Constitutional Affairs Questions

The most publicly-viewed, and least productive, part of the Parliamentarian's day when Ministers of the Crown are brought in front of the opposition and summarily raked over the coals. Of course, nothing is ever really asked and nothing is ever really answered, but it makes for good theatre.
Alexander 'Alec' Dundas
Constituency: Ochil and South Perthshire
XP: 0
Trait(s): None

Constitutional Affairs Questions

Post by Alexander 'Alec' Dundas »

Order! Questions to the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs
Rt Hon. Alexander 'Alec' Dundas QC MP
Secretary of State for the Union (2019-Present)
Member of Parliament for Ochil and South Perthshire (2017-Present)
Clarice Ashbridge
Constituency: Eastwood
XP: 3
Discord username: LegolasRedbard

Re: Constitutional Affairs Questions

Post by Clarice Ashbridge »

(as Angela Browning)

Madam Speaker,

May I first begin by welcoming the Right Honourable gentleman to his role? I expect us to have many spirited exchanges over this despatch box in the months and years to come.

Madam Speaker, the Right Honourable gentleman's department is a new one that has just been created following the reshuffle of the Cabinet conducted following the Prime Minister's appointment. Whilst changes to government roles are inevitable with a change of administration, the creation of this new department has come with little explanation as to why, and most importantly little explanation of what this department is actually for. Can the minister tell me, for the benefit of the House and for the country: what is his job?
The Hon. Clarice Ashbridge MP, Lady Ashbridge
Scottish Conservative and Unionist
Shadow Secretary of State for the Home Department (October 2001 - present)
Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities (June 2001 - present)
MP for Eastwood (2001 - present)
CWard
XP: 5
Discord username: CWard

Post by CWard »

Madam Speaker,

I thank the member for Eastwood for her welcome and congratulate her on her being named shadow. I too look forward to the healthy debate we will have in the future.

My role in this government as far as Constitutional affairs goes is to focus on making our government institutions more open and accessible for everyone. I also make sure that our promises to the new regional bodies are kept and we work with them for the betterment of everyone.
Calvin James Ward
Labour MP for Glasgow-Maryhill
Rebecca Flair
Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
XP: 0
Discord username: DylPickle

Post by Rebecca Flair »

Madam Speaker,

Does the Right Honourable Gentleman agree with me that regional assemblies, if approved by a public referendum, provide an excellent opportunity for local devolution and if yes will he please inform the House as to what steps are being taken to prepare for such a policy to be implemented?
Rebecca Flair
MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale 2010 - Present

Leader of the Liberal Democrats 2015 - Present
CWard
XP: 5
Discord username: CWard

Post by CWard »

Madam Speaker,

This Government is committed to our manifesto pledges and that includes making sure that Local Government has bouts the ability to helping the people. As far as regional governments after a referendum, that is something we are studying and will make a decision on when we have a full analysis
Calvin James Ward
Labour MP for Glasgow-Maryhill

Return to “Question Time”