Ward Hustings- London

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
John Knox
(@jknox)
Member Registered
Topic starter  

Good evening comrades! This leadership contest, we will determine not just the future of our party but also of our nation. A year ago we set forward our platform of working hard for working Britons, and we have done that. Under this government, we ended austerity, put more people to work, lifted millions from tax, lowered tuition fees, all while reducing the deficit. We have given the people the electoral reform they long have been asking for, all in a year’s time.

But today we must continue and carry on. There is still work to be done. I have been a party member all of my life, and one of my proudest moments is singing Jerusalem at out party conference. I believe that our brightest days are yet to come. We can continue and we must continue to build Britain according to our bright and bold vision. This evening I want to lay out my vision for our party and for our country. This evening we build a Labour Party and nation that is for the many, not the few.

Our party must be committed to ending zero hour contract exclusivity. As long as these remain, workers are exploited and forced to remain out of work. I believe in the dignity of working hard and providing for our families. It is imperative that we end these. Not in a year, not in a month, but now. We must build a just and fair society, but these exclusivity clauses are one of the greatest economic obstacles to upward mobility. As Leader, my first act will be to push through an end to exclusivity clauses.

At the same time, we live in a country where tenants have little recourse when their private rented house or flat becomes unlivable. They must still pay full rent regardless if their residence is properly maintained or up to standards. At the same time, many are being evicted from their homes, not without cause but simply at the landlord’s whim, often as a means to hike up rents. While some may claim that this is a noble attempt at rejuvenation, this is instead a means to drive out the many to make a profit from the few. This gentrification is just social cleansing of our poorest neighborhoods for profit. Rents for this up and coming generation are much higher than their parents or grandparents paid, that is not justice or equality.

But as the leader of this party I am committed to comprehensive tenants rights reform. We will give local councils the means to control rent prices and renters the means to form renters unions. We will increase the minimum standards for private rentals so that everyone has a home habitable for a human being. But we will make sure that slumlords will not get paid if they refuse to maintain adequate housing. Labour’s position will be clear- united together, tenants will be able to control costs, improve conditions, and maintain proper security. Simply put, we are working for the many, not the few.

We must be the party that seeks to support all of our cities, especially those coastal towns who struggle with a lack of opportunity. Education standards in these areas are low and the tourist industry in these areas is drying. But it need not be that way. Rail infrastructure and high quality broadband access to these areas will allow for better access both physically and digitally. As Leader, I will work with local councils to make sure there are strong and attainable goals for growth and success. Supporting our coastal towns is essential and small businesses are the key to our economic growth from the grassroots; not the top down, but from the bottom up. We are the party committed to giving those new entrepreneurs a chance to succeed.

If elected leader, I am committing to continue the work of the Prime Minister in regards to refugees and immigration. Away with the Project Farce of the Tories, and the double talk of “immigration is good but right now it’s not”. Immigrants bring to this country a hope and determination for a better life. I will stand up to the Conservatives fear mongering rhetoric. We are the ones creating a better society, a brighter future, and Britain that is strong and culturally diverse. We are building a country that is for the many, not the few.

As Leader and Prime Minister, I am committed to eliminating our deficit on schedule. We have already made great strides toward this. But we need a leader who is committed to our party and our principles. That means no rises in VAT rates, investing in infrastructure, schools, and our NHS. The Conservatives will say that it’s unsustainable, that it cannot be done. But it’s our day dawning. We will make sure that ethnic minorities and the LGBT have live in a country where they are given the dignity and respect they deserve just as decent human beings. The Conservatives will say it’s too much, that we’ve gone too far. But it’s our time. It’s Jerusalem we’re building. We’re continuing our work, building a Britain for the many, not the few.

But I cannot do this alone. I have sat on the back benches and in Cabinet. In this party, under my leadership, every member has a voice. My door will be open to the back benchers, who work hard representing their constituents. To them I say I need your help. You have the policy ideas that the people are calling on. Let’s get them done. To the hard working moms and dads, I see you- fighting for a hard day’s wage after a full day’s work. I need your help. I need your support. I need your trust. I am pledging here and now, I will not just fight- but will lead. We will continue on our great path to a brighter future. stand with me, in solidarity, to lead this party together. We will be the party fighting for workers, children, and pensioners. We will be the party of the many, not the few.

Calvin Ward Conservative MP for Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale

Parliamentary- 7
Media- 13
Policy- 6

Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Member Registered

Here you set out your leadership credentials, emphasizing the need for unity. Labour has taken a bit of battering here, your speech did turn heads (in a good way) and people see you as a leader, which is what you wanted to achieve, right?

2 + XP 

Dan

A-Team

ReplyQuote
Share: