fishermen the length and breadth of Britain, particularly those in the north east of Scotland who lose out due to trawlers from countries such as Spain and France taking advantage of the vast wealth of fish that we are blessed with in Scottish waters.

The Foreign Secretary is well placed to stand up for the interests of British fishermen abroad, and lead the charge for either a fundamental reform, or the scrapping of this policy in it's current form. When he next goes to Brussels, will the Foreign Secretary advocate for a resolution to this unfair policy?
Madam Speaker,

We, of course, will engage in constructive dialogue with the European Union where we feel we can provide benefits to the British people - the area of fisheries is no exception.

Return to “Question Time”