Communities & Local Government Questions

The most publicly-viewed, and least productive, part of the Parliamentarian's day when Ministers of the Crown are brought in front of the opposition and summarily raked over the coals. Of course, nothing is ever really asked and nothing is ever really answered, but it makes for good theatre.
Alexander 'Alec' Dundas
Constituency: Ochil and South Perthshire
XP: 0
Trait(s): None

Communities & Local Government Questions

Post by Alexander 'Alec' Dundas »

Order! Questions to the Secretary of State for Communities & Local Government
Rt Hon. Alexander 'Alec' Dundas QC MP
Secretary of State for the Union (2019-Present)
Member of Parliament for Ochil and South Perthshire (2017-Present)
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
Discord username: DylPickle

Re: Communities & Local Government Questions

Post by Rebecca Flair »

Madam Speaker,

Can the Government confirm whether they have any plans to reform to reform local government, and if yes how they will do so?
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
Brown
A-team
A-team
Trait(s):
Discord username: Brown#6350

Post by Brown »

Madam Speaker,

I thank the Hon. Lady for her question. This Government remains committed to its manifesto commitments to provide more power to local Governments. This Government has committed over the next 10 years to transforming the role of Local Government inside the United Kingdom, and we will be working hard to deliver that in various ways. This will include ensuring that Local Governments have greater autonomy to address their own affairs. So often, Local Governments form the most frequent contact of our citizens, dealing with critical issues facing our communities. We will continue to empower local councils, and provide them with the resources that they need to succeed. This Government is also committed to studying the possibilities of introducing directly-elected mayors of all of our major metropolitan areas, as well as the potential for directly elected regional governments.
What can Brown do for you?
Clarice Ashbridge
Constituency: Eastwood
XP: 3
Discord username: LegolasRedbard

Post by Clarice Ashbridge »

(as David Davis)

Madam Speaker,

In answering the last question put to him, the Right Honourable gentleman seemed to indicate that the government will pursue regional devolution in addition to continued reform of local government across the board. With the levels of bureaucracy and inefficiency already extant in our current two-tier approach to local government that exists in most areas, does the Secretary of State not agree that adding another layer of government is counter-productive to the ideal state of local government: that it should serve first and foremost local needs?
The Hon. Clarice Ashbridge MP, Lady Ashbridge
Scottish Conservative and Unionist
Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department (October 2001 - present)
Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities (June 2001 - present)
MP for Eastwood (2001 - present)
Brown
A-team
A-team
Trait(s):
Discord username: Brown#6350

Post by Brown »

Madam Speaker,

I thank the Hon. Gentleman for his question. As I mentioned in my last answer, this Government is committed to studying these issues, and the Member Opposite need not be afraid that I will be overtaken by the spirit of the Leader of the Opposition in rushing into half-baked legislation or proposing shoddy statutes. The Hon. Gentleman is quite right in stating that we must avoid creating inefficient bureaucracy, and we must make sure that any meaningful reform to local government is ultimately a net positive to helping the citizens of our Kingdom. I can assure the House that my department will proceed deliberately on this issue consulting with experts and stakeholders, so that any changes that we do present before this House will address the rightful concerns expressed by the Hon. Member, while also delivering on our promise to the British people to put more power into the hands of local governments so that these programs can be beneficial to the British people for generations to come.
What can Brown do for you?

Return to “Question Time”